PDA

View Full Version : Budget analogue interconnect

webby
03-09-2009, 17:29
Hi,

I'm looking for a budget analogue interconnect for my Audiolab gear. Should I look no further than Mark Grant Cables or are there any others I should consider?

Thanks

webby
03-09-2009, 17:33
Sorry. Found enough recommendations in other threads to go with the Mark Grant cables.

Mod: Delete this thread.

Mike
03-09-2009, 17:38
Mod: Delete this thread.

No! :ner:

webby
03-09-2009, 17:42
:)

DSJR
03-09-2009, 19:58
There are some eBay sellers who do good cheap cables too (SoundStable for one) and Action Hardware also appear to sell a good workman-like phono-phono lead. FlashbackSales do good leads too, but they're slightly dearer.

I haven't personally tried the Mark Grant ones, as I make my own, but the component parts look to be of good and sensible quality and for £20 you cannot go wrong.

If any of the above leads were sold in a dealer at current profit margins, they'd sell for around £60 - £80 inc VAT!

twelvebears
03-09-2009, 20:09
I've just received 4 pairs of stereo leads from Mark and I have to say that look very well made indeed.

If they sound half as good as they look, they will have been a total bargain at £20 per 1.0m pair.

And to think what I have spent on interconnects in the past!! :doh:

webby
04-09-2009, 16:50
Mark Grant Cables are on their way :)

Looking forward to them

Alex_UK
04-09-2009, 18:53
A bit late, but I got a pair of these Handmade Cable Company (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1m-Klotz-Neutrik-Phono-Cables-Interconnects-3Yr-Gtee_W0QQitemZ130299742882QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Co mputing_CablesConnectors_RL?hash=item1e56784aa2&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262) for a non-vital application, and I have to say I'm very impressed for the money - very well made, and quality materials - haven't tried a/b ing them though

DSJR
04-09-2009, 20:27
A bit late, but I got a pair of these Handmade Cable Company (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1m-Klotz-Neutrik-Phono-Cables-Interconnects-3Yr-Gtee_W0QQitemZ130299742882QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Co mputing_CablesConnectors_RL?hash=item1e56784aa2&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262) for a non-vital application, and I have to say I'm very impressed for the money - very well made, and quality materials - haven't tried a/b ing them though

Put it this way... Rega use what looks like this wire with the more expensive Neutric plugs (the "Couple") and it retailed at around £60 with only 35% or so margin approx. It lacks the "exuberance" of more transparent sounding cables, but it had a "solidity" that suited cheaper CD players really well, especially Rega's own machines (surprise surprise:)). The RB600 arm was externally wired with Klotz cables that look suspiciously like the one above as well...

webby
07-09-2009, 11:03
Mark Grant Cable arrived this morning. Do cables need burning in? I dunno, but I already notice a difference. There's more detail, more warmth (which is what I needed). I heard percussion on Michael Jackson's Thriller that I never heard in such detail before. Sweet.

By the way, are these cables directional?

Stratmangler
07-09-2009, 11:29

Contentious question Lee :lolsign:

Personally I'd try 'em out both ways round and go for the direction I prefer the sound of, assuming of course that it is possible hear any differences.

Which cables did you get ?

Chris:)

webby
07-09-2009, 11:38
Oh just the stereo analogue pair. 1m.

These (http://markgrantcables.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=43_1&products_id=1)

Marco
07-09-2009, 13:16
Mark Grant Cable arrived this morning. Do cables need burning in? I dunno, but I already notice a difference. There's more detail, more warmth (which is what I needed). I heard percussion on Michael Jackson's Thriller that I never heard in such detail before. Sweet.

Yes (and they'll need some buring in, too). With the analogue interconnects you should use them with the writing on the cable reading as normal away from the source, but to be safe, try listening to them both ways round.

Glad you like them, Lee - I doubt I'll ever use anything else, and that's with me having not exactly an 'entry-level' system... ;)

Most expensive cables are a total rip-off!

Marco.

P.S We'll see what these MAD things do, though :)

webby
07-09-2009, 14:14
The other thing I noticed was that the volume is significantly lower. 10 o'clock on my Audiolab amp was LOUD before but now it's quieter. I found the sound got a bit harsh at higher volumes before but now (on limited listening I must say) it seems warmer and more detailed overall.

By the way, I was using cables designed for connecting to a tape deck. It had two cables for play and two for record. I was using it cos it was the chunkiest, heaviest cable I had, and with the best looking plugs on the end. I've clearly been missing out.

I was gonna start a new thread about how I came about buying the CD player etc and how, ultimately, disappointed I was with it. I expected a bigger leap from my £200, 15 year old (as it was then) Kenwood cd player. As for the Dynaudio's, although they were very much better than the Linn Index II's they replaced, I still felt there was something missing. Maybe it was the interconnect all along! I hope so :)

Gazjam
07-09-2009, 16:28
Oh just the stereo analogue pair. 1m.

These (http://markgrantcables.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=43_1&products_id=1)

Marco,

are these the ones your using?

Ta.

Marco
07-09-2009, 16:56
Hi Gaz,

Yep, pretty much. They're his latest versions with improved screening, which I found to make quite a big difference. I'd imagine Lee's got the same ones.

If you fancy trying a pair just PM Mark and ask him to send you the same one's that I've got, just to make sure :)

They're really good!

Marco.

P.S Lee, did you try them round both ways?

webby
07-09-2009, 17:41
No, not yet Marco.

I'll let you know if/when I do. I'm enjoying this way at the moment ;)