PDA

View Full Version : Digging the new Beatles remasters...

TONEPUB
29-08-2009, 06:02
Got the Beatles' box sets on Tuesday...

Full review here:

www.tonepublications.com/music

Flame suit on, gents! Quite a row over at the SH forum. Lot's of wondering if they are any good or not.

We'll have a little more copy in our upcoming issue in a few days, but couldn't stand to sit on this!

Dave Cawley
29-08-2009, 07:25
Hi Jeff

Great review! Could you elaborate on how they sound compared to the "original" vinyl please?

Thanks

Dave

PS to see what I did this week, click here (http://www.dartmouth.tv/News%202009/27august.htm)

TONEPUB
01-09-2009, 05:33
HI Dave:

I compared them to some very low stamper German and UK pressings and the orig. Vinyl still gets the slight edge in terms of tonal richness, but the CD's are damn close.

I think those of you that have the awesome pressings would only want these to load in a music server, or use as a "daily driver" to cut down on wear of your precious discs.

Everyone else that doesn't have the rare pressings, just the average off the shelf stuff (like I've got) could live happily ever after with the CD's. I know I can. All of my mofi's and other pressings etc, are going on Ebay. The CD's (especially the monos) through my Naim 555 are absolute heaven!

Dave Cawley
01-09-2009, 07:29
OK, that's it, I'm off to buy them!

Well, maybe not? Amazon don't have them???????

Thanks

Dave

Dave Cawley
01-09-2009, 07:54
No, hang on, is this it

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beatles-Box-Set-Remastered-Stereo/dp/B002BSHWUU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1251791417&sr=8-1

and ???

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beatles-Mono/dp/B002BSHXJA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1251791417&sr=8-2

and this too?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beatles-Stereo-Box-Set/dp/B002FVPL9M/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1251791417&sr=8-6

Nearly £700 in total? Can't be?

HELP!

Dave

The Grand Wazoo
01-09-2009, 08:55
Nearly £700 in total? Can't be?

HELP!

Help, I need a wallet,
Not just any wallet......

So as I knew would be the case, these recordings, which have paid for themselves more times over than almost any others in the history of recorded music, are priced beyond all reason.....once again. (Witness the crazy and downright greedy pricing of the CD reissues of the Red & Blue singles albums way back).

Ker....ching!! Ker...ching! And thrice ker....ching!

chris@panteg
01-09-2009, 10:25
Hi Dave

Just buy the mono set and then some of the later disc's in stereo 'can be bought individually , or just buy the stereo box , ignore that expensive import thats crazy .

REM
01-09-2009, 10:55
In case anyone missed it R2s' THE RECORD PRODUCERS (http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00mc0cc/The_Record_Producers_31_08_2009/?from=r) last night was about George Martins' work with the Fab Four. Well worth a listen, even if you think you've heard it all before.

The Vinyl Adventure
01-09-2009, 10:56
Trying to raise money for micheal Jackson's gold cofin?

DSJR
01-09-2009, 21:34
HI Dave:

I compared them to some very low stamper German and UK pressings and the orig. Vinyl still gets the slight edge in terms of tonal richness, but the CD's are damn close.

Does anyone remember George Martin saying in an interview that the original CD's, certainly of the first four albums, were transferred "straight." What you heard was what is there in reality. Of course, they sounded bass-light because few of us had Tannoy Lockwoods or B&W 801's at home (the two speakers used to mix the abums (Lockwoods) and master the original CD's (801's)...

I suspect the new re-issues have had quite a lot of tinkering around done to re-create that "vinyl warmth" that gets the old rose-tinted glasses steamed up.

Will I buy them regardless? 'Course I will, as soon as I can afford to;)

webby
02-09-2009, 12:17
I've found a site that has short stereo/mono samples of some of the tracks from the remasters.

It's in two parts:

Here (http://goodrob13.com/2009/04/26/the-beatles-mono-vs-stereo-remastered-cds-coming-sept-2009/) and here (http://goodrob13.com/2009/07/26/the-beatles-mono-vs-stereo-part-2/)

Edit: My bad. These tracks are not from the remastered discs, they are merely put up by the Rob to offer a stereo/mono comparison.

