PDA

View Full Version : Garrard 301.... some advice needed, please

take5
06-04-2015, 17:38
I have a Garrard 301 Oil Bearing, and have bought myself another 301. This one is a Grease Bearing version.

Apart from a dust bug mark on the cream paint, it seems in really good condition. The motor works fine, and the platter turns.

However, although the main spindle seems to turn ok, it feels a bit stiff to me, and Ive read that the old grease can congeal and become thick and gooey. I think that has probably happened.

So, Ive removed the spindle bearing and cleaned most of the gunge out. It was thick and black, and didn’t look good.

All the various bits look in good condition.

So, now to re-assemble. I have a few questions.
1) I would like to make sure I get all the gunge out and get it really clean. Any tips on how to, and/or what to use.

2) What grease to use when re- assembling, and any tips on doing so.
Ive found this “step by step “ on the internet.
http://hifiheroin.blogspot.co.uk/201...l-bearing.html

Basically the guy just stuffs as much grease in there as he can get, then cleans up the excess after re assembling. Any thoughts on this technique.

Thanks for any help that you can give.

Wakefield Turntables
06-04-2015, 18:12
I've restored my own 301 from nuts and bolts upwards but I have never re-done a grease bearing, sorry I can't help. You could try Dom at NWA.

take5
07-04-2015, 08:26
I've restored my own 301 from nuts and bolts upwards but I have never re-done a grease bearing, sorry I can't help. You could try Dom at NWA.

Thanks for your reply.

The 301 is in good condition and Im just looking to improve in this one area.

Im sure it would be better with a total service, but I dont want to get into that expense.
So, its a simple job ( I hope) for the moment.
I just want it up and running so that I can compare with the oil bearing, which is also unserviced, but in really good condition.

Any more input on type of grease to use? Anyone ?

thanks

Wakefield Turntables
07-04-2015, 09:27
Is the grease rock solid?

If it is you may find ultrasonic cleaning beneficial.

take5
07-04-2015, 09:36
Is the grease rock solid?

If it is you may find ultrasonic cleaning beneficial.

No, it isnt solid. The platter was turning. Its kind of runny, but thick and gooey.

Im sure it will be better with new Grease.

Ive actually managed to get most of it out with cotton buds and pipe cleaners.
I just fancy getting it as clean as I can and will probably use IPA to finish off.

Now just needing advice re the "new" grease to use.

thanks again for your input.

walpurgis
07-04-2015, 10:01
I tend to use marine grease for bush type bearings. It normally has the same kind of consistency as the old Garrard grease (a tube of which I sold for a fiver a year or two ago. They're fetching fifty quid now. Daft).

Something like this maybe: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lucas-Oil-Red-n-Tacky-Marine-Grease-Water-Resistant-Cartridge-/251734139272?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3a9c862188

take5
07-04-2015, 11:10
Geoff, thanks for your input.

I see that stuff has "additives", which Im hoping to avoid.

This has been suggested. any thoughts?

http://www.halfords.com/motoring-travel/engine-oils-fluids/grease/comma-multi-purpose-grease-500g#tab2

anubisgrau
07-04-2015, 12:02
i missed to learn about sound differences between oil and grease 301. anyone?

take5
07-04-2015, 12:08
Gordan, a good question.

I expect it is as much about the set up of the individual turntable, rather than the diffeence between the 2 types.

So, A well set up Oil bearing will be better than a poorly set up Grease bearing.

Or, A well set up Grease bearing will be better than a poorly set up Oil bearing.

I expect my 2 will be quite similar in terms of condition/set up, so I will post some thoughts when that day arrives. Dont hold your breath !!

anubisgrau
07-04-2015, 13:23
that would be lovely! cheers

Mike - H
07-04-2015, 15:03
Try Garrardmatters.com there's bound to be the info you need on there, and Dom will give any further advice you may need

A.Grail
04-06-2015, 06:42
Much is made of the differences of the oil vs grease bearings - another factor that doesn't receive as much note is the torque of the motors (which are different) It is possible to furnish a grease bearing onto an oil bearing chassis (But not the other way round due to the lack of required notch cut in the grease bearing chassis) Differences can then be heard between the two bearings. The grease bearing has a sloppy tolerance and as such some definition is lost (Remember these were made and sold up to and just after the introduction of STEREO) In terms of grease Kluber NBU 15 is quite nice.

Barry
04-06-2015, 11:39
Much is made of the differences of the oil vs grease bearings - another factor that doesn't receive as much note is the torque of the motors (which are different) It is possible to furnish a grease bearing onto an oil bearing chassis (But not the other way round due to the lack of required notch cut in the grease bearing chassis) Differences can then be heard between the two bearings. The grease bearing has a sloppy tolerance and as such some definition is lost (Remember these were made and sold up to and just after the introduction of STEREO) In terms of grease Kluber NBU 15 is quite nice.

I heard it was the BBC who asked Garrard to do something about the rumble of the grease bearing 301s, heard when playing stereo records (with the vertical component to the signal). It seems Garrard's response was to replace the grease lubricated bearing with an oil lubricated one. But that might be apocryphal.

montesquieu
04-06-2015, 11:54
IPA? Didn't know that would work

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/dc/Fuller%27s_IPA.JPG

take5
04-06-2015, 13:00
IPA? Didn't know that would work

Oh yes..................

It has worked for me for many years.

A very good balance between keeping things well lubricated but still being able to hear the subtle differences in rumble levels.

However, I have been trying an alternative in recent weeks, called "Old Speckled Hen."

It seems to work well, and I am enjoying the lubrication side if things with this .

Barry
04-06-2015, 17:00
Oh yes..................

It has worked for me for many years.

A very good balance between keeping things well lubricated but still being able to hear the subtle differences in rumble levels.

However, I have been trying an alternative in recent weeks, called "Old Speckled Hen."

It seems to work well, and I am enjoying the lubrication side if things with this .

'Old Speckled Hen' is a nice drop of beer! :)

A.Grail
06-06-2015, 08:18
I heard it was the BBC who asked Garrard to do something about the rumble of the grease bearing 301s, heard when playing stereo records (with the vertical component to the signal). It seems Garrard's response was to replace the grease lubricated bearing with an oil lubricated one. But that might be apocryphal.
Yes some of the units at the Beeb, did end up with oil bearings (Garrard or the BBC cut a notch in the chassis of the original Hammertone chassis to enable the fitment of oil bearings - Interestingly the motors were also changed to oil bearing types - This can be noted by an example for sale on eBay (Although the seller says its a DRD5 which is isn't - it's the later type ) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EX-BBC-DRD-5-Garrard-301-Domesticated-Transcription-Turntable-Grey-Hammertone-/191595278993?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2c9bf7f291
It can be noted the chassis is the rimless type (Cast from the first mold) and the motor has the sprung transit clamp (This would not fit on the early hammertone motors) I have a very similar example in my collection along with a DRD5. It is equally possible that these units were bought in at a later period (Post Grease bearing motor and bearing manufacture and that old chassis were used to fulfill the order - a clue to this would be the silver face plates (Sched 2 silver)