PDA

View Full Version : Review: ProAc Future Point Five speakers

jandl100
22-03-2008, 08:48
I bought these on eBay at the weekend - they retail at £3500. Ex-Dem from AudioVation in Huddersfield - I spoke to them a couple of times about delivery - we are talking Deep-Yorkshire here! - I could barely understand them, and they had the same problem with me! Nice folks to deal with, though.

These are the babies of Pro-Ac's top-of-the-line Future range. 3 speakers - my Future Point 5, a Future Point 1 (6 inches taller) and the Point 2 (a lot bigger).

From what I have read, the Future series are the speakers that Stuart Tyler (ProAc founder & boss) has always wanted to make - they are his dream come true, apparently. But for some reason they have received very little publicity (apart from a Stereophile review for the Future One back in 2000 which came up with one significant criticism and a rave) and are not at all widely known. I'm definitely a little baffled by that after an initial listen. These are great speakers!

____

OK - so what have we got here? .....

Quite an unusual design ... from the front the impression is quite imposing, 42 inches high, and 18 inches wide (at the bottom rear where they are at their widest). One Big Muther!

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii114/jandl100/ProacFuture3.jpg

But look at them from the side and they look like just half a speaker!!

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii114/jandl100/ProacFuturesystem.jpg

A mere 9 inches deep at the base, tapering to about 1 inch at the top!
They are kept from toppling over by a pair of metal brackets at the bottom rear.

The secret here is that the tweeter and the midrange are open baffle - no rear panel to the speaker behind those drivers.

The bass unit is in a sealed enclosure (not open baffle) with a port on the bottom directly facing the floor. the bass enclosure takes up something like the bottom 60% of the cabinet height.

4 cones are supplied to keep each speaker at the correct height above the floor for the port to work properly.

The speaker has a weird cross-section - 18 inches wide at the back, 10 inches at the front, and sloping sides to make them meet up! .....
____
\___/ - that sort of shape.

Oh, and as you can see, they've got a ribbon tweeter.

The specs are 87dB/W, 28Hz-30KHz (no tolerances stated), 8 ohms.

____

So, how do they sound?

Well, I've only had them a day and for most of that I had a bad head cold, but mid-evening yesterday my ears started to unclog and I began to appreciate what these can do.

Initial impressions are of a more 'sophisticated' and natural sound than other Proacs, with a nicely 3D soundstage when they are pointing directly at you.
I have previously owned ProAc Response 2 & 3 speakers, and have heard more recent offerings in the Response series at Shows. The Response series are great speakers, no doubt of that imho. But this example of the Futures is even better, I think.

Very detailed - that ribbon tweeter is excellent. Tonally gorgeous - naturally rich and fruity! And the bass appears surprisingly deep for what is quite a small bass enclosure volume. 28Hz? - maybe. Very high up on my list of audio priorities is 3D soundstaging and image focus - and these babies excel in that department.

But do they rock, I hear many of you asking?! I don't know yet, my listening so far has been limited to classical and a blockbuster SciFi DVD (Sunshine - crap film, really!). I'll try out some 'lectric-geetar and bass thrashing later today.

Setup is critical for these it seems - for best imaging they need to be facing directly at you. But they don't seem very bothered about the distance from the rear wall, which surprises me, especially given their open to the rear top end. I guess the floor firing bass port helps here. I've currently got the set up with about 30 iches from the back wall. Much more experimentation to be done here.

They seem quite fussy about speaker cable - with multi-stranded NVA LS3 they are a bit vague & woolly in the imaging department, but with solid core LFD Spiroflex 1 they sound very nicely focussed indeed. (Sorry you CUBs* out there, but that's just the way I hear it).

They are certainly very valve friendly - I have a pair of 40wpc OTL valve monoblocks that chicken out pronto into difficult loads, and the Futures are sounding sublime with them at the moment with no limits to headroom that I have encountered yet.
I also have a pair of 80wpc NVA A80 solid state monoblocks - they sound very good (great amps!), but initial impressions are that they are more outclassed than usual by the valve amps.

Looks like my recent speaker quest may well have come to a close
- I suspect the ProAcs will be doing the music for me for the next 6 months or so! :)

I'll post more about them as and when!

________

* CUB = Cable UnBeliever

spendorman
22-03-2008, 09:16
Are those JR150 in the pic?

jandl100
22-03-2008, 10:55

No - they are the smaller JR149. They are up for sale - £240!

I have a pair of JR150 also - for sale in the Private Ads http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=339 :)

spendorman
24-03-2008, 11:05
I should have been able to see that, I have two pairs of 149s, the ones in your pick look a little stretched, optical illusion perhaps

gary
14-07-2008, 19:38
Love the Future 0.5s have had a set for about a year now and they are a truly incredible speaker enjoy because when you hear other speakers after listening to them for a while everything else just sounds too in your face and just not as nice to listen too

jandl100
15-07-2008, 06:53
Hi Gary

I'm glad you are enjoying them, but they just weren't for me at all. Imaging was too diffuse, a subtle effect that drove me to distraction after a while! I guess I like a more direct and in your face presentation! :)

They are now owned by a really nice guy near Manchester, and I've moved on to a pair of Bowers Active One speakers (which I like a lot), after having a short dalliance with some Quad 57 stats. ;)

gary
15-07-2008, 21:08
Hi Jerry

Thats what makes hi fi such a personal thing I guess I love the sound of the ProAcs and have heard them get better and better as I have upgraded the rest of my kit.
I am not sure what you meant by diffuse on imaging I love the wide soundstage that these speakers achieve and find them to be really good at imaging

jandl100
16-07-2008, 10:05
Yup, Gary, the Future Point Fives are IMO superb in many ways, but you put your finger, I think, on the way in which our tastes differ when you said "everything else just sounds too in your face" - I guess I like a more explicit sound.

I suspect it's the open baffle nature of the mid and tweeter drivers - the back wave gives a more diffuse presentation - I have the same problem with my Quad 57s - I prefer things more sharply focussed. I'd be happy to concede that you rarely hear sharply focussed sound live, but for me that compensates for the lack of visual placement cues that you get at a concert, I suspect.

Marco
14-08-2008, 00:30
Yup, Gary, the Future Point Fives are IMO superb in many ways, but you put your finger, I think, on the way in which our tastes differ when you said "everything else just sounds too in your face" - I guess I like a more explicit sound.

I suspect it's the open baffle nature of the mid and tweeter drivers - the back wave gives a more diffuse presentation - I have the same problem with my Quad 57s - I prefer things more sharply focussed.

Ditto. After hearing Gary's Proacs I would concur entirely with the above. They are excellent in many ways but in the final analysis somewhat too laid back sounding for my tastes, and that incidentally was with the Naim gear Gary was using not the Yaqin valve amp I brought round to his place :)

Marco.

gary
17-08-2008, 00:24
Marco the Yaqin was even more laid back and softer sounding than the naim, next time you are up I will take you round to My bros so you can hear this system in a different room I think it will surprise you I am finding the room acoustics are sapping the sound making it a very hard room to fill, but so far naim gear was not only better but miles better and I was expecting the opposite from the valves it doesn't figure as I respect your experience having lived with and experienced lot's of hi end kit over the years, so the result we got was a bit strange considering you rate the yaqin

Marco
17-08-2008, 07:07
Gary,

Marco the Yaqin was even more laid back and softer sounding than the naim...

Yes - because of the Proacs :)

This is not how it sounds in my system, or any system I've used it in other than yours/your brothers, given that we heard his CDS3/282/Hicap/250 instead of your CDX/102/180.

Naim gear is also usually always "miles better" than anything else in the context of a Naim system ;)

By all means next time we can listen to the gear at your brother's place. Hopefully by then the Yaqin will be fully modified and results might be very different.

Marco.

jandl100
17-08-2008, 07:20
I'd agree with Marco, there. Naim very much has its 'own sound' ... so if it's taken as the benchmark all others must fall short just because they are bound to be different.

I had a demo of a full Naim/Neat system the other week, it was pretty damn stunning on amplified music, which was what was demoed first - I thought I could definitely see a Naim system in my future :) - but some classical tunes were then played and it fell rather short, imho. :scratch: (Actually, that's being a tad polite). ;)

I had a chat with the dealer ... he said, "Yes, I rarely dem the Naim kit on classical. It's impressive on rock & blues, though!"

Horses for courses, once again.

Cotlake
17-08-2008, 18:42
Gary,
Yes - because of the Proacs :)
Marco.

Not necessarily. The speaker cables can potentially have an enormous influence. I've found that in my own system and also when setting up the WD room for the Bristol Show. Three years back the system was set up with a pair of cables (I don't recall what they were) that cost a couple of grand. Even after warm up it sounded awful. I substituted with my home brew 3/6 pence CAT5 'Twisted Twins' and all of the sudden we had synergy. There maybe more than one issue with your findings and it might be more than just the amp and the speakers.

Marco
17-08-2008, 20:09
You're right, Greg. There are other potential anomalies which could have skewed results and cables could have been one of them. I would have to say though that Gary's Chord Signatures worked exceptionally well with the Proacs. Chord cables normally possess quite a bright sonic signature but with the Proacs slightly laid back sound it produced a synergistic balance.

Marco.