PDA

View Full Version : My very modest system

Alex_UK
18-08-2009, 10:56
Hi guys, well as I've been here a couple of weeks I probably ought to stick some piccies up of my very modest main system.

First, 2 general views of the room - the "business end"

http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu259/Alex_Steel1969/hifi/IMG_1601.jpg

The AV End - 42" Panasonic Plasma, SKY HD box, Toshiba DVD player (never used really) Nintendo Wii, Playstation 3 and Playstation 2 - The PS3 also has the Play TV freeview box, which turns it into a PVR - Using my Sony PSP and a wireless connection I can access the PS3 remotely from anywhere in the world and watch stored TV shows or live TV, and access any stored music, videos or photos on the home network - I've got 750GB of storage hanging off another laptop in the study using Twonky Media Server to stream to any/all of the devices... Oh, and remote control lights! :)

http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu259/Alex_Steel1969/hifi/IMG_1602.jpg

Yes - that is Hendrix on the telly, and AOS on the Sony Vaio laptop!

This is a general view of the rack - the laptop is hidden away on the bottom shelf (USB to Caiman), the Xbox 360 (toslink to the Caiman) on the one above it. I can switch inputs on the screen between the 2 at the push of a button, so I can play games or watch a movie (or surf whilst wearing headphones) so Sue can still watch her soaps... (yawn) or other crap!

http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu259/Alex_Steel1969/hifi/IMG_1598.jpg

A close up of the top shelf - Pro-Ject RPM 4 turntable - is getting too dusty, but the cover is hideous! Note the matching vinyl - bought purely for the colour! (I know, tart!)

There is also my Roku Soundbridge, which is ace (coax to the Caiman) and a Pure ipod doc - mainly for Sue to play her ipod tunes from, or for friends to demo new tunes when they come over.

http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu259/Alex_Steel1969/hifi/IMG_1599.jpg

And last up, close up of the Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD player - linked to the Caiman by coax, but also to the analogue inputs on the Creek Amp, as the Caiman doesn't seem to like SACD discs. The other box is a cheapo Rotel phono stage - I don't play records downstairs much but the Garrard is in dire need of refurbishment before it gets into the main room!

http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu259/Alex_Steel1969/hifi/IMG_1600.jpg

Overall, I'm happy with the sound, though speaker placement is not ideal, and may be changing soon, but it all fits in pretty well without looking like a hi-fi shop!

Thanks for looking!

Alex

Spectral Morn
18-08-2009, 11:23
Nice set up Alex, thank you for sharing. Is it really only a couple of weeks since you joined ?

Regards D S D L

Alex_UK
18-08-2009, 11:30
Is it really only a couple of weeks since you joined ?

Certainly is your SupremeBeingNess - blame Stan - he pointed me in this direction to check out the Caiman when I ordered the standard 7520 (not knowing the Caiman existed!) Suffice to say I chose the Caiman, then sort of stuck around like a bad penny! :lol:

It just seems longer to you because I am a "gob on a stick" (or whatever the forum equivalent would be!) Oh, and I'm always online because I haven't got any real friends! :violin:

The Vinyl Adventure
18-08-2009, 11:54
gob on a stick ... reminds me of a film i saw last night... wolf creek. this guy stabs a girl in the back to sever her spine and makes a joke about her becoming a "head on a stick" so he can do mingin things to her...
was a pretty horible film to be fair!

anyway...

nice looking set up! AOS forum spotted on laptop screen! ... have you left that sofa in the last 2 weeks?

Alex_UK
18-08-2009, 12:06
have you left that sofa in the last 2 weeks?

Actually, you'd be surprised how much travelling I've done, but I'm never far from a laptop!

kcc123
18-08-2009, 13:04
Hi Alex,
A very interesting set up and a nice looking living room!
I also have a Wii, Sony PS2 and PS3 at home and they are in my son’s own room at the moment as I only occasionally play those video games, but my son is an addict.
It seems that the position of your speakers is not ideal, probably you have made a compromise between absolute sound quality and family harmony.

Mike Reed
18-08-2009, 13:42
Those speakers look very ProAc-ish, but I can't see a mention of them (maybe my eyes!).

That's the first time I've seen speakers, even in an AV based system, on adjacent walls. How d'you get any realistic imaging on them?

I did note that you considered their placement less than ideal, though, so maybe there's a logistics planning session pending.

Alex_UK
18-08-2009, 14:21
Hi Alex,
A very interesting set up and a nice looking living room!
I also have a Wii, Sony PS2 and PS3 at home and they are in my son’s own room at the moment as I only occasionally play those video games, but my son is an addict.
It seems that the position of your speakers is not ideal, probably you have made a compromise between absolute sound quality and family harmony.

Many thanks King, yes - speaker placement is a compromise - see below in answer to Mike's Question.

Those speakers look very ProAc-ish, but I can't see a mention of them (maybe my eyes!).

You're right - I didn't mention them in the commentary - (but they are in my signature in teeny writing!) - They are Acoustic Energy Aegis Evo 3s - I really like them, and I believe they were quite well regarded in their day for a budget floorstander, (think they were about £350) though they are probably the weak link in the system. I grew up on the "spend all your money on the source philosophy", so I've never got round to trying a decent set of speakers. Would have to be floorstanders, with the little 'un, Proac would definitely be someone I'd check out. Anyone got any other suggestions, what to look for and sort of dosh to spend would be interesting to hear.

That's the first time I've seen speakers, even in an AV based system, on adjacent walls. How d'you get any realistic imaging on them?

Actually, they're not as bad as you might imagine but only if you are right in the "sweet spot". But, for proper listening, (i.e. when I'm on my own and the rugrat is in bed!) I just pull them out into the room and toe them out (still sligt toe in) which gets them into free space (they have a rear port at the bottom too, so like a bit of air around them).

I did note that you considered their placement less than ideal, though, so maybe there's a logistics planning session pending.

Clsoe friends of ours have just had their living room done up, with a lovely sideboard, with plasma mounted on the wall above it (i.e. where the big picture is on the wall in my room) - the speakers would then fit in on the long wall - my wife really liked our firiends setup (but not the suggestion I had made to do this 5 years ago when we moved in! :doh:) We shall see!

DSJR
18-08-2009, 15:20
AAAAHHHHHHH! I've just seen where you hail from Alex.......... Actually, it's FAR better than Lu'on, where I lived for a few years :D

All the audio shops have gone from there now - a shame as I once wanted to invest in one when the owner didn't want to - by the time he did, I'd used all my money up on house buying/refurbishment and living expenses :( Our local Naim dealer is a great guy, but is fine as he is, working from home and with a business partner for the custom-install side..