Sorry

chris@panteg
05-09-2009, 13:25
Its beatles night tonight , i will be watching on BBC 2 8.35 , been listening to pepper this morning and the anthology collection.

webby
07-09-2009, 17:34
My local Tesco (and Asda for that matter) have them on sale today!

I bought Revolver, as you can see:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2616/3896520923_0932600466_o.jpg

£9.50 Tescos, £9.71 Asda

webby
08-09-2009, 10:46
I found a typo in the sleeve notes. Bloody amateurs!

In 'N Out
08-09-2009, 20:28
First post here, looks like a neat site.

As I posted on the SH Forums a couple days ago, the first of the stereo remasters I got was A HARD DAY'S NIGHT and while it's nice, I honestly wasn't blown away. It sounds funny on the high end for some reason, either rolled off treble or the effect of too much compression - which is the only major mar by the way - otherwise the sonic detail is breathtaking and it's a very restrained modern CD remaster, nicely done.

Then I picked up stereo THE BEATLES (White Album) remaster yesterday and WOWEE! This one just rocks, remarkably great sounding CD. I'd say it rivals and in many ways surpasses the UK white vinyl (not the DMM one, the one cut on the Neumann lathe) which was is my favorite stereo LP pressing of this record. What it lacks in vinyl magic it more than makes up for in detail and whoomph - the bass and drums kick ass! :gig:

I don't think it's any exaggeration to say that overall, at least for pressings I've heard, this recording has never sounded this good! So I'm thinking AHDN must be some type of anomaly and I'm eagerly looking forward to picking up the rest of the stereo remasters AND for the arrival of the mono boxed set I ordered (Amazon says "preparing for shipment soon!").

BTW is the SH Forums site down? I haven't been able to get in all day...

webby
08-09-2009, 20:44
In another review I've read, AHDN is highly rated. It was implied that it was the first one that 'worked' in stereo, as the ones before were better in mono.

Edit:What are the SH forums?

chris@panteg
08-09-2009, 21:38
Webby
How do you rate revolver soundwise then , i read its a mixed bag compared to the mono version, help and rubber soul seem to be the best of the early albums in the stereo format '
otherwise the mono version's seem to be better.

DSJR
08-09-2009, 21:52
First post here, looks like a neat site.

As I posted on the SH Forums a couple days ago, the first of the stereo remasters I got was A HARD DAY'S NIGHT and while it's nice, I honestly wasn't blown away. It sounds funny on the high end for some reason, either rolled off treble or the effect of too much compression - which is the only major mar by the way - otherwise the sonic detail is breathtaking and it's a very restrained modern CD remaster, nicely done.

Then I picked up stereo THE BEATLES (White Album) remaster yesterday and WOWEE! This one just rocks, remarkably great sounding CD. I'd say it rivals and in many ways surpasses the UK white vinyl (not the DMM one, the one cut on the Neumann lathe) which was is my favorite stereo LP pressing of this record. What it lacks in vinyl magic it more than makes up for in detail and whoomph - the bass and drums kick ass! :gig:

I don't think it's any exaggeration to say that overall, at least for pressings I've heard, this recording has never sounded this good! So I'm thinking AHDN must be some type of anomaly and I'm eagerly looking forward to picking up the rest of the stereo remasters AND for the arrival of the mono boxed set I ordered (Amazon says "preparing for shipment soon!").

BTW is the SH Forums site down? I haven't been able to get in all day...

Welcome!

You guys are aware that DMM LP cuts were a mixed blessing. To counter the mod-noise of the cutter, anything below 60Hz or so had to be rolled off - certainly below 40Hz. To counter this, you did get a crisper treble...

In 'N Out
09-09-2009, 00:42
webby posted: In another review I've read, AHDN is highly rated. It was implied that it was the first one that 'worked' in stereo, as the ones before were better in mono

Well that I would agree with if we're talking about original vinyl...in that instance a nice stereo Parlophone pressing of AHDN can be wonderful (I have a one-box Parlophone stereo pressing with the original -1 matrices - chock full of tubey goodness - and the later "two box" solid state stereo pressing I have isn't too shabby either).

