PDA

View Full Version : Who's going to the National Audio Show 26th & 27th Sept?

twelvebears
09-09-2009, 11:21
Anyone? I'm defo going, wondered who else was.

Assuming that Dave C will have a stand?

Dave Cawley
09-09-2009, 11:41
Oh yes! Alex and I will be there.

RochaCullen
09-09-2009, 14:47
Where is it?

John
09-09-2009, 14:54
The National Audio Show is near Towcester, Northamptonshire and includes audio demonstrations, clinics, a record fair, and two music concerts
http://www.chestergroup.org/

DaveK
09-09-2009, 18:58
Hi Guys,
I've clicked on the link and can't find any info about admission prices - can anyone help, please?
Cheers,

Dave Cawley
09-09-2009, 19:01
You can book discounted ticket on line!

Dave

DaveK
09-09-2009, 19:04
You can book discounted ticket on line!

Dave
Hi Dave,
Yep, I noticed that but the link ain't working, not on my PC anyway.
Cheers,
As you were the link is now operative - wouldn't you know it !!

John
09-09-2009, 19:07
Click on link on top of picture you have enter click
on next link you have NAS tickets online click link where it says get tickets and bingo
Looks like you can buy on day or advance cost £12.50
Hope you enjoy it but find these events to crowded and impossible to enjoy for myself

Dave Cawley
09-09-2009, 19:08
It does here........................

twelvebears
09-09-2009, 20:04
I've already got mine printed.... :)

technobear
11-09-2009, 17:50
I'll be there :)

It's only £10 if you pre-register.

Beobloke
14-09-2009, 11:02
I'll be in residence all weekend. Mainly in the bar.;)

hifi_dave
14-09-2009, 13:03
Hope you enjoy it but find these events to crowded and impossible to enjoy for myself[/QUOTE]

'Crowded' ??? I haven't been to a crowded British show since the early 90's or maybe late 80's. Then shows were absolutely packed even on Trade days. So crowded that you couldn't get in a lift and had to shuffle down the corridors to get anywhere and crowds filling every space. Get a drink or sit in a popular room ? Forget it !!!

Since then you can hear the tumbleweed blowing down the corridors and it's 'spot the punter' time. Dead, dead, dead, with attendance figures down to a few thousand and falling.:doh:

Mike Reed
14-09-2009, 16:10
I haven't been to a crowded British show since the early 90's or maybe late 80's. Then shows were absolutely packed even on Trade days. So crowded that you couldn't get in a lift and had to shuffle down the corridors to get anywhere ...........

Ah, those were the days ! One had to plan in advance and book a late afternoon dem. (absolute Sounds, e.g.) first thing in the morning. Mind you, the queues to these dems. took up most of the corridors. I forget the name of the hotel at Heathrow (it moved to the Renaissance, I think). The Cumberland at Hyde Park Corner was another (slightly less) interesting show than didn't run for long.

Always drove home exhausted, but curiously satisfied, with pamplets and brochures that kept me going for days.

Sad (I still am).

DSJR
14-09-2009, 16:20
When I was but a sprog working in Watford, I'd often visit the heathrow show twice, returning with carrier bags full of brochures which would keep me going for weeks.......:)

Some years later I went for the beer and to have a yarn with some of my old mates, the gear being the same old chrome plated dross year on year. Neither of the "terrible twosome" sounded good in shows and haven't for thirty years now (and rarely before that). The Absolute Sounds dems were almost always awful, the cachet of the brands making up for the lack of any real ability (to someone used to large speaker reproduction).

Nah, I'd sooner visit me good old mukka and have a personal HiFi show with a good range of decent stuff playing properly and with music of whatever format which takes our fancy.

Such is forty years of HiFi nutterism.........:D

twelvebears
14-09-2009, 16:21
Ah, those were the days ! One had to plan in advance and book a late afternoon dem. (absolute Sounds, e.g.) first thing in the morning. Mind you, the queues to these dems. took up most of the corridors. I forget the name of the hotel at Heathrow (it moved to the Renaissance, I think). The Cumberland at Hyde Park Corner was another (slightly less) interesting show than didn't run for long.

Always drove home exhausted, but curiously satisfied, with pamplets and brochures that kept me going for days.

Sad (I still am).

Wasn't it the Penta Hotel? Didn't to go up in flames eventually?

Mike Reed
14-09-2009, 16:24
Wasn't it the Penta Hotel? Didn't to go up in flames eventually?

