PDA

View Full Version : New Films you want to See at the CINEMA....

Pages : [1] 2

Marco
04-10-2014, 20:46
Want to see this when it comes out at the end of the month, as the previews look stunning:

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/sep/06/nightcrawler-review-jake-gyllenhaal-toronto-film-festival

Marco.

struth
04-10-2014, 20:55
Want to see this when it comes out at the end of the month, as the previews look stunning:

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/sep/06/nightcrawler-review-jake-gyllenhaal-toronto-film-festival

Marco.

So your not watching it right now:eyebrows:

Sounds pretty morally corrupt tbh; quite distasteful......whens it released :lol:

struth
04-10-2014, 20:59
UK release is 31 October Marco.

Marco
04-10-2014, 21:08
That’s why I said end of the month, dude :)

I watched a trailer when I went to see The Equaliser, and it looked AWSOME! Just my type of thing….

Marco.

struth
04-10-2014, 21:23
Just watched it on Utube; fortunately it was not in Flash as I dont have it enabled.....it is very atmospheric and seedy....may be very good....almost creepy......I'll wait and see if the DVD is cheap enough to buy(being a cheapskate)....

Marco
05-10-2014, 04:04
Just watched it on Utube; fortunately it was not in Flash as I dont have it enabled.....it is very atmospheric and seedy....may be very good....almost creepy......I'll wait and see if the DVD is cheap enough to buy(being a cheapskate)....

Precisely…. Looks to be pretty violent and gory, too - so for me it ticks all the boxes! :eyebrows:

Is there a section here for films you want to go and see at the cinema? If not, you may wish to create one ;)

Marco.

struth
05-10-2014, 15:23
Share your Films you want to see and future releases here.:)

Gazjam
05-10-2014, 15:33
Chris Nolan's Interstellar top of the list.
Big fan of his films, even the Batman trilogy.
Actually, the second one with a trim here and there could have been a classic.

Speaking of Batman, the new Zack Snyder Batman/Superman has to be one seen on the biggest screen.
Looking fwd to that one.

struth
05-10-2014, 15:36
Chris Nolan's Interstellar top of the list.
Big fan of his films, even the Batman trilogy.
Actually, the second one with a trim here and there could have been a classic.

Speaking of Batman, the new Zack Snyder Batman/Superman has to be one seen on the biggest screen.
Looking fwd to that one.

My name's Michael Caine is in that I think.....summat to do with wormholes I think so I'll be up for it when it comes to DVD time

Tarzan
06-10-2014, 05:31
Will definitely be going to see ' Fury' Brad Pitt's new offering.:)

Out very soon!

struth
06-10-2014, 10:00
Will definitely be going to see ' Fury' Brad Pitt's new offering.:)

Out very soon!

Yes, that,all either really good or really bad...I hope its the former and intend getting the DVD release next year. Clint Eastwood,s son Scott is in it.

There was a "spat" excuse the pun, between Penn, Shia LaBeouf and Eastwood where Scotty was spitting in the tank they classed as home. They eventually gave him severe abuse and told him to clean it up.
Later when they read the script fully they realised the Scott was only doing as he had been told and as Pitt says, both felt like "Knobs"

Pitt reckons Shia LaBeouf is the best actor he has ever seen. All this adds up to a potentially super film.

Spectral Morn
06-10-2014, 10:33
Interstellar

Looking forward to that :)

Not sure about Batman vs Superman - could be good, could be a huge waste of money.

Mockingjay - last of the Hunger Games films should be good, I enjoyed the last two.

Exodus - Gods and Kings - looks potentially good if they stick to the story and don't do a Noah with it.

Regards Neil

struth
06-10-2014, 21:18
Exodus - Gods and Kings; It could be quite good, and sure it'll be better done than Noah.....Scott usually produces the goods

Tarzan
06-10-2014, 22:03
Yes, that,all either really good or really bad...I hope its the former and intend getting the DVD release next year. Clint Eastwood,s son Scott is in it.

There was a "spat" excuse the pun, between Penn, Shia LaBeouf and Eastwood where Scotty was spitting in the tank they classed as home. They eventually gave him severe abuse and told him to clean it up.
Later when they read the script fully they realised the Scott was only doing as he had been told and as Pitt says, both felt like "Knobs"

Pitt reckons Shia LaBeouf is the best actor he has ever seen. All this adds up to a potentially super film.

Hi Grant, could not care less regarding the acting , it is the subject matter that appeals- the only original Tiger Tank to be used in a film so far........... and CGI for the rest of the film, no one wants to cop it in the last months of the greatest war of all time, those Tank chaps were so brave.

Marco
05-11-2014, 22:30
Went to see ‘Nightcrawler’ yesterday and wasn’t disappointed. Great film and thoroughly recommended :thumbsup:

Marco.

destroysall
06-11-2014, 07:00
I definitely want to see Interstellar. I'm seeing Big Hero 6 tomorrow, not sure how that's going to turn out. Exodus, Mockingjay, and Nightcrawler look good too.

Barry
05-12-2014, 00:26
Have just returned from seeing ‘The Imitation Game’ – a bio-pic about Alan Turing’s wartime work at Bletchley Park and the breaking of the Enigma codes.

Excellent – 9/10, a ‘must see’ film.

The choice was either that or ‘Interstellar’, but my girlfriend doesn’t like sci-fi, so it was above. Not thinking it would be of much interest to a woman, I was surprised she enjoyed the film so much. I have a few very minor quibbles about the film, but nothing to discourage anyone from seeing it.

struth
05-12-2014, 09:52
Look forward to its dvd release Barry

Eagle owl
11-01-2015, 07:47
American Sniper.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2179136/

Barry
11-01-2015, 20:21
Saw 'Mr Turner' yesterday - a biopic about the artist J M W Turner, starring Timithy Spall as Turner and directed by the inestimable Mike Leigh.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._M._W._Turner

Spall is brilliant as the laconic Turner (in fact most of Spall's dialogue consists merely of grunts), a genius of a painter who is so obsessed and focussed with his work and the subject matter of his paintings, his social graces leave much to be desired. I found the film hard going because of this: especially the portrayal of Turner's selfish, exploitative relationship with his put-upon houskeeper and his detachement from, and disinterest in, his wife and children.

To say the film comes across as somewhat dreary would be misleading, as Leigh has captured life in Victorian England well; and unless you were extremely wealthy, life then was drab. The filmic reconstruction of the some of the subject matter Turner painted is fabulous: Leigh must have used a good location scout. The towing away of the "Fighting Temere" (one of Turner's most famous paintings) by a steam tug set against a dramatic sky is superb (and doesn't seem to have used CGI)!

So if you are an admirer of Turner's work - I recommend you see this film.

9/10

awkwardbydesign
14-02-2015, 18:58
Been to see 4 films in the last couple of weeks. Mortdecai, Ex Machina, Shaun the Sheep and Jupiter Ascending. In first place - Shaun the Sheep! Well, Ex Machina was pretty good too, but don't bother with the other two.

Marco
08-07-2015, 18:20
Went to see the new Terminator film (with OAP Arnie) last night. Good, superficial, fun in 3D! :cool:

Marco.

Spectral Morn
19-08-2016, 11:18
Arrival (11/11/2016)

Full trailer just revealed. This film, at least for me, has come out of nowhere and I know the conspiracy therorist are touting it as the film to prepare the world for a real out in the open first contact :doh: :mental:

Anyway regardless of that this looks like an intelligent, thoughtful film - proof in the pudding is the eating so we will see.

tFMo3UJ4B4g

Macca
19-08-2016, 13:15
and I know the conspiracy therorist are touting it as the film to prepare the world for a real out in the open first contact :doh: :mental:

]

That's what they said about Close Encounters but the aliens don't seem to be in any rush to land on the White House lawn.

Gazjam
19-08-2016, 16:45
Arrivals on my list too Neil.

The director has got the Blade Runner sequel gig, and after seeing Sicario (and no doubt this too) hes the best man for the job.

struth
19-08-2016, 17:14
That's what they said about Close Encounters but the aliens don't seem to be in any rush to land on the White House lawn.

they are always landing on my back lawn ;)

RE Arrival, I await it's Arrival :D the trailer is on amazon

Macca
19-08-2016, 17:36
they are always landing on my back lawn ;)

Don't worry. As long as they are not probing you too much it should be fine.

Spectral Morn
19-08-2016, 18:37
Arrivals on my list too Neil.

The director has got the Blade Runner sequel gig, and after seeing Sicario (and no doubt this too) hes the best man for the job.

Didn't know about that, and I haven't seen Sicario. The Arrival looks very good.

struth
19-08-2016, 18:40
https://youtu.be/EU6gPaQrQrQ

struth
05-09-2016, 09:52
Anthropoid is one i would have liked to have gone to see... Was well rated, and about the assassination of Heidrich in ww2. Look forward to its mainstream dvd release though.

Marco
14-03-2017, 17:37
Going to see this on Friday. Check out the trailer, looks good: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5052448/

:cool:

Marco.

Marco
11-05-2017, 20:21
Going to see Alien Covenant tomorrow night - should hopefully be good! :)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/922/MRq5Wr.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/pmMRq5Wrj)

Marco.

Minstrel SE
15-05-2017, 21:17
Yes please let us know what Alien Covenant is like.

Ive just done an inventory of my dvd collection totalling 166. Thats not mainly films but I think I own most of the real classics.

I dont really go to the Cinema. Im more into waiting for the bargain bucket. Im glad I did with films like Prometheus which I found very poor.

I look at IMdb and Rotten tomatoes and am always amazed at the range of review marks for the same film. Just recently I picked up Twelve Monkeys and Hurt Locker (£1 each) which again I thought were generally rubbish. One had won an acadamy award (Why??) and the other was well overrated by some people. I just give them away because only the best films, TV shows and comedy acts stay in my collection

Is it me or are films generally getting worse in a shallow, throwaway age?

I respect masters of the craft like Stanley Kubrik

Anyway I will always keep an eye out for recommendations but usually wait for the dvd

Best wishes
Martin

HackneyRF
16-05-2017, 05:51
Yes please let us know what Alien Covenant is like.

Please do, but no spoilers! ;)

Marco
16-05-2017, 09:10
I really enjoyed it, but not quite as much as the first Alien films, the style and 'vibe' of which was more to my liking. Alien Covenant isn't as overtly scary (although in parts is still rather dark and menacing), but takes a slightly different direction, in terms of how the storyline is portrayed, but one which is still compelling and true to the concept of the original.

I don't think the acting is quite on a par with that contained in the first Alien films, and in that respect certainly no-one has replaced Sigourney Weaver, but it's strong enough to hold one's attention, with the part played by the new 'synthetic' android, David, the best of the lot, which indeed is engrossing and central to the whole plot.

All in all, AC, rather like Prometheus, takes a more thoughtful and reflective approach to the whole Alien saga, but solves little of the key questions left hanging from Prometheus [whilst further creating many more of its own], and is somewhat short on 'thrills and spills', in the way of the first two Alien films, but nevertheless makes for compelling viewing, and should be considered as essential to watch for any fan of the Alien series, paving the way for yet more drama to come in future.