I'm not sure I like the stereo version of AHDN "better" than mono but I'd agree that it certainly holds its own, whereas for the first 2 Beatles LPs I think mono is clearly the way to go personally.

But what I'm talking about being a bit of a disappointment is the newly remastered stereo CD of AHDN...it is missing a goodly amount of its top end for some strange reason, not sure if it was a misguided EQ choice to make it "warmer" or some artifact of compression (or, maybe, the old LPs were cut with a lot of top end boost that has now been subtracted - which I could understand but it's a bit jarring after all these years).

Whereas the other 2 new stereo CD remasters I've heard so far (THE BEATLES, which as I said sounds amazing - and now BEATLES FOR SALE, which I picked up today after being so blown away by THE BEATLES - every bit as good, rivaling my old Parlo tube cut stereo -1 one-box pressing) have no such problems.

Oh well...it's not that the stereo AHDN isn't terrible on CD, it just isn't quite up to the high standards of the other remasters I've heard so far which are superb!

BTW - "SH Forums" is "Steve Hoffman Forums"

DSJR posted: You guys are aware that DMM LP cuts were a mixed blessing. To counter the mod-noise of the cutter, anything below 60Hz or so had to be rolled off - certainly below 40Hz. To counter this, you did get a crisper treble...

Yeah I don't really like the sound personally, but I can understand why others might.

chris@panteg posted: Webby
How do you rate revolver soundwise then , i read its a mixed bag compared to the mono version, help and rubber soul seem to be the best of the early albums in the stereo format '

Well I'm not webby :-) but here's my opinions:

PLEASE PLEASE ME - mono all the way
WITH THE BEATLES - ditto
A HARD DAY'S NIGHT - a toss up...stereo for openness and tonality, but mono for better mixes on the rockers especially, with more excitement/impact ("Can't Buy Me Love" in mono is like a whole new song, way better than the feeble stereo mix)
WITH THE BEATLES - STEREO for sure...a truly gorgeous sounding recording in stereo, whereas the mono on this one doesn't really work overall. The new remastered stereo CD sounds very, very close in tonality to the original tube cut LP
HELP! - for me MONO all the way. Stereo is more open and has nice tonality but its such a weak, feeble mix...the mono has great tonality and WAY more impact (again the rockers benefit - "Ticket To Ride" in mono is the ONLY way to go).
RUBBER SOUL - for me MONO. The stereo is infamously panned so that there's almost nothing in the middle. Tonality is beautiful but it just sucks all the impact out of the recording. Mono has much more power and sounds more balanced.
REVOLVER - I prefer STEREO although there are some charms to the mono, and also some variations (e.g. mono "I'm Only Sleeping" has different backwards guitar parts, "Good Day Sunshine" is better in mono, etc).
SGT PEPPER - I prefer MONO actually. It's a very different experience than the stereo - more ballsy, more fun. "She's Leaving Home" doesn't drag ass because it plays much faster on the mono version. The little touches are a bit more retro - more flanging on many of the vocals for example relative to stereo - making it more "psychedelic" sounding. Stereo is awfully nice too though, wonderful - glad I have both.
MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR - stereo although again mono has some variants and is nice ("You're Mother Should Know" much better in mono mix).
THE BEATLES - stereo overall, again some mono moments make that version very worthwhile (variants include different animal sounds on "Blackbird" and "Piggies," and "Helter Skelter in mono has no false ending!; "Back in the USSR" kicks butt in mono as do several others)
Then of course beyond that it's all stereo.

Just my opinions! Truly if you love the Beatles you ought to hear all the stuff that is available in both mono and stereo in both formats, it's a blast how different the music comes across for each.

webby
09-09-2009, 07:57
Just my opinions! Truly if you love the Beatles you ought to hear all the stuff that is available in both mono and stereo in both formats, it's a blast how different the music comes across for each.

That's a very expensive experiment.

In 'N Out
09-09-2009, 14:09
webby

Originally Posted by In 'N Out View Post

That's a very expensive experiment.

