PDA

View Full Version : A great afternoon

Floyddroid
03-05-2015, 07:59
Had a great afternoon mixing it up with fellow AOS member Richie yesterday, A full Saturday afternoon of great music and tinkering. Having said that, It's going to cost me a fortune because Richie brought with him some great CD's and LP's which i am going to have to track down. Not least was an album by Younger Brother called Vaccine, brilliant. The highlight of the afternoon for me though was listening to Elbow live at Joderal Bank. That's already been ordered. We spent the afternoon swapping things in and out and i was pleased that Richie brought along his Techie with upgraded power supply as i am in the middle of such a project with mine. It sounded absolutely great. We slotted my old Ruark Crusader III's in for a while to give them an easier time and they just took everything we could through at them. Cracking amps for silly money.
The biggest surprise is when we swapped speaker cables. Swapping my Witch Hat audio cable for Mark Grant's new hi fi cable filled out the sound and brought some warmth to the party. This was perhaps the biggest surprise of the day and i may just have a punt.
A big thanks to Richie for an entertaining afternoon and for being kind enough to bring with him some great things to play with.:cool:

Firebottle
03-05-2015, 08:19
Excellent Steve, it's always a bit tempting to acquire new music when presented to you, if the wallet can cope :eyebrows:

I had a really good session with lots of different artists around at Oceanobsession's yesterday, cracking system and sound.

:) Alan

Floyddroid
03-05-2015, 08:26
Indeed. I played Richie the propeller heads via the Firebottle/Lenco/Jelo/103 and he was suitably impressed. Richi brought some nice vinyl with him too which i am having trouble tracking down.
Excellent Steve, it's always a bit tempting to acquire new music when presented to you, if the wallet can cope :eyebrows:

I had a really good session with lots of different artists around at Oceanobsession's yesterday, cracking system and sound.

:) Alan

Ali Tait
03-05-2015, 08:51
Shame that Elbow isn't available on vinyl..

Floyddroid
03-05-2015, 08:56
Indeed. However, the CD sounded great Ali.

Shame that Elbow isn't available on vinyl..

walpurgis
03-05-2015, 08:59
Steve, if you liked the Younger Brother 'Vaccine', I recommend their 'Flock of Bleeps' album as well. You'd probably like 'Skylon' by OTT too and while you're at it bung 'Are You Shpongled' by Shpongle on the list/ great albums with fantastic recordings.

RichB
03-05-2015, 09:51
Yes a very enjoyable afternoon had catching up with Steve outside of our normal NEBO meets.

As well as catching up with Steve I was dead keen to hear his Avondale voyager monoblocks and preamp built especially for him by the most affable Mr Les Wolstenholme himself. They certainly didn't disappoint and delivered all the verve and musical excitement I've come to associate with Les's work. Having heard AlanT's voyagers at the last NEBO it was interesting to see how Les's implementation of the design worked. Given it was a while ago since I heard Alan's I am going off memory but Steve's amps had more 'edge' and seemed to voiced to be more exciting. Loads of power and ruthless insight but at the beginning the sound was a little hard for my tastes. The cable was definitely playing a role here... more on this in a bit.

To start with we enjoyed some Thomas Dolby playing via Steve's Lenco into his VTL phono stage. Steve describes this as a big American type of sound and I wouldn't fault that. I really enjoyed hearing this phono stage it's really something special but I preferred it's MM presentation than the MC after we'd opened the case and changed a couple of loading settings. For me it seemed more balanced with MM than MC and partnered well with my Technics which has eally starting to come on song now. My AT440mla cart has broken in now and I was more than happy with how it sounded via the VTL.

Time to try some other cables though, Steve had been using some Witchhat Audio cables with his voyagers to his speakers. To be honest I'm not a fan of these, they seemed to deliver loads of headroom and ultra high sparkle to the system but switching to the pair of Vandamme HiFi cables that Qwin had kindly loaned me at our last meet made a huge improvement for me. The soundstage seemed not as big but overall more balanced much sweeter in the treble and upper mids. If I were Steve I think I'd be flogging the Witchhat stuff and buying some of these. They made the the system less edgy and chilled things out a bit which is really a matter of taste I guess.

