PDA

View Full Version : Arrest this man!

David Price
10-08-2009, 21:17
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qWhYlhfWCI

The Vinyl Adventure
10-08-2009, 23:50
the shop i work in has a butchers next door and there is a couple of long unused meat hooks out the back.
when we get a broken bit of kit that is beyod repair we take it out the back smash it on to the meat hook and then smash it with a hamer... we rather inacuratly refer to this as "halaling it".... it really makes you feel beter on a bad day

Beobloke
11-08-2009, 10:36
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qWhYlhfWCI

Best thing to do with anything made by Apple IMHO! :lolsign:

The Vinyl Adventure
11-08-2009, 10:41
<sheilds his iphone in horror and fear>

Marco
11-08-2009, 11:51
I can never understand people who get passionate/enthusiastic or 'worked up' in any way about computers of any description! :scratch:

Marco.

The Vinyl Adventure
11-08-2009, 11:55
the iphone is brill mate, it practically makes your tea with all its "aps"

Marco
11-08-2009, 12:04
I shall try hard to contain my excitement, Hamish ;)

Marco (whose basic Motorola mobile phone is used for calling people and sending texts ONLY).

The Vinyl Adventure
11-08-2009, 12:27
you wanna get with the times mate get your self an iphone ... you should prob sack off those tatty old tannoys too eh ;):ner:

i jest of course... but the i phone does have some pretty nifty extras i used it yesterday to level my turntable... its got a decibel meter too .. you know your tempted now :eyebrows:

Marco
11-08-2009, 13:10
LOL. Hamish, if or when you get to know me better you'll realise that I "get with the times" only when I consider it unquestionably beneficial to do so, not just for the sake of it to appear as being 'trendy' :smoking:

I detest the 'sheep mentality' and pandering to lifestyles/using of gadgets that erodes the fabric of our society, hindering our ability to communicate as normal human beings (such as folk glued to their iPods/mobile phones 24/7), which unfortunately pervades our lives these days!!

<Rant mode off>

However, if you enjoy using these sorts of toys, then cool, carry on with my blessing :cool:

Marco.

The Vinyl Adventure
11-08-2009, 13:29
LOL. Hamish, if or when you get to know me better you'll realise that I "get with the times" only when I consider it unquestionably beneficial to do so, not just for the sake of it to appear as being 'trendy' :smoking:

I detest the 'sheep mentality' and pandering to lifestyles/using of gadgets that erodes the fabric of our society, hindering our ability to communicate as normal human beings (such as folk glued to their iPods/mobile phones 24/7), which unfortunately pervades our lives these days!!

<Rant mode off>

However, if you enjoy using these sorts of toys, then cool, carry on with my blessing :cool:

Marco.

marco, i know very little of you but i think i worked out what you have just told me about your self in the first week of being a member of this forum

it was one of the things that added a bit more interest to this forum for me... the fact that people here colectivly apriciate both the old and new ... it is in fact the very reason i ended up staying here and dont bother with avforums and the what hifi forum anymore (in hindsight im not sure why i did bother with said forums in the first place)

the real reason i use an iphone is because after a lot of research and a year with a "ipaq business comunicator" it turned out to be the best tool for running my business ie contacts, callender, notes etc all sync with outlook on my computer and do it seemlessly ...this is very important to me as it means i can run my business from home or far abroad

in fact i did buy it quite begrudgingly as i had much preferd to not follow the crowd and had been quite vocal about that fact with all my iphone using mates.
needless to say i did get a lot of shit off them when i rocked up down the pub and got my iphone out!

my one mate Gianni (mobile phone sales man at the time) actually said to me when i got the ipaq that he knew i would have a iphone within the year... he was right... i looked stupid

but heyho like i said it does everything i want and need it to, and i guess thats what you mean by "only when I consider it unquestionably beneficial to do so"

Marco
11-08-2009, 13:55
Hehehe... Nice one, Hamish :)