Marco.

Ian7633
16-05-2017, 10:25
Nice review and thank you for no spoilers. The first Alien film is a very tough act to follow but I have enjoyed the whole series. Really looking forward to seeing AC.

farflungstar
16-05-2017, 10:29
I listened to an interview with Ridley Scott on the radio yesterday - his intention is to create the same franchise as Star Wars.... Hmmmm....

HackneyRF
16-05-2017, 11:33
Yeah nice review Marco, thanks mate. Going on Thursday evening, really looking forward to it.

Marco
16-05-2017, 19:27
No worries, chaps, enjoy and let us know what you think! :cool:

Marco.

TazSob
17-05-2017, 02:14
Going to see this on Friday. Check out the trailer, looks good: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5052448/

Marco.

Saw this movie last week, very well made and unlike anything I'd watched before. Give the movie 8/10

rigger67
17-05-2017, 08:57
I saw the new Alien movie last night and was very disappointed.

I loved Prometheus and if you watch the original Alien immediately afterwards, it all flows smoothly and logically.

I'll be penning a full review for the local free-paper I write for later this week, but this is what I said on Facebook after someone asked me for a quick, spoiler-free summary last night :

I'll save a full review for the next edition of The And Guide but I will say it all felt a bit unnecessary. There was a nugget of a good story there in terms of how the alien evolved but it just wasn't that well executed. It didn't feel like an Alien canon movie till about an hour in, then it picked up for the second half but the ending was signposted way before it came.
Disappointing compared to Prometheus. Still a must-see for fans. Maybe it'll be better a second time ?

Marco
17-05-2017, 09:17
It didn't feel like an Alien canon movie till about an hour in, then it picked up for the second half but the ending was signposted way before it came.

I'd agree with that. It's a slow starter, for sure, then things pick up nicely, but the level of intrigue or suspense, let alone scare factor, isn't anything like on a par with the first two films of the series. Plus, as you say, the ending was rather obvious.

However, all in all, it's still a good watch and undoubtedly will be enjoyed by fans of Alien, if for no other reason than for the sake of 'completeness' :)

Marco.

rigger67
17-05-2017, 10:10
... will be enjoyed by fans of Alien, if for no other reason than for the sake of 'completeness'

That's what I thought until I read this morning that there will be more movies in the series and they will be overseen by Ridley Scott :scratch:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/0/alien-covenant-next-ridley-scott-many-alien-sequels-will/

I'm a huge fan of the original and even like 3 and 4, but Prometheus and Aliens are right up there with the first one for me.
This one just kinda hinted at greatness and flexed its muscle a bit to tease us, but in the end I thought it was a bit of a let-down.

Still way better than most new releases and certainly 80% of scifi films that have been released in the last decade.

Marco
17-05-2017, 10:31
That's what I thought until I read this morning that there will be more movies in the series and they will be overseen by Ridley Scott :scratch:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/0/alien-covenant-next-ridley-scott-many-alien-sequels-will/

Yeah mate, you were saying, and that's interesting. It's all about coining it in though, as a money spinner!

In terms of "completeness", what I meant was as far having seen all the Alien films released to date, so in that respect, if someone has watched every one apart from AC, then they'd go and see the latter, to 'complete' having watched what's been released so far :)

Marco.

rigger67
17-05-2017, 11:13
what I meant was as far having seen all the Alien films released to date, so in that respect, if someone has watched every one apart from AC, then they'd go and see the latter, to 'complete' having watched what's been released so far

Oh, okay - gotcha :)

A bit like the Carry Ons .. you know any of them post-1970 are gonna be crap, but you had to watch them once just to "complete the set" :D

struth
17-05-2017, 12:26
Convenience and Dick were both good

rigger67
17-05-2017, 12:36
Convenience and Dick were both good

Not a sentence you read very often, but yeah I'll give you those two ... movies, I mean :eyebrows:

Roy S
17-05-2017, 12:41
A bit like the Carry Ons .. you know any of them post-1970 are gonna be crap

Liked 'Behind' with Elke Sommer, 'How are your doings?'

Marco
17-05-2017, 12:56
Oh, okay - gotcha :)

A bit like the Carry Ons .. you know any of them post-1970 are gonna be crap, but you had to watch them once just to "complete the set" :D

Yeah, or the same with music... You're a big Bob Dylan fan, and so even though you might think his later stuff sucks, compared with his early music, but as somewhat of an anal 'completist' you buy the later albums anyway! :)

Marco.

rigger67
17-05-2017, 14:08
Yeah, or the same with music... You're a big Bob Dylan fan, and so even though you might think his later stuff sucks, compared with his early music, but as somewhat of an anal 'completist' you buy the later albums anyway! :)

Marco.

Oh god, don't start me on that ...

Prince
Bowie
Yes

So many albums .. but not much quality.

I've culled a lot of it because I knew I was never going to listen to it again, but yes I do know exactly what you mean.

Never really got Dylan though. I think I've got Blonde On Blonde and his first G.Hits and that's it ..

Minstrel SE
17-05-2017, 20:47
I just get the feeling that these films were signed off by accountants as having a low risk of commercial failure....kerching cash in!

Whether you like it or not, Prometheus was panned by many critics and general audience members. Was there a need for a new Alien or Bladerunner film? Bladerunner sounds interesting but they had better get it right.

I think its a dangerous game to be playing if they dont get it spot on. I want to see a work of art with a true passion for film making. More often than not we are getting an exercise in ticking boxes.

Roy S
31-05-2017, 19:39
Went to see Guardians of the Galaxy 2 today, great bit of hokum, thoroughly enjoyed it :)

Marco
11-09-2017, 22:15
Will be going to see this on Friday: http://www.odeon.co.uk/films/mother/17205/

Should hopefully be good! :)

Marco.

Marco
22-09-2017, 14:37
Didn't get a chance to see this film last week, so going tonight instead, then out for a curry and a few beers afterwards - can't wait! :cool:

XpICoc65uh0

Hopefully, it'll be suitably scary!!

Marco.

struth
22-09-2017, 15:04
Didn't get a chance to see this film last week, so going tonight instead, then out for a curry and a few beers afterwards - can't wait! :cool:

XpICoc65uh0

Marco.

Oh, I dont like the look of her... she's gonna do something........ weird:uhho:

narabdela
22-09-2017, 15:31

Marco.

Apparently it's a Marmite film. You'll either love it or...

http://www.evilenglish.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/305908d1359615600-madejski-miracle-wtf-shit_640_417_s_c1_center_top_0_0.jpg

Marco
22-09-2017, 18:44
Well... That was the most crazy, fucked-up film I've ever seen!! :eek::eek::mental::mental:

Marco.

walpurgis
22-09-2017, 19:12
Well... That was the most crazy, fucked-up film I've ever seen!! :eek::eek::mental::mental:

Marco.

Is that a thumbs up or thumbs down Marco? :)

Marco
22-09-2017, 19:18
Probably more down than up, mate... The jury's still out. Glad I seen it though, but it's one royal head-fuck!

Marco.

walpurgis
22-09-2017, 19:20
I'd probably like it then.

Marco
23-09-2017, 07:43
It's certainly 'out there', but not particularly in a way that I enjoyed. You might like it, though.

Glad I've seen it, however, as it's definitely 'different'.

Marco.

wee tee cee
21-12-2017, 17:31
Untouchable.....aint new ,french....subtitles

But the opening sequence with the paris ring road and Maserati police chase is worth the blu ray price alone...

Just saying-fine bit of cinema.

Hoping to get to the new star wars in the new year-the wee fella introduced me to the clone wars cartoons the other day-majik!!!

Gazjam
21-12-2017, 18:17
New Star Wars next up for me...
apparently its pretty tremendous.

Zoidburg
22-12-2017, 11:35
Star Wars Imax 3d tickets booked for Christmas eve for me & the mrs.

I've purposely stayed away from reading too much about it. I hope its worth the wait.

Marco
11-02-2018, 23:07
Going to see this on Wednesday at the flicks:

XFYWazblaUA

I like mad wee films like this! :D

Marco.

Marco
15-02-2018, 08:53
Well, I went to see the film last night with Del, and it was rather weird, but brilliant! :)

For those who enjoy a good fantasy adventure/love story, which is visually stunning, beautifully shot and well-acted, together with a superb depiction of 1960s America (especially some of the stunning cars around - a true golden era in many respects), mixed with a soupçon of Russian espionage, it comes HIGHLY recommended :cool:

Marco.

Tim
18-02-2018, 13:30
I think it's a brilliant work of art Marco, Sally Hawkins' performance for me was mesmerising, but I'm a fan of both her and of Guillermo del Toro.

It's an Oscar worthy film all round, the film, cinematography, acting and directing. Loved the soundtrack too.

rigger67
18-02-2018, 13:31
It's extremely erotic in parts too :eyebrows:

Marco
18-02-2018, 20:02
I think it's a brilliant work of art Marco, Sally Hawkins' performance for me was mesmerising, but I'm a fan of both her and of Guillermo del Toro.

It's an Oscar worthy film all round, the film, cinematography, acting and directing. Loved the soundtrack too.

I completely agree with all of that, Tim. It's one of the best films I've seen for a long time! Can't wait to watch it again at home, when it becomes downloadable on Sky :)

Marco.

Marco
18-02-2018, 20:05
It's extremely erotic in parts too :eyebrows:

Indeed, especially when she sets a timer to enjoy some 'bean flicking action' in the bath, whilst her breakfast is being cooked!:D

Marco.

struth
19-02-2018, 00:12
Disgusting. When's it on DVD ?[emoji23]

YNWaN
19-02-2018, 10:04
I’ve seen ‘The Shape of Water’ - very good - reminiscent of ‘City of Lost Children’ and ‘Delicatessen’.

Spectral Morn
19-02-2018, 10:09
Well, I went to see the film last night with Del, and it was rather weird, but brilliant! :)

For those who enjoy a good fantasy adventure/love story, which is visually stunning, beautifully shot and well-acted, together with a superb depiction of 1960s America (especially some of the stunning cars around - a true golden era in many respects), mixed with a soupçon of Russian espionage, it comes HIGHLY recommended :cool:

Marco.

Rather odd looking film, that could almost be a Hellboy prequel, similar look and settings. The creature also looks a little like a character in Hellboy as well - Abe Sapien.

In away I would rather this had been a new Hellboy film.

I plan on seeing it at some point.

struth
19-02-2018, 10:22
Doesnt sound like my cuppa tbh.

Spectral Morn
19-02-2018, 10:31
Doesnt sound like my cuppa tbh.

Hellboy is action adventure, very influenced by HP Lovecraft and the like, this film looks more Pans Labyrinth in its vibe - an excellent film.

Marco
19-02-2018, 20:50
Rather odd looking film, that could almost be a Hellboy prequel, similar look and settings. The creature also looks a little like a character in Hellboy as well - Abe Sapien.

In away I would rather this had been a new Hellboy film.

I plan on seeing it at some point.