We enjoyed some CDs by Younger Brother - Vaccine, King Crimson - Discipline, and Fleet Foxes. The Hold Steady's Boys and Girls in Amercia is great test CD for me. They're a band who play live and record with an 'everything on' kind of sound reminiscent of the E Street Band at their best but with a punky vocal and attitude. I love this band and as the music is so busy it can easily wrongfoot a less able system I find. Pleased to say Steve's system passed this test for me and produced it warts and all despite their noisy production values.

Then onto some more vinyl, we had some of Beck's wonderful Morning Phase album which is quite lo-fi and a bit squashed sounding anyway. The system brought out the ethereal vocals and subtle banjo and mandolin tracks which sit quite far back in the mix and put them centre stage. Nice!

Steve then let his Lenco rip with some Propellerheads and Goldfrapp via the Firebottle phono stage. The propellerheads track had the sofa shaking with the bass, Steve must have some very understanding neighbours:lol: The Goldfrapp, whilst never one of my favourite artists was big highlight for me. Luscious vocals and moody backing tracks coming across well.

I'd brought along my little NVA A40mk2 monoblocks to see how they held up against against the mighty voyagers and they certainly didn't disappoint. For me they were clear and open sounding, if not as 'exciting' as the Avondales they were very musical indeed and both Steve and I described them as honest sounding. They more than held their own and partnered beautifully with the Avondale preamp. It will be interesting to create this setup again at a future NEBO and get Les's take on this pairing. I'm sure the owner of NVA would prefer his own designed passive with these but there was something special in this match, indeed I'd go as far as saying I'd happily live with this combination with a Firebottle handling vinyl duties.

To finish the day we brought out Steve's Ruarks, much beloved of the NEBO faithfull, to hear them with this pairing. Also excellent if nowhere near the the scale of the big Tannoys, and we enjoyed some of Elbow's live at Jodrell Bank and some live Pink Floyd. I did say to Steve that if I were him I'd probably only ever listen to live material on his system, such is the concert scale it provides...

A real treat to hear the Firebottle2 phono stage also, a smashing bit of kit which gave all the gain and tube warmth I like in my vinyl sound but did it's job and shone in particular through the NVA and Avondale combo.

So much more I could say but I'd be rambling and my thumbs are tiring from writing this on a tablet so I'll quit now. All that remains is to thank Steve again for the hospitality, the excellent leaf tea (builder's strength) and biccies. Look forward to having you at my place to hear my kit in situ when I have my RPi and Dac running by then.

Roll on NEBO6!

Ali Tait
03-05-2015, 09:55
How did the Firebottle compare to the VTL?

RichB
03-05-2015, 10:05
How did the Firebottle compare to the VTL?

Just on MC with Steve's Lenco I'd say I preferred the firebottle. They're chalk and cheese I think Ali both do different things well. The VTL sounds bigger, much bigger in fact and more revealing. However the firebottle had more warmth and balance so if in this set up I'd pick the firebottle. That said, if I had to choose between the VTL on MM settings with my deck and my NVA and Croft I'd have the VTL. It's an impressive bit of kit.

Marco
03-05-2015, 10:15
:worthless:

;)

Marco.

Floyddroid
03-05-2015, 10:39
Sadly Marco, we were far too busy listening to music and mixing things around, drinking strong tea and going to the toilet we didn't have chance to take any.
:worthless:

;)

Marco.

Gazjam
03-05-2015, 21:03
Yes a very enjoyable afternoon had catching up with Steve outside of our normal NEBO meets.

