PDA

View Full Version : diy meet 19/20th sept

SPS
07-09-2009, 08:10
Hi all, we are having a diy meet at Owston Park Lodge, on the a19 just north of doncaster in two weeks time,

the kit on show is in the main high eff speakers /valve amps /etc

Your welcome to bring your own kit, or just come and listen
the costs are shared on the day.. usually around a £10 for the sat to inc lunch.. saturday is a long busy day, sunday is much more relaxed..

please post if you want to come along,

thanks
steve

DaveK
07-09-2009, 09:28
Hi Steve,
Include me in for Saturday and, depending how Saturday goes, may clock in on Sunday too. I will NOT be bringing my kit, on further reflection.
Cheers,

Marco
07-09-2009, 09:32
Hi Dave,

If you bring your Techy along, I'll give it the once over in terms of set-up just to make sure everything's ok, and you'll also get the chance to hear mine, as a reference for what's achievable with the 1210. It's an ideal opportunity for you and it would be good to meet up :)

I might even bring my Tannoys... :eyebrows:

It'll depend if Ian Walker's coming and bringing his van.

Oh, Steve, put me down for the Saturday only. I might also bring John (our music room mod) with me, who'll be visiting, if he's up for it.

Marco.

DaveK
07-09-2009, 10:05
Hi Dave,

If you bring your Techy along, I'll give it the once over in terms of set-up just to make sure everything's ok, and you'll also get the chance to hear mine, as a reference for what's achievable with the 1210. It's an ideal opportunity for you and it would be good to meet up :)
Marco.
Hi Marco,
I may well take you up on that generous offer but it may depend on whether I can get my current mod plans implemented in time (new phono, earth and power leads) - all ordered and if I can get them soldered in place before then I'll certainly bring it along. To really convince me you'd have to be willing to swap your Techie for mine, leaving the rest of your set up as is and for me to be able to appreciate the difference - you up for this?
Either way, I share your views about meeting up - always nice to be able to put a face to a voice and/or avatar ;).
Cheers,

Marco
07-09-2009, 10:28
LOL... We'll have a chat on the day, matey. Let's see how the forthcoming mods go to your own Techy, and we'll take it from there :)

Marco.

bonneville
07-09-2009, 14:46
Hi Marco
It will be good to hear the Lockwood/Tannoys again this time with Golds rather than Reds,are you taking the copper amp?
Vinnie

Marco
07-09-2009, 15:57
Hi Vinnie,

How's it going, mate? :)

Don't get too excited regarding the Tannoys as there's only an outside chance I'll be arsed moving them!

Not sure what I'll be bringing with me in total... It might just be the Techy so Dave can have a listen - we'll see. Anyway, it'll be good having a chin-wag again and a few beers :cool:

Marco.

John
07-09-2009, 17:39
Ali suggested I bring my open baffle I made (Hawthorne Duets) along so people could check them out I have a few issues as a 3 hour journey
1)If i come I will have to stay over night so will my gear have a safe place to stay
2)I do not want to take my amp as its pretty big and heavy. Would I be able to borrow someone elses amp so people can hear the speakers (I will be running sub plates to power the bass drivers which I will bring)
I would like to come but as I said its a long journey and have to bring a lot of gear so not sure
Ahh just read Marco Kind suggestion I might come along with Marco but would not be able to bring speakers along

SPS
07-09-2009, 17:40
it would be nice to hear your speakers marco...

the rest of us would think its well worth the effort...

cheers

steve

i'll update the list on a-t in a couple of days

thanks

Ali Tait
07-09-2009, 18:19
Hi John,
Yes,please bring the speakers.There'll be no problem getting them on the end of someone's amp.Most folk just leave their kit in the room at Owston Lodge overnight,it's quite safe there.We've been doing it for years with no problems.

bonneville
07-09-2009, 18:21
My money would be on the Tannoys staying put.Getting mine up and down to your room was enough for me.LOL

Marco
07-09-2009, 18:34
It all depends if meesta Walker is coming...

a) I need him to help me lift them down and up again.

b) I need his van to take them to Owston.

Without a) & b) in place it's a no-go, folks :)

Marco.

Marco
07-09-2009, 18:43
Hi John,
Yes,please bring the speakers.There'll be no problem getting them on the end of someone's amp.Most folk just leave their kit in the room at Owston Lodge overnight,it's quite safe there.We've been doing it for years with no problems.