I think you'd like it, Neil :)

Marco.

Marco
06-03-2018, 07:43
Going to see this on Friday:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5742374/

The reviews are good, so we'll see! :cool:

Marco.

Tim
06-03-2018, 08:42
Quite like Joaquin Phoenix, so I'll be seeing that next week too. Also looking forward to Lady Bird and Red Sparrow - busy week next week!

Marco
06-03-2018, 09:21
Yeah, it's a hard life, innit?:D:eyebrows:

Marco.

chris@panteg
06-03-2018, 10:35
I went to see the Shape of Water with my wife last week at Bicester VUE, my wife wasn't too keen thought it was strange and baffling, but I loved it, especially the wonderful cinematography.

Also the turning the fifties monster movie concept around, where the real monster was a human.

Marco
07-03-2018, 17:00
7XeK0rc_9a0

Looks fukkin' awesome! Unfortunately, I've discovered that it's on limited UK release, so only at the moment showing at selected cinemas, which unfortunately my local one isn't...

However, I've been advised to check back on Tuesday, when the new listings have been updated. Here's hoping it comes to Wrexham (or Chester)! :)

Marco.

Zoidburg
08-03-2018, 09:37
7XeK0rc_9a0

Looks fukkin' awesome! Unfortunately, I've discovered that it's on limited UK release, so only at the moment showing at selected cinemas, which unfortunately my local one isn't...

However, I've been advised to check back on Tuesday, when the new listings have been updated. Here's hoping it comes to Wrexham (or Chester)! :)

Marco.

Its showing at FACT in Liverpool which is where I intend on seeing it.

Marco
08-03-2018, 21:38
Interesting, Ben. I'd be willing to go there if it doesn't come to Wrexham. I intend to revisit it on Tuesday, when the listings are updated, and if it's still not being shown in Wrexham, I'll head to the 'pool :cool:

Marco.

Marco
13-03-2018, 20:58
Hi Ben,

Did you go and see it? No joy at Wrexham, so we're now booked in for Friday at Liverpool One. Going into Chinatown for a meal first, so should be good! :cool:

Marco.

Zoidburg
14-03-2018, 12:56
Hi Ben,

Did you go and see it? No joy at Wrexham, so we're now booked in for Friday at Liverpool One. Going into Chinatown for a meal first, so should be good! :cool:

Marco.

Hi Marco, No I've not seen it yet, maybe / hopefully this weekend.

If Chinese is in order do yourself a favour and visit Mr Chilli in Seel street.

https://mrchilli.co.uk/menu

Its authentic Sichuan Chinese (They will offer you 2 menus, ignore the UK one and concentrate on their traditional Sichuan menu). Double fried pork, Roast Duck & Chinese mushrooms, sliced noodles in Sichuan style are all favourites of ours. Its the best Chinese I've ever had and has been a staple of our eating out for about 6 years now. Its usually pretty busy with lots of local Chinese community which is generally a good sign.

Marco
14-03-2018, 13:53
Noted, Ben, and cheers for the recco... We'll defo give that a go! We normally go to Mei Mei, in Chinatown, which is also excellent, see here: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x487b21213f98fbab:0x3e6fe2a43ef033d9!2m22!2 m2!1i80!2i80!3m1!2i20!16m16!1b1!2m2!1m1!1e1!2m2!1m 1!1e3!2m2!1m1!1e5!2m2!1m1!1e4!2m2!1m1!1e6!3m1!7e11 5!4shttps://lh5.googleusercontent.com/p/AF1QipNL7QPTJCCFJiEzj6U03Jr6dh4BERg-crf-sHT3%3Dw469-h352-k-no!5smei+mei+liverpool+-+Google+Search&imagekey=!1e10!2sAF1QipNL7QPTJCCFJiEzj6U03Jr6dh4BE Rg-crf-sHT3&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjtnL6q-uvZAhWMzKQKHfvIA4oQoioImgEwCg

However, Mr Chilli looks like it could be equally as authentic and a nice change! We don't really like Westernised Chinese food, as it's all too 'samey' and boring. I'll let you know what the film's like then - don't worry, there'll be no spoilers! :cool:

Marco.

Zoidburg
14-03-2018, 14:13
Noted, Ben, and cheers for the recco... We'll defo give that a go! We normally go to Mei Mei, in Chinatown, which is also excellent, see here: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x487b21213f98fbab:0x3e6fe2a43ef033d9!2m22!2 m2!1i80!2i80!3m1!2i20!16m16!1b1!2m2!1m1!1e1!2m2!1m 1!1e3!2m2!1m1!1e5!2m2!1m1!1e4!2m2!1m1!1e6!3m1!7e11 5!4shttps://lh5.googleusercontent.com/p/AF1QipNL7QPTJCCFJiEzj6U03Jr6dh4BERg-crf-sHT3%3Dw469-h352-k-no!5smei+mei+liverpool+-+Google+Search&imagekey=!1e10!2sAF1QipNL7QPTJCCFJiEzj6U03Jr6dh4BE Rg-crf-sHT3&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjtnL6q-uvZAhWMzKQKHfvIA4oQoioImgEwCg

However, Mr Chilli looks like it could be equally as authentic and a nice change! We don't really like Westernised Chinese food, as it's all too 'samey' and boring. I'll let you know what the film's like then - don't worry, there'll be no spoilers! :cool:

Marco.

Yes I know Mei Mei Marco, but i'd only ever eaten their western menu in there (despite the Chinese people in there seemingly eating far more exotic & better looking food!). TBH we stopped going to Mei Mei when we discovered Mr Chilli.

Anyway hope you enjoy.

cheers.

Tim
14-03-2018, 14:18
7XeK0rc_9a0
Off to see it tomorrow :)

Got music at a listening event in a Norwegian Church tonight, with B&W 800's and CHORD gear - should be good.

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/55c9c12be4b0f1ce53289916/t/57da6be36a49631b7955e744/1473932270062/?format=750w

Marco
14-03-2018, 14:45
Looks good, mate. Is that in or near Cardiff? :)

Marco.

Tim
14-03-2018, 15:01
Cardiff Bay, couple of miles from me if I walk, 4 miles if I drive!

Marco
14-03-2018, 16:24
Walk it, and work off some of that beef! :lol::eyebrows:

Only kidding shweety, have a great night, mate :)

Marco.

Tim
14-03-2018, 17:24
I'd love to, but it's pissing it down and forecast to get worse :(

Tim
15-03-2018, 19:32
7XeK0rc_9a0

Well that's a film and a half Marco.

Very dark, disturbing, challenging, complex and thought provoking. I still haven't pieced it all together yet and I'll most definitely be seeing it again. Heck of a movie and heck of a performance by Joaquin Phoenix.

I hope you get to see it?

Marco
15-03-2018, 23:16
I'm going tomorrow to see it in Liverpool, mate - and after your comments, I'm now looking even MORE forward to it! I just knew that this film would likely be worth the effort of driving 40 miles to go and watch...;)

Marco.

narabdela
16-03-2018, 08:27
:stalks:

Very dark, disturbing, challenging, complex and thought provoking.

Well, the director is a Scottish female. It goes with the territory.:trust:

Marco
16-03-2018, 09:30
Lol - I know where you're coming from. When it comes to films, give me "dark and disturbing" every time, over 'light-hearted and cheery'!;)

Throw in some 'brutally deranged' and 'harrowing', and I'm as happy as a serial killer in an axe museum:eyebrows:

Marco [likes films that fuck with your head].

Tim
16-03-2018, 11:20
Haha, well I think you should like it then, certainly brutal and more than a liberal dusting of deranged . .

I'm going to try and see Lady Bird today, before seeing Mo Pitney and Ashley Campbell in Brum. Yeehaa ya'll

Marco
16-03-2018, 22:30
Well, that was, erm 'interesting'.... I shall say nowt until Ben's seen it. Oh, and Mr Chilli was top notch, btw! :thumbsup:

Marco.

Zoidburg
17-03-2018, 07:37
Well, that was, erm 'interesting'.... I shall say nowt until Ben's seen it. Oh, and Mr Chilli was top notch, btw! [emoji106]

Marco.I think we are seeing it tonight if all goes according to plan Marco. Glad u enjoyed Mr chilli too!

Sent from my CUBOT CHEETAH 2 using Tapatalk

Marco
17-03-2018, 09:58
Good stuff, Ben. It'll be interesting to see what you think of the film.

It's some size that Odeon complex in Liverpool ONE - about ten times that of the one in Wrexham! Feels rather cosmopolitan too, around there, with all the nice bars and restaurants. Cool vibe... Not been in Liverpool at night for years! It's very much like Glasgow is now :cool:

Mr Chilli was fab. Great food (nice and spicy, as I like it), pleasant staff, and full of Chinese people! We were the only 'Brits' in there, which is exactly how we like it.

The only thing was on the traditional Szechuan menu, aside from soups, there were only cold starters, which was a bit strange for us (no dim sum, like there is at Mei Mei - maybe dim sum isn't a Szechuan thing?) although the starters are very good, as were the mains, but the portions were HUGE! :eek:

I think they're definitely designed for sharing, such is the way Chinese people eat, which was tricky as my wife is veggie (she loved her stir-fried broccoli in garlic sauce)... So we had to take half it home in a 'doggy bag'. No bad thing though, as we can enjoy it again today for lunch! :)

We'll certainly go back again, particularly as they're open during the day, which is when we usually go shopping in Liverpool, and would defo recommend it to friends.

Marco.

Tim
17-03-2018, 10:15
I think they're definitely designed for sharing, such is the way Chinese people eat . .
That's something I must admit I never got used to, especially when you ordered something nice and got one mouthful before it was gone and then when you look around the table, you don't fancy what others have ordered!

I remember being in a really fancy restaurant in Hong Kong once and a Scottish lady who works out there ordered an amazing looking lamb dish. My old boss clearly thought it looked good too, so leaned over with his fork to which the girl hunched over, wrapped her arms around it saying "uhuh, this is mine" in a Gollum like tone. You should have seen the look on his face, funny as - he's definitely gone feral ;)

struth
17-03-2018, 10:17
That's something I must admit I never got used to, especially when you ordered something nice and got one mouthful before it was gone and then when you look around the table, you don't fancy what others have ordered!

I remember being in a really fancy restaurant in Hong Kong once and a Scottish lady who works out there ordered an amazing looking lamb dish. My old boss clearly thought it looked good too, so leaned over with his fork to which the girl hunched over, wrapped her arms around it saying "uhuh, this is mine" in a Gollum like tone. You should have seen the look on his face, funny as - he's definitely gone ferrel ;)

lol.. reminds me of a guy i worked with. he used to get a big chinese home from pub and if anyone went close to him, he would growl like a feral dog and wrap an arm around the food.:eek: he was pretty feral sober mind, and was positively dangerous drunk

Marco
17-03-2018, 10:58

Lol - I know exactly what you mean, but I rather like it, as I can eat just about anything, and with so much choice on a table with a large number of people eating at it, there's always something else just as nice (or different) to enjoy...:)

Different though, if you're only in two, and one of you is veggie, so I had to try and eat all of mine myself [the rather interestingly named 'sliced beef in hot and numbing sauce'], which was an impossibility, as it came in a bowl big enough to feed three people! :eek:

However, I will enjoy the rest of it today :cool:

Marco.