Alex_UK
18-08-2009, 15:42
Funny, I was wondering myself if there are any dealers around other than Hughes - which has been fine for the Creek amp, though they are no longer dealers, I don't think. My previous purchases have been from Sevenoaks - Bury St Edmunds, Ipswich and Norwich - I know the first 2 are long gone, not sure about Norwich. Martins in Norwich used to be pretty good but not been there in a decade.

Spectral Morn
18-08-2009, 16:23
Certainly is your SupremeBeingNess - blame Stan - he pointed me in this direction to check out the Caiman when I ordered the standard 7520 (not knowing the Caiman existed!) Suffice to say I chose the Caiman, then sort of stuck around like a bad penny! :lol:

It just seems longer to you because I am a "gob on a stick" (or whatever the forum equivalent would be!) Oh, and I'm always online because I haven't got any real friends! :violin:

Well you've got all of us as your friends.....virtual does become real as AOS members visit each other.

Regards D S D L

DSJR
18-08-2009, 17:33
In future, look west to HiFi dave. he does Rega, some Naim and loads of lovely valve gear............ His gaff isn't too difficult to reach from Ipswich.

The HiFi part of Hughes ("Systems" in Cambridge) was absorbed into the other Cambridge store some years ago. Sevenoaks Bury St Edmunds moved to Ipswich, but that's now a charity shop (it was last week when I was in the town).

Ali Tait
18-08-2009, 18:02
For speakers,if you would consider something a little different,check out the WD designs.They do floorstanders and they can be demoed.The good thing about a speaker with a DIY element is they sound way better than the equivalent cost of commercial offerings.They are the brainchild of Peter Comeau,who has designed speakers for Harbeth,amongst others,so I guess he knows what he's doing! I've heard a pair of the bookshelf version and they are very good indeed,being one of the most unbox-like box speakers I've ever heard,if you see what I mean.

Alex_UK
18-08-2009, 19:25
Thanks Neil, Dave & Ali - I did find myself perusing Radlett Audio's site the other day, some of the Neat range look interesting... as does it a bit of diy - plenty of scope for detailed research!

Macca
18-08-2009, 20:47
Hi Alex

Looks like a great system - and your room is so clean and tastefully furnished!:steam:

I've had to use 'speakers across a corner in a few previous houses - not ideal but as you say - give them a bit of space and you can get some decent imaging.

Source first - bloody good philosophy - one of the most musical/enthralling/whatever you want to call it systems I have ever heard was a Linn LP12/ Cambridge A60/Wharfedale Diamond 4s. Putting better speakers on it ruined the whole thing - there was a lesson!

Best regards

Martin:)

Alex_UK
18-08-2009, 20:56
Cheers Martin - what you can't see of course is the corner of the room that is jam-packed full of toys for my 11 month daughter! We have just decided to keep them all there, previously it looked like Hamleys round the telly! I also confess to having a tidy up before taking the pics! (all my papers and magazines strewn over the coffee table!)

DSJR
18-08-2009, 21:00
For speakers,if you would consider something a little different,check out the WD designs.They do floorstanders and they can be demoed.The good thing about a speaker with a DIY element is they sound way better than the equivalent cost of commercial offerings.They are the brainchild of Peter Comeau,who has designed speakers for Harbeth,amongst others,so I guess he knows what he's doing! I've heard a pair of the bookshelf version and they are very good indeed,being one of the most unbox-like box speakers I've ever heard,if you see what I mean.

What Harbeths has PC designed? I thought Alan Shaw and Dudley himself were the only ones ever to put their name to a Harbeth design (oh, and Derek Hughes recently, son of SPENcer and DORothy Hughes). I know Peter worked for other companies after he left Heybrook though (was Mission one?).

Anyway, PC is one of those who'll patiently explain what goes into voicing a speaker and why, and he'll tell you how to fine-tune a crossover to get the desired results.....

Ali Tait
18-08-2009, 21:28
Oh bugger you're quite right! Apologies,senior moment on my part I'm afraid,yes Heybrook was what I meant and yes,I think he did have input on some Mission designs.I'll get me coat...

DSJR
18-08-2009, 21:30
We're all agreed though that Mr Comeau is a good guy with his heart in the right place :)

Ali Tait
19-08-2009, 11:38
He's off to China to work for Mission I think.

Steve Toy
20-08-2009, 01:35
Actually, they're not as bad as you might imagine but only if you are right in the "sweet spot". But, for proper listening, (i.e. when I'm on my own and the rugrat is in bed!) I just pull them out into the room and toe them out (still sligt toe in) which gets them into free space (they have a rear port at the bottom too, so like a bit of air around them).

The picture is of them in their park position.

Can we see a pic of them in drive position?

I know of another Alex who did the same as you, pulling his speakers into the room for music listening and putting them back for general living. I guess the logic is the same as that for sofa beds.

Mike Reed
21-08-2009, 08:20
My previous purchases have been from Sevenoaks - Bury St Edmunds, Ipswich and Norwich - I know the first 2 are long gone, not sure about Norwich. Martins in Norwich used to be pretty good but not been there in a decade.

Yup ! Both 7oaks and Martins fully functioning here in 'A Fine City' called Norwich.

Alex_UK
02-12-2009, 17:15
OK, I’ve got the desire to “fiddle” with my main system – I’m reasonably happy with all of the sources, the DAC and the cabling, so I’m looking at a bit more “oomph” – especially at low volumes, if that isn’t a contradiction?

1. Acoustic Energy have the matching Sub-Woofer to my speakers (Evo Subwoofer) on clearance as it is now end of line - £175 (Half price) I've never really liked the idea other than for movies, though. Any thoughts on a sub?

2. Use my Creek Evo as a pre-amp only, and add either a Behringer A500 (very keen to see if this would be the giant-killer suggested by some) or a second-hand power amp for under £200 – I loved my Audiolab 8000S, so an 8000P would be the obvious choice at that sort of money. (I did contemplate using the 8000S in Power-Only mode, but at 60W vs the Creek’s 85W I can’t see this would be an upgrade? Plus the 8000S is a bit tired now, after being left switched on virtually 24/7 for 13 years.)

3. Sell my current speakers on ebay, and go for a pair of clearance/2nd hand speakers at around £400 – been looking specifically at Dali Suite 2.8 (Sevenoaks Brighton have these at £400, RRP is around a grand) – they get good reviews – Shaun (Haselsh1) has a pair (and likes them), but also seen other options second-hand such as some of the Monitor Audio Silver floorstanders, (RS6/RS8) maybe even low range Focal JMLabs (816) Or I could try and stretch to the Heco Celan 700s I am still lusting after that Mr C has for sale at £625...

4. Any other suggestions?

5. None of the above, wait for the taxman to sort his act out, and then I might have a bit more to spend in the New Year – what path would you suggest with say £1,000?

Maybe I should just forget about system changes and just enjoy the music for a while!