Hi Ali,

He won't be able to unless he can bring them up on the train from London! :eyebrows:

John's coming up to visit me on the 17th and hopefully staying for a few days... If he wants to go to Owston on the Saturday, I'll be bringing him with me, minus his speakers.

Marco.

Ali Tait
07-09-2009, 18:46
Ah I see.Ok then,guess that's a nono then.

John
07-09-2009, 18:54
I might come back down on a friday so I can bring the speakers but would mean travelling very early Saturday or late Friday

Marco
07-09-2009, 19:02
S'up to you, dude :)

Marco.

Mike
08-09-2009, 07:14
I'd like to come along but I'm loath to say so... every time in the past I've said I'll go something went wrong! :(

Ali Tait
08-09-2009, 19:36
Well say nothing and just turn up! :lolsign:

Mike
08-09-2009, 19:37
Well say nothing and just turn up! :lolsign:

Shhh... that's the plan! ;)

The Vinyl Adventure
09-09-2009, 08:54
Is like to come to one of these things one day! It would be certainly interesting to hear some of other peoples kit! I have been intriged by the pictures of open baffle speakers for a long time ... And yes hearing a well stacked 1210 would be good! I could be the photographer for the day too!!
Unfortunatly I have a wedding the sat, and a load of band stuff the Sunday that weekend.. It's the only weekend this whole bloddy year I'm fully booked... So bad timing for me really... Oh well maybe another time!!

Alex_UK
09-09-2009, 10:46
So bad timing for me really... Oh well maybe another time!!

Bad for me too, Tamzin's 1st Birthday is on the 21st so adoring grandparents, aunties and uncles etc. will all be invading Suffolk for the celebrations. Would be great to meet a few of you in the future though.

John
09-09-2009, 11:40
I will go with Marco but decided not to take my speakers sorry guys but just to much travelling and hassle over that weekend
If anyone ever wants to hear the Duets and is around London PM me and I will be happy to demo
I just added black poker table cloth to the Duets and the results well in the dark the speakers disappear:lol: But honestly its a good mod (just more real) and looks a bit scary:chainsaw:
I add pictures latter

Ali Tait
09-09-2009, 21:39
Maybe next time John-in any case will be good to see you there. :)

aquapiranha
19-09-2009, 23:27
http://www.thehubsa.co.za/uploads2/20090704_153347_useless_thread-.jpg

:lolsign:

Marco
20-09-2009, 00:11
Well, I'm just back from Owston and it was bloody good - the best yet, IMO, actually!! :)

Off to bed now :goodnight:

Marco.

John
20-09-2009, 06:28
Yes some really good speakers and amps I could not stay to long but was really impressed by what I heard It was really nice to meet Marco and some of the people from audio talk
The sounds coming out from each system wasa lot better then you hear at at a hifi show and imagine in their own environment sound even better
Just confirms open baffles done right give you some very good sounds

Ali Tait
20-09-2009, 09:54
I couldn't make it at the last minute due to work.Any one take any pics? A report on what went down would be good too.

John
20-09-2009, 10:26
I think Marco will write a report latter He will be able to do it more justice than me But some very impressive sounds.
I might add some more thoughts latter I saw Dave the Bass taking plenty of pictures so sure some pics will appear on audio talk

SteveTheShadow
20-09-2009, 17:57
I'd just like to thank Marco publicly for his kind donation of a heavy brass counterweight for my Rega RB251 arm.

We had a little discussion about maybe changing out my Stanton 890SA for a cartridge more capable at the top end as there was a certain lack of treble air during my dem with my baffles and amp.

I arrived at Owston this morning to discover the counterweight left on my TT plinth. It was Max who told me who'd left it.

Cheers Marco it'll be very useful to balance the arm, if I have to add weight to the Rega headshell for a Denon DL103 variant

Steve

Marco
20-09-2009, 23:56
Hi Steve,

You're welcome, matey. I hope it will come in handy later if you decide to get a DL-103 :)

Btw, I thought that your Lenco sounded fab! I loved the solid foundation it gave to music and particularly the way it latched onto anything with rhythm - it was tuneful, funky and really boogied big time :gig:

Yes your Stanton cartridge lacked a little top-end extension, which is common with most MMs, especially compared with top quality moving coils, but it certainly wasn't disastrous. What it lacked there it made up for in spades throughout the rest of the frequency range.