Zoidburg
17-03-2018, 12:05
Good stuff, Ben. It'll be interesting to see what you think of the film.

It's some size that Odeon complex in Liverpool ONE - about ten times that of the one in Wrexham! Feels rather cosmopolitan too, around there, with all the nice bars and restaurants. Cool vibe... Not been in Liverpool at night for years! It's very much like Glasgow is now :cool:

Mr Chilli was fab. Great food (nice and spicy, as I like it), pleasant staff, and full of Chinese people! We were the only 'Brits' in there, which is exactly how we like it.

The only thing was on the traditional Szechuan menu, aside from soups, there were only cold starters, which was a bit strange for us (no dim sum, like there is at Mei Mei - maybe dim sum isn't a Szechuan thing?) although the starters are very good, as were the mains, but the portions were HUGE! :eek:

I think they're definitely designed for sharing, such is the way Chinese people eat, which was tricky as my wife is veggie (she loved her stir-fried broccoli in garlic sauce)... So we had to take half it home in a 'doggy bag'. No bad thing though, as we can enjoy it again today for lunch! :)

We'll certainly go back again, particularly as they're open during the day, which is when we usually go shopping in Liverpool, and would defo recommend it to friends.

Marco.I'm glad you enjoyed Mr Chilli Marco, I've always found the food to be great and as you say with a good kick of chili in some of the dishes. As its generally just the 2 of us when we go we purposely order too much, take home a doggie bag and enjoy it for lunch the next day.

Liverpool really has changed a great deal in the 15 years I've lived here. When I first arrived here I was blown away by the friendliness of the people, the club scene was amazing for nights out and there were nice places to eat. Now im older and less bothered about banging clubs I find the city still caters for my every need. Very good independent and chain restaurants are everywhere, fact cinema (and odeon) shows almost everything I want to see and there are record shops dotted all over the place too. Liverpool 1 is very good for shopping too.

I know its not perfect but it does a lot that I like in a small convenient package.

Zoidburg
17-03-2018, 12:29
Tickets just booked for YWNRH tonight at 6.

Marco
17-03-2018, 12:41
I'm glad you enjoyed Mr Chilli Marco, I've always found the food to be great and as you say with a good kick of chili in some of the dishes. As its generally just the 2 of us when we go we purposely order too much, take home a doggie bag and enjoy it for lunch the next day.

Yeah, we tend to do that, too. The prices are also excellent, given the quality and quantity of the food, working out around half of what you'd pay in 'posh' Westernised Chinese restaurants for uninspiring bog-standard pap - and the vibe and friendliness of the staff is great, which for me is very important when eating out anywhere. We'll defo be back!

Liverpool really has changed a great deal in the 15 years I've lived here. When I first arrived here I was blown away by the friendliness of the people, the club scene was amazing for nights out and there were nice places to eat. Now im older and less bothered about banging clubs I find the city still caters for my every need. Very good independent and chain restaurants are everywhere, fact cinema (and odeon) shows almost everything I want to see and there are record shops dotted all over the place too. Liverpool 1 is very good for shopping too.

+1 (with bells on). I've always loved Liverpool, mainly for the openness and friendliness of the people (in that respect much like Glaswegians), and the city itself, in terms of its facilities, such as you mention, in recent times has just got better and better - even down by the docks now is a happening place to be, and I just love the bohemian feel and cultural diversity of Bold Street.

Liverpool has real SOUL, man! If you haven't been to Glasgow recently, you should defo go sometime, as the similarities are uncanny! :cool:

Marco.

Zoidburg
18-03-2018, 09:23
Can we discuss YWNRT now?

I thought it was pretty good, it possibly tried a bit hard to be a "difficult art house film" when really the story was essentially quite pedestrian. However the central performance by Phoenix and a score / soundscape that in places was superb at ratcheting up the pressure meant it was gripping and edge of the seat type stuff.

Marco
18-03-2018, 10:01
Can we discuss YWNRT now?

I thought it was pretty good, it possibly tried a bit hard to be a "difficult art house film" when really the story was essentially quite pedestrian. However the central performance by Phoenix and a score / soundscape that in places was superb at ratcheting up the pressure meant it was gripping and edge of the seat type stuff.

Spot on, Ben!

I concur completely, especially with the bit in bold, which on the first watch spoiled it a bit for me. I'm a K.I.S.S kinda guy, when it comes to films or TV programmes, and don't like it when they're trying to be too abstract/clever, which IMO, YWNRT was to a degree. Also, it's one of those films you need to research the storyline a little in advance, in order to have a clue about what's happening. You can't just arrive and 'get into it', otherwise you'll be sitting there going 'WTF?':scratch:

I also found that the violent scenes merely 'suggested' what was happening, and were a little too subtle, rather than showing the brutality more 'up front and close', which I prefer. For example, I'd liked to have seen how the child prostitution gang killed his mother (and others), particularly the guy who hired Phoenix in the first place, to 'go get the baddies', rather than it having already happened by the time you got to see it.

That said, I agree, Joaquin Phoenix played a superb part and portrayed his 'menacing, dark and brooding' role with aplomb, so much so that I'd love to see him play a straightforward gangster/hit man, in a more mainstream type of film, as he's one scary dude! And yes, the accompanying score/music was simply superb and arguably the best bit of all. If it's available to buy separately, then I'll get it!

All in all then, an enjoyable film that ticked a number of the right boxes for me, but also one that I suspect will be even more enjoyable with a second watch, if it becomes available on Sky and/or is released as a Blu-ray, when it's likely I'll 'get' it more, and appreciate some of the plot's subtleties, which washed over me a little first time at the cinema.

Marco.

RobbieGong
18-03-2018, 11:41
Daughter going to see Black Panther today with her friend.

Of all the people I've spoken to who've seen it, they all say it is a fab watch.

Proven a massive box office success already.

Will let you know my daughters verdict. Would like to see it myself when I can :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Panther_(film)

rigger67
20-03-2018, 18:20

Of all the people I've spoken to who've seen it, they all say it is a fab watch.

Proven a massive box office success already.

Will let you know my daughters verdict. Would like to see it myself when I can :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Panther_(film)

I didn't like it much.
I mean, it's a perfectly watchable film, but it all felt too forced and WAY too clichéd for my liking.
I've spent about two years in southern Africa all told and it just felt a bit contrived.

In many ways, I think it's an important movie but it may be that future generations look back and ask "What was all the fuss about ?" the same way current generations do about, say, Young Frankenstein (really slow going) or - dare I say it - the original Star Wars (again, very slow movie compared to the average action-adventure of today).
Before you hammer me for the last bit, I watched it for the umpteenth time about three years ago before Ep.7 came out with someone who'd never seen it before.
He's a 31 year old mate and we saw it in the cinema in a members' screening before the new picture came out and he looked at me after about 40mins and said "Is it gonna get going soon ?"
I think at that point, Luke was still on his home planet and they'd just gone to the bar in the bazaar ...

Anyway.
Black Panther : 6/10.
The only Marvel movies I've enjoyed of late have been Deadpool (7/10) and AntMan, which I thought was absolutely brilliant.

One thing I have just watched last night - at another members' screening, this time a preview - is the new Spielberg, Ready Player One.
It's a great picture - really fun to watch, with loads of pop culture references across movies, music, video games and TV shows and the kind of film you could watch ten times and see new things you missed and pick up on details you didn't notice the first few times you saw it.
It's a decent family movie too, as you'd expect from Spielberg, but not schmaltzy at all.
First rate movie-making.
Can't wait to see it again :)

narabdela
20-03-2018, 20:31

No.2 son dragged me along to see at the weekend. Dare I describe it as "worthy" film? Nah, it was utter bollocks imho, but most of the (young)audience seemed to enjoy it.

Marco
20-03-2018, 20:40
Sorry, but those types of films hold almost zero interest for me.... If you like them though, enjoy!

Marco.

RobbieGong
20-03-2018, 22:42
Sorry, but those types of films hold almost zero interest for me.... If you like them though, enjoy!

Marco.

:lol: Daughter (almost 15) loved it :)

Marco
20-03-2018, 22:53
Excellent - well at least it wasn't a mind-numbingly awful 'rom-com'!;)

Marco.

Marco
04-04-2018, 09:38

D4lkpROfQ3k

Can't wait! :cool:

Marco.

Zoidburg
04-04-2018, 15:28

D4lkpROfQ3k

Can't wait! :cool:

Marco.

I saw that a few years ago on its theatre release in the west end, if its anything like that it will be good. Its was quite a scary experience.

Marco
04-04-2018, 16:21
Hi Ben,

Just booked it, and we're going to Liverpool One again to watch the film, as once again what we want to see isn't showing in Wrexham. Decided to treat ourselves to the 'VIP Experience' this time, too [hadn't heard of it beforehand]:

https://www.odeon.co.uk/the-gallery/

Have you tried it before? Sound quite cool! Plus, it'll be another excuse to go to Mr Chilli afterwards... Can't wait! :cool:

Marco.

Zoidburg
04-04-2018, 16:24
Yes Ive occasionally treated myself to that as well (star wars and the like) you get a much bigger reclining seat and leg room I think, do u also get a free drink too?

Zoidburg
04-04-2018, 16:25
We were in Mr chilli on Monday night as well :-)

Marco
04-04-2018, 16:28
Yes Ive occasionally treated myself to that as well (star wars and the like) you get a much bigger reclining seat and leg room I think, do u also get a free drink too?

Apparently so, in a private bar beforehand, and as much popcorn and nachos as you can handle (not something we normally tend to eat).... I like the sound of the reclining chair and extra leg room, though!

Marco.

narabdela
04-04-2018, 17:39
Apparently so, in a private bar beforehand, and as much popcorn and nachos as you can handle (not something we normally tend to eat).... I like the sound of the reclining chair and extra leg room, though!

Marco.

Nachos? Pass me the sick bucket. The smell of them in a cinema is disgusting.:spew:

Marco
04-04-2018, 17:56
Indeed... We never eat them!

I like the idea though of the extra space (as I'm quite tall and getting sufficient leg room at cinemas is always a problem), plus I like the idea of having a selected (quieter) area to sit and watch the film, separating one from the riff-raff;)

Marco.

Gazjam
04-04-2018, 21:09
Dunno ‘bout “riff raff”, but recently, the mouth breather ongoingly commenting to his girlfriend to what everyone else was seeing during Alien Covenant, two rows in front, really made the movie for me?

The Chap was obviously a bit of an Aliens fan bless him, and wanted his dozing Girlfriend to share his wisdom...so every five minutes hit with gems like “Look..its Eggs...whoa!!!”

(whilst eating natcho’s....)

Enjoyed it on Bluray and smiled at remembering the quiet bits..

Marco
05-04-2018, 07:29
Dunno ‘bout “riff raff”, but recently, the mouth breather ongoingly commenting to his girlfriend to what everyone else was seeing during Alien Covenant, two rows in front, really made the movie for me?

The Chap was obviously a bit of an Aliens fan bless him, and wanted his dozing Girlfriend to share his wisdom...so every five minutes hit with gems like “Look..its Eggs...whoa!!!”

(whilst eating natcho’s....)

Lol... And you didn't tell him, ever so politely, to STFU? Driving that Alfa's turned you into rather too much of a romantic...:eyebrows:

Marco [Alien-boy would've been wearing those nachos].

Gazjam
05-04-2018, 11:08
Wouldn't have been the first time I've SSSHHHTTT someone. :)

Lol... And you didn't tell him, ever so politely, to STFU? Driving that Alfa's turned you into rather too much of a romantic...:eyebrows:

Marco [Alien-boy would've been wearing those nachos].

struth
05-04-2018, 11:42
Wouldn't have been the first time I've SSSHHHTTT someone. :)

is that shushed at someone or shit at someone Gaz;)
:D

Gazjam
05-04-2018, 13:22
Projectile Shusshing?

struth
05-04-2018, 13:38
:D

Cyrus
05-04-2018, 14:25
Interestingly, Sky have recently been advertising films that will be shown on their channels concurrently with the cinema releases, so those films that don't need the 'big-screen experience' can be watched in the comfort of your front room.

http://www.sky.com/tv/channel/skycinema/article/sky-cinema-original-films-coming-soon

Marco
05-04-2018, 18:03
Interesting, Joe. Much will depend if there's anything there I'd want to see, but I'll keep an eye out! :)

As for ignorant arses in cinemas who can't zip their beaks, and so spoil things for everyone else... Show them ZERO tolerance. If they don't shut it after you've warned them, then report them to one of the staff, who'll gladly remove them, if they don't behave.

Selfish, arrogant folk need to learn the hard way in life that they can't just 'do what they want', without consequences!

Marco.

Gazjam
06-04-2018, 16:09
Strong reccy for ‘A Quiet Place’, which I saw last night at a preview showing.
Edge of the seat, intense and at times bloody terrifying.

https://youtu.be/WR7cc5t7tv8

Marco
06-04-2018, 21:25
That looks good, Gaz... My kinda thing! I'll defo check it out :thumbsup:

Just back from seeing Ghost Stories, in Liverpool - bloody brilliant!!! One of the best films I've seen in ages. Cleverly thought out, really eerie/atmospheric, and very scary [a real head-fuck] in places.... HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!! :cool:

Marco.

Gazjam
07-04-2018, 08:17
That looks good, Gaz... My kinda thing! I'll defo check it out :thumbsup:

Just back from seeing Ghost Stories, in Liverpool - bloody brilliant!!! One of the best films I've seen in ages. Cleverly thought out, really eerie/atmospheric, and very scary [a real head-fuck] in places.... HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!! :cool:

Marco.

Trailer for that looked great, reminded me of the old Tales from the Crypt type anthology horrors, a good thing.
On the list to see when it hits Glasgow.

Zoidburg
13-04-2018, 14:28
Strong reccy for ‘A Quiet Place’, which I saw last night at a preview showing.
Edge of the seat, intense and at times bloody terrifying.

https://youtu.be/WR7cc5t7tv8

I'm off to see this tonight, I had booked to see Ghost Stories but the Mrs said she wanted to see A Quiet Place instead so I phoned up and changed the booking. Seeing as ive bent over backwards for her I'm confident il manage to "strongarm" her into driving so I can have a few pints for once :D

Minstrel SE
07-06-2018, 19:10
Well its getting good reviews but I dont know how you stretch out keeping quiet over 90 minutes.

Its usually the type of film that lets me down but it may be worth checking this one out.

My view is that films are getting worse and the horror/thriller scene is all but dead in terms of good directors. Ive seen some rubbish in recent years and Im waiting for the film industry to pick itself up again.

Tim
07-06-2018, 19:21
Well its getting good reviews but I dont know how you stretch out keeping quiet over 90 minutes.

Its usually the type of film that lets me down but it may be worth checking this one out.

My view is that films are getting worse and the horror/thriller scene is all but dead in terms of good directors. Ive seem some rubbish in recent years and Im waiting for the film industry to pick itself up again.

I couldn't agree more Martin, especially the horror scene - very rare that I get anything near scared these days. However, 'A Quiet Place' is very good, so much so I've seen it twice and may go again. I think it's testimony it's still on after all these weeks. More thriller than horror, but as Gaz says, it's edge of the seat stuff. I loved it.

Very rare for an entire cinema to be silent whilst watching it too, they can be a noisy bunch in Cardiff normally, but not with this one :)

Tim
29-07-2018, 13:38
I've seen Mission: Impossible - Fallout twice since Wednesday and I have to say it's a thoroughly good ripping yarn, highly recommended for action movie fans. This franchise, for my money, is evolving to a much higher standard than Bond :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb49-oV0F78

lovejoy
16-08-2018, 15:35
Yes, thumbs up for Mission Impossible here too. Really well paced. Relentless cliff hangers and way way over the top, but such a good blast. It just amazes me that Tom Cruise still manages those stunts.. The scene where he's jumping between buildings is excruciating because the bit where you see his ankle twisting in very much the wrong direction was real and the next scene where he's limping along is him with a real broken ankle..
It's also a very good Dolby Atmos mix. One of the best I've heard, so worth seeking out an Atmos cinema to get the full effect. My local Telford Odeon has just re-opened with one Atmos screen and it sounds excellent in there. I shall be making more effort to go to the cinema now..

Marco
30-10-2018, 20:32
Going to see this tomorrow night:

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/xq90/921/CwKhBR.jpg

Trick or treat? :eyebrows::eyebrows:

Trailer here: http://www.universalpictures.co.uk/micro/halloween#

Marco.

Zoidburg
30-10-2018, 20:34

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/xq90/921/CwKhBR.jpg

Trick or treat? :eyebrows::eyebrows:

Trailer here: http://www.universalpictures.co.uk/micro/halloween#

Marco.I saw it last weekend. Il say no more for the time being.

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

Zoidburg
30-10-2018, 20:38
I missed the seemingly very limited theatrical release of this recently but have just ordered the blueray which should be here in a few days.

Supposedly an 80's set revenge horror starring an excessively ott nick cage. Ive been looking forward to seeing this for a while now! https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181030/b54f3e76cffec9d06eea2e6edd514444.jpg

Marco
30-10-2018, 20:55
Looks great, Ben. Right up my alleyway... Sick, dark and depraved!:D

Marco.

Marco
30-10-2018, 20:58
I saw it last weekend. Il say no more for the time being.

Cool. I'll let you know what I think. Hoping tomorrow night will be rainy, and maybe a little foggy, to add to the atmosphere....;)

Marco.

Zoidburg
30-10-2018, 20:58
Looks great, Ben. Right up my alleyway... Sick, dark and depraved!:D

Marco.[emoji16][emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

Marco
30-10-2018, 21:11
I've just found to download in HD on Virgin Movies!!:D

Gonna watch it now on the home-cinema system......

Marco.

Zoidburg
30-10-2018, 21:12
I've just found to download in HD on Virgin Movies!!:D

Gonna watch it now......

Marco.Mandy?

Marco
30-10-2018, 21:14
Yup! :)

If I like it, I'll get the bluray.

Marco.

Zoidburg
30-10-2018, 21:16
Yup! :)

Marco.Oooh I hope you enjoy it, I'm hoping to have it for a Friday night screening.

Marco
30-10-2018, 21:22
Hope so... Will let you know. Cheers for the heads-up!:thumbsup:

Marco.

Tim
30-10-2018, 22:03

Marco.

Been twice to see that one Marco (won't spoil by saying anything else, but I enjoyed it ;)), I've seen First Man 5 times now, it's my film of the year so far and I really liked Bohemian Rhapsody too - slightly cheesy in places, but the acting was very believable and the Live Aid segment of the film is worth the price of admission alone IMO, especially if you saw it live the first time around, took me back to a very enjoyable day.

Really looking forward to seeing Juliet, Naked, Ryan Adams music in the trailer.

https://youtu.be/F1nNWXhBWLw

Marco
31-10-2018, 09:32
Oooh I hope you enjoy it...

Umm... I'll keep shtum until you've seen it!

Marco.

Marco
31-10-2018, 09:37
Been twice to see that one Marco (won't spoil by saying anything else, but I enjoyed it ;))

Twice eh? Well, you must've liked it:)

If it's anything approaching as good as the original, with Donald Pleasence, it'll be well worth watching. We've got some kids coming round before we go out, belonging to the neighbours, and they'll all be dressed in their Halloween costumes, and Del's decked out the house in spooky pumpkins, witches (which she loves) and glowing lanterns, so later once it's dark that'll be good fun!:cool:

Marco.

Tim
31-10-2018, 11:08
Twice eh? Well, you must've liked it . . .

Yes I did - it's not really scary, but it's fun, like the original was.

Have a fun night :)

Zoidburg
02-11-2018, 18:36
Arrived today [emoji16]

Got a few choons on at the mo but later this evening Il get stuck into it.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181102/d7eb3abd075d538b0f83388d31dc7cb6.jpg

Tim
02-11-2018, 18:57
Mandy is a new film to me, I'll look out for that one :)

Zoidburg
03-11-2018, 10:25
Well I watched Mandy last night, now that was a real dark hypnotic nightmare of a trip, I thought it was great!!!

Amazing performance by Cage, you really can't take your eyes off him.

Marco, what did you think?

walpurgis
03-11-2018, 10:31
Well I watched Mandy last night, now that was a real dark hypnotic nightmare of a trip, I thought it was great!!!

Not heard of that one. I quite like Cage, even if he has been in some iffy movies. He was superb in the chilling '8MM'!

Marco
03-11-2018, 12:23

Lol.... Glad you liked it, but it wasn't really my thing. Not a bad film, by any means, and no doubt considered as a classic by folks who are into that kind of thing. It's not really my bag though, perhaps more so because I'd envisaged it more as an out-and-out horror film/gore fest, and expected it to be scary, which for me it wasn't. It's more of a thriller/mystery, than a horror film.

Plus, for me, there was too much focus on the 'Children of the New Dawn', and the hippie/cult thing, which was fine (and most probably the point of the film), but I found myself drifting off with boredom when things got too 'trippy' and 'out there'...

I guess there just wasn't enough action (or violence/scare factor) in it overall to hold my attention. For me, it also had a rather 'dated' feel to the production and set, which I guess is understandable, given its original vintage. I'd probably watch it again though, and judge it as not being a horror/gore-fest type of film, but something rather more subtle and deep, and thus enjoy it more for what it is, and indeed does well:)

Marco.

Zoidburg
03-11-2018, 13:31
Good write up mate, I think everything you disliked about it I liked!

Did you like the new Halloween? For me it was poor, seen it all before and I was pretty much bored within 30 mins of it starting. It had plot holes galore and I couldn't wait for it to be over.

Marco
03-11-2018, 13:40
Good write up mate, I think everything you disliked about it I liked!

Lol... Just personal preference. I'm a simple soul, when it comes to films, and so if the story line requires too much concentration to follow or it 'meanders off' a lot, my attention just drifts. I need to be kept engaged and entertained as much as possible, and Mandy 'meandered off' in tangents a bit too much for my liking.

Did you like the new Halloween? For me it was poor, seen it all before and I was pretty much bored within 30 mins of it starting. It had plot holes galore and I couldn't wait for it to be over.

Yes I loved it! Simply because, for me, it did all of the above, which I've described was lacking in Mandy, and the story was nice and simple/straightforward (did 'what it said on the tin', as it were) and didn't need much concentration to follow. It was also quite dark and eerie (not scary, though), which I like, with the creepy music adding to the overall spooky atmosphere.

"Plot holes" aren't something I'd likely notice, far less bother with (a film critic I'm not), as long as I'm kept suitably entertained, which I was!:cool:

Marco.

Pigmy Pony
03-11-2018, 15:31

I too will be looking out for 'Mandy' - it sounds like my kind of thing ie a bit trippy. I like trippy films, ones that seem to have alternative realities, and favourites include 'Twelve Monkeys', 'Jacob's Ladder' and 'Vanilla Sky'.

I'm also a sucker for narrated films, which to me add to the story telling, so a few Martin Scorcese films.

And a nice set of teddies also helps. Like the speed dating scene in 'Forty Year-old Virgin', and of course Jamie Lee Curtis in 'Trading Places'.

How many of the above boxes will be ticked by 'Mandy'?

Marco
03-11-2018, 15:48
I too will be looking out for 'Mandy' - it sounds like my kind of thing ie a bit trippy. I like trippy films, ones that seem to have alternative realities...

I quite like those types of films too, as long as that's what I'm expecting... I think for me the problem with Mandy was that I was expecting it to be a very dark and gory, scary blood-fest, aimed at lovers of the macabre and mentally disturbing, which for me it wasn't. It simply didn't deliver on that level, which is why I was rather disappointed.

However, if you're after a 'trippy' fantasy cult-thriller, with a touch of violence, portrayed well and with quality acting, then it hits the spot. When I watch it again, that's how I'll be judging it this time from the beginning:)

Marco.

Zoidburg
03-11-2018, 15:56
However, if you're after a 'trippy' fantasy cult-thriller, with a touch of violence, portrayed well and with quality acting, then it hits the spot.

Yeah, that sums it up perfectly. I loved it personally & for me theres very few actors out there like cage, he makes a fair bit of shit but he's willing to take risks still which is more than can be said of a lot of stars. E.g the "vodka drinking" scene I thought was quite superb.

Pigmy Pony
03-11-2018, 16:11
I quite like those types of films too, as long as that's what I'm expecting... I think for me the problem with Mandy was that I was expecting it to be a very dark and gory, scary blood-fest, aimed at lovers of the macabre and mentally disturbing, which for me it wasn't. It simply didn't deliver on that level, which is why I was rather disappointed.

However, if you're after a 'trippy' fantasy cult-thriller, with a touch of violence, portrayed well and with quality acting, then it hits the spot. When I watch it again, that's how I'll be judging it this time from the beginning:)

Marco.

So true - if you are in the mood for a certain type of film, and you get something else, it doesn't matter if it's a good film. Like if you fancy a particular cocktail but the waiter brings you a beer.

Tim
03-11-2018, 19:24
Sounds like you got out of Halloween exactly what I did Marco, that 5/4 time piano melody is just the business and I was so glad they used it again, really sets the tone.

It's taken more at the box office already than any other Halloween film and it was cheaper to make than the last 4 in the franchise. Keep it simple stupid often works ;)

Tim
21-11-2018, 15:33
Just went to see The Girl in the Spider's Web, another Lisbeth Salander film but not written by Stieg Larsson.

So what was it like, well it wasn't a bad film, but it wasn't good either, a bit like a lame Bond movie. Claire Foy was about the only good thing, but she's no Noomi Rapace as Lisbeth Salander. Overall there was nothing new here and it was nowhere near as gritty as the original films. I'm a big fan of those, but this was very average and only deserves 5/10.

Without giving away any spoilers, if you've seen the trailers, you've pretty much seen the film. Best description might be, I like strong black coffee, this was a weak coffee with milk and sugar - drinkable, but not that enjoyable.

Gazjam
08-04-2019, 21:05
Just out from seeing Shazam! at my local flix.

Really enjoyed it, put it on a par with the first Tobey McGuire Spiderman film (which was great), ahead of all recent DC offereings except Wonder Woman, which was terrific.
Recommended.

Some reviews saying best superhero movie since Donners Superman...uhm, no.
But it was very good, lots of subtle nods to other films in it which I enjoyed.

Gazjam
27-04-2019, 17:01
Avengers Endgame tonight.

struth
27-04-2019, 17:03
Avengers Endgame tonight.

didnae know they had even passed go :)

willbewill
27-04-2019, 17:28
Avengers Endgame tonight.Oh yes, we're booked to see it in about an hour's time here in Florida.

Gazjam
28-04-2019, 16:01
Holy crap, Endgame was a bit terrific.
No spoilers...just go see it.

Some very unexpected turns in it, excellent writing and not what I expected going in.
Felt like a Spielberg movie at times.

Macca
24-05-2019, 18:37
New Tarantino film 'Once Upon A Time In Hollywood' out in August https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=tarantino+once+upon+a+time+in+hollywood&view=detail&mid=C9842AA90170525351C0C9842AA90170525351C0&FORM=VIRE0&mmscn=tpvh&ru=%2fsearch%3fq%3dtarantino%2bonce%2bupon%2ba%2bt ime%2bin%2bhollywood%26qs%3dAS%26pq%3dtarantino%2b o%26sc%3d8-11%26cvid%3d12F62A2CE7B84B83A2219DE8370AC3C7%26FOR M%3dQBRE%26sp%3d1

Tarantino is always good, Brad Pitt is always good. Looks excellent from the trailer. Might actually drag my raggetty ass down to the cinema to see this.

Marco
24-05-2019, 18:56
Holy crap, Endgame was a bit terrific.
No spoilers...just go see it.

Some very unexpected turns in it, excellent writing and not what I expected going in.
Felt like a Spielberg movie at times.

Not my thang, Gaz. But glad you loved it!:)

Marco.

Marco
24-05-2019, 18:56
New Tarantino film 'Once Upon A Time In Hollywood' out in August https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=tarantino+once+upon+a+time+in+hollywood&view=detail&mid=C9842AA90170525351C0C9842AA90170525351C0&FORM=VIRE0&mmscn=tpvh&ru=%2fsearch%3fq%3dtarantino%2bonce%2bupon%2ba%2bt ime%2bin%2bhollywood%26qs%3dAS%26pq%3dtarantino%2b o%26sc%3d8-11%26cvid%3d12F62A2CE7B84B83A2219DE8370AC3C7%26FOR M%3dQBRE%26sp%3d1

Tarantino is always good, Brad Pitt is always good. Looks excellent from the trailer. Might actually drag my raggetty ass down to the cinema to see this.

Now *that* is my thing... Agreed on all counts! I'll defo be going to see it, and will also buy the Bluray when it comes out.

Marco.

Macca
24-05-2019, 19:05
It does look good doesn't it?

Marco
24-05-2019, 19:21
Yup, seems to tick all the right boxes. If it's as good as the likes of Reservoir Dogs. Pulp Fiction or even From Dusk Until Dawn, it'll be doing well!:)

Marco.

Macca
24-05-2019, 19:48
'Jackie Brown' is still my favourite of his. But they are all very good.

Ali Tait
24-05-2019, 20:31
It’s got Margo Robbie in it. What’s not to like? :-)

Pigmy Pony
27-05-2019, 18:53
If Margo's in it, that's my mind made up. Margo in Wolf of Wall Street was close to perfect :)

Roy S
14-07-2019, 10:17
Looking forward to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ7PAyCDwEg

Marco
03-09-2019, 13:09
Going to see this tonight at the flicks: https://www.odeon.co.uk/films/scary_stories_to_tell_in_the_dark/18602/

Love a scary movie!:eyebrows:

The trailer:

https://youtu.be/Vlya92LZqZw

Marco.

Marco
04-09-2019, 08:17
Loved it:thumbsup:

Marco.

Marco
18-10-2019, 20:16
Looking forward to going to see the sequel to The Shining on Halloween:

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/xq90/922/g19KPk.jpg

https://youtu.be/CDf_EnIhojk

Should be good! Let's hope we get some bleak and foggy, wet spooky nights around then, where evil lives in every dark recess of your mind...:eyebrows::eyebrows:

Marco.

Marco
25-10-2019, 18:56
Also fancy going to see this: https://www.picturehouses.com/movie-details/000/HO00009902/monos?_m_utk=c4f68c1945685ad542821e130637447e

Marco.

Barry
25-10-2019, 19:03
Also fancy going to see this: https://www.picturehouses.com/movie-details/000/HO00009902/monos?_m_utk=c4f68c1945685ad542821e130637447e

Marco.

Hmmm - sort of 'Apocalypse Now' meets 'Lord of the Flies'.

Marco
25-10-2019, 19:49
Yup, sounds intriguing.

Marco.

struth
25-10-2019, 20:00
Good good reviews but it's in Spanish which I'm not keen in for films

Marco
25-10-2019, 21:02
Spanish is quite similar to Italian...;)

And besides, after a bottle of Buckfast, it wouldn't matter if it was in Swahili!:D

Marco.

Gazjam
26-10-2019, 00:50
Seeing Joker, and Terminator Dark Fate at the Odeon Leicester Square this Saturday, on their biggest screen possible.

Might as well do it right....?

struth
26-10-2019, 04:22
As you say, of your gonna do it, do it right.
Enjoy.

Marco
26-10-2019, 19:32
Seeing Joker, and Terminator Dark Fate at the Odeon Leicester Square this Saturday, on their biggest screen possible.

Might as well do it right....?

All the way to London, just to see a couple of films dude, or were you down there already for something else?:)

We're going to see the new Terminator tomorrow in Wrexham.

Marco.

Gazjam
27-10-2019, 02:13
Hi Marco

No, lol, not just for that. :)
Had a Concert at the Royal Albert Hall on Friday there, decided to book the Weekend and have a London Citybreak to myself.

Concert was very cool, Blade Runner Live...
showing the film on a MASSIVE screen, with music being played live by Orchestra playing along with the movie.

One of my favourite films and film music, played live in a wonderful venue.
A great experience, well worth the trip.

Marco
27-10-2019, 07:08
Sounds awesome, mate, and got to be done! Glad you're having a ball:cool:

Marco.

Gazjam
27-10-2019, 08:05
Aye, your not wrong there Marco, you just need to go for it.
Funny thing is, just found out they are bringing the Show to Glasgow in the New Year!