I totally understand and appreciate your reasons for owing an iPhone and why it would be an asset for you. My lifestyle and business requirements are rather different, though :smoking:

I've had the same (battered and scratched) mobile phone since 2007 - it only gets switched on occasionally, and the camera on it, for example, has been used about half a dozen times... Apparently it also connects to the Internet, but I have no inclination to find out :eyebrows:

I use my laptop (at home) for surfing the Internet (posting here, etc) and my mobile phone for talking to people and sending texts, but only where it's appropriate to do so. You'll not find me on the train (on the rare occasions where I use a train or any form of public transport) saying to someone on a mobile phone, at the commencement of some banal conversation: "I'm on the train, Betty {blah, blah}..." - oh, how bloody annoying that is!!

Bonkers as it is too, I still enjoy HAND WRITING letters to people and posting them, going into real shops in towns to buy stuff, and playing records and tapes instead of downloading music files... Also, we live in an old lodge and grow a lot of our own produce, shunning supermarkets wherever possible, and my wife drives a vintage Morris Minor Traveller and I drive an old Mercedes.

I know, I need certifying don't I? :mental: :lol:

No, I'm afraid I'm rather proud of my old-fashioned values - not everything new in life is best!

Marco.

The Vinyl Adventure
11-08-2009, 16:03
To be fair, I can't quibble with that, we are all different after all... part of the veriety of life eh?!

Reply sent from iPhone whilst sat on a bus :)

Marco
11-08-2009, 16:06
LOL!

Reply sent via my (wireless) laptop whilst sat outside in the garden sipping a glass of chilled Chablis... ;)

:eyebrows:

Marco.

Joe
11-08-2009, 17:04
Time for a bit of Charlie Brooker, methinks:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2007/feb/05/comment.media

'I hate Macs. I have always hated Macs. I hate people who use Macs. I even hate people who don't use Macs but sometimes wish they did. Macs are glorified Fisher-Price activity centres for adults; computers for scaredy cats too nervous to learn how proper computers work; computers for people who earnestly believe in feng shui.

PCs are the ramshackle computers of the people. You can build your own from scratch, then customise it into oblivion. Sometimes you have to slap it to make it work properly, just like the Tardis (Doctor Who, incidentally, would definitely use a PC). PCs have charm; Macs ooze pretension. When I sit down to use a Mac, the first thing I think is, "I hate Macs", and then I think, "Why has this rubbish aspirational ornament only got one mouse button?" Losing that second mouse button feels like losing a limb. If the ads were really honest, Webb would be standing there with one arm, struggling to open a packet of peanuts while Mitchell effortlessly tore his apart with both hands. But then, if the ads were really honest, Webb would be dressed in unbelievably po-faced avant-garde clothing with a gigantic glowing apple on his back. And instead of conducting a proper conversation, he would be repeatedly congratulating himself for looking so cool, and banging on about how he was going to use his new laptop to write a novel, without ever getting round to doing it, like a mediocre idiot.

Cue 10 years of nasal bleating from Mac-likers who profess to like Macs not because they are fashionable, but because "they are just better". Mac owners often sneer that kind of defence back at you when you mock their silly, posturing contraptions, because in doing so, you have inadvertently put your finger on the dark fear haunting their feeble, quivering soul - that in some sense, they are a superficial semi-person assembled from packaging; an infinitely sad, second-rate replicant who doesn't really know what they are doing here, but feels vaguely significant and creative each time they gaze at their sleek designer machine. And the more deftly constructed and wittily argued their defence, the more terrified and wounded they secretly are.'

(This reply posted via an iBook G4, for added irony)

The Vinyl Adventure
11-08-2009, 17:10
i hate charlie brooker! ironically, thats exactly why i like him so much..... and i am fairly sure thats exactly how he want me to feel!

Marco
11-08-2009, 17:10
That was very funny, Joe, so thanks for that! :eyebrows:

However:

If the ads were really honest, Webb would be standing there with one arm, struggling to open a packet of peanuts while Mitchell effortlessly tore his apart with both hands. But then, if the ads were really honest, Webb would be dressed in unbelievably po-faced avant-garde clothing with a gigantic glowing apple on his back.

...excuse my ignorance, but who are these Webb and Mitchell chappies? :confused:

Not being into computers, if they're someone 'famous', I wouldn't know! Or do you mean these guys:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0092s71

I've seen them on TV, but didn't know them by name.

Marco.

Barry
11-08-2009, 17:19
LOL!

Reply sent via my (wireless) laptop whilst sat outside in the garden sipping a glass of chilled Chablis... ;)

:eyebrows:

Marco.

Not interested in the laptop, but I am interested in the Chablis. Which one would it be Marco?

Marco
11-08-2009, 17:29
Hi Barry,

I'm afraid it was just an £8.99 jobby from Aldi: 'Domaine de la Vigne Blanche' - fine for midweek quaffing ;)

It went rather well though with the Salad Niçoise for lunch :cheers:

Marco.

P.S Did you see my recent entry on the wine thread in Abstract Chat?

Joe
11-08-2009, 18:12
T
...excuse my ignorance, but who are these Webb and Mitchell chappies? :confused:

Not being into computers, if they're someone 'famous', I wouldn't know! Or do you mean these guys:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0092s71

I've seen them on TV, but didn't know them by name.

Marco.

That's them. David Mitchell and Robert Webb. The Mac adverts came out when they were doing Peep Show:

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/peep-show

DanJennings
11-08-2009, 18:15
yeah, Mitchell and Webb are excellent, but don't watch 'That Mitchell and Webb Look' because it's toss.
Peep Show all the way, it's all on 4od if you want to watch it, highly recommended.

Also, to clarify, I am most definitely in the PC camp.

Joe
11-08-2009, 18:16
i hate charlie brooker! ironically, thats exactly why i like him so much..... and i am fairly sure thats exactly how he want me to feel!

I have mixed feelings about Brooker. Sometimes I find him really amusing, sometimes I think he's just Jeremy Clarkson with better dialogue.

Marco
11-08-2009, 18:25
That's them. David Mitchell and Robert Webb. The Mac adverts came out when they were doing Peep Show:

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/peep-show

Ah, thanks Joe. I didn't watch that programme, but I might do with the next series... :eyebrows:

I'd argue though that it's rather presumptuous of CB referring to them by surname only (and a comedy sketch), which not everyone will have seen, expecting people reading to automatically understand the inference, as if both it (and Webb and Mitchell) were famous. Mildly well-known, I suggest, would be more appropriate.

I'd never heard of the Peep Show (or that sketch) until now. Not to worry, though - all very entertaining!

My favourite C4 shows are 'Shameless' and 'Skins' - 'Ugly Betty' (my wife's favourite programme) can also be good too sometimes :)

Marco.

Barry
11-08-2009, 19:12
Hi Barry,

I'm afraid it was just an £8.99 jobby from Aldi: 'Domaine de la Vigne Blanche' - fine for midweek quaffing ;)

It went rather well though with the Salad Niçoise for lunch :cheers:

Marco.

P.S Did you see my recent entry on the wine thread in Abstract Chat?

'...just an £8.99 jobby....'! Sounds perfectly decent to me.

Yes I did see your wine thread and will be following it up after my next visit to Tesco.:cheers:

Marco
11-08-2009, 19:54
'...just an £8.99 jobby....'! Sounds perfectly decent to me.

Oh, trust me it was! :)

Although, hardly in the upper-echelons of the finest of Chablis...

Let me know how you get on at Tescos. Make sure that you land the Vacqueyras - it's an absolute corker!!

Marco.

Barry
11-08-2009, 20:27
Oh, trust me it was! :)

Although, hardly in the upper-echelons of the finest of Chablis...

Let me know how you get on at Tescos. Make sure that you land the Vacqueyras - it's an absolute corker!!

Marco.

