PDA

View Full Version : King Crimson 40th special editions with 5.1 dvd audio

chris@panteg
16-08-2009, 23:56
RED is the 1st to be released on 21st sept .

Court of the crimson king on the 12th oct .

It looks like Mr Fripp has done an amazing job with them

http://surroundablog.blogs.com/surroundablog/2009/07/king-crimson-40th-anniversary-editions.html

Spectral Morn
17-08-2009, 00:14
RED is the 1st to be released on 21st sept .

Court of the crimson king on the 12th oct .

It looks like Mr Fripp has done an amazing job with them

http://surroundablog.blogs.com/surroundablog/2009/07/king-crimson-40th-anniversary-editions.html

Bit odd releasing them on a dead format....SACD would have been a better choice IMHO. However I have a Toshiba SD 900E, so will add In The Court Of The Crimson King to my small DVDA collection. This is one of my fave albums and IMHO one of King Crimsons best albums. The HDCD version is very good too, if you have an HDCD decoder DAC or CD player.

Regards D S D L

PS is that Steven wilson of Porcupine Tree I wonder ? Their DVDA albums and normal CD's are very good musically and sonically, as are the No Man (Steven Wilson) albums.

John
17-08-2009, 05:05
Steve Wilson always does a great work so sure they will sound well

DSJR
17-08-2009, 08:34
Mr Fripp seems to be a pretty good "listener" too and I'm sure he's got the best out of the tapes that was possible to get. The first album wasn't too good and had loads of deliberately added distortion anyway.

Lizard was always a favourite, the recording quality always sounding good on LP and CD and I think most of the subsequent albums were good - I played "Discipline" on LP over the weekend and apart from a bit of gain-riding, it sounds better than I've heard it in years.

Neil, I still think that SA-CD is an excuse to further tweak the mastering in an attempt to get the sound better, rather than being a *better* format. The extra mush over 20KHz may help rather than hinder as well IMO. It's irrelevant now as this format seems to be dyeing a death.

chris@panteg
17-08-2009, 09:07
Its worth noting that Robert Fripp is well into his technology ' and probably chose DVDA as his preference , he will do things his way ' damn what anybody else says ' and yes it is the same Steve Wilson ' porcupine tree ' producer .

DanJennings
17-08-2009, 09:30
oh bollocks, another set of reissues to buy.

Spectral Morn
17-08-2009, 09:46
Mr Fripp seems to be a pretty good "listener" too and I'm sure he's got the best out of the tapes that was possible to get. The first album wasn't too good and had loads of deliberately added distortion anyway.

Lizard was always a favourite, the recording quality always sounding good on LP and CD and I think most of the subsequent albums were good - I played "Discipline" on LP over the weekend and apart from a bit of gain-riding, it sounds better than I've heard it in years.

Neil, I still think that SA-CD is an excuse to further tweak the mastering in an attempt to get the sound better, rather than being a *better* format. The extra mush over 20KHz may help rather than hinder as well IMO. It's irrelevant now as this format seems to be dyeing a death.

Hi Dave

Well aware of the + and - of SACD technology, but to my ears it sounds better than CD and has a less edgy sound than DVDA (which is also better than CD, but not as natural IMHO as SACD). Sadly both formats are sliding away, but DVDA has nearly gone and SACD hangs on at about the same level for last few years, but is not growing and probably slipping too. This is a shame as the Genesis SACD discs are fantastic IMHO.

Robert Fripp is a good guy in regard to sound quality mostly. All the 30 year CDs were HDCDs and are fantastic. Yes there is a bit of distortion on ITCOTCK, mainly on 2oth C S Man, but the overall album is fantastic IMHO especially via the HDCD decoding option.

I will buy a few of these or perhaps Christmas presents......Mrs D heres my list.

Regards D S D L

chris@panteg
17-08-2009, 09:46
Ah yes but just imagine if you will ' listening to One more red nightmare in loss less 5.1 dvd audio ;) it will make you feel better.

DSJR
17-08-2009, 10:28
Hi Dave

I will buy a few of these or perhaps Christmas presents......Mrs D heres my list.

Regards D S D L

Good idea guv'nor. I'll add a few to the rapidly growing Tangerine Dream list :( (Quality Mr Froese, not quantity please...)

I'm sure you also remember Mr Fripp saying that Dolby SR was his preferred recording format of choice, but as you cannot get this at home, CD digital would "have to do for now.." At least, if he now has the masters in as high a resolution as it's possible to get, then at least the recordings are there for any other high-def domestic formats/downloads.