I believe you're right; didn't know about its fiery demise, though, and wonder if that had any connection to hifi shows. Perish the thought !

chris@panteg
16-09-2009, 10:27
Hope you enjoy it but find these events to crowded and impossible to enjoy for myself

'Crowded' ??? I haven't been to a crowded British show since the early 90's or maybe late 80's. Then shows were absolutely packed even on Trade days. So crowded that you couldn't get in a lift and had to shuffle down the corridors to get anywhere and crowds filling every space. Get a drink or sit in a popular room ? Forget it !!!

Since then you can hear the tumbleweed blowing down the corridors and it's 'spot the punter' time. Dead, dead, dead, with attendance figures down to a few thousand and falling.:doh:

Yes those were the day's

Back then the LP12 and its upgrade were a tiny bit more affordable

Its more high end stuff these day's so only for the well Keeled really ' some of the prices are radikulous , maybe they should split the show in 2 halves ' Lotto winners entrance and Riff Raff this way:scratch:

Marco
16-09-2009, 13:36
Hi Chris,

maybe they should split the show in 2 halves ' Lotto winners entrance and Riff Raff this way...

Or 'comfortably off but discerning', and 'badge snobs with more money than sense' ;)

The latter, on entering, would be supplied with their own badge to wear, printed with the message: "I'm a bitch, milk me baby!" :eyebrows:

And, incidentally, the latter don't necessarily equate to possessing any real wealth; merely that their accompanying common sense is invariably so pitifully limited!

<Snigger>

Marco.

DSJR
16-09-2009, 16:50
I wonder if the Ab Sounds rooms still have the queues outside like they once did?

twelvebears
17-09-2009, 09:54
One of my fav memories from the London show, and proof that everyone 'likes a nice choon', was from the massive room which was home to Avantgarde speakers.

The big room had loads of seats but was mostly empty, possibly due to the choice of music? Don't get me wrong, I like a bit of Miles Davis, but this was the kind of random 'free form' jazz which was the subject of the Fast Show 'Jazz Club' sketches, and apart from a few slightly odd looking people nodding quietly to themselves, eyes shut in the front row, the place was empty.

Apropos of nothing, the guy running the demo whipped out the jazz CD, cranked up the volume the room was suddenly thundering to the sound of Take California by Propellerheads.

Within moments people started to pile into the room from the corridor and other rooms.

It felt like the audio equivalent of a Ferrari salesman deciding to stop discussing the craftsmanship of the engine, suspension and leather seats and decide to start doing donuts in the forecourt. It may not be delicate or refined but it's a lot more fun. ;)

bigmoog
17-09-2009, 12:26
I wonder if the Ab Sounds rooms still have the queues outside like they once did?

I went to heathrow every year from around 89 to a couple of years ago

always got tickets for the Absounds queue....only once in ten years did anything sound good...(that was wilson watt demo).....the worst was when me and a few mates sat in on the Absounds debut of the wilson watch/home theatre system....must have cost over 100k.....we all agreed..dire, true clag....it sounded like a washing machine on 1000rpm......:doh:

I miss the september show

Alex_UK
17-09-2009, 17:59
Apropos of nothing, the guy running the demo whipped out the jazz CD, cranked up the volume the room was suddenly thundering to the sound of Take California by Propellerheads.

Within moments people started to pile into the room from the corridor and other rooms.

It felt like the audio equivalent of a Ferrari salesman deciding to stop discussing the craftsmanship of the engine, suspension and leather seats and decide to start doing donuts in the forecourt. It may not be delicate or refined but it's a lot more fun. ;)

My best mate, who works selling pro-audio gear (recording equipment & software etc.) (and who is coincidentally friends with Alex Gifford of the Propellerheads, just to add a twist) always says (don't know where he got it from) - "Jazz - a load of musicians in a race. Nobody wins." With some of that free form stuff I have to agree! (I played On The Corner the other day, which is proper weird.)

The Grand Wazoo
17-09-2009, 18:44
"Jazz - a load of musicians in a race. Nobody wins." With some of that free form stuff I have to agree! (I played On The Corner the other day, which is proper weird.)

When I first joined AoS, my sig. said:
The definition of Jazz: Play whatever you like. When you make a mistake, play it again........only louder.

freefallrob
18-09-2009, 15:25
I'm seriously considering driving down to this one it's not a bad trip from J28 of the M1, I was hoping to bring my Dad (he's responsible for the Hifi/music interest) but he's gone on holiday.....

Marco
19-09-2009, 07:28
Guys,

I (and perhaps also Steve Toy) will be going to the show to represent AoS (we'll be handing out flyers advertising the forum to trade members and the public), however we're looking for someone with a nice camera and the requisite photographic skills to take pictures of the show for the forum.