Yes it used to be a VERY expensive experiment - when vinyl was really the only good alternative for the Beatles and especially for mono Beatles. What I'm saying is that the new CD remasters are SUPERB to my ears - so much so that they've turned this situation on its ear, in my opinion. One can now own the entire Beatles catalog in mono (via the new collectors' mono boxed set EMI have just issued) and stereo (via the single discs readily available in record store bins and online everywhere), in superb sound, on CD - for about $500-600 total, tops (likely a lot less if you are a good shopper).

In the audiophile realm, where people pay $50-hundreds of dollars for a single LP pressing, that's not much at all!

Or, if you're (understandably) wanting to first test the water, I'd suggest picking up just one or two of the Beatles mono titles on LP - some of the 1980s Parlophone reissues (made from the same stampers as the original 1960s LPs) aren't bad at all, maybe $50-100. Pick up a couple (I'd suggest HELP! and one of the first 2 LPs myself) and compare with the stereo and make your own decisions as to whether you need the rest in mono.

webby
09-09-2009, 14:15
Webby

Well, I've not given it a good spin yet. Nor have I done any proper a/b comparisons. I did do a quick check on headphones of the first track, Taxman. The most obvious difference was the focus of the lead vocals. Much more to the front they were.

After reading what In 'n Out had to say (and I was beginning to think this anyway) my overriding feeling is one of the consumer not getting what they want, yet again.

I'm a Beatles fan. A fan of their music, but I wouldn't say I'm obsessive about them. I have pretty much every cd though. But I feel that as a consumer, I should be given a choice between mono or stereo, not priced out of the mono discs by offering them only in a box set! I want to buy whichever albums I choose based on the given merits of the mono or stereo mix in each case. Sadly, the only choice offered to me if I want to buy one at a time, is the stereo sets.

Clearly, from what I've read, some of the discs are better in mono and some are better or are improved upon, in the stereo. Why should Apple split the audience into 'serious Beatles enthusiasts and audiophiles' and 'the rest'?

As it stands, the mono box set is only available for a limited time, but I'm sure, that at some time in the future, these discs will be available separately. For now, I will hold off buying the early discs.

If anyone has the mono discs....wanna do swaps? For listening test purposes only? ;)

By the way, here are a couple of good write ups on the new remastered discs:

'63-'66 (http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/review-the-beatles-remasters-1963-66-219124)

and

'67-'70 (http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/review-the-beatles-remastered-1967-70-219227)

p.s. In 'n out, I don't have, or rather, don't use a turntable, so that is not an option. Oh, and what is your real name? Thanks

In 'N Out
09-09-2009, 14:32
webby posted: I'm a Beatles fan. A fan of their music, but I wouldn't say I'm obsessive about them. I have pretty much every cd though. But I feel that as a consumer, I should be given a choice between mono or stereo, not priced out of the mono discs by offering them only in a box set!

I generally agree...it is a shame EMI went this route of "limited edition" for the mono box. In an ideal situation all the CDs, mono and stereo, would be available all the time to everyone.

However, that said, this is unfortunately the reality of the situation, at least for now (perhaps EMI will come to their senses eventually and issue the mono discs separately). I also think it's a little odd to read this concern about being "priced out" of the music on an audiophile forum where many people spend thousands of dollars on their gear. :)

I guess it just boils down to how much people value having the music in both formats. I can certainly understand where not everyone may be as fanatical about the Beatles' music as me, and would pass on the mono box due to price, which is a shame, because it is well worth hearing this stuff in both mono and stereo...EMI are you listening?

webby
09-09-2009, 14:46
I also think it's a little odd to read this concern about being "priced out" of the music on an audiophile forum where many people spend thousands of dollars on their gear. :)

I'm sure you say that tongue-in-cheek, but that's like saying I can't complain about fuel prices if I drive an expensive car. Anyway, my gear was mostly bought 2nd hand. At the end of the day, a CD is a CD. I don't expect to pay over the odds for it, nor do I expect to pay for 10 when I want 4. It's about choice.

