PDA

View Full Version : Is this a HiFi/Music forum or one solely dedicated to vintage gear?

synsei
28-01-2015, 18:38
I pose this question in light of a recent exchange I observed in a laptop sales thread and as such I think some clarification is needed from the leadership.

We all have our preferences regarding the equipment and methods we individually employ to produce music from our speakers, so when I read this exchange, where one of the parties reticence towards modern technology so obviously coloured his replies, it left me wondering whether AoS is actually the place I should be pitching my tent... :(

Mr Kipling
28-01-2015, 18:53

Barry
28-01-2015, 19:04
Everybody knows the only true way of reproducing music in a domestic environment is to use mechanical reproduction and eschew any new-fangled electrical reproducer!

Wind up gramophones rule. :lol:

struth
28-01-2015, 19:10
This has wound me right up http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/540/hbqvBO.jpg

RichB
28-01-2015, 19:17
I pose this question in light of a recent exchange I observed in a laptop sales thread and as such I think some clarification is needed from the leadership.

We all have our preferences regarding the equipment and methods we individually employ to produce music from our speakers, so when I read this exchange, where one of the parties reticence towards modern technology so obviously coloured his replies, it left me wondering whether AoS is actually the place I should be pitching my tent... :(

I dunno Dave, I think we're still one of the more progressive forums out there when it comes to all forms of musical reproduction.

It was digital audio that brought me here to start with and we've got plenty knowledge amongst us when it comes to that.

Having said that I sometimes check in at computer audiophile but sometimes feel a bit of a old fogey there.

Mr Kipling
28-01-2015, 19:23
And surely (surely?), everyone knows the computor is nothing more than The Devil's Instrument.

Actually, I did think Mr M. had taken a bit of a wobbler. I thought it was supposed to be a community? Surely, in a community you have some that might have something they have no great need of and would like to offer it to the community to benefit someone?

I can only hope the crushed-velvet (purple) pantaloons I have, might just benefit someone.

Marco
28-01-2015, 19:24
Everybody knows the only true way of reproducing music in a domestic environment is to use mechanical reproduction and eschew any new-fangled electrical reproducer!

Wind up gramophones rule. :lol:

Lol… :eyebrows:

Dave, the answer to your question should be obvious, judging by how popular the digital section of the forum is, as well as other areas (such as the DIY room) where the subject of computer audio often crops up.

The exchange you witnessed recently in Private Exhibitions occurred simply because, much as I recognise and accept that computers are part of the enthusiast audio scene these days, the mod team and I don’t wish to see the classifieds section of the forum clogged up with sales of phones and laptops.

If that area of the site is allowed to become a haven for sales of computer-related paraphernalia, then what’s to stop folk, who aren't even into hi-fi, joining AoS simply to sell their old laptops or phones (remember how many new members joining find us from Google searches, which bring up gear for sale in Private Exhibitions) - and then what will we be left with?

If we allow that to happen, we’re potentially opening up a big can of worms, and furthermore, exposing ourselves to a world of potential nightmares, in terms of moderating and managing unwanted/unauthorised ads.

The bottom line is that it would simply be impossible to differentiate between sales of genuine ‘computer audio’, by audio enthusiasts, from sales of general computer paraphernalia, by 'Tom, Dick or Harry’, especially if those advertising it were unknown and new to AoS - and I will not have our advertising facilities, or the forum itself, misused in that way.

Therefore, we’ve come to decision on the matter, and it is this:

Sales of laptops/tablets/drives or phones will be allowed, but solely after permission has been sought [and granted] by either a member of the mod team or me, via a request by PM. That should weed out folk just coming here to sell stuff and save on ebay fees.

However, permission for such will be granted only to trusted members who regularly use the forum and contribute constructively to discussions, which in turn will act as a reward for them helping build our community.

An official announcement on this matter will be made in due course :)

Marco.

struth
28-01-2015, 19:31
And surely (surely?), everyone knows the computor is nothing more than The Devil's Instrument.

Actually, I did think Mr M. had taken a bit of a wobbler. I thought it was supposed to be a community? Surely, in a community you have some that might have something they have no great need of and would like to offer it to the community to benefit someone?

I can only hope the crushed-velvet (purple) pantaloons I have, might just benefit someone.

only if they have those nice silver button fly https://img0.etsystatic.com/050/2/9611438/il_340x270.670543066_paeg.jpg :eyebrows: these are no good!!

Marco
28-01-2015, 19:39
Yeah, you need something that provides quick access to your little ‘foo-foo’…. :D

Marco.

struth
28-01-2015, 23:29
Yeah, you need something that provides quick access to your little ‘foo-foo’…. :D

Marco.

Deffo at my age in this cold weather...........rapid deployment is a must:eyebrows:

synsei
29-01-2015, 00:16
Lol… :eyebrows:

Dave, the answer to your question should be obvious, judging by how popular the digital section of the forum is, as well as other areas (such as the DIY room) where the subject of computer audio often crops up.

The exchange you witnessed recently in Private Exhibitions occurred simply because, much as I recognise and accept that computers are part of the enthusiast audio scene these days, the mod team and I don’t wish to see the classifieds section of the forum clogged up with sales of phones and laptops.

If that area of the site is allowed to become a haven for sales of computer-related paraphernalia, then what’s to stop folk, who aren't even into hi-fi, joining AoS simply to sell their old laptops or phones (remember how many new members joining find us from Google searches, which bring up gear for sale in Private Exhibitions) - and then what will we be left with?

If we allow that to happen, we’re potentially opening up a big can of worms, and furthermore, exposing ourselves to a world of potential nightmares, in terms of moderating and managing unwanted/unauthorised ads.