As well as catching up with Steve I was dead keen to hear his Avondale voyager monoblocks and preamp built especially for him by the most affable Mr Les Wolstenholme himself. They certainly didn't disappoint and delivered all the verve and musical excitement I've come to associate with Les's work. Having heard AlanT's voyagers at the last NEBO it was interesting to see how Les's implementation of the design worked. Given it was a while ago since I heard Alan's I am going off memory but Steve's amps had more 'edge' and seemed to voiced to be more exciting. Loads of power and ruthless insight but at the beginning the sound was a little hard for my tastes. The cable was definitely playing a role here... more on this in a bit.

To start with we enjoyed some Thomas Dolby playing via Steve's Lenco into his VTL phono stage. Steve describes this as a big American type of sound and I wouldn't fault that. I really enjoyed hearing this phono stage it's really something special but I preferred it's MM presentation than the MC after we'd opened the case and changed a couple of loading settings. For me it seemed more balanced with MM than MC and partnered well with my Technics which has eally starting to come on song now. My AT440mla cart has broken in now and I was more than happy with how it sounded via the VTL.

Time to try some other cables though, Steve had been using some Witchhat Audio cables with his voyagers to his speakers. To be honest I'm not a fan of these, they seemed to deliver loads of headroom and ultra high sparkle to the system but switching to the pair of Vandamme HiFi cables that Qwin had kindly loaned me at our last meet made a huge improvement for me. The soundstage seemed not as big but overall more balanced much sweeter in the treble and upper mids. If I were Steve I think I'd be flogging the Witchhat stuff and buying some of these. They made the the system less edgy and chilled things out a bit which is really a matter of taste I guess.

We enjoyed some CDs by Younger Brother - Vaccine, King Crimson - Discipline, and Fleet Foxes. The Hold Steady's Boys and Girls in Amercia is great test CD for me. They're a band who play live and record with an 'everything on' kind of sound reminiscent of the E Street Band at their best but with a punky vocal and attitude. I love this band and as the music is so busy it can easily wrongfoot a less able system I find. Pleased to say Steve's system passed this test for me and produced it warts and all despite their noisy production values.

Then onto some more vinyl, we had some of Beck's wonderful Morning Phase album which is quite lo-fi and a bit squashed sounding anyway. The system brought out the ethereal vocals and subtle banjo and mandolin tracks which sit quite far back in the mix and put them centre stage. Nice!

Steve then let his Lenco rip with some Propellerheads and Goldfrapp via the Firebottle phono stage. The propellerheads track had the sofa shaking with the bass, Steve must have some very understanding neighbours:lol: The Goldfrapp, whilst never one of my favourite artists was big highlight for me. Luscious vocals and moody backing tracks coming across well.

I'd brought along my little NVA A40mk2 monoblocks to see how they held up against against the mighty voyagers and they certainly didn't disappoint. For me they were clear and open sounding, if not as 'exciting' as the Avondales they were very musical indeed and both Steve and I described them as honest sounding. They more than held their own and partnered beautifully with the Avondale preamp. It will be interesting to create this setup again at a future NEBO and get Les's take on this pairing. I'm sure the owner of NVA would prefer his own designed passive with these but there was something special in this match, indeed I'd go as far as saying I'd happily live with this combination with a Firebottle handling vinyl duties.

To finish the day we brought out Steve's Ruarks, much beloved of the NEBO faithfull, to hear them with this pairing. Also excellent if nowhere near the the scale of the big Tannoys, and we enjoyed some of Elbow's live at Jodrell Bank and some live Pink Floyd. I did say to Steve that if I were him I'd probably only ever listen to live material on his system, such is the concert scale it provides...

A real treat to hear the Firebottle2 phono stage also, a smashing bit of kit which gave all the gain and tube warmth I like in my vinyl sound but did it's job and shone in particular through the NVA and Avondale combo.

So much more I could say but I'd be rambling and my thumbs are tiring from writing this on a tablet so I'll quit now. All that remains is to thank Steve again for the hospitality, the excellent leaf tea (builder's strength) and biccies. Look forward to having you at my place to hear my kit in situ when I have my RPi and Dac running by then.

Roll on NEBO6!

Rich,
Top taste in music mate. :)
Listening to Last Days of Gravity by Younger Brother right now actually.
My favourite album of theirs.

