PDA

View Full Version : Bit of fettling for a Fidelity Research FR64s and fitting to a TD-124

Magna Audio
31-05-2015, 10:57
A regular customer of mine recently acquired a FR64s.
Unfortunately it was slightly damaged in transit - the lateral weight rod pulled out. This was threaded into a brass ferrule. Only 2mm at most the threads were damaged.
I made a new rod and securely attached it.
The lift arm radius (not original but a nice piece) also need a bit of attention as it was too high to be used with the intended headshell and cartridge - soon sorted.

The other thing was the desire to run the arm at a spindle to pivot distance of 231.5mm instead of the recommended 230mm.

Several owners have written about the benefits of 231.5mm. I run mine like that with my SPU Royal N.

At this distance the FR64s is right on the limit of what the TD-124 can manage. The large FR64s armbase nut is also large to accomodate.
With some careful enlarging of the plinth it fits nicely and does not foul the metalwork - essential to ensure arm / armboard / plinth acoustic relationship is kept right.

A very nice combination indeed with the right cartridge.

The customer reported "it's sounding the best it's ever sounded. More relaxed and open, more 3D... Definitely worth changing the distance (spindle to pivot), it seems to have made everything click in. Arm lift height is perfect now"

Another job sorted.