In 'N Out
09-09-2009, 14:57
webby posted:
Originally Posted by In 'N Out View Post
I also think it's a little odd to read this concern about being "priced out" of the music on an audiophile forum where many people spend thousands of dollars on their gear.
I'm sure you say that tongue-in-cheek, but that's like saying I can't complain about fuel prices if I drive an expensive car. Anyway, my gear was mostly bought 2nd hand. At the end of the day, a CD is a CD. I don't expect to pay over the odds for it, nor do I expect to pay for 10 when I want 4. It's about choice.

The point is, if you wanted the music badly enough, you would do what it took to get it - or per your analogy, if someone "needs" that expensive car, they'll pay what it takes, even if it costs an arm and a leg. Clearly you don't "need" the monos in the way I do, which is totally fine/understandable .

The more I think about it, this is undoubtedly why EMI went the limited edition box route for the monos. I'd wager the vast majority of listeners out there think of mono as outdated and want stereo. It would, I'm sure, be way too costly for EMI to produce the monos in individual runs - most would sit in the bins, and they got lambasted for putting out the original 1987 CDs with the first four in mono - people were griping about that no end. You can't please everyone.

DSJR
09-09-2009, 15:59
You know, the albums are so short, they could have put BOTH Mono AND Stereo on one disc.

Greedy B*st*rds :(

REM
09-09-2009, 16:21
DSJR beat me to it with the comment but just to rub it in I understand that some of the monos feature the stereo version of the lp as well. Wonder how much EMI paid the bean counter that came up with the marketing strategy for this? Anyone heard any more on the vinyl, how much are they going to try stinging us for them?:doh:

DanJennings
09-09-2009, 16:32
You know, the albums are so short, they could have put BOTH Mono AND Stereo on one disc.

Damn straight. I seem to remember some of the kinks reissues did that, and they sounded great.

webby
09-09-2009, 18:05

Yep, I was gonna say that too!

webby
14-09-2009, 21:15
Was listening to Sgt. Pepper in the car on an hours drive this evening and it struck me how, well...., how can I say it?, how many naff songs are on it. I can personally do without hearing Getting Better, Fixing A Hole and Good Morning.

As for the new remaster, I thought Lucy... sounded so much better. I always thought the chorus sounded too loud and shouty before but now it's smooth. A Day In The Life is also majestic.

Alex_UK
14-09-2009, 22:43
At the risk of being shot down in flames, #1's is about all I can manage, if they remaster that I'll buy it... I have tried, honestly I have (I just bought The White Album - *everyone* says this is the best album...) but they're just too damned nice and fluffy, maybe I should experiment with more albums, or maybe I should just accept I don't really like them that much... anyway, is there a particular reason/milestone why these remasters were released 09/09/09, or just marketing hype?

DaveK
14-09-2009, 23:15
Hi Guys,
I do hope this hasn't been said before, but I have never been a rabid Beatles fan - I've bought the odd single they've made in the past but never been motivated enough to buy an albumn, other than the No. 1 CD - but I think it says all that needs to be said when in the very week of the release of the re-issues, the re-issues of a nonogenarian beat them to the number 1 spot - the jury, such as it is these days, has spoken. Factor into that the most likely differing proportions of CD sales and downloads that comprise the calculations these days and the Beatles re-releases could perhaps be judged as a flop by their previous, and anticipated, standards.
Sad really, their pension funds and Michael Jackson's executors must be crying in their beer (not champagne on those sales :lol: :lol: ).
Cheers,

DanJennings
15-09-2009, 08:11
has anyone listened to the reissue of Abbey Road yet? If I was going to start buying these, I'd probably start with that one....

webby
15-09-2009, 08:17
Hi Guys,
I do hope this hasn't been said before, but I have never been a rabid Beatles fan - I've bought the odd single they've made in the past but never been motivated enough to buy an albumn, other than the No. 1 CD - but I think it says all that needs to be said when in the very week of the release of the re-issues, the re-issues of a nonogenarian beat them to the number 1 spot - the jury, such as it is these days, has spoken. Factor into that the most likely differing proportions of CD sales and downloads that comprise the calculations these days and the Beatles re-releases could perhaps be judged as a flop by their previous, and anticipated, standards.
Sad really, their pension funds and Michael Jackson's executors must be crying in their beer (not champagne on those sales :lol: :lol: ).
Cheers,

Hang on, they haven't been out a week yet Dave. Besides, a lot of the 'hardcore' fans are gonna buy the boxsets and I don't know if they'll add to the individual albums sales or not.

