PDA

View Full Version : Caiman DAC

Marktdac
10-09-2009, 21:19
Hi all just signed up to ask a question ,and probably a lot more in future!

Just ordered the Caimen Dac and noticed on reciept that the power supply is £15 extra not complaining about this , but is this an upgrade ,do u get 2 power supplys ? the standard and an upgraded one?

Or is this just the extra u pay for one upgraded power supply?

If u get what i mean!

Many thanks Mark

Alex_UK
10-09-2009, 21:36
Hi Mark - quick answer - I don't recall from my invoice seeing a seperate PSU, but it just came with the one. That said, there has been talk/rumour of an improved PSU for the Caiman - so maybe - Stan? (if not, do you have any more info on the upgraded one?)

We usually get asked to do an "intro" post in the Welcome section, if you would be so kind - details of your system, music you like etc - maybe post some pics in the gallery - above all, have fun - like most things in life, you'll get out of the forum what you put in... don't be shy, give it a try! ;)

DaveK
10-09-2009, 21:46
Hi all just signed up to ask a question ,and probably a lot more in future!

Just ordered the Caimen Dac and noticed on reciept that the power supply is £15 extra not complaining about this , but is this an upgrade ,do u get 2 power supplys ? the standard and an upgraded one?

Or is this just the extra u pay for one upgraded power supply?

If u get what i mean!

Many thanks Mark

Hi Mark,
You should really ask Stan Beresford this question. PM him on the forum, StanleyB is his username - he's a nice man, (a very nice man :) ), I'm sure that he will give you a full and satifactory answer, and a refund if he has made a mistake.
Cheers,

Marktdac
10-09-2009, 22:31
Ok lads thanks for replies will introduce myself and put some pics on tomorrow .

As for power supply i will wait till it turns up ,its still only £190 not includeing {vat and post}

Mark

StanleyB
10-09-2009, 22:47
The power supply is separately mentioned and priced on the invoice, because there are three different types of mains cable versions: US, UK, and EU/UNI. So in order to avoid mistakes when picking the mains cable that the customer has specified in his order, each type has its own part number. And for accounting purposes there has to be a cost price for each item:).

Stan

Labarum
11-09-2009, 07:09
I had one of the first batch of Caimans. The DAC was billed at £200 and the power supply at a notional £2.25. VAT was then added at 15%.

I wonder how much difference the new power supply makes.

StanleyB
11-09-2009, 08:24
It is the same power supply Brian. In the beginning I put the cost of the mains cable on the invoice, but there was an accounting issue that affected the stock count. So the invoice is now broken down into DAC and power supply.

The Caiman is NOT shipping with a new power supply, as suggested by some. Please read up on the DacMagic power supply notice to get an idea why I am very cautious about releasing any new power supply until I am totally satisfied that mine is safe, legal, and beneficial.
When that moment arrives I shall mention it. Until then, I would appreciate it if you guys don't start confusing others with all sorts of rumours and wild guesses.

Stan

Labarum
11-09-2009, 08:28
It is the same power supply Brian.

Well I thought I had missed something and was expecting a big splash when the new one came out.

STILL THE OLD power supply. Noted.

StanleyB
11-09-2009, 08:43
The Caiman is not being shipped with an old power supply:doh:.

Any potential Caiman buyer would be doing the right thing by contacting me for the correct information. Based on what others are writing, if I was thinking of buying a Caiman, I would be confused by now as to what power supply it is shipping with:confused:. The comments are extremely unhelpful to say the least.

Stan

Labarum
11-09-2009, 09:17
Then more clarity in your publicity would help Stan.

I have a 7510 supplied with a power supply in the plugtop - are you calling that the old one?

I have a first batch Caiman with an in line supply that looks like the T13-22X, but as I said I cannot open the "more info" rollover to verify that.

And do we await another? The one you are quite excited about and cannot be released till the health and safety Czar's have prononced.

Is that right?

nb2
11-09-2009, 09:26

I agree.
Reading the website, it seems quite obvious that the caiman is described as an improved version of the TC-7520.
So I wouldn't bother to ask specifically about this question.
A normal reader takes for granted that it is supplied at least with the TC-7520 power supply.

Beside, the new power supply was announced to available on the website in May 2009.
It is now on the products list, but my browser seems unable to order it alone.

