PDA

View Full Version : 'Swiss Precision' - the story of the Thorens 124 turntable

Barry
02-06-2015, 17:39
For owners of the Thorens 124 turntable (as well as those who are merely interested in the model), I cannot recommend the book “Swiss Precision” by Joachim Bung (ISBN 978-3-00-021162-1) highly enough.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/Y2wAAOSwstxVGQ0p/$_57.JPG

It offers a fascinating account of the design and development of all the Thorens turntables from the early and little known TD184 through to the all-belt drive models: the TD150 and TD125, including the little known model developed for the American market the TD111. The book is lavishly illustrated with photographs of near-‘centre-fold’ quality; hence perhaps this book ought to be placed on the top shelf!

But more importantly the book has a sub-title: ‘The Story of the Thorens TD124 and Other Classic Turntables’, and those classic turntables discussed are of course the Garrard 301 and 401 designs and the Lenco (and Goldring Lenco), Dual, Empire, Sugden (Connoisseur), Perpetuum-Ebner and Rek-O-Kut designs. (Sorry no Technics! :() Again, equally lavish photographs accompany the discussion of these classic turntables.

In discussing turntables of the ‘60s, mention has to be made of the pick-up arms and cartridges that would have been used at the time. So it comes as no surprise to see the full discussion of SME and Ortofon products as well as Thorens’s own and those of Shure.

At £49.89 plus £10.85 shipping from Germany, the book is not cheap, but like Ken Kessler’s excellent book about Quad, Joachim Bung’s book is well worth it!

Go on, treat yourself to a copy – just regard it as an early Christmas present. :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271878198547?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

A.Grail
03-06-2015, 21:30
Joachim is a nice guy and is planning a second edition with an expanded section on Garrards at some point in the future

Barry
04-06-2015, 00:23
My copy is the revised and expanded 2nd edition, having 12 pages on the Garrard 301/401.

I'm sure more could be written about the Garrard designs, for example, the reason why Garrard changed from grease to oil lubricated bearing is not mentioned, nor are the various evolutionary changes that occurred with 401 discussed in detail. But then, the book is primarily concerned with the Thorens 124.

A.Grail
30-06-2015, 19:19
My copy is the revised and expanded 2nd edition, having 12 pages on the Garrard 301/401.

I'm sure more could be written about the Garrard designs, for example, the reason why Garrard changed from grease to oil lubricated bearing is not mentioned, nor are the various evolutionary changes that occurred with 401 discussed in detail. But then, the book is primarily concerned with the Thorens 124.

My apologies Barry, it must be the 3rd edition. Here's what I got back from Joachim:
"Dear Matthew, my coming book with a huge Garrard chapter (amazing photos from the Garrard production lines which I got from Brian Mortimer) is in good progress now."