PDA

View Full Version : Speakers Questions

The Vinyl Adventure
10-08-2009, 11:59
In our bedroom me and the missis currently use my iphone docked in a pure dock plugged into a tripath. the speakers i am using ar a pair of tannoy fr's which are ss rear speakers. for what they are suposed to be used for they are fine for the money (i paid £22 for them), but using them in the way i am currently doing is showing them up for what they are in real terms... Sh1te!

mooching throught that decible dungeon site i came accros those OB speakers he made for £50 but decided they would be to far out of my woodworking comfort zone.

investigating these open baffle theings ferther i found a site where it apeared that the guy had just put a full range driver in a bit of wood and then suported it at the back with 2 more bits of wood! this is way within my woodworking comfort zone!

surely it cant be as simple as that?
if it is, can anyone give me any pointers on materials? (for aprox £50 i havent got much to loose in trying)

alternativly, concidering i have no atatchment to these tannoys, is there anything i could do to make them better... could they be made into open baffle speakers?

please excuse my complete ignorance here, i know absolutly sod all about this subject!!

twelvebears
10-08-2009, 12:26
Hi Hamish.

While OB designs can sound wonderful, they are, by nature of their very design, likely to be more fussy about room positioning than more conventional designs, especially with regard bass performance.

I don't know how big your bedroom is, or how much freedom you have to play around with positioning, so you may want to consider this before you get out your jigsaw and tape measure...

The Vinyl Adventure
10-08-2009, 15:51
the bedroom is bigger than the lounge and although the missis wouldnt be 2 happy with them permanently set up i could move them into position for listening times i guess?

Puffin
10-08-2009, 17:39
Mr Decibel Dungeon had some open baffles going free, but you have to collect from Somerset.

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=66547