PDA

View Full Version : Bob Brines FT-1600 Mk2 Speaker Build

Tripmaster
13-08-2009, 09:16
Hi

I completed a pair of Bob's FT-1600 Mk2 Mass-Loaded Transmission Line's yesterday and I thought I would post some info regarding the build.

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo189/Tripmaster_photo/Front-4.jpg

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo189/Tripmaster_photo/Single2.jpg

I've only had them running for five or six hours, but they sound very promising, and during that time the bass has developed significantly. I've tried a variety of music and it sounds good with most easy going genres.

Bob was was very helpful during the build and I can thoroughly recommend his speaker instructions, very clear and easy to follow.

If you are looking for a relativity simple build, not too large and something the wife may like, it should defiantly be on your short list!

http://www.geocities.com/rbrines1/Pages/FT-1600_MkII/Main.html

I've taken lots of photos during the build and if anyone is interested I'll be happy to upload them.

I'll post further information as the drivers break-in.

Richard

Edit: One of the photos shows a port protruding from the cabinet, it was only left this way during testing.

Alex_UK
13-08-2009, 09:24
Well done - they look exceedingly professional Richard. As someone who is getting the DIY itch, I personally would love to see some more pics and detail on the build, sure others would too.

Tripmaster
13-08-2009, 12:37
Hi Alex

Thanks a lot! :)

It's my first speaker build and I would really recommend having a go.

It's really exciting positioning them in your room and firing them up for the first time!

I'll go through my photos tonight and upload a few later.

Richard

Spectral Morn
13-08-2009, 19:00
I have to say Richard that they look like a commercial product, fit and finish looks very good indeed. I think most DIYers would be very happy if they achieved those results a few years down the line(after a number of projects), but for a first project WOW.

Maybe you might like to write a review for Strokes of Genius. I think a formal write up is whats needed for such an unusual speaker and your workmanship. I know everyone will be very interested in your description of how these sound.

Regards D S D L

John
13-08-2009, 20:03
really nice work and if you get Transmission lines right they capable of some very good sounds
I just done a diy speaker build too and sounds very good indeed but not as good looking

Tripmaster
13-08-2009, 20:55
Really kind words :)

Its really nice to hear such nice comments after all the hard work.

Yes, I will be more than happy to provide a review. A friend of mine will be demoing them at the weekend, and as I value his opinion he has been kind enough to offer a review.

Richard

alb
13-08-2009, 21:24
Superb job, Richard.
Did you build them from scratch, or use his flatpack kit?

Tripmaster
13-08-2009, 21:30
I built them from scratch

Spectral Morn
13-08-2009, 21:43
Really kind words :)

Its really nice to hear such nice comments after all the hard work.

Yes, I will be more than happy to provide a review. A friend of mine will be demoing them at the weekend, and as I value his opinion he has been kind enough to offer a review.

Richard

Thank you very much. I look forward to reading it.

Regards D S D L

aquapiranha
13-08-2009, 21:47
Lovely, make my efforts look like tea boxes! well done!

alb
14-08-2009, 19:27
I built them from scratch

In that case, they're even better.

I built a trial pair a while back, but couldn't get them right with my drivers. At the same time someone else built some with Fostex drivers, and they were excellent.
Do you use the baffle step circuit, some preferred it without, including me.:)

Tripmaster
14-08-2009, 23:01
In that case, they're even better.

I built a trial pair a while back, but couldn't get them right with my drivers. At the same time someone else built some with Fostex drivers, and they were excellent.
Do you use the baffle step circuit, some preferred it without, including me.:)

Hi there!

I am using a baffle step at the moment. I followed his instructions to the letter during the build, but plan to experiment once the drivers have broken-in. I don't think Bob uses an inductor in his own pair, and adjusts the EQ using Foobar on his laptop. Id rather not use a baffle step because it decreases the sensitivity by about 2 dB. I might also remove the damping material behind the drivers as this can make it sound quite lively.

There are lots of things to try :eyebrows:

Did you follow one of Bob's plans, and which drivers did you use?

Richard

alb
15-08-2009, 00:11
I'm not sure who was originally responsible for the plans. It was a couple of years ago now.
I noticed the outside dimensions were the same as the ones i made.
I used and still use, Audio Nirvana drivers which are quite similar to the Fostex.
For me it was just a quick experiment. Though i would have built some nicer ones if the results had been better. However, if i needed to build a pair of compact speakers, i would definitely consider these.

Tripmaster
18-08-2009, 22:25
You can find a full review of these speakers at Strokes of Genius :)

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3648

Tripmaster
09-08-2010, 16:56
Ali

Have you added a super-tweeter to your ML-TLs?

I am considering making a pair of small boxes to house the FT-17H (http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/speaker_comp/pdf/ft17h.pdf) super tweeter.

Ali Tait
09-08-2010, 17:07
Yes,I used those same tweeters with an L-pad.Made a very worthwhile improvement IMO.

Tripmaster
09-08-2010, 17:14
Yes,I used those same tweeters with an L-pad.Made a very worthwhile improvement IMO.

Thanks Ali :)

Quite good value for money at around £40 each. Can you remember the value of the poly cap used? Scottmoose has suggested starting at ~1.5uf

Ali Tait
09-08-2010, 17:30
Yes 1.5 is what I used.

Ali Tait
09-08-2010, 17:31
Are you going to use an L-pad also?

Tripmaster
09-08-2010, 18:59
Are you going to use an L-pad also?

I tried some really cheap piezo tweeters with a pair of l-pads a while ago and they sounded truly awful. I intend to use l-pads with the Fostex tweets

Do you have any pics of your tweeter enclosure? I have a couple of ideas, but it would be nice to see what you have made :don't be shy:

Ali Tait
09-08-2010, 19:27
I just drilled holes in the baffles.I offset them to make a handed pair and kept the as close to the Fostex as possible-

Tripmaster
09-08-2010, 19:31
Thanks Ali

I see (just) you have one Dave's phase plugs. Did your knees knock when cutting the driver? I may order a pair soon

Ali Tait
09-08-2010, 19:52
Yeah sorry for the crap photo,I used my phone.I didn't cut them myself,I bought the speakers already done,but yes,I'd be a bit wary of doing it!

Tripmaster
09-08-2010, 19:59
Yeah sorry for the crap photo,I used my phone.I didn't cut them myself,I bought the speakers already done,but yes,I'd be a bit wary of doing it!

Don't worry, only pulling your leg. I just want a tad more top end sparkle. Do you use a sub?

Ali Tait
09-08-2010, 20:16
Nope,but those speakers are not being used at the moment.I also have two pairs of statics,both from ER Audio,the ESL III and the top of the range Acorn. Eventual plan is when the direct coupled amps are built,they will drive the Acorns,but because of the power consumption and heat that will be generated,I'll only be using them for music. The MLTL's will be used with a Tripath amp for AV duties,as the family have discovered how good the TV sounds through the system,so it is on for about 6 or 7 hours a day.I couldn't afford the leccy bills if I was to use the direct amps!