webby
04-09-2009, 21:53
Anyone here a fan?

DaveK
04-09-2009, 22:13
Yes and no, respectively.

Joe
04-09-2009, 22:20
I like the 'obvious' Beach Boys stuff like Pet Sounds and Surf's Up, but am not that knowledgeable about their output.

webby
04-09-2009, 22:29
Yes and no, respectively.
Brian was the genius behind almost all of the Beach Boys stuff. You don't like his solo output? I can understand that actually.

webby
04-09-2009, 22:34
I like the 'obvious' Beach Boys stuff like Pet Sounds and Surf's Up, but am not that knowledgeable about their output.
No, neither was I, but I discovered that there is much more to them than the surf, cars and girls songs. As you say, Surf's Up is good, although I wouldn't call it 'obvious' Beach Boys.

Sunflower is a good album. I really love the period between Pet Sounds and Surf's Up. Heroes and Villains is an underrated gem. It's amazing what Brian did in the studio.

Of course, H&V was to be part of the infamous Smile album, but that's another story.

The Grand Wazoo
05-09-2009, 00:03
Agreed about Surf's Up not being obvious. I don't know anyone else who really knows that album well, though it's my favourite Beach Boys lp

Alex_UK
05-09-2009, 06:14
Not really my thing, to be honest, but then not really explored their/his stuff. I liked his 2 daughters' band though! ;)

Joe
05-09-2009, 10:28
No, neither was I, but I discovered that there is much more to them than the surf, cars and girls songs. As you say, Surf's Up is good, although I wouldn't call it 'obvious' Beach Boys.

Sunflower is a good album. I really love the period between Pet Sounds and Surf's Up. Heroes and Villains is an underrated gem. It's amazing what Brian did in the studio.

Of course, H&V was to be part of the infamous Smile album, but that's another story.

I got Surf's Up as a two-for-one offer with Sunflower, so they are inextricably linked in my mind (I actually prefer the former, but 'Tears in the Morning' is a great, if slightly corny, song).

I have H&V on a Greatest Hits compilation, and some of their early stuff on a different compilation.

Apart from those mentioned, which of their other albums are worth investigating?

webby
05-09-2009, 10:48
Well, if you want to hear more of the 'Smile' tracks of which H&V was a part of, you could get the Smiley Smile/Wild Honey twofer. The twofer's also offer some interesting bonus tracks.

The 'Beach Boys Classics, Selected by Brian Wilson' is a good compilation and worth buying if you can pick it up cheap. It has a lot of remastered tracks on it and different mixes of selected tracks. This may be the one you already have though.

Jeremy Marchant
16-09-2009, 22:44
Some superb songs by any standards in any musical period. God only knows being just one example (apparently this was the first use of the word God in the title of a pop song).

The Grand Wazoo
16-09-2009, 23:08
Agreed about 'God Only Knows'

Two best tracks from 'Surf's Up':
'Feel Flows'

Mjbbc1qmZiQ

and

'Long Promised Road'

_nx0g_lUhiQ

webby
17-09-2009, 12:31
'Til I Die and Surf's Up beat those two by far imo.

Barry
18-09-2009, 15:12
Some superb songs by any standards in any musical period. God only knows being just one example (apparently this was the first use of the word God in the title of a pop song).

Dylan's 'With God on our side' was first performed 12.04.63 and appears on his album 'The Times They are a Changing', released in 1964.

The Beach Boys 'God only knows' appeared on their seminal album 'Pet Sounds' released in 1966.

Regards

DanJennings
18-09-2009, 15:27
Dylan's 'With God on our side' was first performed 12.04.63 and appears on his album 'The Times They are a Changing', released in 1964.

The Beach Boys 'God only knows' appeared on their seminal album 'Pet Sounds' released in 1966.

Regards

I believe it was actually the first SINGLE with god in the title

Barry
18-09-2009, 15:35
I believe it was actually the first SINGLE with god in the title

Fair enough - I won't quibble.

Regards

DanJennings
18-09-2009, 16:59
Fair enough - I won't quibble.

Regards

I'm not even sure if it's correct to be honest, just one of those bits of trivia you pick up...

ah, well I've just checked my reissue of Pet Sounds, and there are notes by Brian Wilson, and I quote

"It was the first time that anyone had ever used the word "God" in a commercial song...at least this is what we were told"

Oh well, clearly tosh.

Ali Tait
18-09-2009, 18:20
Don't really know a great deal about them,but I did see Brian Wilson at Glastonbury a few years ago.Brilliant.Played all the standards,but then that's what most bands do there,given the time constraints.The crowd loved it. :)