Sounds like you all had a great sesh and what its all about.

RichB
03-05-2015, 21:39
Rich,
Top taste in music mate. :)
Listening to Last Days of Gravity by Younger Brother right now actually.
My favourite album of theirs.

Sounds like you all had a great sesh and what its all about.

Ribbon on a branch is one of my favourite tracks. I always put that on when listening to new kit.

Ali Tait
03-05-2015, 22:02
Just on MC with Steve's Lenco I'd say I preferred the firebottle. They're chalk and cheese I think Ali both do different things well. The VTL sounds bigger, much bigger in fact and more revealing. However the firebottle had more warmth and balance so if in this set up I'd pick the firebottle. That said, if I had to choose between the VTL on MM settings with my deck and my NVA and Croft I'd have the VTL. It's an impressive bit of kit.

Cheers Rich, like to hear the VTL sometime.

Floyddroid
03-05-2015, 22:53
If you want me to i'll bring the VTL along to the next NEBO?

Cheers Rich, like to hear the VTL sometime.

Ali Tait
03-05-2015, 22:55
Aye, please.

Floyddroid
04-05-2015, 12:36
Please note that i have removed reference to the NVA amps from my original post as the nothing but positive comments about them seem to have upset the designer/manufacturer. Something that would certainly put me off owning anything by the company as good as the products are.:scratch:

Roll on NEBO6!

Firebottle
04-05-2015, 13:35
It's got to be said: :mental:

struth
04-05-2015, 13:47
Had a great afternoon mixing it up with fellow AOS member Richie yesterday, A full Saturday afternoon of great music and tinkering. Having said that, It's going to cost me a fortune because Richie brought with him some great CD's and LP's which i am going to have to track down. Not least was an album by Younger Brother called Vaccine, brilliant. The highlight of the afternoon for me though was listening to Elbow live at Joderal Bank. That's already been ordered. We spent the afternoon swapping things in and out and i was pleased that Richie brought along his Techie with upgraded power supply as i am in the middle of such a project with mine. It sounded absolutely great. We slotted my old Ruark Crusader III's in for a while to give them an easier time and they just took everything we could through at them. Cracking amps for silly money.
The biggest surprise is when we swapped speaker cables. Swapping my Witch Hat audio cable for Mark Grant's new hi fi cable filled out the sound and brought some warmth to the party. This was perhaps the biggest surprise of the day and i may just have a punt.
A big thanks to Richie for an entertaining afternoon and for being kind enough to bring with him some great things to play with.:cool:

which ones are the new mark grant speaker cables?

DSJR
04-05-2015, 16:46
Please note that i have removed reference to the NVA amps from my original post as the nothing but positive comments about them seem to have upset the designer/manufacturer. Something that would certainly put me off owning anything by the company as good as the products are.:scratch:

As said many times before, so I feel I can say it again..

There is a potential issue with using (another) line buffer before the power amps as the latter have a high sensitivity and suitable input impedance so a PASSIVE preamp can be used with no issues. Rich uses an Icon Audio which should be perfect to the task. I think it's all been sorted out via PM's anyway, but I just wanted to respectfully add please, that NVA stuff is more of an integrated system, from input cables to speaker cables (I reserve judgement on Cubes etc. until I've heard them :lol:). 'Just' taking a set of NVA power amps and 'plonking' them into a system of alternative bits and pieces isn't really going to give you the whole story and THAT is what upset the man behind them I think, as so much product was discussed it could all get muddled by some people and the amps aren't designed to just be plonked into any old setup without careful consideration of speaker cables etc.;) Glad you liked them anyway and it's all sorted now :)

Forgive the butt-in, but I thought I should respectfully point the above out if I may.

RichB
04-05-2015, 17:19
As said many times before, so I feel I can say it again..

There is a potential issue with using (another) line buffer before the power amps as the latter have a high sensitivity and suitable input impedance so a PASSIVE preamp can be used with no issues. Rich uses an Icon Audio which should be perfect to the task. I think it's all been sorted out via PM's anyway, but I just wanted to respectfully add please, that NVA stuff is more of an integrated system, from input cables to speaker cables (I reserve judgement on Cubes etc. until I've heard them :lol:). 'Just' taking a set of NVA power amps and 'plonking' them into a system of alternative bits and pieces isn't really going to give you the whole story and THAT is what upset the man behind them I think, as so much product was discussed it could all get muddled by some people and the amps aren't designed to just be plonked into any old setup without careful consideration of speaker cables etc.;) Glad you liked them anyway and it's all sorted now :)

Forgive the butt-in, but I thought I should respectfully point the above out if I may.

Dave, appreciate you going on record with this. Context is everything.

Now that's done I'd suggest the mods lock this thread please as all thats likely to be said has been I think.

Floyddroid
04-05-2015, 21:18
How about removing the thread all together? That would be best methinks. And you are correct Rich.
Dave, appreciate you going on record with this. Context is everything.

Now that's done I'd suggest the mods lock this thread please as all thats likely to be said has been I think.

oceanobsession
04-05-2015, 21:26
Cheers alan , very much enjoyed our afternoon , your phono stage sounded great and bettered my own in my system , im hoping that replacing the output caps for something better will improve it, it seemed to have a bloom to the sound compared to your firebottle phono stage which sounded cleaner with a sharper image , its hard to describe the differences , but they were there for sure, which makes your firebottle a bit of a bargain, me phil.

Marco
04-05-2015, 21:45
Please note that i have removed reference to the NVA amps from my original post as the nothing but positive comments about them seem to have upset the designer/manufacturer.

Sorry, Steve, I haven't got a clue what's been going on here. If this is something that's occurred elsewhere or via PM, then you need to put it into some logical context for those unaware of what's happened :scratch:

I should add that we don't lock or delete threads here either, simply at folks whims. There has to be a very good (and acceptable) reason for us to carry out such action.

Marco.

RichB
04-05-2015, 22:28
Sorry, Steve, I haven't got a clue what's been going on here. If this is something that's occurred elsewhere or via PM, then you need to put it into some logical context for those unaware of what's happened :scratch:

I should add that we don't lock or delete threads here either, simply at folks whims. There has to be a very good (and acceptable) reason for us to carry out such action.

Marco.

Understand that Marco, it appears my comments on this thread were responsible for a misunderstanding 'elsewhere on the web' wrt to the context and purpose of mine and Steve's get together. All has been clarified now but to prevent possible future misinterpretation of my intentions, I'd respectfully ask to close the thread.

Your call though:)

Floyddroid
05-05-2015, 05:32
To conclude, Richie and i had a great afternoon as described above and some great music was played. Next tme we do it Marco i will have me camera at the ready.

Marco
05-05-2015, 06:41
Understand that Marco, it appears my comments on this thread were responsible for a misunderstanding 'elsewhere on the web' wrt to the context and purpose of mine and Steve's get together.

Your mistake, Rich, was worrying about anything that man has to say. I certainly won't have him dictating the agenda here by putting pressure on AoS members because he doesn't like what they've written!! F*ck that. 'Too bad' is the appropriate response. So just ignore him.

All has been clarified now but to prevent possible future misinterpretation of my intentions, I'd respectfully ask to close the thread.

Your call though

Like I said, you're entitled to write what you like about equipment you've heard, as long as it's your honest opinion, minus any unfair bias. Therefore, whether that results in any 'possible misinterpretation of your intentions', by banned members elsewhere, is immaterial. Your opinion is your opinion. It is not something that others should be controlling.

In that respect, I see no logical reason to lock the thread, so it will remain open for others to comment if they wish. Above all, however, I will not allow AoS to be disrupted by disputes occurring elsewhere, so if that happens, don't bring it here. I don't want to know about it.

Therefore, if Mr Dunn has a problem with something you've written here about his equipment, take it up with him on his own forum. Cheers!

Marco.

Marco
05-05-2015, 06:43
To conclude, Richie and i had a great afternoon as described above and some great music was played. Next tme we do it Marco i will have me camera at the ready.

Nice one, Steve. I appreciate that. I think I'll post a sticky in this section of the forum asking folks to bring cameras with them to meets/bake-offs, as pictures (of the gear listened to) make the subsequent reports much more interesting for other members to read :)

Marco.

RichB
05-05-2015, 08:15
Therefore, if Mr Dunn has a problem with something you've written here, take it up with him on his own forum. Cheers!

Marco.

Indeed I did Marco and the matter has been resolved. My ask was primarily to prevent any further discussion of the products which were not thought to have been considered in their proper context. I have accepted that they were not applied as their designer would intend and ask that others reading the thread take this into consideration.

As forum owner you get the say, I disagree with but accept your decision not to lock the thread.

Marco
05-05-2015, 09:03
That's fine, Rich. My main gripe was RD attempting to 'control' you, through censorship. I won't tolerate that here towards any AoS member.

The other thing is the way in which it was done. Rather than contact you and calmly ask to take into consideration that the equipment in question is being used out of its intended context, he creates conflict by being abrasive and confrontational, which I guess is par for the course with the man. Anyway, the least said there the better.

I would state, however, that I've had excellent results using NVA amps 'out of context', when indeed I partnered a pair of them with my Croft preamp (at a bake-off where Macca and I were present), and the resulting sound was superb, so I'm not sure where that fits in with the 'used out of context' argument.

In reference to locking threads, that only happens when there's been some sort of fracas and/or when someone has been abusive, or when an argument has become circular, and therefore needs nipped in the bud. As none of that is applicable here, the thread remains open.

No disrespect, but we simply can't just close threads, willy-nilly, when the OP (or any other member) decides that they've served their purpose, otherwise we'd end up with an untidy mess of locked threads all over the place - and that looks bad. Therefore, when threads here are locked, that's our (the mod team's) decision to make, mate, no-one else's, and it's usually only done as a last resort.

Do remember, and this is a general point aimed at everyone, when posting on a forum that there always exists the potential for repercussions, so make sure that before you hit the 'Reply' button, that you're totally happy with what you've written, and that it's an honest and accurate reflection of your opinion. When the shit hits the fan, it's often too late afterwards to take things back! ;)

Marco.

RichB
05-05-2015, 10:21

Just remembered I did manage to snap one pic of the view from the couch but the light coming in from the window made it difficult to get a decent shot.

http://i1053.photobucket.com/albums/s468/richbritton/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20150505_111056.jpg (http://s1053.photobucket.com/user/richbritton/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20150505_111056.jpg.html)

Marco
05-05-2015, 10:34
Nice one, mate. That's certainly better than nothing! ;)

However, I'm sure you can appreciate how pictures add interest for members reading, rather than simply having to plough through a load of words. In that respect, providing pics of these events should be considered as mandatory, otherwise it's rather like doing a write-up of a hi-fi show, with no pics of the kit that was being demonstrated....

You wouldn't report on NEBO, for example, without providing pictures of the event, so these little get-togethers are really no different :)

Marco.

Desmo
05-05-2015, 11:02
Nice one, mate. That's certainly better than nothing! ;)

However, I'm sure you can appreciate how pictures add interest for members reading, rather than simply having to plough through a load of words. In that respect, providing pics of these events should be considered as mandatory, otherwise it's rather like doing a write-up of a hi-fi show, with no pics of the kit that was being demonstrated....

You wouldn't report on NEBO, for example, without providing pictures of the event, so these little get-togethers are really no different :)

Marco.
Mandatory!!!

It's getting like there are far too many rules on this forum... It's about the music not a photography site.

Marco
05-05-2015, 11:09
Lol... Ok, not mandatory, but certainly helpful. It's not a rule either, Graeme, simply a request.

Most folk these days carry mobile phones, which take perfectly good pictures, therefore I wouldn't think it'd be too much of an effort next time for anyone attending a bake-off to take a few snaps of the kit that they're listening to. It doesn't need to be 'David Bailey standard'!

What is it they say? 'A picture is worth a thousand words'... :)

Marco.

DSJR
05-05-2015, 14:37
I must say how good a couple of un-twisted runs of RS 50 strand copper (or Maplin equivalent) can be in the context of benign speaker cables...... (we used this, albeit with conductors twisted together, back in the very early Naim days) ;) I test amps with this stuff and nothing over-heats or seems to go unstable in the time it's used (up to a couple of hours)...

Floyddroid
05-05-2015, 16:36
I feel i should take some responsibility with regards to my comment about the NVA amplifiers in my original post and why i edited the references to them out. It is correct to think that the reason behind doing so began on another forum and whilst i fully understand what the designer was getting at it was the parlance and offensive tone that i found unacceptable. Had i not posted my disdain here on AOS the thread would not have caused as much controversy. With regard to the A40 amplifiers i have to say that out of conext in my system they did sound excellent so in an appropriate system i could well imagine them to be even better as intended. I do feel it a shame that in an innocently written eulogy of a great day and what Rich and i got up to so much aggression and negativity could be raised. My fault for bringing it here though and for that i apologize.

Marco.

Firebottle
05-05-2015, 16:56
Why should you apologise for a [personal insults removed by admin] Steve? (That's my standing on the other gone down even more. Oh hang on it was at rock bottom anyway :ner:)

I can see where the 'context' comes in and can appreciate the technicality behind it, but polite and constructive criticism is surely welcome?
I certainly welcome it.

Thank goodness for AoS,

:cool: Alan

Marco
05-05-2015, 17:03
Hi Steve,

I feel i should take some responsibility with regards to my comment about the NVA amplifiers in my original post and why i edited the references to them out. It is correct to think that the reason behind doing so began on another forum and whilst i fully understand what the designer was getting at it was the parlance and offensive tone that i found unacceptable.

Indeed, tell me something new! That's always been his biggest problem: a complete lack of civility and people skills - and worse - a total inability to recognise and acknowledge such, which is why he continually finds himself embroiled in conflict, quite simply because he rubs folk up the wrong way.

However, it's ALWAYS someone else's fault, not his ['they started it'/'they're just idiots']............ :doh:

With regard to the A40 amplifiers i have to say that out of conext in my system they did sound excellent so in an appropriate system i could well imagine them to be even better as intended.

I think it was the same amps I heard with my Croft, and they combined to create a superb sound - one I could happily live with, and I'm not exactly easily pleased... Therefore, the bloke should have considered that as a compliment, instead of launching a tirade against you guys because your methods of assessment didn't entirely meet with his approval! :rolleyes:

I do feel it a shame that in an innocently written eulogy of a great day and what Rich and i got up to so much aggression and negativity could be raised. My fault for bringing it here though and for that i apologize.

No worries, mate. These little gatherings should be happy and fun affairs, not tainted by someone else's hang-ups and dogma. You don't really have much to apologise for. All I'd ask is that in future any disputes that originate 'over there', stay 'over there'. Churz! :cool:

I simply won't have the joie de vivre and harmonious vibe on AoS infected by such malaise.

Marco.

RichB
05-05-2015, 18:16
I'm just waiting for Les Wolstenholme to come wading in now dishing out black eyes lol.

Just kidding Les, you can kick my butt around the car park at the next NEBO ;)

337alant
05-05-2015, 20:29
When the shit hits the fan, it's often too late afterwards to take things back!
LOL yes very true Marco :D
I have cringed at some of the things I have written after to many bottles of red wine :eek:

Hey Rich sounds like you had a great afternoon wish I could have come, Steve has a big meaty system ;) and I have been meaning to pop round and have a listen to his proper Voyagers just to see if mine are complete boll*ks :D:D

Rich ----NVA---- Fu*k um, divn worry aboot it

Alan

RichB
05-05-2015, 21:25
LOL yes very true Marco :D
I have cringed at some of the things I have written after to many bottles of red wine :eek:

Hey Rich sounds like you had a great afternoon wish I could have come, Steve has a big meaty system ;) and I have been meaning to pop round and have a listen to his proper Voyagers just to see if mine are complete boll*ks :D:D

Hey Alan, From what I can remember from the last time I heard them which wasn't in their home setting, I formed an impression of 2 very different sounding amps depending upon the way that you and Les have built them. I guess only you or he would know what was different but Steve's seemed more upfront and yours had a bit more restraint. A big meaty system it is. Truly concert scale!

