PDA

View Full Version : pre amp to my pre amp....?

The Vinyl Adventure
04-08-2009, 20:28
my beresford is now once again plugged into my yamaha 759 before it gets to the naim 82

it goes into the ss amp via one of the normal line in's, it then goes out the preamp output, and then into the naim via 3 meters of qed basic interconnect

this is by no means an ideal solution but i have broke the cable that used to go direct from dac to 82

does anyone know how good the preamp part of the yam is likely to be?
i was intending on buying a better interconnect to go from the yam to the 82, but now the one going from the 7520 to the 82 is broke i need 2 new cables, unless.... if the yam pre is up to scratch i could just get the one and stick to the way im doing things now...

i know realistically im the only person who can answer this by useing these clever flaps of skin on the sides of my head... im just interested to know other peoples views on the predicament

alb
04-08-2009, 22:40
I'm a bit confused here.

What's the difference between the cable that goes from the Yam to the Naim, and the broken cable that used to go from the DAC to the Naim?

The Vinyl Adventure
04-08-2009, 22:45
i used to have a decent cable (cant remember what it was but i was always happy it) but i broke it
the cable that goes from the yam to the naim is a cheapy one. other wise they are the same type of cable

The Vinyl Adventure
04-08-2009, 22:47
ignor most of the post, im confused by it myself
what i want to know is how good is the pre-amp part of the yam 759?

DSJR
04-08-2009, 22:54
Unless you don't have a turntable, in which case the BNC "phono" inputs will be line level, you'll be using the ghastly old-fashioned DIN sockets, which prevent a decent gauge of wire to be used..

Flashback sales seem to do a good DIN-phono (and matching phono-phono) cable and they don't cost the earth either. If you can't make your own, you'd have to go a long way to better them (unless Mark Grant does a Din-Phono the equivalent of his phono interconnects). if they were sold via dealers, their £30 wires would be getting on for £90rrp.

Old Naim preamp circuits benefit from a high input impedance, which should allow for a bit of length of interconnect I reckon.

Don't know about the Yamaha being in the circuit. Try not to use it if possible.