Ah well, probably go to that one as well, its helluva good.
Hows THIS for seeing a film in the Cinema?! :eek:

https://youtu.be/-XUjkgLZyLo
https://i.imgur.com/Y1DZ5dq.jpg

struth
27-10-2019, 08:08
Too many people for me. Sounds and looks like a hive

Gazjam
27-10-2019, 08:16
when the Hall was darkened, complete silence.

Then just you and the film.
and the music.

If your a fan of the film and the show comes your way, highly recommended you experience it if you can.

struth
27-10-2019, 08:20
show will be immense. im not good with crowds now, having lived the hermits life lol

Gazjam
27-10-2019, 08:36
There's always the Bluray...and turn the volume up! :D

Marco
27-10-2019, 10:57
Have you seen Terminator DF yet, and if so, is it good?:)

No spoilers, though!;)

Marco.

Gazjam
27-10-2019, 19:25
Terminator DF...

enjoyable.
Best since T2.

Few jaw dropping moments in there...

was great in Imax.

Marco
27-10-2019, 22:38
Yeah, not long back from watching it, and would thoroughly agree. Often the latter sequels in a long-running series like this are disappointingly sad and a little' desperate,' but not this! Top notch:cool:

Marco.

Marco
29-10-2019, 10:56
Good video to watch, where some of the main characters are interviewed, and clips of action shots shown:

https://youtu.be/AeaMoKiJXt0

Marco.

Tim
29-10-2019, 12:28
Terminator DF seems to be dividing opinion, but I enjoyed it. Mackenzie Davis is fantastic in it.

I think it does exactly what it says on the tin, great fun. The naysayers are over thinking it I reckon.

Marco
29-10-2019, 13:08
Yeah, poncy film critics always want more sophisticated/complicated plots, which require too much concentration to follow, and spoil the fun!

Action movies should simply be superficial 'disposable froth', but well-acted and with suitably 'killer' action scenes!!:)

Marco.

Tim
29-10-2019, 18:15
It's one of the better action movies I've seen this year, there's been some awful shite out there, Gemini Man was a pile of steaming poo :bog:

Best on at the moment is Joker I reckon. Looking forward to seeing The Last Black Man In San Francisco later in the week and went to see a 4K restoration of The Shining on Friday, brilliant and the cinema was totally rammed. I was surprised so many people wanted to see it - Kubrick at his best.

Marco
29-10-2019, 23:07
Nice one... Not sure Joker is quite my thing, but The Shining is arguably my favourite film of all time, so that must've been epic! Are you going to see the sequel Dr Sleep, then?:)

I can't wait!:cool:

Marco.

Tim
30-10-2019, 07:54
Are you going to see the sequel Dr Sleep, then?:)

Hopefully tomorrow, depends on how busy it looks - pesky half-term kids might delay that to next week, but I'd like to go to the first showing.

At least it's a 15.

Marco
30-10-2019, 08:37
No worries, dude. The pesky kids weren't an issue when we went to see Terminator DF, last Sunday. The place was empty, as indeed it invariably always is these days... Haven't been to jam-packed cinema for about 20 years!

Netflix, streaming and Blu-ray players have largely killed off cinema audiences, certainly out with of the major cities, so hopefully you won't have any issues. We're going to see Dr Sleep on Friday night, as we'll be entertaining some of the neighbours' kids on Halloween - Del's made loads of decorations (witches, ghosts, carved out illuminated pumpkins, etc), and I've got some spooky music ready, so that'll be fun:D

Btw, we're also going to see John Smith play in Chester on Sunday night, and a ruby beforehand, so really looking forward to that!:cool:

https://www.ents24.com/chester-events/st-marys-creative-space/john-smith/5753139

Marco.

struth
30-10-2019, 09:14
i'll await it on bluray release

Tim
30-10-2019, 09:17
Not sure I totally agree with that Marco, guess it might be the locale as my experience is very different? Cinemas in Cardiff have a large following with competitive pricing (around £4.00) and there's a lot of them, Cineworld (15 screens), Vue, Odeon, Premier and some small independents - Chapter often sells out it's two screens and they show a lot of unknown or left field art house films.

I regularly walk out of Cineworld because there's too many people and sold out/near sold out shows for blockbusters in the big screens are not uncommon. It was the same in Poole too. I did find the best times to go though are late evening shows on either Sunday or Monday. I tend to go during the day in the week, but have no problem leaving and coming back later if I don't care for my neighbours.

John Smith will be great, seen him a number of times and he never disappoints . . . enjoy :)

julesd68
30-10-2019, 09:37
Yeah, poncy film critics always want more sophisticated/complicated plots, which require too much concentration to follow, and spoil the fun!

Action movies should simply be superficial 'disposable froth', but well-acted and with suitably 'killer' action scenes!!:)

Marco.

Indeed. It's not like T2 was a particularly complicated plot but it had a supremely confident and talented director in James Cameron and a cast that made you believe in the film. Really a blueprint for the modern action film.

Marco
30-10-2019, 09:41
Hey Timbo, no problem - you can only tell it as you see it. Cardiff is a *very* different place from Wrexham! Although I do think that going to the cinema is no longer as popular as it once was, especially during the days when you used to have to wait YEARS for new films to come on TV, so there were queues out the door to get in...

In any case, I love things being quieter around here (away from all the hustle and bustle), for all sorts of reasons, so enjoy it when we've often got nearly a whole section of a cinema to ourselves - as it's always nice and quiet! I think there were less than a dozen people watching Terminator DF with us last Sunday - and that was during half term:)

Yeah, JS will be great, as will the pre-gig curry in one of our fav (traditional old curry houses): https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x487add50035ec401%3A0xfcfaf40b4dd75a66!3m1! 7e115!4shttps%3A%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2F p%2FAF1QipNZuQXeBdDfkleRhG3uGg8EWYLJtsOs4th2Z6dG%3 Dw468-h352-k-no!5sgate%20of%20india%20chester%20-%20Google%20Search!15sCAQ&imagekey=!1e10!2sAF1QipNZuQXeBdDfkleRhG3uGg8EWYLJt sOs4th2Z6dG&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjX0p3918PlAhWVrHEKHYtrD-QQoiowCnoECBAQBg

Curries like they used to taste, enjoyed inside Indian restaurants like they used to look (back in the 70s/80s), whilst sat in cosy booths with muted lighting - none of yer cold, soulless modern bollox there!:cool:

Marco.

Tim
30-10-2019, 18:26
Cardiff is a *very* different place from Wrexham!

Haha, true dat :)

Marco
01-11-2019, 15:57
Lol... As nice as Cardiff is though, I'd rather be up in North Wales, away from major cities like Swansea and Cardiff, as it's less 'built up' and crowded. Plus we've got gorgeous Cheshire on our doorstep. And besides, we're really countryside folk at heart, and 10 mins drive outside of Wrexham gets you into some lovely rolling hills, well away from every bugger!:)

Anyway, we're going to see Dr Sleep later, so looking forward to it. I'll count how many others are in there with us:D;)

Marco,

Marco
01-11-2019, 22:16
Just back... WOW, what a film!! Just STUNNING in every way, especially for fans of the original 'The Shining'. I'll comment more later, but save to say it's one of the best films I've seen in years.... Highly recommended!

Marco.

Marco
02-11-2019, 08:45
Oh, meant to say there were 22 people there this time watching the film, not including us, so quite busy! Must've been because it was a Friday night:D

Marco.

struth
02-11-2019, 09:11
The cinema will close if that is all the amount of users it attracts.

Marco
02-11-2019, 09:53
That was just in 'Screen 5' where we were, mate. No idea how busy the other 'Screens' were, but there wasn't many folk milling around the cinema itself before the film, which IME is typical - as is the level of attendance in the various Screens. They're always near empty.

And it's been like that for years... Maybe I don't choose the most popular films?:eyebrows:

Marco.

struth
02-11-2019, 10:01
That was just in 'Screen 5' where we were, mate. No idea how busy the other 'Screens' were, but there wasn't many folk milling around the cinema itself before the film, which IME is typical - as is the level of attendance in the various Screens. They're always near empty.

And it's been like that for years... Maybe I don't choose the most popular films?:eyebrows:

Marco.

you sayin' folk in wrexham are wooses???:eyebrows:

Marco
02-11-2019, 10:14
Lol... Who knows. The attendances might be different at some of those God-awful rom-coms, or kids films/cartoons, etc, but certainly not at the stuff we go and see!:)

In any case, it guarantees that it's nice and quiet, with no bloody phones going off or idiots munching crisps, etc!

Marco.

Tim
02-11-2019, 17:25
Saw the new Ken Loach yesterday, Sorry We Missed You. Not for the feint hearted as it's a grim and harrowing story. Perhaps not quite as good for me as I, Daniel Blake, but harder hitting and more thought provoking. Loach really does make extraordinary films.

If you can stomach the dark and depressing story, there are some powerful performances from the four central characters, all of whom are new to me.

Haven't seen Doctor Sleep yet Marco (Monday), so easy on the spoilers ;)

Marco
02-11-2019, 18:04
What spoilers, daftee:

Just back... WOW, what a film!! Just STUNNING in every way, especially for fans of the original 'The Shining'. I'll comment more later, but save to say it's one of the best films I've seen in years.... Highly recommended!

Ain't none there!:ner:

But, TRUST ME, it's fab!;)

I found it 'added to the occasion' watching the original first, the previous night, as the whole thing just gels better that way:)

Marco.

Tim
02-11-2019, 19:18
Haha, you daftee. I know you haven't dropped any spoilers yet, but this made me think we were about to get a much fuller run down, which might have, hence the hint ;)

I'll comment more later, but save to say it's one of the best films I've seen in years.... Highly recommended!

Marco.

I'm really looking forward to it. I did book a ticket for Thursday morning, but checked on the numbers going and cancelled it last minute. Deffo going next week, Monday hopefully and having just seen The Shining again, it'll slot in nicely.

Marco
02-11-2019, 19:50
Lol - no worries... It was quite different from what I was expecting and there were a number of standout performances from the leading characters. Quite a long film, though! Anyway, hope you enjoy it, dude:cool:

Marco.

Tim
05-11-2019, 08:29
Well unfortunately it didn't work for me Marco. I was bored by 30-minutes and seriously considered walking out after an hour but stuck it through, thinking it must get better soon, which for me it didn't. I guess I was expecting The Shining II, which it isn't and it's not a patch on Kubrick's original film. Predictable jump scare horrors send me to sleep and this had too many moments like that.

Marginally better than a trip to the dentist.

However, the day was not lost as I saw an advanced screening of Le Mans '66 last night. Now that I did enjoy, fantastic film and my new best of 2019. Outstanding in every way, with two cracking performance's from Matt Damon and Christian Bale. I'll be seeing that again when it gets released.

https://m.odeon.co.uk/_uploads/asset_management/220x320_2e60144e89ba240cfd44b08dd3a83a81.jpg

Marco
05-11-2019, 09:20
:lolsign:

Shows you how differently things like films (and music) can grab you, or not!