Yes, I'm looking forward to trying that one. I recently enjoyed a 2008 Vacqueyras the Baume de Venise, which cost me me double your 2007 Caves Saint-Pierre. Pays to cruise the Tesco wine aisles!

Have you ever tried their house VSOP Armagnac? At around £17 it is a remarkably smooth drop. Tesco have at times had offers where it has been sold at £13 a bottle. When this happens - buy two bottles!

Regards

Alex_UK
11-08-2009, 21:26

Sounds perfectly fine, but you've shattered all my illusions Marco, I would never have imagined you going to Aldi in a million years! No offence intended, to you, or any other Aldi shoppers, I just can't picture it!

My only guess is that you are less conspicuous there, if, for instance, you wanted to wear different attire to which you are normally accustomed and didn't want to meet your usual acquaintances...? ;)

Barry
11-08-2009, 21:33
Sounds perfectly fine, but you've shattered all my illusions Marco, I would never have imagined you going to Aldi in a million years! No offence intended, to you, or any other Aldi shoppers, I just can't picture it!

My only guess is that you are less conspicuous there, if, for instance, you wanted to wear different attire to which you are normally accustomed and didn't want to meet your usual acquaintances...? ;)

Don't even hint at Marco's alternative attire! :eyebrows: What we want to know is what other oenophile delights does Aldi have to offer.

There is an Aldi not too far from where I live. I would not be too proud to shop there, if there were genuine bargains to be had.

Marco
11-08-2009, 21:39
Have you ever tried their house VSOP Armagnac?

No, but I do like a spot of Armagnac, preferring it to Cognac (if in France, make sure that you're in the right part before declaring such a thing!), although I rarely drink spirits. I'll bear it in mind though, perhaps for Christmas :)

Wine-wise I'm on a bit of a Rhône trip at the moment (rather different from my usual penchant for Bordeaux), what with the Vacqueyras, and having recently enjoyed some none too shabby Châteauneuf-du-Pape and Crozes-Hermitage.

Anyway, happy slurping!

Marco.

Barry
11-08-2009, 21:55
No, but I do like a spot of Armagnac, preferring it to Cognac (if in France, make sure that you're in the right part before declaring such a thing!), although I rarely drink spirits. I'll bear it in mind though, perhaps for Christmas :)

Wine-wise I'm on a bit of a Rhône trip at the moment (rather different from my usual penchant for Bordeaux), what with the Vacqueyras, and having recently enjoyed some none too shabby Châteauneuf-du-Pape and Crozes-Hermitage.

Anyway, happy slurping!

Marco.

That's interesting - I too have been drinking Rhone of late. The 2008 Vacqueyras and a Chateauneuf du Pape (the exact chateaux whose name I have forgotten). As I mentioned, 2007 was a good year for Rhone so there could well be a lot more Rhone slurping chez Barry!

Apropos the Armagnac, it's either the Tesco or £58 for the Janneau XO ! :smoking:

Marco
11-08-2009, 21:55

LOL! Why ever not, Alex? I'm not a snob and like a bargain just the same anyone else. Aldi (and Lidl) have some fine produce, and quite frequently the odd 'high-end' wine (and beer) bargain :)

Did you imagine me sending the butler out to get a hamper from Fortnum & Masons? :lol:

My only guess is that you are less conspicuous there, if, for instance, you wanted to wear different attire to which you are normally accustomed and didn't want to meet your usual acquaintances...?

How dare you! Are you suggesting that my usual apparel of lilac blouse and leather shorts would suit the ambience of M&S more than Aldi? :eyebrows:

Marco.

