PDA

View Full Version : So Classic you can almost smell it...

Alex_UK
04-09-2009, 20:43
Not sure if this is the right place, or indeed if I am allowed to post "observations" on an ebay item? (no connection to it, whatsoever - I promise!)

Anyway, assuming it is ok - check this out (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200380106449&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1123) - I can almost taste the provenance - biased being a 401 owner maybe, but this is just awesome! If my granny hadn't died 10 years ago she'd be up for sale right now, I can tell you!

Mike
04-09-2009, 20:51
Blimey... a fairly hefty price tag though!

Alex_UK
04-09-2009, 20:55
I'd be very surprised if it goes at that, but if I win the lottery tomorrow night (after I've paid you the extra £1960 for your cable, of course ;) ) I'll be hitting the "Buy It Now" button!

Beechwoods
04-09-2009, 20:56
Cor! That looks lovely! Not a million miles away from the 'second system' Philip // Baron has to play with, with the exception of the speakers and a 301 in place of the 401. Price is a little bit steep and I'm not sure there are many collectors who would pay that much for components that aren't going to sound their best in that sort of cabinet...

But if I were a playboy with that sort of money in my piggy-bank I'd definitely want to have one for my study... better that that a boring old 'lifestyle' system for the same price!

Just imagine how many systems like that were trashed in the early 80's :violin: :violin: :violin: :wah:

Alex_UK
04-09-2009, 21:00
Just imagine how many systems like that were trashed in the early 80's :violin: :violin: :violin: :wah:

Indeed, doesn't bear thinking about... Or how much profit the seller is likely to make - being cynical, I can just imagine this sort of thing gets on ebay because some poor old sod pegs it, and then the house clearance mob come along... "not worth anything luv, but I'll take it to the dump for ya"

Beechwoods
04-09-2009, 21:04
That thought crossed my mind too :steam:

Macca
05-09-2009, 09:05
20 years ago you could buy this stuff (Quad, Leak etc) from the classifieds in the local paper for next to nowt! I used to do it to supplement my income which was meagre at the time (not much better now, actually...).

My biggest coup was a Leak TL10, mint with mint GEC KT61 valves - advertised at £15 - the chap even insisted on showing me it working before accepting my cash...he had replaced it many years previously with Technics and his wife had insisted he had a clear out...

I also had a deal with the bloke at the local junk shop who used to get offered old '70s kit frequently but knew nothing about it - I would sell it for him to students who wanted seperates on a budget (no student loans back then) - it was all solid Sony, Trio, Sansui and the like. I even had an 'electronics genius' on hand who would fix anything that was not working (like him) for a tenner and the cost of the part.

Happy days!

Something like this Garrard/Quad system (lovely photos BTW) would probably been advertised for around £300 by a private seller back then I reckon. But of course there was no internet to 'spread awareness' and no ebay to jack up the prices - the amount of money some stuff goes for is astronomical - I occasionally follow the odd item just to see.

Reckon if I still had the TL10 (sold it in '94 to take my bird to Corfu) it would fetch at least £400 on the 'bay...oh well:doh:

Martin

gooner
06-09-2009, 02:17
I agree with the above comment,i live in Bournemouth where lots of people retire to and it is quite an affluent area too,i used to pick up decent Hifi on a regular basis a few years back,including a set of Quad II's,a pair of ESL 57's and a Garrard 301 with Hadcock arm for £200,and another pair of Quad II's and ESL 57's for £200,i was even given a pair of ESL 57's by a local Hifi shop ! My local household tip used to sell off electrical items that had been dumped,but now they aren't allowed to even sell speakers due to legislation,i pratically begged them to sell me a pair of Tannoy 3LZ's that were sitting on the floor but they couldn't.The stuff just doesn't seem to be around these days,the internet and Ebay has killed it off in many ways ! Having said that my wife went to a Car Boot sale a couple of months back,in Poole,and picked up a pair of Tannoy 3LZ's for £3.00 from a guy who does house clearences,she bought them for me even though we had a massive row just before she went out !

dantheman91
06-06-2013, 09:57
I agree with the above comment,i live in Bournemouth where lots of people retire to and it is quite an affluent area too,i used to pick up decent Hifi on a regular basis a few years back,including a set of Quad II's,a pair of ESL 57's and a Garrard 301 with Hadcock arm for £200,and another pair of Quad II's and ESL 57's for £200,i was even given a pair of ESL 57's by a local Hifi shop ! My local household tip used to sell off electrical items that had been dumped,but now they aren't allowed to even sell speakers due to legislation,i pratically begged them to sell me a pair of Tannoy 3LZ's that were sitting on the floor but they couldn't.The stuff just doesn't seem to be around these days,the internet and Ebay has killed it off in many ways ! Having said that my wife went to a Car Boot sale a couple of months back,in Poole,and picked up a pair of Tannoy 3LZ's for £3.00 from a guy who does house clearences,she bought them for me even though we had a massive row just before she went out !

^ ^ ^ The good old days eh dad..

Audio Al
06-06-2013, 10:30
This listing (200380106449) has been removed, or this item is not available.

:scratch:

istari_knight
06-06-2013, 10:44
This listing (200380106449) has been removed, or this item is not available.

:scratch:

Check out the OP date ;)