PDA

View Full Version : Sound Compromises

John
18-08-2009, 19:44
Over the last few days I been playing with my new Open Baffle speakers trying to to get the set up
Intially I had the system set up with a deep tuneful bass it would let you into the harmonic texture of the bass Great for most forms of music but when it came to my main music of choice it could not convey kick drums in a realistic manner. Kick drums did not kick.
After much playing around with getting the EQ right, slightly altering the phase on the plate amp and adding some diy bass traps it all suddendly started to sound right in the kick drum department but I lost some of that tuneful bass I had.
Given the choice i choose realistic kick drums anytime overdeep tuneful bass but undertsand most people might make another choice, so I was wondering what sound compromises you have had to make and why

Spectral Morn
18-08-2009, 22:30
Hi John

In order to try and reduce electricity bills I have brought my Bat 300se integrated back down stairs to see if I can live with it rather than the BatVK31se pre and Chapter Audio SS amp(that in its self was a compromise over 75watts of valve power in terms of electricity consumption). It takes the integrated about a week to come on song so I don't know yet. First day the answer was a resounding no...we shall see.

Regards D S D L

aquapiranha
18-08-2009, 23:03
Good idea Neil. I have just had my bill for this quarter... £44.23 ! and I have been using the valve amp (ok, so it is only small..) It never ceases to amaze me how people can have 3 TV's in the house and they are all on standby - nuts.

I have a feeling all the BAT gear is excellent, but then I imagine it is a matter of synergy as much as anything else.

EDIT: I used to use a Trends that I sometimes powered off a 12V SLA, I suppose you can't get much more energy efficient, unless I used solar to charge the SLA.

John
19-08-2009, 06:32
I used to always leave my power amp on in the past; it took about a week for it to sound at its best. Now thankfully it takes about 20mins before really creating great music (used o have a Gamut D200 now use a SAC Kt88) and no longer leave anything on stand by

Clive
19-08-2009, 08:07
It never ceases to amaze me how people can have 3 TV's in the house and they are all on standby - nuts.

Many more recent TVs aren't bad in standby mode. 0.1W is not uncommon nowadays. I don't leave TVs in standby overnight anyway, I don't like leaving too much electronics on in case something shorts out.

I suppose a compromise I make is not leave my valve amps on and unattended for more than a few minutes, this is not to reduce power consumption; it's because I once had flames from one when a capacitor failed. Turning the amps off more frequently will shorten valve lifetime but the last thing I want is a fire.

Spectral Morn
19-08-2009, 10:05
Good idea Neil. I have just had my bill for this quarter... £44.23 ! and I have been using the valve amp (ok, so it is only small..) It never ceases to amaze me how people can have 3 TV's in the house and they are all on standby - nuts.

I have a feeling all the BAT gear is excellent, but then I imagine it is a matter of synergy as much as anything else.

EDIT: I used to use a Trends that I sometimes powered off a 12V SLA, I suppose you can't get much more energy efficient, unless I used solar to charge the SLA.

Hi steve

Main reason isn't because I am particularly green, but simply because I don't think its fair for my wife to have to pay big electricity bills when I am not earning a wage.

The Batvk300 se integrated is very good but (and this was what I was using quite happily until I got their separate pre and then the power. However the pre-power was a fairly big upgrade in every area of performance over the one box unit. But my system has changed since then in terms front end and cabling....perhaps it will even its self out) can I go back from what I had been using ? Thats the question I really have to answer or find another alternative.

Regards Neil

aquapiranha
19-08-2009, 11:26
Well you do surprise me Neil, when I was at your house I was particularly green - with envy!!

But i see what you are saying about a potential 'downgrade' from the pre/power to the integrated. I hope you find a suitable solution. Steve