Alex_UK
11-08-2009, 22:04
Did you imagine me sending the butler out to get a hamper from Fortnum & Masons? :lol:

Are you suggesting that my usual apparel of lilac blouse and leather shorts would suit the ambience of M&S more than Aldi? :eyebrows:

Yes, and yes! :lol:

I do have to drift back (cue wobbly screen and harpy-dream music...) to my original post on this forum - "I've been trying another Hi-Fi forum that I won't name, but found them so unfriendly and introverted that I've given up pretty much" - <back in the room> - glad to see I've found my rightful home here with AoS - or maybe that should be I've found the lowest common denominater! ;) Either way, thanks everyone for humouring me in my first week here! And I was only joking Marco, I didn't imagine you in a lilac blouse - it was cerise! ;)

Marco
11-08-2009, 22:06
That's interesting - I too have been drinking Rhone of late. The 2008 Vacqueyras and a Chateauneuf du Pape (the exact chateaux whose name I have forgotten). As I mentioned, 2007 was a good year for Rhone so there could well be a lot more Rhone slurping chez Barry!

Barry, in many ways I prefer Rhône to Burgundy, as it often has a bit more 'guts' - unless we're talking about the level of a Gevrey-Chambertin, or similar.

Apropos the Armagnac, it's either the Tesco or £58 for the Janneau XO !

Indeed. I'd take the Janneau XO over a Rémy, any day!

Marco.

Barry
11-08-2009, 22:08
Yes, and yes! :lol:

I do have to drift back (cue wobbly screen and harpy-dream music...) to my original post on this forum - "I've been trying another Hi-Fi forum that I won't name, but found them so unfriendly and introverted that I've given up pretty much" - <back in the room> - glad to see I've found my rightful home here with AoS - or maybe that should be I've found the lowest common denominater! ;) Either way, thanks everyone for humouring me in my first week here! And I was only joking Marco, I didn't imagine you in a lilac blouse - it was cerise! ;)

66 posts in only a week - man you're cooking! A week is a long time in AoS! :smoking: What was your original post? !!!!

Regards

Alex_UK
11-08-2009, 22:13
What was your original post? !!!!

Just my Welcome, but like most of my posts, fuelled by my wannabe oenophile pretensions! Hey, you have to practice!

Marco
11-08-2009, 22:13
I do have to drift back (cue wobbly screen and harpy-dream music...) to my original post on this forum - "I've been trying another Hi-Fi forum that I won't name, but found them so unfriendly and introverted that I've given up pretty much" - <back in the room> - glad to see I've found my rightful home here with AoS - or maybe that should be I've found the lowest common denominater! Either way, thanks everyone for humouring me in my first week here! And I was only joking Marco, I didn't imagine you in a lilac blouse - it was cerise!

Alex, dahling, cerise is a no-no... I can never get a lipstick to match! :lol: :lol:

Incidentally, which forum is this that you often speak of? Name and shame I say, although we won't dwell on it for too long ;)

Marco.

Alex_UK
11-08-2009, 22:23
Incidentally, which forum is this that you often speak of? Name and shame I say, although we won't dwell on it for too long

"often" is maybe an exaggeration, but it was the What HiFi one... no axe to grind - I just found they were'nt very friendly to newcomers - my feeling was that there is a definite clique - and being scientific, whilst I was "lurking" there was a demonstrable amount of posts that got ignored because they were from newbies asking for advice, whereas most of the members would rather "willy wave" (to quote a Marco saying I read on the ethos thread) than encourage someone new to the hobby (obsession?)

I also much prefer the "mechanics" of this site, but that is probably because it behaves the same as a car forum I frequent.

Marco
11-08-2009, 22:31
Glad you like it here, Alex. We're certainly enjoying your contributions :)

From what I've seen of the What Hi-fi? forum, it's rather 'low rent' and lacking in substance, certainly for me anyway.

Cliques are not something we would encourage here, although there are certainly a loyal bunch of regulars who share similar hi-fi proclivities and a warped sense of humour :eyebrows:

Marco.

Alex_UK
11-08-2009, 22:45
Aldi vs Waitrose, maybe? ;)

The "problem" I had with it was that no one seemed to want to "have a laugh" or at least enjoy a bit of friendly banter - I appreciate these are forums, not chat rooms, so one does need to keep some thread etiquette intact, but at the end of the day, it's not real life, it's (dare I say it!) just hi-fi - as I think I have found here, people who really appreciate that fact, are looking beyond just the boxes of electronics.

Oh crap, what thread are we on!? :)

Barry
11-08-2009, 23:11
Oh crap, what thread are we on!?

Gets like that at times. We do 'do serious' from time to time.

Anyway to repeat what Marco has said: 'Welcome to AoS'.

Beobloke
13-08-2009, 10:04
I've had the same (battered and scratched) mobile phone since 2007 - it only gets switched on occasionally, and the camera on it, for example, has been used about half a dozen times... Apparently it also connects to the Internet, but I have no inclination to find out :eyebrows:

I use my laptop (at home) for surfing the Internet (posting here, etc) and my mobile phone for talking to people and sending texts, but only where it's appropriate to do so. .

That's a hell of a relief to find out. I thought I was the only one left who -

- Uses a mobile phone for making calls or sending texts only.
- Takes photographs with a camera, not a phone or MP3 player.
- Watches television on a television, not a computer or a phone
- Uses a computer for doing work, surfing eBay and talking to fellow hi-fi nerds, and NOT for playing music!

I think we're a dying breed, Marco.......;)

Haselsh1
13-08-2009, 13:02
All this talk of iPhones reminds me of a guy I know who insists it takes wonderful photographs. He's changed his mind now he's actually seen a wonderful photograph.

Alex_UK
13-08-2009, 13:31

Reminds me of the Not The Nine O'Clock news sketch if anyone remembers it - "I'd like to buy a gramophone" ("D'you want a bag on your head?")

dSINO6MKtco

The Vinyl Adventure
13-08-2009, 13:39
All this talk of iPhones reminds me of a guy I know who insists it takes wonderful photographs. He's changed his mind now he's actually seen a wonderful photograph.

wonderfull photos is certainly not how i would describe iphone photos.... they are just barely better than f-ing aweful!

you can get some fairly interesting effect with some of the downloadable aps though

http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww282/hamish_gill/5075_204246790356_627140356_7467803.jpg

you could probably print it to a reasonable quality on the size of a large postage stamp too

Beobloke
13-08-2009, 13:40
Reminds me of the Not The Nine O'Clock news sketch if anyone remembers it - "I'd like to buy a gramophone" ("D'you want a bag on your head?")

:lol::lol:

Superb - haven't seen that for ages!!

Mike
13-08-2009, 18:05
That's a hell of a relief to find out. I thought I was the only one left who -

- Uses a mobile phone for making calls or sending texts only.
- Takes photographs with a camera, not a phone or MP3 player.
- Watches television on a television, not a computer or a phone
- Uses a computer for doing work, surfing eBay and talking to fellow hi-fi nerds, and NOT for playing music!

I'm another! :)

Barry
13-08-2009, 18:34
I'm another! :)

Me too, except I don't even send texts - if I can't speak to someone I won't text them. I regard it as rather rude.

Beechwoods
14-08-2009, 07:24
Texting is an odd thing. I'd never text someone I didn't know without having spoken to them first and agreed that texting was the best way to keep updated. I find them very useful though for 'status updates'. Keeping the wife updated without getting into a 3 minute conversation! It's also good because it doesn't demand an immediate response. The odd thing is we would have got on fine without hourly text 'blips' in the good old days. Now it would be extremely odd to go radio silence.

As a dad, getting picture messages during the day of the kids up to their tricks is a big benefit of a decent mobile phone.

REM
14-08-2009, 08:52
wonderfull photos is certainly not how i would describe iphone photos.... they are just barely better than f-ing aweful!

Can any of you photography gurus tell me which f-stop is the f-ing one, I don't seem to have one on my camera, do I need an SLR, full frame maybe, which lens ranges have the best f-ing stops, will I need any special adapters to use the f-ing stop or should I just stop f-ing about and leave it to those who know what they're f-ing doing?
I look forward to your advice and trust it will mean much better f-ing performance in future.
:lolsign::lolsign::lolsign: