PDA

View Full Version : I know a genius with wood

The Vinyl Adventure
10-09-2009, 00:46
Bumped in to a old mate of mine tonight.. He'S a cabinet
maker these days. He said that he was interested in the idea of makeing speaker cabs, but didn't know where to find out info on design or drivers. I said I would try and help, but I couldn't promise anything... Can anyone here point us at a place that might have cab designs and apropriate drives etc..

twelvebears
10-09-2009, 05:37
Obvious choices would be World Designs and Wilmslow Audio.

John
10-09-2009, 05:59
It depends where he wants to go with this there is lots of stuff around Open baffle cabinets around and pretty simple to make
http://www.hawthorneaudio.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1195 This helped me build my baffles

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/nuukspot/decdun/loudspeakers2.html#myfr Nick is really helpful he writes for TNT and a bit of a legend in the DIY field

http://decware.com/paper92.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudspeaker_enclosure A brief look at different designs

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/orion_challenge.htm

Sorry its nearly all open baffles but they are pretty easy to build do not have to cost much to build and can sound pretty awesome.The issue people often complain about is bass but I can ensure you the bass I get from mine is tight deep and does kick drums; for me its like being able to hear the drum kit in my room but also having the bass player firmly under lying with the bass guitar

Marco
10-09-2009, 07:00
Bumped in to a old mate of mine tonight.. He'S a cabinet
maker these days. He said that he was interested in the idea of makeing speaker cabs, but didn't know where to find out info on design or drivers.

Hi Hamish,

Could you please PM me his phone number or email address? I'm looking for someone to re-veneer my Lockwoods. The existing cabinets will be kept but I just want a different finish. It won't be right away but I'd like a quote so I know roughly how much it's going to cost :)

Cheers!

Marco.

Dave Cawley
10-09-2009, 07:10
I'm intrested too, have quite a big project for him.

Dave

Tripmaster
10-09-2009, 07:53
Hi Hamish,

Could you please PM me his phone number or email address? I'm looking for someone to re-veneer my Lockwoods. The existing cabinets will be kept but I just want a different finish. It won't be right away but I'd like a quote so I know roughly how much it's going to cost :)

Cheers!

Marco.

If you fancy having a go at veneering I can highly recommend the following...

http://www.veneerworkshop.co.uk/

This was my first attempt at veneering and its really not that difficult. I'll be happy to provide some tips if required.

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3648

Richard

The Grand Wazoo
10-09-2009, 09:09
Maybe this is the guy for Beechy to go to for a wood sleeve for his Quads?

John
10-09-2009, 10:34
Here are a few more resource that might be useful
http://www.speakerbuilding.com/
http://www.silcom.com/~aludwig/Loudspeaker_construction.html

Tripmaster
10-09-2009, 11:52
I paid £30 for my oak veneers but I think you can get it cheaper by searching on Ebay.

The Vinyl Adventure
10-09-2009, 11:55
answer machine
answer machine
answer machine
answer machine
answer machine
answer machine
answer machine

infuriating! i only have a personal mobile number for him and i dont want to give that out without asking him first... not that you would be able to get hold of him anyway:

answer machine
answer machine
answer machine
answer machine
answer machine

i hate the bloody things... anyway i have texted him ... il get back to you, when he gets back to me!

Tripmaster
10-09-2009, 12:56
answer machine
answer machine
answer machine
answer machine
answer machine
answer machine
answer machine

infuriating! i only have a personal mobile number for him and i dont want to give that out without asking him first... not that you would be able to get hold of him anyway:

answer machine
answer machine
answer machine
answer machine
answer machine

i hate the bloody things... anyway i have texted him ... il get back to you, when he gets back to me!

Hi Hamish

Are you trying to call the The Veneer Workshop?

It is a small but very busy company and as a result Steve can be a little tricky to get hold off. If you leave a message he should come back to you.

You could always try emailing him steve dot price5@btconnect dot com

I have to admit I experienced the same, but when I did manage to speak to him I found him very helpful.

I collected my veneer from his workshop and was amazed by the amount of veneer he stocks...floor to ceiling!

Richard

The Vinyl Adventure
10-09-2009, 13:12
no, an old mate of mine...
cheers though

Tripmaster
10-09-2009, 13:16
He could be one and the same? ;)

DaveK
10-09-2009, 13:43
If you fancy having a go at veneering....... I'll be happy to provide some tips if required.
Richard
Hi Richard,
I'm looking for a couple of tips: -
What adhesive do you use to stick the veneer to the underlying wood? and,
How do you get a 45 degree chanfer on something so thin and fragile when you need to 'seemlessly' join 2 shhets at right angles
Mine is a very simple project: covering some shelves in my 'sideboard'/hi-fi unit that I added myself in oak veneered MDF but which don't match the other shelves.
Thanks for any advice.
Cheers,

Tripmaster
10-09-2009, 18:54
Hi Richard,
I'm looking for a couple of tips: -
What adhesive do you use to stick the veneer to the underlying wood? and,
How do you get a 45 degree chanfer on something so thin and fragile when you need to 'seemlessly' join 2 shhets at right angles
Mine is a very simple project: covering some shelves in my 'sideboard'/hi-fi unit that I added myself in oak veneered MDF but which don't match the other shelves.
Thanks for any advice.
Cheers,

Hi Dave

Yes no problem, but I'm a bit busy tonight. I'll post a youtube video which you may find is easier to understand.

Richard

Tripmaster
10-09-2009, 21:00
I used Alpha Thixo-thix contact adhesive.

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo189/Tripmaster_photo/P1010336.jpg

I was told this was about the best, and it does give you a degree of adjustability just after the two surfaces meet. I would recommend having the veneer on top of shelf over lapping the edge strip. Applying the veneers this way will insure you don't catch an edge when removing a book or CD. If you need to add a 45 degree chamfer, just use a piece of 240 grit sandpaper wrapped around a block of wood. Hold the sanding block at 45 degrees and lightly sand from the top of the shelf.

Are you just taking the edge off?

Richard

The Grand Wazoo
10-09-2009, 21:10
Just as an aside, I wonder what on earth our US friends will think of the title of this thread ?(and what assumptions will they make about you, Hamish ? - better put a stop to any rumours now!!!!)

Hehehehe....................

Beechwoods
10-09-2009, 21:15
Yeah, I wondered that myself!

The Vinyl Adventure
10-09-2009, 21:25
Well he's a good looking chap... And I do hear that men make the best lovers for men - what with having the apropriate equipment to practice on...
Unfortunatly though for those that way inclinded I my self do no paractice in such activitys! The only men to touch me there are my doctors and danjennings. An dan Jennings only because once, much inebriated i hasten to had, I needed to operate my mobile phone whilst smikeing and going for a wee. At the time the logical thing to so was to ask dan to hold it for me... In hiend sight perhaps asking him to hold the cigaret might have been the better option, but he was a crazy chain smoker, and he prob would hve smoked it.... And I think I fugured there was less Chance of him smoking what I did give him to hold!

Tripmaster
10-09-2009, 21:30
Just as an aside, I wonder what on earth our US friends will think of the title of this thread ?(and what assumptions will they make about you, Hamish ? - better put a stop to any rumours now!!!!)

Hehehehe....................

What could you mean? ;)

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo189/Tripmaster_photo/P1010722.jpg

Beechwoods
10-09-2009, 21:33
Well he's a good looking chap... And I do hear that men make the best lovers for men - what with having the apropriate equipment to practice on...
Unfortunatly though for those that way inclinded I my self do no paractice in such activitys! The only men to touch me there are my doctors and danjennings. An dan Jennings only because once, much inebriated is hasten to had, I needed to operate my mobile phone whilst smikeing and going for a wee. At the time the logical thing to so was to ask dan to hold it for me... In hiend sight perhaps asking him to hold the cigaret might have been the better option, but he was a crazy chain smoker, and he prob would hve smoked it.... And I think I fugured there was less Chance of him smoking what I did give him to hold!