Stratmangler
15-09-2009, 08:31
I think it says all that needs to be said when in the very week of the release of the re-issues, the re-issues of a nonogenarian beat them to the number 1 spot - the jury, such as it is these days, has spoken

Jury has spoken my arse !!!! :lolsign:

Similar thing happened in '67, when Englebert Humperdink kept the Beatles off the number 1 spot. The Beatles had the Strawberry Fields/Penny Lane double A side out. It apparently outsold the Humperdink record 2 to 1. Can't remember what the Humperdink effort was.

Chris:ner::ner::ner::ner::ner:

DSJR
15-09-2009, 08:34
"Please release me, let me go
For I don't love you any more....."

I started with Rubber Soul, followed by Please Please Me when i was nine years old back in '66..... The former LP has some wicked lyrics which went right over my head back then, but my appreciation grew as I got older.

I never liked the post MMT work, but again, I wasn't really old enough. By 1970, I was into Pink Floyd (Meddle) and Led Zeppelin so the later Beatles work sounded a bit dated even then...

REM
15-09-2009, 08:35
My mono boxset was delivered on the 10th, but I'd deliberately ordered it on the 9th, so that is the date on the reciept:). No idea why but it just seemed fitting to me, now bring on the vinyl:smoking::smoking:

DSJR
15-09-2009, 08:45
My mono boxset was delivered on the 10th, but I'd deliberately ordered it on the 9th, so that is the date on the reciept:). No idea why but it just seemed fitting to me, now bring on the vinyl:smoking::smoking:

Cut from the same digital masters no doubt - so they'll be inferior! The original LP's were used to aid "voicing" of the CD issues anyway.

Stratmangler
15-09-2009, 08:47
"Please release me, let me go
For I don't love you any more....."

I'd forgotten that it was the chucking out time pissheads anthem. :drinking:

Ah well !

Chris:)

DaveK
15-09-2009, 09:09
Jury has spoken my arse !!!! :lolsign:

Chris:ner::ner::ner::ner::ner:

Hi Chris,
You have your opinion and I am right, it's as simple as that :lolsign:
BTW, have you finished with my co-ax lead yet, I'm missing it :lol: . Will you be going to Owston - have the quacks given you the nod and/or have you got a chauffer lined up?

Hang on, they haven't been out a week yet Dave.

Hi Webby,
True, but it won't make any difference - what's your excuse gonna be next week - start compiling it now' 'cos you'll need one - maybe it's the typos that are putting people off buying the CDs :lolsign: .

I started with Rubber Soul,

I got a pile of old LPs a few weeks ago for cost of postage and included in it was a copy of Rubber Soul, sans sleeve and cover - sounds like shit but maybe a good clean would help - just thought you might be interested :) .
Cheers,

chris@panteg
15-09-2009, 09:45
has anyone listened to the reissue of Abbey Road yet? If I was going to start buying these, I'd probably start with that one....

Hi Dan

It sounds superb ' in fact so much like a good vinyl copy ' Paul's bass lines so gorgeous .

i recommend it , also The Beatles (white album) sounds glorious too.

Cotlake
15-09-2009, 18:18
Vinyl remastered issues out in January.

REM
15-09-2009, 18:34
Vinyl remastered issues out in January.

Really, where did you hear that?

Cotlake
15-09-2009, 19:13
Sorry, I should have said indications are that vinyl will be available in early 2010.

See http://www.diversevinyl.com/htm/news.php?id=1107

Regards,

Greg

REM
16-09-2009, 08:13
Yes I've read the DV blog, was hoping you had something more concrete, it's all a bit of a tease ATM:confused:

The Grand Wazoo
04-11-2009, 12:08
If you're into this sort of thing...........

