PDA

View Full Version : Mike Homar's Analogue Cable

Mike
15-08-2009, 11:57
A few people have enquired about analogue interconnects.

TBH, I don't really have the time to be making any as I can hardly keep up with the digital ones, but I'll post details of some nice cables as soon as I can find a link to the wire I use... At the moment it seems to have vanished from the site where I buy it!

Hmmm... :scratch:

alb
15-08-2009, 12:03
How about selling a bit of the magic cable then, Mike?
So we can make our own.

Mike
15-08-2009, 12:09
Hi Al,

Analogue or digital?

Neither contain any 'magic' though... ;)

Marco
15-08-2009, 12:53
Is there no pee-pee in those, then? ;)

Marco.

Mike
15-08-2009, 13:00
No, just a bit of poo.

alb
16-08-2009, 12:14
A couple of metres of your finest analogue, would be interesting.
I've got enough digital stuff to keep me busy, when i'm in the mood.:)

Mike
16-08-2009, 13:09
Hi Al,

It's just Soniqs ICT but I've got non to spare... it seems to have disappeared from the WD catalogue ATM.

I've asked on the forum but response so far.:confused:

alb
16-08-2009, 14:26
It's just Soniqs ICT

In that case....no problem.
Because that's what i use now inside the amp. The stuff from IPL speakers is similar.

Mike
17-11-2009, 20:44
Gents,

I'd pretty much given up on this particular cable, but an enquiry elicited the following information...

This is a Dearborn Cable part Nr 62202-100 available from Farnell under Part Nr. 161-0293 costing £205-72 per 100ft plus VAT

It's a bit too steep a price for me to buy a whole real, but maybe if there was enough of us for a 'group buy'? :confused:

Themis
17-11-2009, 20:50
I'm in it. I can afford two pairs. (this makes 12-16ft if I'm not mistaken)

Mike
25-11-2009, 22:53
Anyone want to volunteer to try some analogue cables?

It's something I was working on (but wasn't entirely convinced by) and I've made some changes. Unfortunately, I'm without an amp for a week or two so can't do any testing ATM! :(

I'd value a second opinion anyway... :)

Marco
25-11-2009, 22:55
ME !!!

:)

Marco.

Mike
25-11-2009, 23:00
How bloody predictable! :lolsign:

Ok... but if you take forever like you do with all the other cables, I reserve the right to kill and eat you! :smoking:

Jonboy
25-11-2009, 23:03
How bloody predictable! :lolsign:

Ok... but if you take forever like you do with all the other cables, I reserve the right to kill and eat you! :smoking:

bottle of Chianti whilst eating his liver?

Mike
25-11-2009, 23:08
bottle of Chianti whilst eating his liver?

Yeah! :fingers:

Marco
25-11-2009, 23:09
I'd only end up giving you indigestion... :eyebrows:

Well, it's important that I've got as many available benchmarks as possible with which to judge the MGs against. They're top of the pile at the moment, but who knows, yours could become my new benchmark?

Thing is though, I can only comment with regard to the results obtained in the context of my system - nothing is universally definitive :)

Marco.

Mike
25-11-2009, 23:11
I've actually got a small bagful of cables for you to play with! :)

Thing is... I ain't gonna tell ya which are digital and which are analogue!

You'll have to decide for yerself! :lol:

Spectral Morn
25-11-2009, 23:13
I would be very happy to give them a listen Mike.

I suppose they are all RCA and not XLR...not a major issue. But many of my cables are XLR as I run things balanced. However I can compare them to RCA cables I use as references such as Atlas Marvos, Audience AU24, Audio Note ANS etc.

Regards D S D L

Mike
25-11-2009, 23:14
And when did I say I can't do XLR, eh? ;)

Marco
25-11-2009, 23:16
I've actually got a small bagful of cables for you to play with! :)

Thing is... I ain't gonna tell ya which are digital and which are analogue!

You'll have to decide for yerself!

Oh what fun!! :drugs:

:eyebrows:

Marco.

Spectral Morn
25-11-2009, 23:17
And when did I say I can't do XLR, eh? ;)

I would not be so presumptuous to ask you to solder/crimp me up some just to try. But if you have 2x1m XLR to XLR and 1x1m RCA to RCA I would be willing to listen and give my opinions.

Regards D S D L

Mike
25-11-2009, 23:19
1x1m RCA to RCA I would be willing to listen and give my opinions.

