PDA

View Full Version : Album Club, January 2015: Dan Le Sac vs. Scroobius Pip 'Repent Replenish and Repeat'

Album Club
01-01-2015, 16:28
Good Afternoon everybody and a Happy New Year.

The Album Club choice for January 2015 is by courtesy of John (JohnB) with 'Repent Replenish and Repeat' by Dan Le Sac and Scroobius Pip. Please listen to the whole album before you vote.

"Repent Replenish and Repeat" by Dan Le Sac versus Scroobius Pip....their final (?) LP from 2013.

http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag89/Jrb1961/a3689065599_10_zpsc9aae809.jpg

Why do I like this? Well, I love the beats and I love the lyrics....I've seen this band several times since 2008 (from a very heavy hip-hop night in the USA where they (and I) looked very different from everybody else in the place (the audience loved them btw) to Saturday night this year at Glastonbury in the Left Field where they played their final gig.

Pink Floyd they ain't, [thanks goodness! ;-)] I'm sure that I'm not their core target audience, and perhaps it's not an "AoS Album"..... but give it a couple of spins, you never know?

Track listing
Repent, Replenish, Repeat

1. "Stunner" 3:58
2. "Nightbus Sleepers" 3:26
3. "Terminal" 4:18
4. "Heroism" 3:27
5. "Porter" 5:01
6. "Gold Teeth" (featuring Flux Pavilion) 3:24
7. "Entity" 3:17
8. "Stiff Upper Lip" (featuring Itch) 3:34
9. "You Will See Me"

http://open.spotify.com/album/0Ii94t16y4yXTJK4Ic0o2V

Bazil
05-01-2015, 15:27
I always play the Album Club choices three times at least but this one only got two, I just don't like it I'm afraid :(

RichB
07-01-2015, 22:52
6 out of 10 from me.

The album reminds me of a misspent youth in the 90s spinning tunes with a crew and local MCs and poets would join us at times. Kind of similar but with a geordie accent. In fact here's one of the lads rocking his stuff for the cameras in Glastonbury 94 I think ;)

RyU18eab0zw

Sadly this genre leaves me a bit cold these days but I think I know exactly where John is coming from with this suggestion. They are an excellent festival act and would light the place up live. Unfortunately it didn't entirely translate into my living room on a cold and rainy Wednesday night.

Highlights for me were 'Terminal', a proper story of a defining night. I recognised the scene laid out in the lyrics. Also 'Gold Teeth' as i liked the beats.

high.spirits
08-01-2015, 10:00
Well I tried it and it's not really my thing. Poetry is quite clever so 4/10.

Barry
16-01-2015, 15:58
I always have difficulty with rap: I admire the skill (especially if done "off the cuff") but I don't like the sound. Much of the poetry is forced to rhyme, and often the subject matter is either misogynistic, sexist, aggressive or expouses cod-politics.

This album is to my mind is only a little better, so it will come as no surprise that I'll only be giving it 2/10.

However to end on a more positive note, there is one outstanding track on this album: "Terminal". I found this track to be deeply affecting, haunting and moving. Perhaps it was because it was not rhyming rap, that I liked it. Whatever the reason, I played it three times. :)

johnB
16-01-2015, 19:01
Clearly not everyone's cup-of-tea, but if we all liked the same music the world would be a very flat place. At least you guys gave it a listen ..... May have influenced a little! :-)

DanJennings
11-04-2015, 09:26
Well I've long since missed the poll on this one, but I'd give this one a 9. Love those guys, and this was their best and sadly their final album together.

I especially love Gold Teeth and Nightbus Sleepers

johnB
11-04-2015, 09:50
Well I've long since missed the poll on this one, but I'd give this one a 9. Love those guys, and this was their best and sadly their final album together.

I especially love Gold Teeth and Nightbus Sleepers
Blimey Dan, that'll improve the poll by 100%......still don't understand why nobody in this group liked this LP, I think it's a stunner (so to speak).
Thought I'd suggest Ghostpoet next time :-)

John

WAD62
16-04-2015, 12:03
Angles was a far better album...

This is worth 5 alone for the excellent 'You will see me', so an overall 7 from me :)

Doh!, voting's finished!