I just hope that cheaper high-speed broadband and cheaper large volume ss storage will kill off MP3 as it won't be necessary any more (we can but hope eh?)

chris@panteg
09-11-2009, 13:16
I got Lizard in the post today CD/DVDA

It has a dizzying array of sound options

5.1 MLP lossless 24/96

5.1 dts

original mix in 24/96 and 24/48

Steve wilson mix in 24/96 and 24/48

and also the standard cd

It sounds quite breathtaking using my Yamaha system , its nice to have a DVDA to play with ' even though its a pretty dead format .

I will be ordering Red next 'will be very interesting to hear in 5.1 24 bit.

DSJR
09-11-2009, 13:54
The first time I EVER heard an LP12 was at Grahams. Jimmy Hughes conducting the dem, back in 1976. he used the opening bars of Lizard for the dem, comparing TD125 mk2/SME/Grace cart (I think) with LP12 with same model arm/cart. Naim 12/snaps/250 and Tangent RS4's completed the dem system. This was before the "rubber band & springy" set-up routine was finalised too.

The LP12 made much more sense of the reverb on the vocals and the voice appearing to come forward before the band starts to play. The tinkly keyboard seemed easier to follow too (following the tune).

I'd be interested to hear how the different digital formats on offer deal with this - do the higher res options of the original mix offer more "ease" in hearing into the mix as you'd have had on a good turntable dem in the "golden era?"

Rare Bird
09-11-2009, 14:18
I can tell you dave, the 'ITCOTCK' & 'Lizard' 40th anny CD's are superb, the air around the instruments is spectacular compared to the previous..The bonus material on 'ITCOTCK' is amazing also.I have the 2CD edition but still waiting for the 5CD,1 DVD box set to arrive. I'm praying to god Frippy releases the same in 40th in 'In The Wake Of Posidon' & 'Islands' albums

DSJR
09-11-2009, 16:33
I was told *at the time of release* that all they had of Islands was off a cassette, as the masters had "disappeared." Haven't a clue if this is correct, but having heard how good cassette recordings can be treated to bring them up to date, I wait with bated breath...

Themis
09-11-2009, 16:39
... I guess that "Larks" won't come out either, as it came out for the 30th anniversary. :(

Rare Bird
09-11-2009, 18:19
I was told *at the time of release* that all they had of Islands was off a cassette, as the masters had "disappeared." Haven't a clue if this is correct, but having heard how good cassette recordings can be treated to bring them up to date, I wait with bated breath...

There's a fault on 'Islands' has been evident on every CD issue upto yet..

Demitri:

'Lark's Tongues In Aspic' is nothing but noise..The begining of the end..

:lol:

Themis
09-11-2009, 18:58
'Lark's Tongues In Aspic' is nothing but noise..The begining of the end..

:lol:
[sensored by the good manners and the AoS Ethos] :ner:

Themis
09-11-2009, 19:02
And "In the wake of Poseidon" will come out ? Anyone knows ? Perhaps the 2000-remaster is final ?

Rare Bird
09-11-2009, 22:40
And "In the wake of Poseidon" will come out ? Anyone knows ?

Yes please..No word yet..

Rare Bird
20-11-2009, 14:47
Can i just say that the new 40th anniversary of King Crimson 'Lizard' is amazing i'm gobsmaked how good this edition is, the clarity surpasses the 30th anniversay edition, more air around the instruments, sound effect there not evedent before, i can even hear more into whats behind Jon Anderson vocals. Everything is Amazing.

The firt half of CD1 is 2009 mix taken from the original multitrack tapes. last half is cool bonus tracks, the disc 2 (DVD) has the original album in MLP/DTS surround which is 24bit/48 & 96kHz..aswell as the first disc bonus tracks in the same surround.

I'll never ever go back to the 2004 edition now.

Themis
20-11-2009, 17:49
Can i just say that the new 40th anniversary of King Crimson 'Lizard' is amazing i'm gobsmaked how good this edition is, the clarity surpasses the 30th anniversay edition, more air around the instruments, sound effect there not evedent before, i can even hear more into whats behind Jon Anderson vocals. Everything is Amazing.

The firt half of CD1 is 2009 mix taken from the original multitrack tapes. last half is cool bonus tracks, the disc 2 (DVD) has the original album in MLP/DTS surround which is 24bit/48 & 96kHz..aswell as the first disc bonus tracks in the same surround.