That has got to take the prize for most entertaining post of the year! Thanks for being so candid Hamish ;)

The Vinyl Adventure
10-09-2009, 21:41
... Il leave the reasons why the doctors has "interacted" with that part of me to the imagination I think...

The Grand Wazoo
10-09-2009, 21:53
I've put a note in my diary for an undisclosed date in the future to dig this thread up 'From the Grave'.

I dunno, Hamish......what with all this, & your talk of big balls & vacuums that suck & blow........................hehehe...........

DaveK
10-09-2009, 21:53
... Il leave the reasons why the doctors has "interacted" with that part of me to the imagination I think...

I assume it was something you caught off Dan then? :lolsign:

The Vinyl Adventure
10-09-2009, 22:03
:lolsign: and :lolsign:

DanJennings
11-09-2009, 07:59
that was an interesting night.... :lol:

Marco
13-09-2009, 22:13
Haha, just noticed this part of the thread:

In hiend sight perhaps asking him to hold the cigaret might have been the better option, but he was a crazy chain smoker, and he prob would hve smoked it.... And I think I fugured there was less Chance of him smoking what I did give him to hold!

So....... Did he shake it before he tucked it back in? :lol: :eyebrows:

Of course there's nothing even remotely unusual about any of this! :lolsign:

Marco.

DaveK
13-09-2009, 22:32
If you let your imagination run away with you, as mine sometimes does, the juxtaposition of images that this scene conjures up is almost unlimited. Think about putting a light to one and drawing on it, whilst putting the other back in the trousers, and then switching the images over - hilarious, well to me anyway.
Cheers,

The Vinyl Adventure
13-09-2009, 22:34
you know (thankfully) i cant really remember well enough to say!
dan??

Alex_UK
13-09-2009, 23:09
OK, now I'm beginning to wonder what kind of forum I've joined - can we all just go back to the normality of crimplene and a-line skirts please? :)

The Vinyl Adventure
13-09-2009, 23:14
i can think of much worse storys to tell but i think its best i keep them to my self

Marco
14-09-2009, 08:32
Well spin them for a giggle in the Abstract Chat section! :eyebrows:

I believe Dan offered to get his shoulder underneath it but then later found out that this was quite unnecessary.... :lol:

Marco.

DanJennings
14-09-2009, 09:47
you know (thankfully) i cant really remember well enough to say!
dan??

I don't think I attempted any shaking or putting away.... thank the lord. but then again, my memory of the event is dim.... I can't even remember where it was you were urinating, but I seem to remember it was outside.... Hamish?

Marco
14-09-2009, 09:55
'Watering' the plants were we? :lolsign:

Marco.

DaveK
14-09-2009, 10:19
'Watering' the plants were we? :lolsign:

Marco.

Can I appeal tothe Mods to have a 'watershed' on posts like this - some people may be having sausages for late breakfast/early lunch :lol:.
And, yes, I plead guilty as charged, before anyone points it out! ;)
Cheers,

The Vinyl Adventure
14-09-2009, 10:37
I don't think I attempted any shaking or putting away.... thank the lord. but then again, my memory of the event is dim.... I can't even remember where it was you were urinating, but I seem to remember it was outside.... Hamish?

i think if you dont know worcester this following sentence will be even more amusing than if you do...

it was up agaist the front of 'angel burgers' outside 'tramps nightclub'

just on the other side of the road from the building with the pointed top here:
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Angel+Place,+Worcester+WR1,+UK&sll=52.193914,-2.222921&sspn=0.001279,0.003484&ie=UTF8&ll=52.193942,-2.222642&spn=0.001279,0.003484&t=h&z=19&iwloc=A