Beatles release remasters USB stick
Wednesday, November 4 2009, 11:05 GMT

The Beatles' studio albums will be legally available in FLAC and MP3 format for the first time next month with the limited-edition release of a USB stick.
All 14 of the stereo versions of the band's recent remasters will be included on the 16GB apple-shaped device, which will be released on December 7 in the UK and the following day in the US.
The stick also features all 13 mini-documentary films included on the reissues, as well as the original UK album art, expanded liner notes and rare photographs.
Audio on the USB device will be provided in PC and Mac-compatible FLAC 44.1khz 24 bit and MP3 320kbps formats with a specially-designed Flash interface also included.
The release is limited to 30,000 copies - 100 in the UK store - and can be pre-ordered from the official Beatles store for £200.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/news/a185171/beatles-release-remasters-usb-stick.html

Stratmangler
04-11-2009, 12:15
FLAC 44.1khz 24 bit

That's the same spec as HDCD ripped to FLAC using dbPoweramp.

I've got a few of the CD's and they sound excellent - these promise to sound even better.

Rare Bird
04-11-2009, 12:23
I'm gonna buy the new Beatles stereo remaster titles now prices have dropped a few quid.
I have the last remasters of the below, are these new ones a vast improvement or it it all a selling thing as usual?

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
Magical Mystery Tour
The Beatles (White Album)
Yellow Submarine
Abbey Road

Stratmangler
04-11-2009, 12:34
I'm gonna buy the new Beatles stereo remaster titles now prices have dropped a few quid.
I have the last remasters of the below, are these new ones a vast improvement or it it all a selling thing as usual?

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
Magical Mystery Tour
The Beatles (White Album)
Yellow Submarine
Abbey Road

I can vouch for 3 out of these 5 remasters (haven't heard the White Album, or Yellow Submarine), and they are all superior to the previous releases. There is detail aplenty missed by the original CD releases.

I've also got the Rubber Soul and Revolver remasters - they are excellent too !

Rare Bird
04-11-2009, 12:47
Cheers chris..

Stratmangler
04-11-2009, 13:00
Cheers chris..

You're welcome.

chris@panteg
04-11-2009, 13:10
The White album sounds excellent ' in fact revolution 9 actually sounds quite interesting now ' strange thing to say ' yes i know but it sounds so clear and detailed .

Stratmangler
04-11-2009, 14:57
The White album sounds excellent ' in fact revolution 9 actually sounds quite interesting now ' strange thing to say ' yes i know but it sounds so clear and detailed .

I'd heard that the White Album remaster far exceeded people's expectations.

Themis
04-11-2009, 16:07
"Far exceeded" I don't know, as far as I'm concerned. Al the albums sound very good to my ears.
But I still don't find the "magic" of the cassette '70 versions. Perhaps I'm after a particular distortion, don't know. ;)

Stratmangler
04-11-2009, 16:26
"Far exceeded" I don't know, as far as I'm concerned. Al the albums sound very good to my ears.
But I still don't find the "magic" of the cassette '70 versions. Perhaps I'm after a particular distortion, don't know. ;)

OK, I might have been slightly over enthusiastic with my use of the word "far".

Chris;)

Rare Bird
04-11-2009, 16:51
I'd heard that the White Album remaster far exceeded people's expectations.

Probably cos George Martin wasnt there :lol:

:sofa:

webby
05-12-2009, 17:56
Just read a review of the new Macca live album and it says (about the Beatles Songs) "some of these songs are familiar to the point of tedium".

I have to agree. Having bought a few of the remastered cd's, yes they sound great, but do I really want to hear them again?

Do you think it's possible to tire of something through over familiarity?

Themis
05-12-2009, 18:10
No, I don't think so. Tiredness usually comes from stress, not repetition.
I think so, at least : there so many repetitive things in life (eating, talking, sex, drinking, etc) that if repetition caused tiredness, we'll all commit suicide... ;)

Rare Bird
12-12-2009, 23:37
I think so, at least : there so many repetitive things in life (eating, talking, sex, drinking, etc) that if repetition caused tiredness, we'll all commit suicide... ;)

Thats the end of modern music lovers then :lol:

Joe
13-12-2009, 21:24

Definitely, there's a couple of albums I used to really like but have 'overplayed' to the point that I can't listen to them any more.