I'll never ever go back to the 2004 edition now.
Well said Andre, completely agree. ;)

chris@panteg
22-11-2009, 00:06
Hi Andre

I listened to the Steven Wilson mix , the other night in 24/96 mlp lossless 5.1 surround , just amazing really , you have to hand it to Fripp though ' no limiting or compression ' AFAIK , with all the 40th editions you get nice extras and they are well packaged .

To me this is how it should be done .

Rare Bird
22-11-2009, 00:17
Hi Andre

I listened to the Steven Wilson mix , the other night in 24/96 mlp lossless 5.1 surround , just amazing really , you have to hand it to Fripp though ' no limiting or compression ' AFAIK , with all the 40th editions you get nice extras and they are well packaged .

To me this is how it should be done .

O yes that is how CD's should be mastered..the whole set including the debut album set is purely top notch.

I'm just waiting for my show off 5 CD & 1DVD set of ITCOTCK

Alex_UK
22-11-2009, 08:06
I don't really know King Crimson that well - there's a "best of" but with this sort of music I tend to think you need whole albums - would ITCOTCK be a good place to start?

Themis
22-11-2009, 08:13
I don't really know King Crimson that well - there's a "best of" but with this sort of music I tend to think you need whole albums - would ITCOTCK be a good place to start?
It is the best place to start. ;)

Alex_UK
22-11-2009, 08:15
Cheers Dimitri!

REM
22-11-2009, 14:30
And the best place to finish as well;).

Alex_UK
22-11-2009, 16:24
We shall see Ralph - I guess you're not the one to offer it to if I hate it!

chris@panteg
22-11-2009, 20:10
KC are an aquired taste , no doubt ' but i love them and make no appologies for it .

Rare Bird
23-11-2009, 00:11

1..In The Court Of The Crimson King
2..In The Wake Of Poseidon
3..Lizard
4..Islands

In The Court Of The Crimson King is one of the greatest prog albums ever IMHO..& the best Crimson line-up..Mellotron fans just melt when they hear it.This line up includes Greg Lake of ELP fame.

In The Wake Of Poseidon is a very good follow-up to the first but obviously the magic of the first isnt there. Last album for greg lake.

Lizard is brilliant i love it as much as the first although it's nothing like it.It's actually my fav Crimson album, has Andy McCulloch on drums who went to form the band fields with graham fields of Rare Bird fame, also Keith Tippett is on there (Julie Driscols husband)

Lastly Island is once again a different sound, the thing with Crimson is their sound evolved so quickly..

If you can't get enough of the first two albums i highly Recommend McDonald & Giles LP ..This is Ian McDonald & Michael Giles who were on the first album..Also features Stevie Windwood on organ..This album slots perfectly between the first & second Crimson albums..

Some may be intrested in the pre Crimson Giles, Giles & Fripp, an amazing proto-prog adventure..

http://www.last.fm/music/McDonald%2B%2526%2BGiles/_/Birdman+Files!

Alex_UK
23-11-2009, 00:38
Cheers Andre - ITCOTCK 40th ordered - let's see how I get on with that first!

Themis
23-11-2009, 06:04
Alex, everybody likes ITCOTCK. At home, even wife and children adore it, although each has distinct music preferences.
It is a timeless album, you made a good choice. :)

chris@panteg
31-07-2010, 11:56
In the wake of posiedon and Islands out on in october , DVDA ! new mixes by Steve Wilson and the great Fripp of course .

http://www.dgmlive.com/news.htm?entry=2509

Rare Bird
31-07-2010, 21:07
Aye

Rare Bird
07-09-2010, 11:03
Postman been. With the last intallment of my Japanese HQ-CD 'ITCOTCK' set.

chris@panteg
07-09-2010, 11:09
Hi Andre

My the packaging does look good , i will be getting the DVDA versions ,bit more affordable:) .

These jap discs have Sacd and bog standard dual layer ?

Jason P
08-09-2010, 19:12
Can anyone point me in the direction of any KC SACDs? I'd like to get a few, I've only gotten a few albums on vinyl and since a minty copy of ITCOTCK goes for about twice the cost of my player, I'll stick to SACD if I can get it!!!

Jason

chris@panteg
08-09-2010, 23:09
http://www.unitedhomeproducts.com/japanese_cds_and_new_japanes.htm

Jason P
09-09-2010, 16:39
http://www.unitedhomeproducts.com/japanese_cds_and_new_japanes.htm

thangyawverymuch!

zygote23
09-09-2010, 19:47
Is it just me or is the King Crimson web page a nightmare!