I think the Lenco is a truly fantastic bargain, much more so than even a Garrard or SP10, considering what you can pick them up for on Ebay. In my opinion, you have the basis of a very good turntable that will easily take a more expensive arm and cartridge should you wish to go down that route in future.

I'll go into more detail later about what I heard overall at Owston, including my thoughts on the Pioneer PL-71, which I've now heard at last, and how it compared to my modified SL-1210, along with my thoughts on Will's Garrard and also Neal's SP10.

Just before I go to spin some tunes before bed, I'd like to say how nice it was to meet John (we'll do a sesh at mine soon, matey!) and Dave K, whom I shared a beer with and enjoyed chatting to at length on Saturday, and of course all the chaps from audio-talk, many of whom are members here. I suspect that JMJ will never quite be the same for Dave again! :eyebrows: ;)

Right, I'm off to spin a few more tunes then off to bed....

Laters,
Marco.

John
21-09-2009, 06:05
I would of loved to have met Dave and had a chat
I think its great to have that opportunity to meet people
I think the lenco is increadble value for sound per pound nothing beats it
Steve were the open baffles yours, they were really nice as well and I imagine in your own room even nicer

Dave the bass
21-09-2009, 07:24
Yup, that was a nice way to spend a weekend. Really good mixture of kit and sounds. I really enjoyed it.

I missed a lot of the Saturday TT comparison due to the need to fill my tum tum with food and attempt to quench the unquenchable thirst in the bar but what I did hear when I came back was brillyant, all of them. I think it's got to the point where the standards are so high everyones reaching superb sound quality levels but all still using different approaches to get to it. Thats healthy and goes to prove there's no one way to get 'there'. Top stuff.

Some good conversations going on too, so much better face to face and my fingers don't hurt so much either!

The piccies I took were to fill-in for bits of the weekend that Simon couldn't cover, they've been transferred to Simons laptop and I think he's attempting to separate the wheat from the chaff :-)

When's the next one Steve? ;-)

DTB

John
21-09-2009, 08:01
Yup, that was a nice way to spend a weekend. Really good mixture of kit and sounds. I really enjoyed it.
I think it's got to the point where the standards are so high everyones reaching superb sound quality levels but all still using different approaches to get to it. Thats healthy and goes to prove there's no one way to get 'there'. Top stuff.

DTB

Totally agree so nice to see so many different approaches and so many great results

DaveK
21-09-2009, 08:30
Maybe not the correct place but it will get seen more here - a big thanks to Dave the Bass for his sterling soldering work (correcting my 'naf' attempt) on the phono leads of my Techie - sounds much better now - thanks again!! :) .
Cheers,

Dave the bass
21-09-2009, 08:45
Maybe not the correct place but it will get seen more here - a big thanks to Dave the Bass for his sterling soldering work (correcting my 'naf' attempt) on the phono leads of my Techie - sounds much better now - thanks again!! :) .
Cheers,

Thats OK, Dave. Glad its working OK now.

I'll get that Wool felt in the post soon. I haven't forgotten (yet).

DTB

John
21-09-2009, 09:09
I loved your speakers Dave amazing sound really capture natural harmonics I onlly heard a few tracks on them just wondered how they sound with rock

Dave the bass
21-09-2009, 09:30
I loved your speakers Dave amazing sound really capture natural harmonics I onlly heard a few tracks on them just wondered how they sound with rock

Which dave....Too many Daves! If you mean my little 4" Fostex loaded Saburo's then thanks yeah, they work great (IMO). I put on Rage Against the Machine's 'Take the Power back' after we'd got boozed up and no-one said 'shut that racket up'... :-)

If you want to know what went on inside them i did a thread here, allow 11 days to build them if you fancy a bit (a lot!) of DIY http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1142

I know a 4" driver and a single 2A3 per channel aren't normally the way to go but I like it, a lot.

DTB

SPS
21-09-2009, 09:42
I enjoyed my self again,

it was nice to meet a couple of new faces,

hope you enjoyed it john, although you didn't have a lot of time to spare

there where 2 other sets of open baffles, and steve's which he has posted on.

wills was more traditional with the field coil mid driver

mine was open baffle bass/ lower mids and horns over 800 htz
sat against the back wall
It was the first run really for them.. they need a little fine tuning but they where not a bad guess..
the type of sound they produced was just what i was aiming for
I was very pleased..
it was that bass sound that i was after.. no box sound and the low notes at a reasonably high level.. the quality of the bass drivers really showed through to me in the detail in the bass lines
it shows the normal thinking of using low eff, long throw drivers with a seperate amp driving it, works, but it does not produce the bass detail which quality powefull drivers can produce...
my aim was getting good low level listening at home, which can be done in many ways of course..
the bass output is balanced now, and i've it done my way....

cheers

John
21-09-2009, 09:53
Cheers DTB I will read the thread impresive work!
I already made my own open baffles and they sound pretty good just a few more adjustments in the treeble to really get them sounding right
Steve really think you nailed the bass
Hope next year I can bring my speakers along

DaveK
21-09-2009, 10:14
Hi Guys,
Just a brief note to say thanks for the universal welcome given me at Owston. Although I shall never aspire to the heights you guys aspire to it was nice to listen to some really good sounds (although, with the noticeable exception of JMJ and a few others, some of the music played left a bit to be desired IMHO), :lolsign: .
My interest is predominantly the music, whereas I suspect for most of you guys it possibly comes a close second to building something from scratch (almost) that gives you the sound you are aiming for.
It was also nice to be able to put a face to an avatar, so to speak, particularly Marco, (sorry Marco, you are quite right with your PM:o ), who mildly surprised me by playing Connie Francis, Dean Martin and Mr. Sinatra on his slightly (;) ) mod'd Techie, as well as my JMJ which has never sounded better - he also had a Nat King Cole LP in his collection !!
Steve also deserves a huge vote of thanks for his organising skills - he kept it going almost seemlessly and everyone seemed happy with their opportunity to demonstrate their set up and get informed feedback from guys who really understand the subject.
Thanks to all, again,

NRG
21-09-2009, 11:41
........I put on Rage Against the Machine's 'Take the Power back' after we'd got boozed up and no-one said 'shut that racket up'... :-)

DTB

I tried but could not make myself heard over all the noise! :lolsign:

Dave the bass
21-09-2009, 12:57
I tried but could not make myself heard over all the noise! :lolsign:

Ah yeah but no but yeah but... what a noise :lol:

DTB

Marco
22-09-2009, 20:10
Ali's already posted this in the D.I.Y room, but I also include it here:

http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1395&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=165

Scroll down a bit.

More from me on the event itself later :)

Marco.

Dave Cawley
22-09-2009, 21:39
Did I miss the photos??

Dave

aquapiranha
22-09-2009, 22:09
Marco, you are conspicuous by your absence from the photo's, as is your 1210.

were the photo's from the day you were not there? and who went with you?

:)

Marco
22-09-2009, 22:25
LOL! I think Simon (who took the photos) was concentrating mainly on showing the guys from audio-talk with their systems, which is fair enough :)

There are plenty of others who were there and who were also not photographed such as our very own Dave K, John, and Neal (NRG). Scott and Nick G from audio-talk were not pictured either, although both were there.

The reason my T/T or Croft preamp weren't shown is because they were only connected up during the Saturday night sesh (which went on until 11pm - I got there initially, btw, at 11am!) - all the other pics were taken during the day when the D.I.Y-ers were demonstrating their gear.

In fact, Dave the Bass commented on this over on audio-talk:

Only thing missed out AFAIK is any piccies from the Satdee night, there was a TT comparison whilst a big lump of our group went to go and eat big lumps of dinner and beer that was still going when we got back from refresherizing. After that we took it in turns swapping from end to end with different systems. We blasted some my of my tracks and amp again then swapped systems and did a few request tracks that I know Marco wanted to hear and Max too. It more of a 'lets have a listen to this' sesh for no other reason than we all liked listening to music and drink a few beers.

And bloody good that sesh was, too! :cool:

Marco.

Marco
22-09-2009, 22:28
Did I miss the photos??

Yes! Click on my link on post #43 :)

Marco.

Dave the bass
23-09-2009, 09:49
And bloody good that sesh was, too! :cool:

Marco.

Yes, agreed, it was good fun.

Sorry for the lack of photo's on the Saturday night, it's my fault. Super-snapper-Simon had to leave early on the Saturday and asked if I could take over piccie duties for the rest of the day with my point and shoot Casio. I was enjoying listening to the systems at either end of the halls too much to do any pics in the evening, sorry again.

I liked the way JM's version of 'Strange Fruit' played on Monkey personally, after that i just went with the flow... Ale mostly :-)

DTB