So......... Will the likes of Hamish, Shaun, Andy or any of our other resident photographers be attending?

If not, would anyone else be willing to take some pictures of the various rooms? Ideally, it would involve meeting me at Whittlebury Hall on the Friday (trade day) and us going round the rooms together when it's quiet so we can get good shots before the crowds come in, or if not, just taking what pics you can on either the Saturday or the Sunday.

Anyway, let us know :cool:

Marco.

Mr. C
19-09-2009, 09:32
Just a point Marco, there is NO trade day this year, Saturday and Sunday only.

Marco
20-09-2009, 00:12
Ah......... Ok, noted :)

Marco.

Disbeliever
22-09-2009, 08:03
The so-called National Audio Show out in the sticks will be a complete waste of time for me as none of the leading brands are exhibiting Marantz KEF SONY Pioneer Onkyo Yamaha these firms introduce new technologies which I am interested in. The so-called High End needs to wake up and embrace HDMI & surround sound a few do but with rip-off priced products.

Marco
22-09-2009, 08:16
Welcome to AoS, Victor Meldrew! :lol:

Marco.

The Grand Wazoo
22-09-2009, 08:32
The so-called National Audio Show out in the sticks will be a complete waste of time for me

Out in the sticks?
Don't you realise that the greatest proportion of the population live outside London? It might be nice for you to get out for once in a while & find out what it's like to have to travel to an event.

Nice first post, by the way!

Dave Cawley
22-09-2009, 08:41
I hope he doesn't come to my stand!!!!!

Dave

The Grand Wazoo
22-09-2009, 08:43
He might not find it without a Sherpa and a GPS, Dave!

Dave Cawley
22-09-2009, 08:45
I'm safe then!!

Dave ( with a 50" 1024p plasma and mega sound system in my living room )

twelvebears
22-09-2009, 10:36
The so-called National Audio Show out in the sticks will be a complete waste of time for me as none of the leading brands are exhibiting Marantz KEF SONY Pioneer Onkyo Yamaha these firms introduce new technologies which I am interested in. The so-called High End needs to wake up and embrace HDMI & surround sound a few do but with rip-off priced products.

Personally I'm delighted that the show WON'T be showing leading brands. I'm neither rich, nor even well-off, but I do enjoy experiencing what 'high-end' can deliver, as well as laughing quietly when I hear things that I've managed to better on a fraction of the budget. Also, the NAS isn't ONLY about vast budget mega-systems, as people like Dave C prove.

More importantly, why on earth would I want to go to a show to see mass-market stuff that I can see and listen to in any number of retailers? It's the interesting stuff that I CAN'T easily experience that I want to get a look at.

Oh and I don't see how a venue 10 miles from J15a of the M1, which itself is only 40 miles from the M25, qualifies as 'in the sticks' either.

Marco
22-09-2009, 10:50
The blinkered London-centric mentality of some people never fails to amaze and amuse me in equal measure!

I suspect he's a troll, though, as he's posted the same bollocks on pfm. One to watch, me thinks ;)

Marco.

chris@panteg
22-09-2009, 11:44
It could be a wind up merchant from another forum ? maybe .

I quite fancy going ' as its just up the road from me here in banbury ox , i might bring my camera .

Dave ' BTW ' thanks for the Soundhifi newsletter , good stuff .

Marco
22-09-2009, 12:17
Hi Chris,

I'll be there on Saturday. It would be good to meet up - perhaps have an AoS gathering in the bar with others such as Steve (Twelvebears)? :)

Defo bring your camera.

Marco.

Spectral Morn
22-09-2009, 12:41
Hi Chris,

I'll be there on Saturday. It would be good to meet up - perhaps have an AoS gathering in the bar with others such as Steve (Twelvebears)? :)

Defo bring your camera.

Marco.

Yes for those of us who can't go, maybe among AOS members a detailed comprehensive show report can be put together. So lots of photos and thoughts on what you see and hear.

Regards D S D L

Barry
22-09-2009, 19:36
Since the venue is about 90 miles from me, I may well give it a go.

Generally I find these shows the very worse places to hear anything properly. However if AoS have a room then it would be interesting to meet up and no doubt hear some interesting gear.

Marco, you will easily spot me wearing a Chanel twin set and clutching a Versache bag!

Hope to see you there.

Spectral Morn
22-09-2009, 21:21
Since the venue is about 90 miles from me, I may well give it a go.

Generally I find these shows the very worse places to hear anything properly. However if AoS have a room then it would be interesting to meet up and no doubt hear some interesting gear.

