PDA

View Full Version : Spotify Help, Please.

DaveK
04-08-2009, 20:59
Hi All,
I'm afraid that I'm about to prove what a numptie newbie I am, again. I have read a lot on this forum about Spotify so I thought that I would give it a try. I like to think that, having messed about with computers since the Sinclair Spectrum 48K days, that I can usually work out how to get a programme started at least, but not this time.
The programme (free version) downloaded and installed OKand the opening window appeared. I clicked on one of the CD icons which opened up a track list. I clicked/double clicked on one of the tracks and it appeared to play - progress bar moving L to R and countdown timer going, volume turned up max but no sound. Exiting the programme and opening up SonicStage, iTunes and FooBar, in turn, resulted in the expected sound coming from the speakers, but nothing from Spotify. It looks as if Spotify has to be told which output to use to send the music signal to my DAC7520 but I can't find any dialogue boxes, Options or Preferences which will enable me to do this.
What am I doing wrong or not doing right please - any polite suggestions?
Thanks for anyhelp.
Cheers,

Alex_UK
04-08-2009, 21:07
I've had no problems Dave, and have just setup a fresh install after setting up my Caiman - "it just works" - are you on XP or Vista, or something else? (not sure that Sinclair Basic is supported though!)

10 Print "I don't think you're doing anything wrong but I'll check my installation for clues"
20 Goto 10

Alex_UK
04-08-2009, 21:11
(Sorry, I just assumed you are a Windows PC user, you could of course be on Linux or a Mac user - no offence intended to anyone who hasn't sold their soul to Mr Gates like me...)

DaveK
04-08-2009, 21:19
I've had no problems Dave, and have just setup a fresh install after setting up my Caiman - "it just works" - are you on XP or Vista, or something else? (not sure that Sinclair Basic is supported though!)

10 Print "I don't think you're doing anything wrong but I'll check my installation for clues"
20 Goto 10

Thanks Alex (I think !:scratch: )
I'm running Vista Home Premium fully updated and everything else runs fine. I'll leave the DOS and Basic alone for the time being :lolsign: .
Cheers,

Alex_UK
04-08-2009, 21:41
Well there doesn't appear to be any options in Spotify to route audio to a certain device, I'm struggling a bit as my music client laptop is XP, but presume you've checked the "USB Audio Device" all looks ok through Control Panel -> System -> Device Manager? - though if itunes is working it probably isn't a hardware/driver problem... Hmmm always tricky to try and imagine the problem remotely. Presume you've tried uninstall/re-install - making sure no other programs are open? If not, give that a go - uninstall, then reboot - don't open anything, just run the spotify installer and see how that goes.

Alex_UK
04-08-2009, 21:46
Me again... see you posted on this thread - http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?p=55483#post55483 - did you install the STADS/QSS ? If you did, whilst not a "smoking gun" it could be connected - if not, then maybe worth a try if all else fails.

DaveK
04-08-2009, 22:48
Me again... see you posted on this thread - http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?p=55483#post55483 - did you install the STADS/QSS ? If you did, whilst not a "smoking gun" it could be connected - if not, then maybe worth a try if all else fails.

Hi Alex,
Thanks for your continuing interest but the problem is now resolved. Stratmangler (Chris) rang me and we talked our way through it together. Briefly, ('cos it's past my bedtime :lol:), I needed to go into Control Panel, Sounds and there are umpteen options for outputting the sound (Vaio MM PC).
We chose USB as default 'cos my 7520 is connected by USB and 'Hey Presto', sound emitted from each speaker.
Thanks again.
Cheers,

Alex_UK
05-08-2009, 06:06
You must have a lot of extra things installed than I have then, I only get one option there on my Vista Laptop, but as I said earlier, I have a dedicated "music client" laptop connected to the Beresford which runs XP which wasn't comparing apples with apples. Glad you are sorted.

Going off topic a bit, I was very surprised at how good Spotify sounds for the free version, and the adverts aren't that intrusive, (1 every 4 or 5 tracks) so not sure I feel compelled to pay for the premium service just yet, mainly because they still have some way to go with the back catalogue IMO (as an example, one of my favourite artists is Sam Brown (big 80's hit "Stop" if you don't know her) and apart from that first album and her "Greatest Hits" there is not much else on Spotify, certainly 5 solo albums short, and then collaborations and other projects that are missing, but I guess it will only improve the more popular it gets.

I think the idea of sharing playlists is very clever - maybe we could do an AoS one where everyone puts on one of their favourite test tracks or something? Anyway, glad you're all Spotified up! Enjoy!

Terry
05-08-2009, 08:05
You must have a lot of extra things installed than I have then, I only get one option there on my Vista Laptop, but as I said earlier, I have a dedicated "music client" laptop connected to the Beresford which runs XP which wasn't comparing apples with apples. Glad you are sorted.

Going off topic a bit, I was very surprised at how good Spotify sounds for the free version, and the adverts aren't that intrusive, (1 every 4 or 5 tracks) so not sure I feel compelled to pay for the premium service just yet, mainly because they still have some way to go with the back catalogue IMO (as an example, one of my favourite artists is Sam Brown (big 80's hit "Stop" if you don't know her) and apart from that first album and her "Greatest Hits" there is not much else on Spotify, certainly 5 solo albums short, and then collaborations and other projects that are missing, but I guess it will only improve the more popular it gets.

I think the idea of sharing playlists is very clever - maybe we could do an AoS one where everyone puts on one of their favourite test tracks or something? Anyway, glad you're all Spotified up! Enjoy!

Ahhhh - Sam Brown Fantastic !!!
I love the track off 'Concert for George' Horse to the water !!
Her dad Joe is brilliant too !!!

Alex_UK
05-08-2009, 12:48
Ahhhh - Sam Brown Fantastic !!!
I love the track off 'Concert for George' Horse to the water !!
Her dad Joe is brilliant too !!!

I don't know that performance Terry - Google here I come! Her 3rd album was brilliant - "43 minutes" - the original release only sold about 1,000 - has since been "rediscovered" once she came back into the spotlight and reissued - it was a dark time for her as her mum had just died, but then doesn't that often lead to the best creativity? If you can find "No Man is an Island" anywhere (it was the B-side to the single "Mindworks" - it's worth finding the 12" or CD single though, as it has 4 tracks) it's a great stereo image tester...

Terry
05-08-2009, 12:59
Thanks for the info on the Sam Brown tracks i will see if i can get them.
The 'Horse to the water' track is a live performance and i think first done
by George Harrison. I have it on MP3 format if that is any good to you ?

smithy
09-08-2009, 19:06
Just connected up Spotify for the kids mainly ,Behringer UCA 202 via USB into the amp,excellent for exploring new music.Only thing that threw me was the volume was quite low so initially nothing happened.

Alex_UK
09-08-2009, 21:02
Thanks for the info on the Sam Brown tracks i will see if i can get them.
The 'Horse to the water' track is a live performance and i think first done
by George Harrison. I have it on MP3 format if that is any good to you ?

Found it, thanks Terry for the offer. Great performance, googled it and someone had it on you tube