Primalsea
02-12-2009, 19:55
Hi Alex,

Its a bit of a difficult one really but I would'nt write off your Audiolab just yet. Oddly the power supply capacitors are probably on tip top condition if the amp has been left on but not running too hot at idle.

IMHO opinion if you want speakers and amps get your speakers first, make sure they're keepers and then look into trying different amps to find one that really matches it.

Its just the way that I would do it these days but some might say otherwise.

MartinT
02-12-2009, 22:23
Hi Alex - you'll never get sound from SACDs running into the Caiman because it's a 1-bit format that doesn't fit down S/PDIF links like the optical and co-ax ports. Only a very few DACs in the world can decode SACD and your Marantz can't output the digital format anyway. That's why you need the analogue interconnect.

The Vinyl Adventure
02-12-2009, 22:52
i recon you might be able to get hold of some pmc fb1+'s like mine for £600 - £700 these days :) turns out they are keepers!!

Themis
03-12-2009, 00:38
Only a very few DACs in the world can decode SACD and your Marantz can't output the digital format anyway. That's why you need the analogue interconnect.
True. But your PS3 can output SACD as a multi-channel digital PCM, still, you need a recent A/V amp to decode multichannel PCM. ;)

Scorchin34
31-01-2010, 15:02
Beautiful kit! I Considered the Creek integrated amp but found the smoothness of the Rega more relaxing to listen to so I went with it, unfortunately I didn't clue in on it not having remote control so I had to find a pre that will go passive to have remote control ability, it didn't affect the sound that I could detect so I'm still very pleased with Rega's very simple but very effective Integrated.
Enjoyed your show.

Peace,
Preston

Alex_UK
23-10-2010, 17:41
Well the arrival of the Belkin mains filter unit finally prompted me to have a bit of a tidy up, and as suggested by Dave DSJR following his visit a couple of weeks ago, move the coffee table between the speakers (I'd already moved them from the original pictures in this thread) - and also since the first pictures I've had my Garrad 401 in the main system, the Planar 3/R200 I picked up, and now the Technics SL-150 which was the reason for Dave's visit. Also, I've fitted a phono board to the Creek amp, removing the need for the separate Rotel phono stage. Pretty much all the cables have changed too, courtesy of Mark Grant for speaker cable and G1000HD between DAC and amp, and a Mike special digital cable from CD to Caiman. Here's a few pictures of the new setup:

http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu259/Alex_Steel1969/hifi/IMG_3786.jpg?1287854215

http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu259/Alex_Steel1969/hifi/IMG_3789.jpg?1287854293

http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu259/Alex_Steel1969/hifi/IMG_3792.jpg?1287854340

http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu259/Alex_Steel1969/hifi/IMG_3791.jpg?1287854378

It sounds much better with this speaker positioning, though obviously not ideal for AV use, but it is easy to move the right hand speaker back to its original position temporarily for when playing the TV/PS3 through the system.

Of course the only problem now is that I won't really know how much difference (if any) the power conditioner is making unless I go back to the Tacima at a later stage. Organising the cables may have helped a bit too.

I should also add that the SL-150 with SL-1500 arm, with Herbies mat and Sorbothane Foculpod feet sounds much better than my beaten up old 401/SME 3009 S2 improved, using the same Nagaoka MP-15 in Sumiko headshell. I suspect once I get the Garrard serviced, plinthed and possibly a new arm/cart the positions will reverse but for the moment the Techie is really doing the giant killing thing it has a reputation for.

The Caiman now has the passive output mod and I somehow managed to stuff the "big yellow Italian film caps" in the case! The bottom granite "place mat" has Sorbothane feet added, the one on top is there to add a bit of damping.

There you go - the bonus is that the room feels a lot bigger, and my wife much prefers this layout too. We're now debating whether or not to put the TV where the coffee table is, but probably won't I suspect. Just ordered another PF30 power unit for the AV kit though... :)

kcc123
23-10-2010, 18:04
Hi Alex,

It certainly looks more elegant than before. I also think it will be best for both of your AV and main systems if you put the TV between the speakers.

Reid Malenfant
23-10-2010, 18:05
Looking nice Alex ;) I can hear something though :scratch: Hold on let me pause this CD, aha i can hear clearly now, it's the TV ;)

It says "move me" :ner:

Well i would anyway, stuff moving speakers about & having to accurately reposition them :mental:

colinB
23-10-2010, 18:07
Dont normally get excited about home furnishings Alex but that coffee table is a beauty. Why were you recommended to put it in the middle?

Alex_UK
23-10-2010, 18:13
Thanks King & Mark... Yes, maybe I will try the TV in the middle - only issue is that the way the room is laid out it would make it harder to see in the sofa next to the hifi rack, but as we so rarely have people round watching telly it is not really an issue.

Colin - thanks - the coffee table was from Next, it is "solid" mango. The reason Dave suggested the move was so the speakers could be spaced further apart than they were - the right one was in the position it is now pretty much, with the left one adjacent to it and then the coffee table where it was in the original pictures - not really enough space between the two - if that makes sense?

Pete The Cat
23-10-2010, 18:33
Love to know how you keep the little 'un(-s) away from the speaker drivers...

Pete

Alex_UK
23-10-2010, 19:05
Love to know how you keep the little 'un(-s) away from the speaker drivers...

Pete

http://imagineannie.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/straight-jacket1.jpg

:lol: Actually, she now helps me put the covers on if I forget! Bless! I have lost one woofer, but I'm not sure it was her - a tweeter was poked but came back out ok - that was before I put the grills on whenever she is around...

DSJR
23-10-2010, 19:57
looks great Alex. Unless the TV can go on the wall or stand on the cabinet between the speakers, I'd just move the right speaker as necessary :)

Alex_UK
23-10-2010, 20:08
Cheers Dave. Still pondering, it'll take me another year to do anything about it anyway! :lol:

Welder
23-10-2010, 22:12
Psssst Alex, you know that rather nice beige jacket with the special sleeves you got your daughter; well I need a couple for a pair of two year olds and one large size for a small adult. Any chance you could link me up (quietly of course) to the deviant shop you get the rest of your gear from :o
System looks fine mate :)
I eventually covered the speaker grills with 1/8 ply, painted them black and then got my daughter (in her twenties now thankfully) to spray a design on the fronts.
Still don’t know what to do about the cable at the back of the tea trolly/Hi Fi rack. Keep thinking about bearing the mains cable somewhere accessible and hoping one of the two year olds might take hold. Awww, don’t look so outraged, she’s got another :eek:

Alex_UK
23-10-2010, 22:22
Sorry if I mislead you, the wife puts the straight jacket on me (if I ask nicely) to stop me ripping Avatar's fingers off for poking the speakers... I hadn't thoght of putting it on her! (On the Avatar, not the wife, I've lined her up with a nice pair of concrete boots and a long walk off a short pier... :eyebrows:)

Barry
24-10-2010, 00:56
http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu259/Alex_Steel1969/hifi/IMG_3786.jpg?1287854215

I wish my Belkin mains conditioner was as compact as that. How many sockets does it have Alex? Had I known how massive and bulky the PF40 is, I would have gone for two PF30s which would probably occupy less space than the PF40.