Just a digital one then? :scratch:

Spectral Morn
25-11-2009, 23:30
Just a digital one then? :scratch:

No. Because my BAT pre only has 2 XLR inputs I also use RCA to RCA to connect other items up that way. That selection of cables will allow me to compare to my known references....:):)

I don't really use much in the way of digital cables at the present time as my main CD players are all one box units. It would complicate things to much if I start messing around with Transports and Dacs...I could, but I don't want to at the moment. Working with what I have set up at the minute will allow me to listen and report more quickly what I think/hear.

Regards D S D L

Mike
25-11-2009, 23:33
No. Because my BAT pre only has 2 XLR inputs I also use RCA to RCA to connect other items up that way. That selection of cables will allow me to compare to my known references....:):)

I don't really use much in the way of digital cables at the present time as my main CD players are all one box units. It would complicate things to much if I start messing around with Transports and Dacs...I could, but I don't want to at the moment. Working with what I have set up at the minute will allow me to listen and report more quickly what I think/hear.

Regards D S D L

Is it mono then?

I just wondered why you asked for a single 1m RCA-RCA cable? ;)

Spectral Morn
25-11-2009, 23:41
Is it mono then?

I just wondered why you asked for a single 1m RCA-RCA cable? ;)

Sorry No. I think in terms of a 1m cable being as a stereo pair not a mono cable :doh: Just me... I have only ever sold linear mono M cables a few times in my life...made a very expensive mistake once on that distinction I ended up paying quite a few quid back to the shop I worked in and a customer got a bargain.

I need 2 1m stereo pairs with XLR terminations to try and a 1m stereo pair with RCA to RCA also to try.

Regards D S D L

Mike
25-11-2009, 23:43
Sorry No. I think in terms of a 1m cable being as a stereo pair not a mono cable :doh: Just me... I have only ever sold linear mono M cables a few times in my life...made a very expensive mistake once on that distinction I ended up paying quite a few quid back to the shop I worked in and a customer got a bargain.

I need 2 1m stereo pairs with XLR terminations to try and a 1m stereo pair with RCA to RCA also to try.

Regards D S D L

HeHeHe... thought so. Just joshin! ;)

Mike
25-11-2009, 23:47
Oh, Neil!

Quick question... The balanced cables, do you need male to female?

Spectral Morn
25-11-2009, 23:48
HeHeHe... thought so. Just joshin! ;)

No problem Mike :):)

Regards D S D L

Spectral Morn
25-11-2009, 23:50
Oh, Neil!

Quick question... The balanced cables, do you need male to female?

Yes... I think so. Signal flow is from Pre to power and CD player to Pre. I take it they are directional your cables ?

Edit Your above question has confused me. Just standard XLR plugs one end an Out and one end an In

This sort of thing

http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/800px-xlr-connectors.jpg
One on Left is an OUT, one on Right is an IN

Regards D S D L

Mike
25-11-2009, 23:55
Yes... I think so. Signal flow is from Pre to power and CD player to Pre. I take it they are directional your cables ?

Regards D S D L

I can make them that way, if you like? :)

But normally, no, not for balanced cables...

I could do something a bit 'fancy' with respect to screening though. In which case I'd need to know the 'gender' for each end. A photo of the connections on the back of the kit might be helpful in that case. ;)

Spectral Morn
25-11-2009, 23:58
I can make them that way, if you like? :)

But normally, no, not for balanced cables...

I could do something a bit 'fancy' with respect to screening though. In which case I'd need to know the 'gender' for each end. A photo of the connections on the back of the kit might be helpful in that case. ;)

OKay I will do it now for you.

Pre amp out put and CD player output like this...
http://i549.photobucket.com/albums/ii364/davros124/meridianG095HomeCinemasystemallinon.jpg
Power amp input and pre amp input like this...
http://i549.photobucket.com/albums/ii364/davros124/meridianG095HomeCinemasystemalli-1.jpg

As all items are American in their wiring the +/- and ground are wired the same.

Regards D S D L

Mike
26-11-2009, 00:08
http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/800px-xlr-connectors.jpg
One on Left is an OUT, one on Right is an IN

Regards D S D L

Neil,

If your system follows the same convention throughout, that's all I need.

Spectral Morn
26-11-2009, 00:17
Neil,

If your system follows the same convention throughout, that's all I need.

Yes it does...all standard way of doing things.

Regards D S D L

Themis
26-11-2009, 09:59
Pity I live so far away... :(

Wilbur
02-12-2009, 05:17
Im just up the A19 Mike-and pretty much a blank canvas as far as cables concerned:eyebrows: