PDA

View Full Version : Arcam Amp.

Peter H
11-08-2009, 14:57
I have an Arcam 7R amp. Not sure where I got it and have just dug it out to try. I need some opinions: Is it any good / worth keeping. I ask as it has a couple of dodgy connections (Dry solder joints presumably).
To be repaired or serviced might cost more than a new one of a lesser quality make.
Any views appreciated including when was that model in vogue ?
:scratch:

aquapiranha
12-08-2009, 22:00
Some of the Arcam gear is great ( I had a CD93T / A85 / P85 system a couple of years ago) and at the moment I am modding an Alpha 5 CD. IMO Arcam are one of the most under-rated manufacturers.

lovejoy
13-08-2009, 08:21
The 7R amp was Arcam's entry level integrated amp from around 2001 if memory serves me correctly. They retailed for around £220. Using the term entry level does it a bit of an injustice as compared with the entry level amps from any of the Japanese manufacturers the Arcam completely outclassed them.

For the money it sold for, you'd still be hard pushed to find anything better today - apart from getting into class-T or class-D amps, the technology hasn't moved an inch. Internally, Arcams are easy to work on. Lots of space in the box, nicely laid out circuit boards, good quality components. If it's nothing more than dry joints (which is likely as there's really not a lot to go wrong with these things) then anyone with basic soldering skills should be able to fix it.

Peter H
13-08-2009, 12:50
Thanks Rich.