PDA

View Full Version : Damn clever...

shane
10-09-2009, 15:19
Can't wait for the Russ Abbott unobtanium-plated version.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/the-folding-plug-a-revolution-for-consumer-electronics-1777202.html

The Vinyl Adventure
10-09-2009, 16:08
thats one of those things that gives the standard "crap, why didnt i think of that" response! that guy is going to make a seriously large amount of money!!!

DaveK
10-09-2009, 16:13
thats one of those things that gives the standard "crap, why didnt i think of that" response! that guy is going to make a seriously large amount of money!!!

And so he should, IMHO - more useful than a bloody plastic vacuum cleaner!!

The Vinyl Adventure
10-09-2009, 17:14
I quite like the look of the dyson with the big ball wheel thing ...

Il tell you what fasinates me more though.. Things that are perfect in thier design! Things that do what they are suposed to - nothing more, mother less! Eg Zippo lighters
I can't remember where I read it, but I read a quote today, can't even remember who it was quoteing but it went along the lines of "perfect design is not when nothing more can be added, but when nothing can be taken away without wholely destroying function". I like that idea a lot!!

The Grand Wazoo
10-09-2009, 18:05
Il tell you what fasinates me more though.. Things that are perfect in thier design! Things that do what they are suposed to - nothing more, mother less! Eg Zippo lighters
I can't remember where I read it, but I read a quote today, can't even remember who it was quoteing but it went along the lines of "perfect design is not when nothing more can be added, but when nothing can be taken away without wholely destroying function". I like that idea a lot!!

I'd agree with that - it's been said that only a handful of designs can't ever be truly improved upon, just made different.
A commonly cited example is the Mauser bolt-action rifle system. An elegant, robust, foolproof, economic and functional design from the 19th Century and still in used today all over the world.

http://patentpending.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/mauser_71.jpg

Jonboy
10-09-2009, 18:05

we have got one, big balls are better:eyebrows:

twelvebears
10-09-2009, 19:40
Really genuinely brilliant. I hope he makes a fortune from it.

Alex_UK
10-09-2009, 20:01
Really genuinely brilliant. I hope he makes a fortune from it.

Me too - the "stacking" options (at the end of You Tube vid) would be brilliant for tidying up cables too.

The Grand Wazoo
10-09-2009, 20:36
I fully understand the need for this as witness by a knackered laptop bag, but I think our plugs are sized the way they are for safety reasons.

SteveW
10-09-2009, 21:22

NO !!!!
Not a Dyson

My little local hardware/repair shop says that Dyson keeps him in business..
he usually has about 5 to 10 in in any one week for repair !!

Must admit...we have now gone through 3 over several years and now I've given up.

The Vinyl Adventure
10-09-2009, 21:31
Yeah, I heard they suck! ... And blow!

shane
10-09-2009, 21:46
but I think our plugs are sized the way they are for safety reasons.

Indeed they are, but this thing fulfils all the safety criteria when unfolded. That's part of the genius of it.

Jason P
11-09-2009, 10:04
Must admit...we have now gone through 3 over several years and now I've given up.

Yeah, I heard they suck! ... And blow!

Buy a Vorwerk. They cost a fortune, unless you get em on eBay, where they cost about half a fortune, but they last and last and last and last... Our first one is still going strong 18 years after my GF bought it, albeit in another household 'cos she got the wantums for a new one. Still, strategic purchases like that make buying hifi easier...

'Well, you see darling, this amp/cd player/tt* is like a Vorwerk, it's built to last, and you know how good that vacuum has been...'

:eyebrows:

Jason

twelvebears
11-09-2009, 10:16
NO !!!!
Not a Dyson

My little local hardware/repair shop says that Dyson keeps him in business..
he usually has about 5 to 10 in in any one week for repair !!

Now I just don't get this. I've heard people say that Dysons are unreliable, but having had both an upright and a cylinder one, I can't find fault with them.

The cylinder has been battered for about 3 years and the only thing that's wrong is that the handle broke when it fell down the stairs. Otherwise it's fine.

Plus, and this is the big one for me, they really do have the same power regardless of how full the bag is.

Maybe I've just got lucky, but I wouldn't have anything else.

Ali Tait
11-09-2009, 10:51
Naah get a Kirby! You'll have to mortgage your soul but they don't go wrong!

The Vinyl Adventure
11-09-2009, 11:08
i have a hoover... it is SHITE i have had it just over a year, the handle has fallen off, the on off button is jammed on and it hardly works anyway!

DanJennings
11-09-2009, 11:14
we have a dyson ball thingy, I don't see what the problem with it is, never had the slightest problem with ours

The Vinyl Adventure
11-09-2009, 11:16
a dan uses his for all sort of "aplications"!!

DanJennings
11-09-2009, 11:18
a dan uses his for all sort of "aplications"!!

Cheeky bugger!

DanJennings
11-09-2009, 11:19
and before you ask, no I don't use it for a 'cheeky bugger'

The Vinyl Adventure
11-09-2009, 11:34
:doh::lolsign:

yeah mate, course you dont!
all those hours of unemployment sat by your self... dysons are pretty sexy - all them curves ...
look at it dan, look at that dyson .... ooo... did it just wink at you... it wants you dan ... it wants you!!

DanJennings
11-09-2009, 11:36
:doh::lolsign:

yeah mate, course you dont!
all those hours of unemployment sat by your self... dysons are pretty sexy all them curves ...
look at it dan, look at that dyson .... ooo... did it just wink at you... it wants you dan ... it wants you!!

You are a bad man.

The Vinyl Adventure
11-09-2009, 11:40
me bad.... your the one who wants to fuck a dyson!

SteveW
11-09-2009, 11:46
Got a Miele.
All I wanna do is plug it in an clean the carpets.
Think I might be a bit of a perve.
Or maybe its my age..

DSJR
11-09-2009, 13:09
We're a two-Dyson family, but they're used for carpet cleaning - when I can be a*sed to do it.....