It really is that big: I had intended locating it under the TV on its trolly, but it won't fit! It's about 2mm too high. :steam: I'm going to have to "rethink my act Man".

Must say your layout (and room) looks remarkable neat and elegant. No doubt a woman's touch! ;)

Regards

Ali Tait
24-10-2010, 10:13
Take the feet off it Barry.

Reid Malenfant
24-10-2010, 10:20
I wish my Belkin mains conditioner was as compact as that. How many sockets does it have Alex? Had I known how massive and bulky the PF40 is, I would have gone for two PF30s which would probably occupy less space than the PF40.

It really is that big: I had intended locating it under the TV on its trolly, but it won't fit! It's about 2mm too high. :steam: I'm going to have to "rethink my act Man".
First dibs if you decide to sell it Barry :eyebrows: I need two of the blasted things just to power the stuff that'll be in my rack :lolsign:

Alex_UK
24-10-2010, 10:57
I wish my Belkin mains conditioner was as compact as that. How many sockets does it have Alex?
5, Barry - 1 Amp, 2 audio, 2 video - I'm running laptop & Caiman from the video sockets, CD & Turntable on the audio ones.

Must say your layout (and room) looks remarkable neat and elegant. No doubt a woman's touch! ;) Thanks Barry - actually I'm the "interior designer" usually, and came up with most of the colours in the house. Not my choice on cushions though - useless things cushions, no man should ever buy cushions! :eyebrows:

The room only looks that neat once a week on a Saturday - after the housework but before Avatar gets up from her morning nap! :)

DSJR
24-10-2010, 13:28
"Avatar" is a great little personality who already twists Daddy round her little finger :lol:

Rare Bird
24-10-2010, 19:40
I'll give you a modest system that will be with me for good that cost no where near what yours cost..Pics next week.

Alex_UK
24-10-2010, 19:56
"Avatar" is a great little personality who already twists Daddy round her little finger :lol:

Not sure that is correct Dave - not even my hand, it must be at least be a whole arm she twists me around! I'm dreading the teens already! :eek:

Alex_UK
24-10-2010, 19:57
I'll give you a modest system that will be with me for good that cost no where near what yours cost..Pics next week.

Intriguing - you little tease! :eyebrows:

Welder
24-10-2010, 20:55
Don’t panic Alex, teen daughters are great :)
I survived two ;)……..cant say the same for my wallet :doh:

Alex_UK
24-10-2010, 21:25
Well, based on a couple of albums last night, and one so far this evening (plus a bit of casual listening with guests) - repositioning my speakers into a more ideal layout has been a revelation... I'm hearing a proper stereo image in this house for the first time, and one that I've only ever really experienced with headphones before. Yep, absolutely the best upgrade I've made in 6 years since living here - if I'd spent a grand to get this sort of improvement I would have been happy (no DSJR, that doesn't mean you can send me a "consultancy" bill! ;)) I'm just wondering why the hell it took me so long! :doh:

DSJR
25-10-2010, 09:46
Well, you needed an experienced expert Guru to "show you the one true way." :D

The bill is in the post...........;)

Alex_UK
25-10-2010, 17:53
Well, you needed an experienced expert Guru to "show you the one true way." :D

Indeed - thank goodness I don't live near Wrexham otherwise I'd be struggling to fit two tatty old wardrobes in my living room! ;)

On a slightly more serious note, I suspect the problem of "isolation" in this hobby is one we all suffer to some extent - no one other than non-hifi mates & family has ever listened to my system - one of the beauties of AoS as a community is that it enables us nutters to meet each other and as in this case, pass on tips. But I'm still not sending you any money Dave! :ner:

;)

Reid Malenfant
25-10-2010, 17:55
Indeed - thank goodness I don't live near Wrexham otherwise I'd be struggling to fit two tatty old wardrobes in my living room! ;)

:lolsign:

Alex_UK
22-02-2011, 23:19
Well, as I have posted elsewhere, I have lost the battle with the Boss and we are having a new wood floor fitted this week. Mind you, I got to choose the wood, and she's paying, so not all bad! (American Black Walnut in case your interested - fantastic grain, although it will darken the room quite dramatically, I suspect.)

Anyway, I digress, as usual. So, in preparation, the room has been partially cleared, and I've taken down all the hifi, and just left myself with CD Player, amp and speakers to tide me over until the room needs to be totally cleared for ceiling painting tomorrow night. Spinning a few tunes, but my goodness it sounds rubbish - well, compared to how it did at any rate - "thin and narrow" is probably the best description. Now, this can really only be down to 2 things - lack of Caiman, and/or lack of Pure-AV PF30 mains thingy. My guess is its the Caiman, as I didn't notice much of an improvement with the mains filtering, as a newish house with good wiring.

I think I am going to have to go and retrieve and reinstall the Caiman just to see if it really does make such a big difference, or if its psychological... Interesting though - sometimes you have to go backwards to see how far forwards you've gone, if that makes any sense.

MartinT
22-02-2011, 23:25
If I had to shrink down dramatically, my Caiman would remain in my arsenal of must-haves. A life saver.

Alex_UK
22-02-2011, 23:46
Caiman back in situ - not that I had any doubt, but if there was even a hint that the Caiman does not make a MASSIVE difference then I've just dispelled that myth for myself. Interesting experiment, though - you get so used to something without really realising how much of an improvement it was until you go back - I know a few people have suggested this is a good way to evaluate a change to see if it actually is an improvement, once the enthusiasm and possible placebo effect has had a chance to wear off - makes sense to do it, if you can be arsed to pull your system to bits again!

2 more things to try when I put it all back together - some of the Belkin interconnects, and I also want to reconnect my Audiolab 8000S as a power amp only, with the Creek as a pre, to see if that makes any difference. In theory the Creek is more powerful, (85W vs 65W RMS from memory) but separating the two duties might just make an improvement. We shall see.

Alex_UK
27-02-2011, 14:09
New floor fitted, decorated and new decor:

Hifi changes are purely the feet on the speakers (http://theartofsound.net/forum/showpost.php?p=192147&postcount=29) and I am trying my Audiolab 8000S in Power Amp mode with the Creek as a pre.

http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu259/Alex_Steel1969/Living%20Room/IMG_4469.jpg?t=1298815658

http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu259/Alex_Steel1969/Living%20Room/IMG_4475.jpg?t=1298815440

http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu259/Alex_Steel1969/Living%20Room/IMG_4477.jpg?t=1298815440

http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu259/Alex_Steel1969/Living%20Room/IMG_4472.jpg?t=1298815766

http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu259/Alex_Steel1969/Living%20Room/IMG_4480.jpg?t=1298815601

Macca
27-02-2011, 14:14
Like the new floor Alex - very classy

Jac Hawk
27-02-2011, 14:29
very nice mate, no dust, scatter cushions, photo's on display and cables all neat and tidy. Looks like it's had a womans touch:eyebrows: are you sure your name isn't Alexandra:lolsign:

MartinT
27-02-2011, 14:52
Nice room, Alex. Just don't let the TV in the corner win :)

Alex_UK
27-02-2011, 15:08
Thanks chaps! I've managed to shove the TV even further into the corner Martin and I don't think she's noticed!

You're right Mike - I took a bit of persuading on the flowers, but otherwise a joint effort on choosing colours etc.

Beechwoods
27-02-2011, 15:11
I like that floor too! Nice one Alex. Glad you've been able to find a happy point where everything works for everyone!

Rare Bird
27-02-2011, 16:29
You wanna flat telly on the wall below where that big picture is, real waste of space those big floor telly's. Just look how Martin T has his telly may give you an idea.

Tim
27-02-2011, 16:50
Alex, just invite me and a few mates round - we will soon mess that up for you ;)

I like that floor - when I get round to it, I will put some gallery pictures up.

Alex_UK
28-02-2011, 00:14
You wanna flat telly on the wall below where that big picture is, real waste of space those big floor telly's. Just look how Martin T has his telly may give you an idea.

We toyed with that idea on this makeover, but if I do it, my plan is to build a false wall between where the speakers are, about 6" into the room, but with some kind of hidden access to cables etc, with a bigger screen on it, and hidden mood lighting behind - not enough time or money at the moment! However, the way we have the room at the moment it s better in the corner as easier for everyone to see from both sofas. We shall see - new sofas next (the big one doesn't look too bad in the pictures but the coating is coming off the leather in lots of places and the seats are sagging a bit, plus a 5" split in one of the arms. And if there's ever any money left, replacement speakers - though that may nearly be sorted... Should know tomorrow. :)

Alex_UK
28-02-2011, 00:15
Alex, just invite me and a few mates round - we will soon mess that up for you ;)

I like that floor - when I get round to it, I will put some gallery pictures up.

Bit of a trip, but if you're ever up this way give us a shout! :)

Reid Malenfant
28-02-2011, 16:23
Great looking room Alex, i also like the look of that wooden flooring :)

<snip> new sofas next (the big one doesn't look too bad in the pictures but the coating is coming off the leather in lots of places and the seats are sagging a bit, plus a 5" split in one of the arms.
I don't feel too bad about you popping in here for a listen to the stereo now :D I need a new chair a bit desperately, mine has a couple of splits in it to as well as the whole thing is stuffed full of newspapers etc due to the springs going :eyebrows:

No i don't weigh 20 stone before someone asks, i don't weigh more either :eyebrows:

Marco
28-02-2011, 18:55
Due to the "springs going"? Interesting...

I can't think what you must be doing to make that happen, but there's a certain coital position, perhaps, which may explain it, although I doubt rubber dolls are that heavy! :lol:

;)

Marco.

Reid Malenfant
28-02-2011, 18:58
:D You have a dirty mind Marco, either that or that 3 words thread has corrupted you :eyebrows:

Marco
28-02-2011, 19:01
More frisky than dirty :eyebrows:

I'm sure Alex won't mind this thread drift! :flasher:

Marco.

Alex_UK
28-02-2011, 19:26
More frisky than dirty :eyebrows:

I'm sure Alex won't mind this thread drift! :flasher:

Marco.

he he - post #69 in my thread!

Alex_UK
28-02-2011, 22:16
Anyway, back to the hifi... ;)

I put the system back together, and as planned, included my Audiolab 8000S in power amp mode, with the Creek Evolution acting as a pre. I had also been trying this combination whilst my system was camping in the dining room.

Well, to cut a long story short, I've gone back to the Creek as an integrated. I also tried bi-amping with the 8000S on both the LF & HF, but in the end, I preferred the straight Creek integrated. (The main difference is that the soundstage seemed to be wider, and overall clarity of instruments, particularly in the treble was sharper and more defined.) I'm not necessarily saying the Creek is better than the Audiolab - in fact I think as much as anything, I have got used to the Creek sound, after 15 years of the Audiolab sound.

I was using one of the Belkin interconnects from Creek to Audiolab, but didn't really compare it to anything else. It certainly seemed to do a fine job for £3.99!

Some possible news on the speaker front - but I'll save that for my speaker thread, updated pictures to follow here when (if) it happens...

Alex_UK
17-03-2011, 21:59
Some possible news on the speaker front - but I'll save that for my speaker thread, updated pictures to follow here when (if) it happens...

:)

Just to keep this thread up to date: The Spendor SP1's in pride of place. Not a great photo - will have to some more in decent light sometime:

http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu259/Alex_Steel1969/hifi/IMG_4509.jpg?t=1299863159

http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu259/Alex_Steel1969/hifi/IMG_4518.jpg?t=1299863159

MartinT
18-03-2011, 07:12
Very nice, Alex. They look to be in good condition. How do they sound?

John
18-03-2011, 07:24
I think it looks elegent Alex I think the wife will start to like them soon, but you must be just going through hearing all your music and hearing new details and taking you deeper into the music which is what a good system is all about

Alex_UK
18-03-2011, 07:44
Very nice, Alex. They look to be in good condition. How do they sound?

Thanks Martin - yes, they are in tip-top nick - a few little marks here and there but you have to look really hard.

If you don't lose the will to live when you see the length of the post, you can read my summary of how they sound here (http://theartofsound.net/forum/showpost.php?p=197507&postcount=139) - but in a nutshell - superb - they have completely transformed my system to the point I now realise I didn't have a "hi-fi" before! A bit of an epiphany.

MartinT
18-03-2011, 08:33
Thanks, and a good read. Goes to show how well those speakers were made and how deserved their reputation.

John
18-03-2011, 09:48
In no time you be talking like Margetcarpet Alex Lol

Alex_UK
18-03-2011, 10:03

:lol: I did by best NOT to mention "Night & Day", "Like a veil being lifted", "Blacker blacks" etc.!

MartinT
18-03-2011, 13:13
I am guilty of saying 'blacker blacks' (it does describe a certain characteristic very well) but never 'night and day' :)

John
18-03-2011, 14:41
I have done night and day in the past

Jonboy
18-03-2011, 14:48

:lolsign:

Glad you are enjoying yourself Alex, i feel a valve amp coming soon

Marco
18-03-2011, 16:43
Personally, I think the old classics like 'an open window onto the music' and 'music suddenly snaps into focus' take some beating! :eyebrows:

Glad you're enjoying the SP1s, dude :)

Basically, they're 'proper' speakers (just like the Celestions you heard at Scalford, although with their own unique musical signature), which were voiced in the days when people knew how music was supposed to sound.

