PDA

View Full Version : Caiman - Toslink or SPDIF + burn-in time

Adrian B
02-09-2009, 17:28
Hi all

this may have been discussed in the hundreds of pages on the Caiman and other StanDACs but there's so much natter on those mammoth threads that I thought it easier to ask. Is Toslink or SPDIF preferred as a way of transmitting 1s and 0s?

Also, is 8 hrs a reasonable burn-in time for the Caiman or does it continue to improve for longer?

Thanks

Adrian

StanleyB
02-09-2009, 18:44
If you use my own branded TOSLINK cable you'll be able to match the quality of any SPDIF cable out there.

Burn in time for the caps is specified at 200 hours or more by the caps manufacturer.

STan

Alex_UK
02-09-2009, 19:47
Stan - would the 200 hours have to be actual playing time, or just physically powered up? Thanks, Alex.

StanleyB
02-09-2009, 19:55
Playing time.

Adrian B
02-09-2009, 21:16
Thanks for those answers. I'll keep it playing for a few days more before posting any conclusions.

Stan, on the TOSlink cable, your webpage suggests inherent problems that don't exist with SPDIF. I think I'll stick to SPDIF and try MArco's digital cable.

Caiman's is sounding nice at this stage by the way, with a home-made Maplin's based I/C

Adrian

Alex_UK
02-09-2009, 22:20
Adrian - hope this isn't too much of a hijack of your thread, but looks like you're happy with the answers from Stan, so hopefully this won't cause too much trouble ;)

I need a run of 6 metres from my Sky HD (&/or PS3) to my Caiman - I can only seem to find unbranded cheapo cables at that length on ebay - anyone know if a) they'll be complete crap b) any source for a good qualty (but not expensive!) 6m toslink or c) would 2 quality 3m cables be ok with a toslink "coupler" (basically a female to female toslink - that sounds so wrong (right?!) but hopefully you know what I mean!) I'm not desperate to connect Sky up, but if it can be done reasonably then I might as well, as I use it more than the xbox which is currently taking the Optical input.

Mike
02-09-2009, 22:23
Do you have a spare coax input on the Beresford?

Alex_UK
02-09-2009, 22:23
I think I'll stick to SPDIF and try MArco's digital cable.

Adrian, I think you might mean Mike Homar's digital cable?

Alex_UK
02-09-2009, 22:25
Do you have a spare coax input on the Beresford?

No, but it is as easy to swap coax as it is swap toslink - Coax 1 is my Soundbridge, which I use infrequently, so could use that - are there convertors available?

Mike
02-09-2009, 22:26
I can do you a 6M coax... PM me. :)

Mike
02-09-2009, 22:27
Oh wait a min...

Is it toslink only out of the sky rubbish box?

Alex_UK
02-09-2009, 22:28
As far as I can see, I'll do a Google...

Alex_UK
02-09-2009, 22:34
HDMI or Optical only - back to the toslink option I fear, but thanks anyway Mike.

Mike
02-09-2009, 22:36
It's shit anyway! :ner: :lolsign:

Alex_UK
02-09-2009, 22:45
£56.86 a month and all "we" (Mrs Alex!) ever watch is Corrie and 'stenders... :doh:

Adrian B
03-09-2009, 14:12
Yes I did mean Mike Homar's cable

Adrian

Alex_UK
03-09-2009, 14:40
Yes I did mean Mike Homar's cable

Adrian

...and damn fine it is sounding too... more to follow on the other thread

aBe
03-09-2009, 15:28
I've tested 2 Toslinks and 1 Coax in my system.

Stan's Toslink definitely sounds better than the £2 Toslink that I got from a Hifi show. But, my Digital Coax just edges it in terms of overall cohesiveness.

I'm using DH Labs Silversonic D75.
Not bad...not bad at all.

http://www.silversonic.com/docs/products/D75.html

Stratmangler
03-09-2009, 15:37
I need a run of 6 metres from my Sky HD (&/or PS3) to my Caiman - I can only seem to find unbranded cheapo cables at that length on ebay

I've been using the 5m version of this optical lead http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=35921 from Sky+ box to Beresford TC7510 for a while with very good results.

Chris:)

The Vinyl Adventure
03-09-2009, 15:48
i always find im much less aware in changes of sound quality when im using my eyes
the digi box into 7520 made a good bit of difference but i wouldnt worry to much about the quality of cable if i were you.... unless of course you intend to listen to the radio via sky.... in which case ignor me

Alex_UK
03-09-2009, 15:58
I've been using the 5m version of this optical lead http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=35921 from Sky+ box to Beresford TC7510 for a while with very good results.

Chris:)

That's great, thanks Chris - I might be able to get away with a 5m with a bit of juggling anyway... ta again.

Alex_UK
03-09-2009, 16:02
i always find im much less aware in changes of sound quality when im using my eyes
the digi box into 7520 made a good bit of difference but i wouldnt worry to much about the quality of cable if i were you.... unless of course you intend to listen to the radio via sky.... in which case ignor me

Well, It's connected up now from the audio out (RCA's) with a 10m ebay extremely cheap cable, and been so for years, so inclined to agree with you there Hamish (I don't do Sky Radio) - so clearly any connection into the Caiman will be an improvement... Hmmmm... think I'll go for a cheapy and see how it goes...

Labarum
03-09-2009, 17:58
I hear no difference between Stan's Toslink, a longer Toslink he chose for me off ebay and a 1.5m coax.

The USB is a noticeably rougher, but its and old cheap USB lead.

If I buy a better on to try, what should I get?

Alex_UK
03-09-2009, 19:22
I hear no difference between Stan's Toslink, a longer Toslink he chose for me off ebay and a 1.5m coax.

The USB is a noticeably rougher, but its and old cheap USB lead.

If I buy a better on to try, what should I get?

Stan is working on his own. I got a Belkin "Signature Series" (http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=266652) which has gold plated connectors, and a blue led in each end to indicate connection (I'm a sucker for blue led's - only reason I bought the Beresford ;) ) Next to nothing (£6 posted) from fleabay.

I haven't bothered to go back and a/b compared to the cheapie I had, but overall I am very happy with the sound from USB.

Gints
04-09-2009, 16:50
If you use my own branded TOSLINK cable you'll be able to match the quality of any SPDIF cable out there.

Burn in time for the caps is specified at 200 hours or more by the caps manufacturer.

STan

Can we have a link to documentation or datasheet where it is written? Serious, I have coming up discussion about this subject in other place. Would be nice to have some evidence. And is it any difference in using terms burn-in and break-in?

Chippy_boy
04-09-2009, 17:49
HDMI or Optical only - back to the toslink option I fear, but thanks anyway Mike.

What make of Sky HD box have you got? The original Thomsons (with component video outputs) only have toslink. But the newer Pace and Samsung models have both coax and toslink.

I know because I really wish my Thomson only has optical and I would really like coax as well.

I am toying with the idea of modding my Thomson box to add a coax output - it seems it would be pretty easy to do. I have simple circuit diagram and just need to figure out where to pick up the digital signal from on the PCB (presumably just before it goes into the optical converter) and also a 5V line and a signal ground. It's probably a 1 hour job start to finish, including drilling the hole on the back and adding the extra phono.

StanleyB
04-09-2009, 17:54
Can we have a link to documentation or datasheet where it is written? Serious, I have coming up discussion about this subject in other place. Would be nice to have some evidence. And is it any difference in using terms burn-in and break-in?
I wrote a lengthy piece on: http://www.thecrossovernetwork.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=889&highlight=burn some time ago.

Stan

Alex_UK
04-09-2009, 19:02
What make of Sky HD box have you got? The original Thomsons (with component video outputs) only have toslink. But the newer Pace and Samsung models have both coax and toslink.

I know because I really wish my Thomson only has optical and I would really like coax as well.

Hi Chippy - yep, mine's a Thompson (so apart from the £299 price tag, another reason not to be an "early adopter"!) - to be honest, not worried enough to do a conversion, as it''s usually only for the odd film, only stereo - but good luck with yours.

Gints
04-09-2009, 19:14
Thanks Stan, nice and simple.