Is it just a problem with my browser, or the same for everybody ?

StanleyB
11-09-2009, 09:38

I am afraid to say that you are talking out of tune Brian. If you had bothered to pay proper attention, you would have noted that I mentioned over and over again in various threads that the Caiman is a modified TC-7520, and that it is being shipped with the TC-7520 power supply. What more clarity is needed???

Stan

StanleyB
11-09-2009, 09:48
Reading the website, it seems quite obvious that the caiman is described as an improved version of the TC-7520.
So I wouldn't bother to ask specifically about this question.
A normal reader takes for granted that it is supplied at least with the TC-7520 power supply.
That is what I would have expected that any normal person would understand. However, due to misplaced suggestions it is now becoming so confusing for the likes of even me:doh:.

What is happening, from what I can see, is that some people are giving the impression that Caiman is available with an alternative power supply. That is however not the case.
What is in my product line up for the future is an additional power supply. However, that is for the future. What is available now is a modified TC-7520, called the Caiman, with the matching TC-7520 power supply.

Anyone not clear about it yet?

Stan

nb2
11-09-2009, 09:57
That is what I would have expected that any normal person would understand. However, due to misplaced suggestions it is now becoming so confusing for the likes of even me:doh:.

What is happening, from what I can see, is that some people are giving the impression that Caiman is available with an alternative power supply. That is however not the case.
What is in my product line up for the future is an additional power supply. However, that is for the future. What is available now is a modified TC-7520, called the Caiman, with the matching TC-7520 power supply.

Anyone not clear about it yet?

Stan

Sorry, reading this thread, I still don't understand ... :)
When you order a caiman, do you have to pay for the power supply in addition to the Caiman price or not ?

If yes, that obviously means that the Caiman, with its shown price doesn't include a power supply ... and that can hardly be understood by any sensible person.

If no, I don't understand the original poster question. I understood he had to pay for the power supply, in addition to the Caiman price.

Marktdac
11-09-2009, 10:12
Thanks Stan dac turned up this morning excellent service .Listening to it now with my laptop and headphones

Not got round to connecting to my amp yet. Even though its only been on 3/4 hr and nowhere near burned on the headphone side its a big inprovement over my Pro-ject headamp

http://i31.tinypic.com/sylcnk.jpg

http://i28.tinypic.com/2hxvc0j.jpg

Some pics includeing the power supply:eyebrows:

NRG
11-09-2009, 10:21
Sorry, reading this thread, I still don't understand ... :)
When you order a caiman, do you have to pay for the power supply in addition to the Caiman price or not ?

If yes, that obviously means that the Caiman, with its shown price doesn't include a power supply ... and that can hardly be understood by any sensible person.

If no, I don't understand the original poster question. I understood he had to pay for the power supply, in addition to the Caiman price.

I feel for you Stan. :) nb2, no, it comes with a power supply all in the one price.

Marktdac
11-09-2009, 10:29
The Caimen is £175 +£15 for power supply then VAT and postage to be added

Its worth it though excellent well made bit of kit

Some people say it bland to look at .I dont think so it simple and functional just like all electronic equipment should be especially HIFI

Mark

Marktdac
11-09-2009, 10:45
To cut a long story short its £232.29 all in and well worth it

U cant even see the Caimen on the UK sight . I emailed him to ask about availability and price earlier in the week ,paid yesterday turned up today .

U cant get better service than that

Mark:cool:

The Vinyl Adventure
11-09-2009, 11:01
its not hard guys!

when you buy a dac of stan he sends you the apropriate psu! hes not going to send you the wrong, or indeed 2 psu's is he?? why would he??
and if, like when i bought my 7520, there was a new psu iminant he would email you and let you know upon ordering.
any future developments are discussed on here but i would say nothing should be speculated on unless stan says "new psu available"

stan is a independant company working very hard to provide you guys with the best quality dac for the best money he can - picking at how he chooses to write out his recipts, in my view, is a waste of your and his time!

Marktdac
11-09-2009, 11:07
Exactly ,anyway onto somthin else

How long do u think it needs to be run in and is there anyway of doing it apart from the obvious !

Stratmangler
11-09-2009, 11:09
Exactly ,anyway onto somthin else

How long do u think it needs to be run in and is there anyway of doing it apart from the obvious !

Couple of hundred hours with signal.

Chris:)

The Vinyl Adventure
11-09-2009, 11:14
i left both mine running in the office system at low volume for a week... just turning it up when i went to do some work! that worked pretty well .. that said to me the main difference was after about a day! after that any difference was negligable in the cicumstances i was using it! others report different but it depends on circumstance and how much note you are taking of the sound on a day to day basis! as mine were in my office system i was always working when i was listening so my consentration was else where!

Marktdac
11-09-2009, 11:23
Call me thick ,but is it possible to connect the Caimen up to my Nad CD/AMP without useing the coaxial ,so i can use the headphone side instead of the one built in to the nad

My Project has 2 inputs to take a signal from the tape out

Thanks Mark

StanleyB
11-09-2009, 11:24
Now going back to what I wrote several replies ago; the DAC and the power supply each have their own part number and cost in our accounting system. The invoices are created based on what has to be shipped. That means DAC plus power supply. If you feel cheated and that I sold you the DAC far more expensive than is listed on the invoice, please send it back and I shall refund you the cost of your purchase plus the cost of the return postage for you to send the DAC back:). I prefer a satisfied former customer than an unsatisfied existing customer.

Stan

The Vinyl Adventure
11-09-2009, 11:27
Call me thick ,but is it possible to connect the Caimen up to my Nad CD/AMP without useing the coaxial ,so i can use the headphone side instead of the one built in to the nad

Thanks Mark

useing coaxial out of the cd player wont effect the headphone amp on board you amp/cd player.. the amp in the dac in better though anyway!

Stratmangler
11-09-2009, 11:28

Thanks Mark

No.

Marktdac
11-09-2009, 11:33
So basicly u cant use the caimens headamp without going thru its DAC as well?

Stratmangler
11-09-2009, 11:34
So basicly u cant use the caimens headamp without going thru its DAC as well?

Correct.

Marktdac
11-09-2009, 11:40
So basicly u cant use the Caimens headamp without going through the dac,incidently what actually comes out of the single coaxial out on the back of my NAD cd player

Thanks again {looks like iv opened a can of worms here}:o

The Vinyl Adventure
11-09-2009, 11:44
the coax out on your cd player is a digital output
dac - digital to analogue converter - digital inputs and analoge outputs
you cd player has a dac in it
the beresford is an external dac that is more than likely better than the one in your nad cd player

Marco
11-09-2009, 11:46
Guys,

Particularly nb2 (and anyone else involved),

Could we please leave details of financial transactions off of the main forum? If you have anything to discuss of this nature with Stan please use the PM facility. Stan, this also applies to you if you have anything to dispute with customers.

Any future discussions of this nature will be removed without further warning.

Cheers :)

Marco.

The Vinyl Adventure
11-09-2009, 11:51
So basicly u cant use the Caimens headamp without going through the dac,incidently what actually comes out of the single coaxial out on the back of my NAD cd player

Thanks again {looks like iv opened a can of worms here}:o

tell us the exact purpose that you bought the unit for, and we can get this thread back on to a lighter note, and give you a run down of all the other great things that stans dacs do!

Marktdac
11-09-2009, 11:52
Ok thanks lads it now connected through the coaxial out on my cd player ,

The main reason for buying was for use with laptop and headphones ,but a may aswell make use of the other inputs see if its better than the DAC in my cd player

Mark

The Vinyl Adventure
11-09-2009, 11:53
do you find it improves the sound of the cd player?
which nad amp do you have?

Marktdac
11-09-2009, 12:01
Its to early to tell yet besides i need another interconnect to connect back up to my amp at the moment im useing the headphone out

I always thought that the dac in the Nad C515 cd player worked well anyway

The amp is the c315

Gazjam
11-09-2009, 12:25
Some people say it bland to look at .I dont think so it simple and functional just like all electronic equipment should be especially HIFI

Mark

Agreed Mark. It looks great in my rack, very much like proper "old skool" Audiolab amps!

:)

I would say to anyone out there who starts feeling grumped about anythng Standac related.....

take a second to think about any other Manufacturer who offers a product of this Quality at this price and who gives this level of service.

Pretty rare in the Industry I gotta say.

How many folks sources have suddenly became comparable to hi end CD players thanks to this Dac?

Just a thought.... :)

The Vinyl Adventure
11-09-2009, 12:28
Its to early to tell yet besides i need another interconnect to connect back up to my amp at the moment im useing the headphone out

I always thought that the dac in the Nad C515 cd player worked well anyway

The amp is the c315

dont underestimate the power of the stan-dac :eyebrows::lolsign:

does your amp have the option to connect directly into the power amp?
a lot of nad amps have that option it could be interesting to see if the standac would act as a better pre amp than the pre in your nad...
of course you would loose the option to connect any analogue sources and you would have no remote control...
but the sound quality might be better!
give the dac a little while to settle down and then get fiddleing! :)
it really is a great bit of kit with a world of uses

The Vinyl Adventure
11-09-2009, 12:33
Agreed Mark. It looks great in my rack, very much like proper "old skool" Audiolab amps!

:)

I would say to anyone out there who starts feeling grumped about anythng Standac related.....

take a second to think about any other Manufacturer who offers a product of this Quality at this price and who gives this level of service.

Pretty rare in the Industry I gotta say.

How many folks sources have suddenly became comparable to hi end CD players thanks to this Dac?

Just a thought.... :)

and a thought well stated...
i personally think stan (and dave cawley for that matter) should be awarded some type of aos award for excelence of services provided!!

the way they choose to run thier respective companies (in my personal experience) is rare these days and should IMO be awarded, not questioned!

Marktdac
11-09-2009, 12:34
No theres no option to connect to a power amp ,unless u can use the tape out?

Is the tape out signal before or after the power amp side?

The Vinyl Adventure
11-09-2009, 12:48
No theres no option to connect to a power amp ,unless u can use the tape out?

Is the tape out signal before or after the power amp side?

the tape out is for outputting a signal from the amp at a fixed level.

what you need is a "main in" (i think thats what nad call it) it would be connected by a little u shaped metalpin to the amps "pre-out" if you had it

Codifus
11-09-2009, 12:49
dont underestimate the power of the stan-dac :eyebrows::lolsign:

does your amp have the option to connect directly into the power amp?
a lot of nad amps have that option it could be interesting to see if the standac would act as a better pre amp than the pre in your nad...
of course you would loose the option to connect any analogue sources and you would have no remote control...
but the sound quality might be better!
give the dac a little while to settle down and then get fiddleing! :)
it really is a great bit of kit with a world of uses

That's exactly what I did with my Yamaha AX-596. I completely bypassed the pre-amp and connected my 7520 directly to the power amp section. I could not believe how much I had been missing before, and I'm listening to my whole music collection again because of this change. It's literally like a whole new system.

Now I have to find a way to input all my analog sources,:( because I am definitely not going back.

CD

The Vinyl Adventure
11-09-2009, 12:53
That's exactly what I did with my Yamaha AX-596. I completely bypassed the pre-amp and connected my 7520 directly to the power amp section. I could not believe how much I had been missing before, and I'm listening to my whole music collection again because of this change. It's literally like a whole new system.

Now I have to find a way to input all my analog sources,:( because I am definitely not going back.

CD

lean on stan to make a a full blown pre amp.. its been suggested to him before! from what i remember he really likes being nagged to design more expensive higher end products ;)

The Grand Wazoo
11-09-2009, 12:54

CD

Maybe we can persuade Stan to put together a switchable Analogue to Digital convertor for just that purpose.

......Stan??

Marktdac
11-09-2009, 12:56
No it doesnt have that uv got ur usual array of inputs and a tape loop in/out ,thats it

Its nads bottom of the range sounds good but not much in the way of extras ,does me anyway

Have now got Caimen connected to amp , and to be honest can not here the slightest bit of diffrence when i switch over the inputs on the amp

It doesnt matter whether im useing the dac in the cd player or the dac in the Caimen ,to me i cant really tell any difference ,but its early days yet

And like i said previously i always thought the nad cd sounded excellent

Mark

The Grand Wazoo
11-09-2009, 13:04
That doesn't sound right to me, Mark (not that I doubt what you're hearing).
Are you sure you've got it all connected properly?
You really should be hearing a significant difference, I'd have thought.

The Vinyl Adventure
11-09-2009, 13:04
i used to have a c320 amp that had the relevent conections.. i guess the c315 is prob just a more simple version of the one i had! .. i used to love my nad kit!
i guess if you cant hear a difference its not worth doing... give it a chance to burn in though like you say and give it another go... its def worth a try!

Marktdac
11-09-2009, 13:10
It doesnt bother me about gettin better sound out of my cd player its the laptop and headphone side im really looking at

At the moment though iv not got a proper coaxial lead im useing one side of a QED interconnect ,iv read it needs to be 75 ohms maybe thats the problem ?

What are u lot useing in the way of coaxial leads my interconnects are a cimbination of chord and qed

Mark

The Vinyl Adventure
11-09-2009, 13:13
It doesnt bother me about gettin better sound out of my cd player its the laptop and headphone side im really looking at

well you have done the right thing buying a standac then :)
its very good at that sort of thing!

Gazjam
11-09-2009, 13:54
Just a daft thought, and kinda going with the thread flow...

I want to eventually get a poweramp (2nd hand Quad or whatever) to run my Dac as a Pre...but my current Cambridge 640A amp doesnt have the sockets like the Nad/Yamaha.

BUT...

I have the 540R Av reciever, with Pre-outs and 6.1 direct In sockets.
From the web other folk have used the 540R as a poweramp, and if I can try my 7520 this way (even just as a test) It would be great.

Anyone any pointers how I can do this (if it CAN be done?)

Ta.

Tripmaster
11-09-2009, 13:55
Hi

Just out of interest, what is Stans background with regards to audio electronics?

Richard

Gazjam
11-09-2009, 14:06
Extremely prolific.
Why?

Whats your background? ;)

The Vinyl Adventure
11-09-2009, 14:15
Just a daft thought, and kinda going with the thread flow...

I want to eventually get a poweramp (2nd hand Quad or whatever) to run my Dac as a Pre...but my current Cambridge 640A amp doesnt have the sockets like the Nad/Yamaha.

BUT...

I have the 540R Av reciever, with Pre-outs and 6.1 direct In sockets.
From the web other folk have used the 540R as a poweramp, and if I can try my 7520 this way (even just as a test) It would be great.

Anyone any pointers how I can do this (if it CAN be done?)

Ta.

im not familiar with the 540r but you would just take a pair of phonos out the adjustable output of the dac and into the front channel inputs of the amp

my av amp only has multi channel in though which doesnt bypass the volume control.. it is just for allowing the dvd/sacd/blu-ray(whatever) decode on board then output analogue to the amp.

this would be what i would expect your av amp to have... but i might be wrong - as i said i dont know the amp in question - im just speaking from experience of similar equipment!

Tripmaster
11-09-2009, 14:25
Extremely prolific.
Why?

Whats your background? ;)

I am aware of his highly praised dacs, I just wondered what he may have been involved with before.

I mainly have an IT background but have always had a keen interest in audio. I have my dad to thank for that!

Richard

Gazjam
11-09-2009, 14:42
Why dont you ask Stan?
(Its not unreasonable that folk might not want their business on an open forum though) :)

Tripmaster
11-09-2009, 14:55
Why dont you ask Stan?
(Its not unreasonable that folk might not want their business on an open forum though) :)

That's true...I'm sure he will answer if he wants to.

I'll stop being nosey :o

Brian
11-09-2009, 15:19
Now going back to what I wrote several replies ago; the DAC and the power supply each have their own part number and cost in our accounting system. The invoices are created based on what has to be shipped. That means DAC plus power supply. If you feel cheated and that I sold you the DAC far more expensive than is listed on the invoice, please send it back and I shall refund you the cost of your purchase plus the cost of the return postage for you to send the DAC back:). I prefer a satisfied former customer than an unsatisfied existing customer.

Stan

Stan,

If anyone feels the need to take you up on this offer will you in turn accept an offer of 50% off the full retail price for this now "used" DAC. ;)

My sympathies, Stan. You're a credit to the word "patience."

Brian

Gazjam
11-09-2009, 15:26
im not familiar with the 540r but you would just take a pair of phonos out the adjustable output of the dac and into the front channel inputs of the amp

my av amp only has multi channel in though which doesnt bypass the volume control.. it is just for allowing the dvd/sacd/blu-ray(whatever) decode on board then output analogue to the amp.

this would be what i would expect your av amp to have... but i might be wrong - as i said i dont know the amp in question - im just speaking from experience of similar equipment!

Thanks Hamish,
The 540R only has multichannel in as well, I wondered if I could just connect the variable out of the Dac to the front in sockets on the AV amp.
I guess its just the DVD player decoding that gives it output when using my main amp to drive the two fronts watching movies.
Tried it, no sound.

Ah well - need to wait longer till I try the Caiman as a Preamp!

Gaz.

Ali Tait
11-09-2009, 16:08
Don't know the amp Gaz,but are there any audio options in the setup menu? It may be one of these would allow you to do what you want to do.

Gazjam
11-09-2009, 16:56
Don't know the amp Gaz,but are there any audio options in the setup menu? It may be one of these would allow you to do what you want to do.

Thanks Ali, I might dig out the manual see what it says.

Stratmangler
11-09-2009, 17:51
I might dig out the manual see what it says.

Manual ?

Wassatfor ?

Chris:lolsign:

Gazjam
11-09-2009, 17:52
Manual ?

Wassatfor ?

Chris:lolsign:

Spanish waiter, innit?

Ali Tait
11-09-2009, 18:05
It's for when you've spent ages mucking about and can't get it to do what you want! :lolsign:

StanleyB
11-09-2009, 19:44
Just out of interest, what is Stans background with regards to audio electronics?
I have a wide electronics background. As far as the audio side is concerned, I designed the world's third portable mp3 player called the MPress3 in 1997. I also designed the THOR range of interconnect, and the THOR Automatic HDMI selector. I also designed the first decent IR headphone, and one of the first RF headphone approved for use in the UK. At the same time I designed the first legally approved consumer video sender for use in the UK. I was also the first to design an automatic SCART switch (1996). I was technical manager at a company called Philex during that time, so I got just my monthly salary.
That's just the audio side of it. I also designed some video and networking stuff.
Way before that, I was one of the first UK trained CD repair engineer in 1983. People like me were needed to be on standby for the release of the first generation of CD players. Later on I ended up as training manager for Lasky's repair department, teaching others how to fix CD players...

Stan

apmusson
12-09-2009, 15:05
Hi Guys,

I have both a caiman (with AD826 opamps) and a 7520 (with THS4032 opamps). I have just purchased a second hand pair of AKG 701 headphones. I understand that they are low impedance but require a high current to make the best of them.

I was wondering whether any of you have experience of these headphones with either the 7520 or Caiman and have any recommendations. Will I need an additional headphone amp to make the best of them?

Ade

Labarum
12-09-2009, 15:22
Stan must speak for himself, but he told me either the 7520 ore the Caiman will drive the AKG 701s well.

On Stan's recommendation I bough some Sony F1s and have not been disappointed.

Werner Berghofer
13-09-2009, 10:26
Brian,
either the 7520 ore the Caiman will drive the AKG 701s wellI’m happy when listening via my AKG K701 headphones directly connected to the Caiman or the TC-7520 DAC. However, if I connect the headphones to my Yamaha AX-592 integrated amplifier the music’s punch and volume are increased.

My ears might not be the best; I prefer connecting the headphones to the integrated amplifier.

Marktdac
13-09-2009, 12:40
That what i thought when i purchased a Pro-ject headphone amp {incidently made in Austria ,Vienna!},that the headphone out on my nad amp had more punch and volume.

BUT once u start to listen with proper headphone amps u realise that the extra punch and volume from an intergrated amps headphone socket is only through lots more distortion

Mark

MartinT
13-09-2009, 18:46
i personally think stan (and dave cawley for that matter) should be awarded some type of aos award for excelence of services provided!!

Amen to that. I am a very satisfied customer of both these gents and the service and support has been tremendous.

The Vinyl Adventure
13-09-2009, 19:16
Here we go marco, it's good idea!

ZebuTheOxen
13-09-2009, 21:02
Brian,I’m happy when listening via my AKG K701 headphones directly connected to the Caiman or the TC-7520 DAC. However, if I connect the headphones to my Yamaha AX-592 integrated amplifier the music’s punch and volume are increased.

My ears might not be the best; I prefer connecting the headphones to the integrated amplifier.
I'm finding my Caimanised 7520 DAC lacks some of the bassy punch and guitar growl the 7520 had before.

I'll report back once I've put the recommended 36k resistors in. Fingers crossed!