Sadly, that's an art largely lost these days, where computers and rigid sets of measurements significantly control the final results obtained with today's loudspeaker designs, and you can hear exactly what wrong with the results that methodology produces when you've got an excellent benchmark for musical accuracy to hand from which to judge, such as original SP1s!

Marco.

DSJR
18-03-2011, 16:54
Sadly, that's an art largely lost these days, where computers and rigid sets of measurements largely control the final results obtained with today's loudspeaker designs, and you can hear exactly what wrong with that methodology, when you've got an excellent benchmark for musical accuracy such as original SP1s!

Marco.

I have to disagree with you here marco, as I think the knowledge is alive and kicking in those-that-know these things.

With respect, I'd suggest that it's commercial concerns - ie profit and also fashion (slim tall columns with honky organ-pipe style bass) which now dictates the main market. Why improve the B&W 600 series when what you really want to do is push the punter up to the blingier CM series, which probably doesn't cost hugely more to make, but looks posher and commands a much higher price-point.

Where I think we'll both agree, is that the BBC Legacy is still alive and well in both Spendor and Harbeth and there are plenty more speakers out there which do a good job but maybe not at peanuts prices new..... You guys really MUST get to hear some HL P3ESR's, as they do an incredible disappearing act and show the designer's art at its very best I reckon. They may seem expensive for "just" a 5" two-way, but the pride in ownership and long-term satisfaction achievable from these and their predecessors is second to none and very few ever come on the used market (old Spendors too).

Marco
18-03-2011, 17:06
Hi Dave,

I have to disagree with you here marco, as I think the knowledge is alive and kicking in those-that-know these things.

I don't disagree (in some cases), but sadly that knowledge isn't being used as widely as it should be, and instead is stifled by the demands of commerciality, which has resulted in the market becoming flooded with squawk boxes and so-so designs that fail to engage one emotively in music like good vintage designs can.

I'm afraid that's the reality!

We need to get back to basics and voice loudspeakers and equipment more by ear (note I said "more", not solely) to allow us to maximise on advantages of modern technology, and stop chasing unobtainable goals fueled by an obssession with achieving 'perfect measurements'.

Marco.

Rare Bird
18-03-2011, 17:49
If they voiced modern speakers to sound like oldies the companies wouldnt sell them & thats the most important thing! shame really that theirs so many def people in the world.

MartinT
18-03-2011, 18:59
The BBC ditching their world-renowned R&D department was a trajedy. From the superb LS3/5a upwards, they really did know how to voice speakers which just improved as the rest of the system improved.

Marco
18-03-2011, 19:07
The BBC ditching their world-renowned R&D department was a trajedy.

Indeed, Martin. And why do you think that happened?

Marco.

MartinT
18-03-2011, 20:10
Dumbing down. Spreading themselves too thin. New technologies. Possibly all of the above.

BTH K10A
18-03-2011, 22:07
Alex, Great speakers arn't they. I had a pair before moving onto Rogers studio 1a's.

I don't know about you but I found the grills were a pair to reemove easily and ended up putting some little tags on the side to aid removal.

I assume you've got the early ones with the alnico magnets on the bass drivers. If so be careful not to drive them too hard as it doesn't take much to burn out the voice coils in them. Which is precisely what the next owner of mine did and why there's a spate of frenzied bidding whenever drivers crop up on ebay.

I used valve amps with them which is a safe option.

Andy

Alex_UK
18-03-2011, 22:14
Alex, Great speakers arn't they. I had a pair before moving onto Rogers studio 1a's.

I don't know about you but I found the grills were a pair to reemove easily and ended up putting some little tags on the side to aid removal.

I assume you've got the early ones with the alnico magnets on the bass drivers. If so be careful not to drive them too hard as it doesn't take much to burn out the voice coils in them. Which is precisely what the next owner of mine did and why there's a spate of frenzied bidding whenever drivers crop up on ebay.

I used valve amps with them which is a safe option.

Andy

Hi Andy, great advice, very much appreciated. A steel rule helps with the grill removal, but to be honest, I've not bothered more than a couple of times as they sound so fine with them in place anyway!

I haven't given them too much of a caning, as not really my thing to be honest as my ears give up long before the speakers do, usually! But yes, they are the early ones, so I will be careful not to over-drive them. You're now the second person to mention valve amps... That new Croft integrated looks appealing... :eyebrows:

Thanks again. :)

Welder
19-03-2011, 08:55
Looking good Alex, wish my speakers looked nice looking at yours ;)

If you do get a full blown dose of audiophilia and decide to go looking for valve amps do check out the Eastern Electric M520 Integrated.
I’m not a valve amp enthusiast usually, not that the expensive ones don’t sound really nice, but at under £2000 new this sounds pretty good to me.

DSJR
19-03-2011, 09:21
The good thing about SP1's is that the load is mostly good for most amps. For these, I'd suggest something with loads of atmosphere but with a bit of a "push" behind it. First choice for me and almost affordable is the Croft Series 7 and possibly the R version with its extra supplies. The Rega Elicit may just do the business too (sorry LFD, I don't know your current range, but found the integrated from two years ago a bit too straight-laced - apparently this is better now) and there might be a Sugden as well that's not too soft toned..

kt66
21-03-2011, 19:52
Thanks for looking!

Alex

hey - don't knock the Rotel RQ970 - one of HIFIs best secrets

s1977
17-04-2011, 16:35
Alex

Your system looks great.... I remember a time when I had an absolutely weird setup with speakers anchored off walls...thankfully those days have gone...some adjustments have to be made......as I see in your case....As long as you are in the sweet spot, thats fine then....

BTW, that profile photo of yours makes me smile everytime....I am blessed with two such monsters at home ;) full of energy and endless fun....bless them...

regards
Sush

Alex_UK
17-04-2011, 19:26
Thanks Sush - getting there slowly, and the Spendors have been a revelation.

Cheers for the kind words about the avatar - I change it reasonably regularly so whether people like it or not they will also see her grow up! I guess there'll come a time when I'll have to go with something else (can't imagine she'll like being an avatar on a hi-fi forum at 14!) but still plenty of time! :)

Rare Bird
17-04-2011, 19:50
Gis a look at the RAM 150's Alex i much prefer them as you know

Alex_UK
17-04-2011, 19:55
I'll try and set them up tomorrow Andre - just for you. :)

Toby
17-04-2011, 22:13
I know I should be more interested in the nice gear you own but as im currently decorating up the living room my eye is wandering over to the colour scheme in your room :), I like the whole pastel theme, works nicely & the speakers really add contrast.

