PDA

View Full Version : Album Club, June 2015: Fleetwood Mac - 'Pious Bird of Good Omen'

Album Club
01-06-2015, 20:01
The Album Club choice for June, comes courtesy of Martin (high spirits) with ‘The Pious Bird of Good Omen’ by Fleetwood Mac. Please listen to the album in its entirety before you vote.

The Pious Bird of Good Omen

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61Cl4GiuyqL._SY355_.jpg

I have chosen this album as it brings back so many memories of my teenage days. As a compilation album it includes so many excellent tracks.

Peter Green at his best supported so well by Danny Kirwen and Jeremy Spencer and John McVie.
I like the short 1 minute 34 ‘Jigsaw Puzzle Blues’ on side 2, so different from the norm.
I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

The Pious Bird of Good Omen is a compilation album by Fleetwood Mac, released in 1969. It consisted of the first four UK singles and their B-sides, two other tracks from their previous two albums, and two tracks by blues artist Eddie Boyd with backing by members of Fleetwood Mac. These two tracks came from Boyd's album 7936 South Rhodes.

The title of the album is a phrase found in an 1817 gloss (marginal note) to Samuel Taylor Coleridge's 1798 epic poem The Rime of the Ancient Mariner. The phrase refers to the albatross killed in the poem. ("The ancient Mariner inhospitably killeth the pious bird of good omen."). It's use as an album title as well as the album art is a sly wink to the featuring of the band's number 1 UK hit "Albatross." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pious_Bird_of_Good_Omen)

https://play.spotify.com/album/0G4x2AqGbajCGoSR08wOhc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYV88w9iF7M&list=PLHvuWGQWi_8OQkzNSkcp3yW5UAIaQ-H26&index=3

Audio Al
02-06-2015, 07:49
I can't listen 2 this as I don't do Facebook

Marco
02-06-2015, 11:39
Use the Spotify link, daftee! ;)

You don't automatically need Facebook, to have Spotify.

Marco.

Audio Al
02-06-2015, 14:39
As soon as I click on the Spotify link it as me 2 sign into Facebook

Barry
02-06-2015, 14:55
OK - try: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHvuWGQWi_8OQkzNSkcp3yW5UAIaQ-H26 and click on 'Play all'.

Audio Al
02-06-2015, 15:02
OK - try: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHvuWGQWi_8OQkzNSkcp3yW5UAIaQ-H26 and click on 'Play all'.

You the MAN Barry :D

Thank you

Now listening ;)

Roy S
02-06-2015, 15:18
8 from me (but not for the 2004 release)

Marco
02-06-2015, 15:48
For me, a superb album - and one I don't have from FM, so I intend to get it. Need to find a nice copy on vinyl.

9 out of 10, for me! :cool:

Marco.

Audio Al
02-06-2015, 16:15
I just listened and to be honest am slightly disappointed

Repetative , lots of F--cking , only 2 tracks were familiar , sort of lost the plot from the original path of FM

its a 6 from me :(

Bazil
02-06-2015, 18:07
Never heard of this album probably because its a compilation , I've been looking for a greatest hits from this band (Peter Green era) so I probably try and get this.

Albatross was the very first record I ever bought , still got it , I think :scratch:

high.spirits
07-06-2015, 12:01
Glad to know some of you like it.

In the mid 1990s a double CD was produced:
"Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac live at the BBC".

This highlighted the talents of individual members of the band, much not heard before and a wide variation of styles. The notes with the CD make good reading.
Worth a listen if you get the chance.

spm
07-06-2015, 16:43
very good, familiar with some of the tracks but not all. Struggled with whether to give it a 7 or 8 but in the end went with an 8.

RichB
09-06-2015, 10:30
A solid 8 from me, classic stuff.

Although the Spotify version with multiple takes of 'Need You' were a bit tiresome after a while. Studio banter is entertaining though.

Roy S
09-06-2015, 11:17
multiple takes of 'Need You' were a bit tiresome after a while. Studio banter is entertaining though.

That's the 2004 release, try and get a listen to the original.

high.spirits
10-06-2015, 08:33
That's the 2004 release, try and get a listen to the original.