Joe
13-12-2009, 21:27

White noise.
We're gonna get real speedy
We're gonna wear black all the time
You're gonna make it on your own.
Cos we dig
Cos we dig
We dig
We dig repetition
We dig repetition
We dig repetition in the music
And we're never going to lose it.
All you daughters and sons
who are sick of fancy music
We dig repetition
Repetition in the drums
and we're never going to lose it.
This is the three R's
The three R's:
Repetition, Repetition, Repetition
Oh mental hospitals
Oh mental hospitals
They put electrodes in your brain
And you're never the same
You don't dig repetition
You don't love repetition
Repetition in the music and we're never going to lose it
President Carter loves repetition
Chairman Mao he dug repetition
Repetition in China
Repetition in America
Repetition in West Germany
Simultaneous suicide
We dig it, we dig it,
we dig it, we dig it
Repetition, repetition, repetition
There is no hesitation
This is your situation
Continue a blank generation
Blank generation
Same old blank generation
Grooving blank generation
Swinging blank generation
Repetition, repetition, repetition....

'Repetition' The Fall.

Stratmangler
13-12-2009, 21:29
White noise.
We're gonna get real speedy
We're gonna wear black all the time
You're gonna make it on your own.
Cos we dig
Cos we dig
We dig
We dig repetition
We dig repetition
We dig repetition in the music
And we're never going to lose it.
All you daughters and sons
who are sick of fancy music
We dig repetition
Repetition in the drums
and we're never going to lose it.
This is the three R's
The three R's:
Repetition, Repetition, Repetition
Oh mental hospitals
Oh mental hospitals
They put electrodes in your brain
And you're never the same
You don't dig repetition
You don't love repetition
Repetition in the music and we're never going to lose it
President Carter loves repetition
Chairman Mao he dug repetition
Repetition in China
Repetition in America
Repetition in West Germany
Simultaneous suicide
We dig it, we dig it,
we dig it, we dig it
Repetition, repetition, repetition
There is no hesitation
This is your situation
Continue a blank generation
Blank generation
Same old blank generation
Grooving blank generation
Swinging blank generation
Repetition, repetition, repetition....

'Repetition' The Fall.

Your choice of recorded material seems to fall outside of the usual realm of SET owners Joe.

Joe
13-12-2009, 21:31
Mheh! I'm also partial to Lee 'Scratch' Perry, Wagner, Mahler and The Boo Radleys.

Stratmangler
13-12-2009, 21:35
Mheh! I'm also partial to Lee 'Scratch' Perry, Wagner, Mahler and The Boo Radleys.

All played whilst wearing slippers and sucking on a pipe I resume ?

Chris;)

Joe
13-12-2009, 21:37
Oh aye. Sitting in a rocking chair with me Val Doonican cardie on.

Stratmangler
13-12-2009, 21:39
:lolsign:

Themis
13-12-2009, 21:46
I wanna hear Maceo Parker play "Joy In Repetition"
U 'bout 2 hear Candy Dulfer play "Joy In Repetition"
U 'bout 2 hear, hah, Larry Graham play "Joy In Repetition"
Oh, U 'bout hear Prince play "Joy In Repetition"
Turn it up, John

Should he try 2 rap with her? Should he stand and stare?
No one else was watching her, she didn't seem 2 care.
So over and over, she said the words til he could take no more, (no more)
he dragged her from the stage and together they ran through the back door
In the alley over by the curb he said tell me what's your name
she only said the words again and it started to rain (rain, rain, rain)
2 words falling between the drops and the moans of his condition
holding someone is truly believing there's joy in repetition.
There's joy in repetition.
There's joy in repetition.

Prince :lol:

chris@panteg
14-12-2009, 11:13
Oh dear oh dear

http://vimeo.com/8013843