Marco, you will easily spot me wearing a Chanel twin set and clutching a Versache bag!

Hope to see you there.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:;)

Nice one Barry...

Regards D S D L

twelvebears
23-09-2009, 05:54
Hi Chris,

Defo bring your camera.

Marco.

Annoyingly, circumstances seem to be conspiring against me and I'm not sure I'll be able to make it now, which is a pain.

I'm hoping to squeeze in at least a brief visit on whichever day seems most popular with other AOS members.

Am I right in saying Saturday is the favoured choice? Show of hands guys?

chris@panteg
23-09-2009, 09:01
Hi Guy's

Yes Saturday seems good to me , Marco ' ok i will bring my camera

An AOS gathering at the Soundhifi stand perhaps.

Dave Cawley
23-09-2009, 09:03
An AOS gathering at the Soundhifi stand perhaps.

Close to the bar and Hi Fi World too, strange.........

Dave

chris@panteg
23-09-2009, 09:08
Well ' i like beer (ale) and Hifi World is good , may not see much of the show:scratch:

Marco
23-09-2009, 09:58
Annoyingly, circumstances seem to be conspiring against me and I'm not sure I'll be able to make it now, which is a pain.

I'm hoping to squeeze in at least a brief visit on whichever day seems most popular with other AOS members.

Am I right in saying Saturday is the favoured choice? Show of hands guys?

Saturday for me, Steve, and the bar beside the HFW stand as a meeting point would be cool! :)

I suggest we PM each other our mobile numbers so we can 'rendezvous' on the day. Yes?

Marco.

twelvebears
23-09-2009, 17:37
Saturday for me, Steve, and the bar beside the HFW stand as a meeting point would be cool! :)

I suggest we PM each other our mobile numbers so we can 'rendezvous' on the day. Yes?

Marco.

OK, have rearranged stuff to be able to make an appearance, even if it's just for a couple of hours. Was aiming to arrive late morning-ish

baron
23-09-2009, 19:43
I'm going Saturday. Anyone got tickets for the Rick Wakeman concert afterwards?

Dave Cawley
23-09-2009, 19:44
The tickets are easy!

Dave

baron
23-09-2009, 19:57
Yes I know i've got 2.:):gig:

Dave Cawley
23-09-2009, 20:17
See you there baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave Cawley
24-09-2009, 06:46
As this venue has not been used for a Hi Fi Show before, none of us is really sure what is where. I believe that my stand, Hi Fi World, the bar and two major record sellers are all very close together. My stand is small but certainly not perfectly formed, it will change several times during the show.

I suggest that the first AOS visitors find a nice place, perhaps the bar, let me know and if everyone comes to me, I'll tell them where to go! (now there is a thought....)

Regards

Dave

Marco
24-09-2009, 07:48
I suggest that the first AOS visitors find a nice place, perhaps the bar, let me know and if everyone comes to me...

Great! Did you hear that, lads? Leave your wallets at home - Dave's buying!

Nice one :cool:

:pub: :barrel:

Marco.

baron
24-09-2009, 07:50
Sounds good to me :)

The Grand Wazoo
24-09-2009, 07:56
I think you should all be wearing pink carnations in your lapels. We don't want any mistakes like this............

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/trigger-happy-tv/video/series-1/episode-3/the-red-fox

Ignore the first 20 seconds

Marco
24-09-2009, 08:06
Haha... Never mind pink carnations - you'll not miss me in my pink tutu!!! :lol: :lol:

Marco.

Mr. C
24-09-2009, 08:11
Personally Marco, I think a light shade of purple is more you sir :-)
On your show wanderings, you can drop and say hello to us as well we are in the Monaco suite, we have have a coupe of surprises on display.

Marco
24-09-2009, 08:21
Will do, Tony. So will the "surprise" be you in a pink tutu? :lolsign:

Marco.

The Grand Wazoo
24-09-2009, 08:25
Haha... Never mind pink carnations - you'll not miss me in my pink tutu!!! :lol: :lol:

Marco.

Well Marco,

I did consider that, but I thought that would just make you look like a huge 6'2" pink carnation, so I didn't think it warranted a mention. No-one would be expecting anything else of you mate!!

Marco
24-09-2009, 08:30
Do you see the sort of hilarity you're going to miss, Chris? :eyebrows:

Marco.

The Grand Wazoo
24-09-2009, 08:45
Yeah, I'd come, but I'm shaking off this flu thing - I'm knackered just going to turn a record over. Hilarity & beer would be fatal!

Marco
24-09-2009, 09:33
Nightmare, matey... Hope the nurse is lookin' after ya nicely ;)

Marco.