I'd like to hear them side by side one day though to see if my memory of how yours sounded was right.

You'd be welcome over anytime to hear my amps and system since all the changes which I think have been for the better with one or two hiccups along the way but getting there now. They've taken my system up quite a bit and I'm happy with how it's sounding overall. Like their designer, the amps speak for themselves and that's the main thing.

http://s29.postimg.org/drtm19f5j/no_givee_fuck_medieval.jpg

Firebottle
06-05-2015, 06:13
Cheers alan , very much enjoyed our afternoon , your phono stage sounded great and bettered my own in my system , im hoping that replacing the output caps for something better will improve it, it seemed to have a bloom to the sound compared to your firebottle phono stage which sounded cleaner with a sharper image , its hard to describe the differences , but they were there for sure, which makes your firebottle a bit of a bargain, me phil.

Thanks Phil,
It seems like our short mention of a get together has been swamped by the greater discussion on this thread :lol:

I very much enjoyed hearing your impressive system and such a wide range of tunes. Many thanks also for the vinyl, sounds pretty stunning on my more humble sytem, particularly the bass on the title track Picture Book.

:cool: Alan

337alant
06-05-2015, 06:30
Thanks Rich I would love to come back and listen to your new set up as well sometime:eyebrows:, didn't have much time before and we were just tying to identify a problem so didn't get chance to hear your system at its best.
I'm not getting much time off work at the moment with this new job but that should change shortly so I will be in touch :eyebrows:

Its easy to Voice the Voyagers to a particular sound and I did deliberately tried to steer mine towards smother sound, but I have a few mods in mind which should tighten things up a bit, when I get some free time.

Alan

Marco
06-05-2015, 06:53
Like their designer, the amps speak for themselves and that's the main thing.

http://s29.postimg.org/drtm19f5j/no_givee_fuck_medieval.jpg

Lol... Love it! Here's another good one:

http://imageshack.com/a/img908/8808/8rYGE7.gif

;)

Marco.

Avondale Audio
20-08-2015, 21:49
I'm just waiting for Les Wolstenholme to come wading in now dishing out black eyes lol.

Just kidding Les, you can kick my butt around the car park at the next NEBO ;)

That's not my way Rich as you know. Equipment and its sound quality is very much a personal
opinion and all opinions count.

BTW, Mr Dunn does make some exceeding nice sounding amps, I know, I've heard them

Floyddroid
21-08-2015, 09:51
This is the gentleman i have come to know and respect. Good to have your input as always Les.
That's not my way Rich as you know. Equipment and its sound quality is very much a personal
opinion and all opinions count.

BTW, Mr Dunn does make some exceeding nice sounding amps, I know, I've heard them

RichB
21-08-2015, 10:11
Hi Les,

My comments on this thread were just in response to a discussion re context the amps were heard.

I honestly think that on HiFi these days there are a handful of people left who offer no compromise excellent gear at their various price points. In no particular order they are you, NVA, Glen Croft, Nick Gorham. I would also say Colin Wonfor but I've not experienced his amps yet. All of whom skin the cat in different but equally valid ways amd I could live with any of their kit in my system.

Anyway back to my original comments here, I enjoyed how your preamp worked with the NVA amps. Nice work I thought.

R

Floyddroid
22-08-2015, 05:41
Marco where did you get the don't give a fuckometer?
Lol... Love it! Here's another good one:

;)

Marco.

Firebottle
22-08-2015, 05:48
Steve, just right click the image and select 'Copy image URL'

:)