PDA

View Full Version : Nakamichi DR10 help needed?

Tweedle-Dee
28-08-2009, 23:23
I wonder if I can tap into your collective expertise with a Nakamichi DR10 that I picked up, but have been unable to play. It is in excellent (near as new) appearance, but when I load a cassette and press play I can hear something engaging and then a error message appears on the counter display. The only way I can then eject the tape is by turning the machine off and on again, at which point is is possible to remove the tape.

The heads and rollers look in good condition. Is there anything simple that I can do to try to trace the fault? I'm reluctant to send this off to B&W as the likely expense would not be justified by the value of the deck.

Any suggestions/advice welcomed.

Many thanks,
TD.

Alex Nikitin
29-08-2009, 00:03
It could be a number of reasons. Are both capstans rotating when the deck is on? What happens if you press "Play" without a cassette? What happens when you press FF and REW?

Alex

Tweedle-Dee
29-08-2009, 20:04
Thanks Alex,
I've checked and both capstans are rotating when a tape is loaded at first. If fast forwarded is then selected this works fine, as dose reverse. However, when play is selected I can hear something engaging (heads?) and then the ERR message appears and the deck has to be turned off to allow the cassette to be ejected.

Without a tape, the fast forward and play operate as above (with power off and on needed to get rid of the ERR message upon selecting play. In contrast to the above, however, when reverse is selected without a tape, the same ERR message appears and power down needed.

TD

Alex Nikitin
29-08-2009, 21:55
Thanks Alex,
I've checked and both capstans are rotating when a tape is loaded at first. If fast forwarded is then selected this works fine, as dose reverse. However, when play is selected I can hear something engaging (heads?) and then the ERR message appears and the deck has to be turned off to allow the cassette to be ejected.

Without a tape, the fast forward and play operate as above (with power off and on needed to get rid of the ERR message upon selecting play. In contrast to the above, however, when reverse is selected without a tape, the same ERR message appears and power down needed.

TD

Hi TD,

It is quite difficult to diagnose a fault like this remotely ;) . It could be that the mode motor is faulty, could be that one of the mode switches is not making a proper contact, could be that the mechanism is misaligned. I would start with fixing the mode motor and cleaning the mode switches.

Cheers

Alex

Mike
29-08-2009, 22:26
Demonic possession! :sofa:

Spectral Morn
29-08-2009, 22:32
Demonic possession! :sofa:

NO....another Arthur Daily/Joke E-Bayer who hasn't a clue what they are doing, or know exactly; Rip off merchants. Description no doubt full of the same old crap. "In full working order last time I looked...."I don't know what this is, but it looks fine to me"....."Mint, Excellent Condition, full working order, lights up and wee round things go round" -(covered in scratches, dents etc and not working). "Sold as Spares or Repair....but it works;)" These types of sellers should be taken out and exterminated. ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!:steam::(

Hope you get the Nak sorted out.

Regards D S D L

Tweedle-Dee
30-08-2009, 11:22
Thanks to you all for your advice and support. I'll have a go following Alex's suggestions - I've nothing to lose really.

I'll post an update in due course....

Cheers,
TD