PDA

View Full Version : Real Bookshelf Speakers

Alex_UK
12-08-2009, 13:16
I'm very intrigued by these Musical Encyclopedia Speakers (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170371277477&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1123) - made by Videotron, who appear to be Hungarian - does anyone know anything about them? I've tried google, but my Hungarian is rubbish!

smithy
12-08-2009, 17:12
I vaguely remember these speakers as I used to have a pair of Videoton Minimax 2,I would imagine the driver surrounds would have decayed by now after 30 years .I cant ever remember seeing a review maybe two 2 1/2inch drive units in the spine of the book?

Alex_UK
12-08-2009, 17:28
Thanks Smithy, I'm sure they're absolute pony, but I just thought they were a novel idea! (geddit!);)

Feel free everyone to add your literary pun even if you've got nothing to add about the speakers... if you've got the spine for it! :lol:

The Vinyl Adventure
12-08-2009, 17:34
Thanks Smithy, I'm sure they're absolute pony, but I just thought they were a novel idea! (geddit!);)

Feel free everyone to add your literary pun even if you've got nothing to add about the speakers... if you've got the spine for it! :lol:

:doh:

Beechwoods
12-08-2009, 18:24
I've got a feeling the seller is missing the optional but very necessary and weighty third volume, aka 'The Sub'...

Methinks you'd only be getting half the story without it :doh: :lol:

DSJR
12-08-2009, 19:16
I remember well the Minimax - very crude and rough sounding, but full of fun nonetheless, rather like a *really" crude Royd or Linn Kan. One of those speakers that may just work with a top end system driving them.

I'd sooner look for some Denon (Mission?) SCM7's (no, they're not scum - honest)...

hifi_dave
12-08-2009, 19:27
Yup, I did a review of them for Practical Hi-Fi. Rough as a badger's arse I seem to recall, lively but lightweight and small sounding.

Alex_UK
13-08-2009, 16:10
I did think they would be a limited volume, and my music library would be wasted on them. I will take a leaf out of your book DSJR you can't beat proper speakers - we're on the same page there... (Sorry, I'll stop now - thanks for playing Nick!)

I still like them for the novelty value, but probably not enough to bid!