PDA

View Full Version : Blown satellite box repair question

eisenach
23-05-2015, 11:31
Before I part with some money for someone just to look at it, can anyone offer knowledgeable advice, please.

Water ingress at the LNB during the bad weather a couple of weeks ago blew the school's Fransat satellite decoder. There were definite sparks and an acrid smell in the classroom, but on removing the lid, I can't see any burnt bits ! The box cost around £100 and came from France, so is awkward to replace until the summer holidays.

Question: is it repairable, and if so, is it worthwhile financially.

Macca
23-05-2015, 13:31
Is this the same thing?
http://www.satellitesuperstore.com/frenchtv.htm#francesathd

£169 - I doubt the repair will be cheaper unless you get mates rates. And it could cost you £50 just for an inspection and then hear 'sorry mate it's knackered'.

Brigadoon
23-05-2015, 14:40
+1. Highly unlikely to be cheaper than getting a new one

Firebottle
23-05-2015, 16:10
If it was water in the LNB then the voltage feed up to the LNB has probably been shorted out.
There is a small inductor very close to the LNB rear connector on the box, usually mounted on the pcb inside the metal can holding the LNB connector. It might even be a surface mount inductor.

It is very likely that this has burnt out. The covers on the metal can are usually removable by prising off with a screwdriver. Sometimes there may be a soldered lug that has to be released first.

Disconnect form the mains before investigating!

:) Alan

eisenach
23-05-2015, 17:50
Thanks everyone.
The Boulanger branded box nolonger seems to be available, but for a similar number of £ as I paid for the defunct box (thanks to the exchange rate) I can now get an HD box. Probably the best solution !
It will wait until the summer.