Yes the Spotify version has a lot more on it compared to the original vinyl.

lovejoy
11-06-2015, 21:56
My first contribution to the album club thread having not long found it (observant me ;-)).

This album brings back some memories. I grew up knowing Fleetwood Mac as the pop band it is today. It wasn't until my final year at school that a friend of mine who was getting very good at the guitar played me 'need your love so bad' and it came as a bit of a shock, but I loved it instantly and it opened my eyes to the fact that Fleetwood Mac had been a much more interesting band before 'Tango in the night' came out. It wasn't until then I realised that Albatross was theirs too. It was one of those songs I'd often hear playing on Radio 1 in Medium Wave in the kitchen as my mum was cooking dinner on a Sunday afternoon and as a kid it epitomised everything I hated about Sundays - being stuck indoors, the rain, crap on TV (and radio), nothing to do, having to eat vegetables that had been boiled to within an inch of their existence. Amazing that I eventually came to love this track.

Seeing this post gave me a good excuse to dig out the vinyl copy I picked up for £1 about 2 years ago at a car boot sale, and as much as I dislike compilations, I'm giving this an 8 just because of the quality of the songs. It's a bit disjointed as you'd expect from the vast majority of compilations, and there's some nasty edits in there - How dare you fade out 'Need your love so bad' so abruptly, but it captures a band that are completely comfortable with what they are doing and it's just great to hear Peter Green's voice.

high.spirits
12-06-2015, 08:46
My first contribution to the album club thread having not long found it (observant me ;-)).

This album brings back some memories. I grew up knowing Fleetwood Mac as the pop band it is today. It wasn't until my final year at school that a friend of mine who was getting very good at the guitar played me 'need your love so bad' and it came as a bit of a shock, but I loved it instantly and it opened my eyes to the fact that Fleetwood Mac had been a much more interesting band before 'Tango in the night' came out. It wasn't until then I realised that Albatross was theirs too. It was one of those songs I'd often hear playing on Radio 1 in Medium Wave in the kitchen as my mum was cooking dinner on a Sunday afternoon and as a kid it epitomised everything I hated about Sundays - being stuck indoors, the rain, crap on TV (and radio), nothing to do, having to eat vegetables that had been boiled to within an inch of their existence. Amazing that I eventually came to love this track.

Seeing this post gave me a good excuse to dig out the vinyl copy I picked up for £1 about 2 years ago at a car boot sale, and as much as I dislike compilations, I'm giving this an 8 just because of the quality of the songs. It's a bit disjointed as you'd expect from the vast majority of compilations, and there's some nasty edits in there - How dare you fade out 'Need your love so bad' so abruptly, but it captures a band that are completely comfortable with what they are doing and it's just great to hear Peter Green's voice.

It's good to know there are the slightly younger ones getting to know the original Fleetwood Mac.
The compilation gives a clue to the broad spectrum of the band's abilities, which is very broad and each member brings something different to the band.
Always worth digging out some of there other LPs.

Barry
12-06-2015, 10:28

Excellent post Richard. Exactly the reason the Album Club was set up: to remind members of some of the albums they may have, or to introduce albums to those that may have not heard them. :)

struth
22-06-2015, 17:20
Well one of the classic blues albums of its day and still up there with anything since tbh. Love all the tracks; need your love, black magic woman and Believe My Time Ain't Long are my favorites, plus you get the iconic "Albatross" as a bonus........... lots of variations of the album so excuse me if some of the tracks are different....10/10

high.spirits
23-06-2015, 08:28
Well one of the classic blues albums of its day and still up there with anything since tbh. Love all the tracks; need your love, black magic woman and Believe My Time Ain't Long are my favorites, plus you get the iconic "Albatross" as a bonus........... lots of variations of the album so excuse me if some of the tracks are different....10/10

:thumbsup:

Bazil
03-09-2015, 08:03
I didn't like it , just too much Blues for me , Albatross , Black Magic Woman , yes but not the rest. Of this era I liked Oh Well , Man of the World also Green Manalishi all popular singles and not bluesy. 5/10