Oh & a nice set up you have there too ;)

Alex_UK
17-04-2011, 22:30
Thanks Toby - that's why I joke about wanting to see people's curtains! ;) I'm not really here for any hifi interests... :lol:

Rare Bird
19-04-2011, 12:31
I'll try and set them up tomorrow Andre - just for you. :)

:popcorn:

DSJR
19-04-2011, 19:03
Hi Andy, great advice, very much appreciated. A steel rule helps with the grill removal, but to be honest, I've not bothered more than a couple of times as they sound so fine with them in place anyway!

I haven't given them too much of a caning, as not really my thing to be honest as my ears give up long before the speakers do, usually! But yes, they are the early ones, so I will be careful not to over-drive them. You're now the second person to mention valve amps... That new Croft integrated looks appealing... :eyebrows:

Thanks again. :)

Alex, very late reply, but these are SP1's, NOT BC1's, so come as standard with BC2 style large voice-coils, ceramic magnets which don't change over the years as alnico ones can and do and a FAR better bass than Bc1's ever managed..

Alex_UK
19-04-2011, 20:09
:popcorn:

Sorry buddy - work sh!t got in the way - but I promise it will happen - sometime! :)

Alex_UK
19-04-2011, 20:12
Alex, very late reply, but these are SP1's, NOT BC1's, so come as standard with BC2 style large voice-coils, ceramic magnets which don't change over the years as alnico ones can and do and a FAR better bass than Bc1's ever managed..

Thanks Dave. :) Another pair went for £500 on eBay last week, not as good nick as mine, so I'm even more pleased with them knowing I got a half-price bargain! Tomorrow will be interesting, of course... :)

Reid Malenfant
19-04-2011, 20:16
not as good nick ass mine
4298 :lolsign:

Alex_UK
19-04-2011, 20:29
Damn, thought I'd got away with that! :lol:

Rare Bird
19-04-2011, 20:41
Sorry buddy - work sh!t got in the way - but I promise it will happen - sometime! :)

:(

DSJR
19-04-2011, 22:09
Thanks Dave. :) Another pair went for £500 on eBay last week, not as good nick as mine, so I'm even more pleased with them knowing I got a half-price bargain! Tomorrow will be interesting, of course... :)

£500? All your fault for bigging them up ;)

I'd better get some shut-eye. Hope tommorow lives up to expectations for you :cool:

synsei
07-02-2012, 03:13
Hi Alex,

I notice that you have your system located on a rack in the corner of your room, does your TT suffer at all from resonance problems in this location?

The reason I ask is that I have always tried to avoid placing my TT's in corners as they tend to amplify low frequencies which I assume would have a detrimental effect on sound reproduction. This is why my system lives about three and a half feet from a corner with the TT shelf located above the rack. Due to the acoustics of my room there is a drop off at low frequencies in this position. To achieve this I had to compromise by mounting the TT shelf to an internal wall, which is far from ideal.

If you're not having issues I might rethink my approach as it would allow me to relocate the TT shelf to an outside and very rigid wall. One slight concern I have is that it would bring the Technics in very close proximity to one of the DM2's which again isn't an ideal situation. Below is a pic which represents my current layout although it isn't recent, there's a an SL1210 sitting above where the Thorens is located in this pic on the TT shelf :D The plan is to relocate the system to where the the record cabinet is situated. Another option would be to place it where the Hafler is positioned in the photo, to the left of the DM2. This is doable but the sun streams right in through that window during summer afternoons and it might not be the wisest move to have a TT near window height under those conditions. Any thoughts? ;)

http://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/af316/Sgtgrash/Hifi%20Stuff/DM2onnewstand.jpg

Alex_UK
07-02-2012, 09:28
I notice that you have your system located on a rack in the corner of your room, does your TT suffer at all from resonance problems in this location?

Hi Dave - to be honest, I've never noticed it with the Garrard/SME3009 - though at loud volumes things have occasionally got a bit messy with my Pro-Ject before - but to be honest I never play music loud enough to really worry about it.

synsei
07-02-2012, 21:46
I don't get to turn the wick up that often either Alex so it might be worth the gamble. The DM2 cabs are really solid and the transmission line port exits to the bottom, front of the cabinet so I might just get away with moving everything into the corner :)

Alex_UK
07-02-2012, 21:48
That's kind of been my theory - my speakers are well forward of the TT and firing away from it.

The Black Adder
08-02-2012, 10:26
Alex mate, thats top.

You need to get in to Ideal Homes.. :)

synsei
08-02-2012, 10:58
+1 :D

Agreed Joe, I doubt my room would even get a mention in Cowboy Decorators Weekly :lol:

Alex_UK
07-05-2013, 21:01
I mentioned my "outdoor" system in other threads, so thought it about time I posted some pics:

First off, it has its own dedicated Consumer unit and earth rod, with an armoured cable taking the power from the main supply. Weatherproof MK plugs and lighting.

This is the "business end - all "pishanto" purloined at silly prices or free - the Technics CD player was given me a couple of months ago by a neighbour who knew I was into my hifi... I have no idea how he knew - I've never spoken to him about it? :scratch: :lol:

http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu259/Alex_Steel1969/hifi/IMG_0082a_zpsc87d71a8.jpg

The Sony tuner I bought about 15 years ago from Currys - it was wrongly priced at £35, so I couldn't resist! The Aura VA-50 amp is lovely - I always wanted a chrome one, but when this came on ebay I couldn't resist (again!) - about £70 I think. The laptop is the ever reliable IBM ThinkPad T42 - brilliant bits of kit even though it must be 10 years old, and with XP runs fine. Media Center 18 or Spotify into a Fiio E7 USB DAC/Headphone amp - sounds far better than it has any right to! Of course the main component you can just see to the left of the hifi - the beer fridge! Too temping when I work from home as I use the summerhouse as my office if it is warm enough!

http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu259/Alex_Steel1969/hifi/IMG_0083a_zps79f3ac3d.jpg

And this is tonight's "sunset listening position" - the sun sets to my right, so I can see it dipping behind the trees and choose my soundtrack. :) The summerhouse is about 50 feet away from the house, so plenty of space to allow me to listen at higher levels than I could indoors which would wake the nippers. When I want to listen inside the "man cave" I just whizz the speakers inside, and have a "quick change"way to reverse the channels on an extended RCA cable with female connectors on one end easily accessible.

http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu259/Alex_Steel1969/hifi/IMG_0084a_zpsc9d34193.jpg

The speakers are Kef Coda 9 - bought new 17 years ago - and boy are these good - really! If you ever see a pair or their smaller siblings (the 8s or 7s) then snap them up! They're flimsy as hell, made from very thin MDF, a nice "black vinyl wrap" and plastic baffles... so not the most attractive of speakers but very much more than the sum of their parts. The 9s have a downward firing woofer and rear port in the lower half, so not just a bookshelf speaker stuck on an empty box like a lot of floorstanders and the bass is superb, but does not overshadow the mid or treble.

Sometimes I think this is my best system - mainly because if I'm using it then the weather is nice, we've probably got the BBQ going and friends or family round, and it is all about having fun and enjoying good music. :)

Upgrades? Lilac curtains to match the rug and cushions of course, and more beer for the fridge! ;)

MartinT
07-05-2013, 21:58
Not green curtains to match the carpet, err grass?

Nice cheap as chips system, Alex, I'd expect nothing less from the 'master' :)

Alex_UK
07-05-2013, 22:05
Thanks Martin, you're too kind! (I think the green carpet is getting a bit threadbare in the corner, though! I hadn't really noticed until I took the photo.)

Audio Al
08-05-2013, 04:48
"business end - all "pishanto"

Did someone say PISHANTO :D

Nice away from it all location , How do the people next door like it :eyebrows:

Rothchild
08-05-2013, 06:48
Nice one.

I should imagine that the relative lack of early reflections and the generous 'room' proportions would mean there aren't any problems with room modes etc.

Have you noticed any difference to low end if you run the rig with the doors shut or to the image if you bring the speaker right to the edge of the decking (so there's no reflective surface in front of them)?

The Grand Wazoo
08-05-2013, 07:04
I've found in such situations that a bed of cabbages makes a great bass trap.

Marco
08-05-2013, 08:11
Respect, Alex - that's quality! :respect:

Marco.

Alex_UK
08-05-2013, 08:18
Have you noticed any difference to low end if you run the rig with the doors shut or to the image if you bring the speaker right to the edge of the decking (so there's no reflective surface in front of them)?

Not really tried with the doors shut, although I have plonked them right at the edge - made a small difference, but not sure it was better or worse! I'll try again next time it's sunny - raining this morning, so inside system for me today. :(

Alex_UK
08-05-2013, 08:21
Did someone say PISHANTO :D

Nice away from it all location , How do the people next door like it :eyebrows:

Cheers Al - luckily the house behind is about the same distance away from the summerhouse as we are, and as we are on a corner there's no house next door, until you get across the road and must be 100ft to those. I have put it up reasonably loud and had a walk around to mkae sure it isn't too intrusive, which at reasonable volumes it isn't. No one's complained or called the police - yet! :eyebrows:

Alex_UK
08-05-2013, 08:23
I've found in such situations that a bed of cabbages makes a great bass trap.

You could be onto something there!

Respect, Alex - that's quality! :respect:

Cheers Marco :) Has to be done!

DSJR
08-05-2013, 11:33
Having heard this setup with speakers facing in towards the summerhouse (no pics of the "man fridge" down there either ;) ) I can vouch for the great sound-for-peanuts Alex is getting down here in the garden. Those old Coda 7, 8 and 9 are built from little more than cardboard and thin plastic, but for whatever reason, the sound quality totally transcends this, being honest and pleasantly warm toned, rather than shrill as bigger KEFs could be or boomy as the cheapo Tannoy M series was at the time..

Tim
08-05-2013, 16:30
Nice man-cave Alex, if you haven't moved by then, perhaps I can lighten that beer load in the fridge when I move to Suffolk in a couple of years. ;)

Alex_UK
08-05-2013, 17:00
You would be most welcome to do that buddy! :) (No plans to move at the moment, are you really planning on coming to East Angular?)

Tim
08-05-2013, 17:03
(No plans to move at the moment, are you really planning on coming to East Angular?)
Yes, when I retire, somewhere near Stowmarket - might be delayed a few years if I go back to the Caymans for a spell, but only planning on a max of 2 years there, so within 5 years I should be there, possibly a lot less.

Alex_UK
08-05-2013, 17:17
within 5 years I should be there, possibly a lot less.

Excellent - look forward to that! :)

DanJennings
08-05-2013, 17:33
Wow, I'm really jealous, I'd love to have something like that!

Tim
08-05-2013, 18:06
Every male music lovers dream I reckon, a beer stocked music man cave - what's not to like :D

Alex_UK
08-05-2013, 18:11

The original idea was a Wendy house for the kids... I tweaked the design, a little... :o

That said, they love being in there too, and my rationale was that a Wendy house will be useless to them in about 4 years, whereas this should hopefully be an extra room we can all use for years to come. Just waiting for the day when I find them pissed after they've raided the beer fridge! :lol:

Tim
08-05-2013, 19:18
Just waiting for the day when I find them pissed after they've raided the beer fridge! :lol:
As long as that's all you find them doing in there (your daughter I mean) ;)

Alex_UK
08-05-2013, 19:19
As long as that's all you find them doing in there (your daughter I mean) ;)

Don't think that thought hasn't crossed my mind already! :lol:

Tim
08-05-2013, 19:31
Just keep a shotgun and a nasty scowl handy by the back door!

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/250x250/36994337.jpg

Barry
08-05-2013, 19:37
Honi soit qui mal y pense! They might be there to simply enjoy the music (and the Lilac curtains!)

Alex_UK
08-05-2013, 19:43
Honi soit qui mal y pense! They might be there to simply enjoy the music (and the Lilac curtains!)

That's the motto for the "Order of the Garter" isn't it Barry? Fancy underwear isn't going to help, even if it's lilac! :eek:

http://www.allurie.com/img/p/5060-7470-large.jpg

Barry
08-05-2013, 20:00
Haha! I'm sure you know it is Norman french for "Evil to him who evil thinks".

However it is a sufficient excuse to show some lilac lingerie being modeled by a good looking lass!

Marco
09-05-2013, 06:14
http://www.allurie.com/img/p/5060-7470-large.jpg

Linky no worky..... I wanna see da panteez! :D

Marco.

Alex_UK
09-05-2013, 21:05
Linky no worky..... I wanna see da panteez! :D

Marco.

Really? Does this one work? :)

http://blog.lingerieplease.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Romantic-Desire-Smokey-Lilac.jpg

keiths
10-05-2013, 00:27
Pictures working (on every level :drool:) here :)

synsei
10-05-2013, 08:49

http://blog.lingerieplease.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Romantic-Desire-Smokey-Lilac.jpg

Damn you Alex, my knees are on fire now... :lol:

Marco
11-05-2013, 20:31

Yesh, working now... However, I agree with Andre's (now deleted) comment! ;)

Marco.

Alex_UK
11-05-2013, 20:50
Yesh, working now... However, I agree with Andre's (now deleted) comment! ;)

Marco.

Something akin to "a couple of fried eggs on an ironing board" I suspect! :lol:

Marco
11-05-2013, 20:53
Lol - your mod powers will reveal all!

Marco.