The bottom line is that it would simply be impossible to differentiate between sales of genuine ‘computer audio’, by audio enthusiasts, from sales of general computer paraphernalia, by 'Tom, Dick or Harry’, especially if those advertising it were unknown and new to AoS - and I will not have our advertising facilities, or the forum itself, misused in that way.

Therefore, we’ve come to decision on the matter, and it is this:

Sales of laptops/tablets/drives or phones will be allowed, but solely after permission has been sought [and granted] by either a member of the mod team or me, via a request by PM. That should weed out folk just coming here to sell stuff and save on ebay fees.

However, permission for such will be granted only to trusted members who regularly use the forum and contribute constructively to discussions, which in turn will act as a reward for them helping build our community.

An official announcement on this matter will be made in due course :)

Marco.

It was your heavy handed treatment of James, who is the most decent and inoffensive of fellows, which really put my back up. Pissed off you may be about the situation but in no way did he deserve what he got. It's a moot point now anyhow as he has left for pastures new and frankly I don't blame him. There are enough rules and regs on this forum to make Kim Jong Un proud... :eyebrows:

Marco
29-01-2015, 07:20
Well, I apologised for being curt with James, if you remember. We’re all only human, and so sometimes get it wrong. If he wants to come back later, it’s his decision, and he’s free to do so.

It’s all very well sitting on the sidelines criticising, Dave, but sometimes it's frustrating when things don’t run as smoothly as you’d like on a large forum such as this, when many things are happening (much of which you won’t know about), and you’re juggling between attending to various different matters.

When you were a moderator here, you made your fair share of ‘bloopers' (which you yourself admitted to), so perhaps instead of sitting back smugly judging and criticising others, you could empathise a little with those that run the site, especially as you have a (UFO) forum of your own? All you seem to do these days is moan.

Marco.

Mr Kipling
29-01-2015, 19:30
Well, I have to say I'm both saddened and disappointed at Jame's departure. The forum will be a poorer place for it. Not only was he helpful and a valuable source of information, he also made available numerous items of equipment at really modest cost.

I don't know…

BTH K10A
30-01-2015, 06:13
In answer to the OP it is obviously a music forum first and foremost although I for one would much prefer it to be a vintage only forum :D

I think the laptop that is subject of this thread was just that, a laptop, nothing to do with hifi at all but the seller had become used to posting items for sale here and gave it no second thought as to whether it was appropriate.

One of the difficult issues for forum owners/administrators to deal with are the small minority who are effectively running small businesses through the private sales facilities of forums, treating them like ebay without the fees. Whilst they may only be supplementing income as opposed to a full tiime living, where do you draw the line between disposing of surplus equipment and trading.

Marco
30-01-2015, 08:00
Hi Andy,

That’s a very good point. You don’t post that often, mate, but when you do, it’s always something interesting and worthwhile reading! ;)

Whilst I’m sorry I shouted at James for selling his laptop (I’ve apologised now, and there’s nothing else I can do), I do feel that there was more to the sale than meets the eye, which you’ve touched upon above, and that is also suggested by his reaction since. It would certainly explain it.

He mentioned that he’d sold laptops (or related items) here four times recently, and that suggests more commercial activity than private.

I think the laptop that is subject of this thread was just that, a laptop, nothing to do with hifi at all but the seller had become used to posting items for sale here and gave it no second thought as to whether it was appropriate.

I have to agree, which goes back to the lack of courtesy (and proper protocol being followed) I referred to earlier, and what prompted my (albeit I admit excessively curt response to James), which I have since apologised for.

The sad thing is that if he’d asked for permission to sell the laptop (including those he’d advertised previously), then it would’ve almost certainly been given, especially as we’ve now agreed to allow long-standing members to sell such items, which James would’ve qualified as. Hey ho….

Marco.

Markiii
30-01-2015, 08:01
would it have been interesting and worthwhile if he hadn't stepped in on that particular side of the argument?

Marco
30-01-2015, 08:05
Yes, so what’s your point? The fact is, I think what Andy’s saying has some validity, and if it’s true, then I certainly don’t want the forum used in that way. AoS is not anyone’s free ebay shop!

Marco.

Audio Al
30-01-2015, 12:16
Can I advertise my Camper Van and Boat :)

They both have stereo systems fitted ,

The boat even has waterproof speakers that work in the rain , not sure if they work under water ( Yet ) :lol:...;)

Marco
30-01-2015, 12:25
Yes, since you’ve asked nicely! :cool:

Marco.

Ali Tait
30-01-2015, 12:35
Well I have to say, it's sad to see a long term member go. Never met the chap, but he was a decent bloke from what I can see, and repaired a lot of folks' gear gratis.

This place would be nothing without the people that come here.

Marco
30-01-2015, 12:50
I agree, Ali, but similarly, if folks want to be here, then they must abide by the rules, and most certainly not abuse our free advertising facilities. We’re not running an on-line group ‘love-in’!

The bottom line is that if you want to a part of AoS, and in turn this wonderful community, then there is a certain standard of behaviour required. We’re not here simply to pander to people’s (delicate) sensibilities.

On a wider issue, it’s important to remember that when you join an Internet forum, the idea is that YOU fit in with it, not that it fits in with you, and the sooner that some folk (and I’m not necessarily referring here to James) realise that, the better.

Think very carefully before you join any Internet forum, because by doing so you’re effectively signing up to and agreeing with the ethos/rules of that site - and if you don’t like them, or the personality of the forum owner, then don’t join that forum in the first place, otherwise things (sooner or later) are only liable to end one way...

On that note, I think that this discussion has run its course. There will be an announcement made shortly on what will and won’t be allowed to be advertised in future in the classifieds section.

Cheers! :cool:

Marco.