Initially, I was like you and was expecting 'The Shining II', and thinking what is it all about... But then I 'got' the connection and enjoyed how the whole aspect of 'the shine' becoming central to the story this time, rather than a guy losing his mind in a 'haunted hotel', and in that respect I thought Ewan McGregor was superb, as Danny Torrance, same goes for the little girl (with the 'shine'), who I thought was equally as good, including also the leading 'enemy' Rose the Hat.

I thought they all played their part really well, and I loved how it all went back again to the Overlook hotel, where Danny used the 'evil spirits' there to help him defeat his enemy. All good stuff, huge fun and very entertaining, which is what gets me off with a good film. I don't really do 'deep and meaningful'...;)

Dr Sleep also gets pretty decent reviews from the critics, but as ever these things are ultimately always down to personal taste:)

Marco.

struth
05-11-2019, 09:25
all sounds very silly...im off to watch some yellow cartoon figures now:ner:

Marco
05-11-2019, 09:33
Is the SHITEsons?:D

Marco.

struth
05-11-2019, 09:36
Just showing what's silly to one isn't to others.
Not seen it so no idea, I might like it mate. The shinnin' was good. I say shinnin' as the Simpsons did a take off in whi ch it was call such as they didn't want to get sued. Lol

Used to have it on dvd but the boy got it

Marco
05-11-2019, 10:08
Absolutely... Basically, in simple terms, it boils down to what 'appeals to your nut': some stuff does, and other stuff doesn't - and neither needs 'justifying':)

For me though, and I don't include Tim in this, when it comes to films (and even music) some folk overthink the experience, by intellectualising it too much and forgetting that watching movies (or listening to music) is supposed to be FUN, not an academic exercise or an opportunity to show how 'clever' you are!:doh:

Applying 'geekery' to music or films totally turns me off...

That's why, for me, any films that try to be too clever or 'arty' for their own good, involving complicated plots and too many twists and turns, so that you lose track of what's happening and have to concentrate hard in order to follow the storyline, or worse, decipher what the whole thing is *actually about*, are an epic fail, as I become bored, not entertained!

Therefore that's why with films, I enjoy some light 'disposable froth', which preferably is over and done with in less than 2 hours, especially in a cinema, as any longer than that and I get twitchy!

Marco.

Tim
05-11-2019, 10:25
I don't really do 'deep and meaningful'...;)

Haha, I know - although I seem to remember you liked You Were Never Really Here? In which case I think you should go see Joker, as it's not what you might expect and still IMO the best on at the moment. Joaquin Phoenix produces an immense performance, possibly his best and for sure he'll be nominated for it. I can't see you wouldn't like it, especially if you liked YWNRH, as they have similar performances and messages, although from different points of the spectrum.

Mark Kermode summed it up very well "I think Doctor Sleep is pretty good, I went in thinking it would be pretty bad, because it's a sequel to The Shining" followed later by . . . "If you're a Kubrick fan you may well really take against it, but if you're a fan of Stephen King, I think you will feel much more sympathetic towards it" A very astute observation that fits me to a tee, as I didn't enjoy either of the 'IT' films.

Guess you're lucky enjoying both then old bean ;)

I really wanted to like it and went in with very high expectations, which is never a good thing. Funnily enough there was a lady sat near me for the advanced filming of Le Mans and we were talking about Dr Sleep. She said she really liked it, but didn't like The Shining at all, which did surprise me.

As an aside, I had some time to kill and went to see The Aeronauts, which I wasn't going to bother about as the trailers looked naff. I really enjoyed it, so much so I may even go a second time, Felicity Jones was really good and it's an interesting story. So often the trailers can do films an injustice, the ones that look great often disappoint and the ones that look naff can be hidden gems!

Tim
05-11-2019, 10:29
Therefore that's why with films, I enjoy some light 'disposable froth', which preferably is over and done with in less than 2 hours, especially in a cinema, as any longer than that and I get twitchy!

Marco.

I went to see A Shaun the Sheep Movie: Farmageddon last week, great fun and all done and dusted in 87 minutes :D

I'm different though as I see pretty much everything that's on, plus all the art house stuff and foreign films. I love that I can and have the time to do it, as I get surprised and delighted more times than I get disappointed. Saw over 200 films last year, which is probably a lot!

EDIT: Correction to the above . . . I never go and see any Christmas films.

Marco
05-11-2019, 12:19
Haha, I know - although I seem to remember you liked You Were Never Really Here? In which case I think you should go see Joker, as it's not what you might expect and still IMO the best on at the moment. Joaquin Phoenix produces an immense performance, possibly his best and for sure he'll be nominated for it. I can't see you wouldn't like it, especially if you liked YWNRH, as they have similar performances and messages, although from different points of the spectrum.

I liked YWNRH because of it's 'dark' theme and violence, and the eerie atmosphere it created, plus I like 'hit man/revenge' type films. Not sure Joker fits that category, unless I've got it wrong? No doubting JP's performance in the role, though. Sounds like one to investigate when it's available on Sky or Virgin movies, as it pisses me off going to see a film in the cinema and then hating it, as unlike at home, I can't turn it off, and it's a waste of a night out!;)

Mark Kermode summed it up very well "I think Doctor Sleep is pretty good, I went in thinking it would be pretty bad, because it's a sequel to The Shining" followed later by . . . "If you're a Kubrick fan you may well really take against it, but if you're a fan of Stephen King, I think you will feel much more sympathetic towards it" A very astute observation that fits me to a tee, as I didn't enjoy either of the 'IT' films.

I would agree with MK's summary. However, you see I'm not a 'fan' of any particular film director; I just like certain films when they hit the spot, so I wasn't watching Dr Sleep through the eyes of a Kubrick fan, simply as a film that there and then I'd either enjoy or not - and I did, immensely! Now in terms of Stephen King, I like some of his films, but not particularly 'IT'.

I loved Misery, Christine, Children of the Corn, Sleepwalkers, The Dead Zone, Salem's Lot, etc. Not all of his stuff is my thing. Movies, like music, either 'connect' with you in some way, or they don't. It's as simple as that really.

I really wanted to like it and went in with very high expectations, which is never a good thing. Funnily enough there was a lady sat near me for the advanced filming of Le Mans and we were talking about Dr Sleep. She said she really liked it, but didn't like The Shining at all, which did surprise me.

That would've surprised me too, and yes I still rate The Shining quite a bit above Dr Sleep, but it's a different type of film, and so has to be judged in its own right.

They don't (or very rarely) make films like The Shining anymore - stuff that gets right inside your head and freaks you out, when it successfully taps into your innermost fears, or tickles your pleasure zones [not in that way:eyebrows:]. In terms of horror films, the genre created from the 70s-early 90s [in my view the golden era] is totally different from what's produced now, so in that respect I wasn't expecting Dr Sleep to be any different.

Marco.

Marco
05-11-2019, 12:31
I went to see A Shaun the Sheep Movie: Farmageddon last week, great fun and all done and dusted in 87 minutes :D

I'm different though as I see pretty much everything that's on, plus all the art house stuff and foreign films. I love that I can and have the time to do it, as I get surprised and delighted more times than I get disappointed. Saw over 200 films last year, which is probably a lot!

EDIT: Correction to the above . . . I never go and see any Christmas films.

Bloody hell, that's a LOT of films!:eek:

Clearly, you're a big film buff, much more than me, as I couldn't sit through all of those, no matter how much I enjoyed them. I love going to the cinema and seeing stuff that I like for the first time, but TBH, I prefer being at home in comfort, relaxing by the log fire with Del, and a nice bottle of vino, watching a good movie on the home-cinema system, and which makes movies look and sound just as good (if not in some ways better) than most cinemas, unless you 'get off' on truly huge screens!

Plus, I'd rather spend the money on holidays abroad, eating out, buying wine, and/or going to music gigs, than sitting in cinemas, but each to their own. Btw, I do enjoy some 'arthouse' films, *if* they tick the right boxes. In that respect, I quite often enjoy French films, especially psychological thrillers, bleak dramas/black comedies, etc, as in my experience the French do 'dark' and disturbing themes rather well!:)

And 'dark' is essentially my bag, especially if it's a total 'head-fuck'....

Marco.

Tim
05-11-2019, 13:03
And 'dark' is essentially my bag, especially if it's a total 'head-fuck'....

That's what I thought, so Joker should be yer thang, it ticks all the Marco crazy boxes :eyebrows:

Zoidburg
06-11-2019, 21:40
Any interest in the Irishman? It will be on Netflix a few weeks later but I'm going to make the effort to see it on the big screen. I mean that cast alone eh....... https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191106/850154e47d3d3e27e11678090b251c61.jpg

struth
06-11-2019, 21:43
Yeah looking forward it seeing it, but will have to be Netflix alas

Zoidburg
06-11-2019, 21:44
That's what I thought, so Joker should be yer thang, it ticks all the Marco crazy boxes :eyebrows:I have to say I thought the joker was crap. I just didn't get it at all and can't see they hype it's been getting. I guess I was looking to be entertained and it's really not that sort of film.

Zoidburg
06-11-2019, 21:46
Yeah looking forward it seeing it, but will have to be Netflix alas3 hour running time prob makes it more suitable to home viewing if I'm being honest

struth
06-11-2019, 22:00
Yeah you need to have stamina for a long film in a cinema seat

montesquieu
06-11-2019, 22:11
Saw the new Ken Loach yesterday, Sorry We Missed You. Not for the feint hearted as it's a grim and harrowing story. Perhaps not quite as good for me as I, Daniel Blake, but harder hitting and more thought provoking. Loach really does make extraordinary films.

If you can stomach the dark and depressing story, there are some powerful performances from the four central characters, all of whom are new to me.

Haven't seen Doctor Sleep yet Marco (Monday), so easy on the spoilers ;)

No time at all for Ken Loach, total and utter misery guts churning out worthless agitprop on behalf of his fellow champagne socialists and trustafarians. Hasn't done anything worth watching in 30 years, doesn't stop him pontificating though, great man of the people that he pretends to be. He was quite happy to take corporate cash when his brand of miserablilist train crash 'drama' was out of fashion (including McDonalds if I recall correctly) but now of course 'regrets' that. The worst kind of hypocrite, that is, a preachy one.

Alex_UK
06-11-2019, 22:14

To be fair, they're pretty comfortable, though I usually only watch family films these days and we book the sofas. :sofa:

I'd be more worried about the stamina of my bladder with a 3 hour film! :lol:

struth
06-11-2019, 22:15
I'd need a bed.. [emoji23]. Maybe a nurse too

Tim
06-11-2019, 22:50
So you won't be going to see Sorry We Missed You then Tom?

:lol:

Tim
06-11-2019, 22:55

How about three films in a row (ish) then Grant?

Star Wars: The Triple Bill - Episodes 7-9
445 minutes
18 December 2019

:)

https://www.cineworld.co.uk/xmedia-cw/repo/feats/posters/HO00007089-lg.jpg

montesquieu
06-11-2019, 23:01
So you won't be going to see Sorry We Missed You then Tom?

:lol:

I'll give you one guess ...:)

struth
06-11-2019, 23:03
How about three films in a row (ish) then Grant?

Star Wars: The Triple Bill - Episodes 7-9
445 minutes
18 December 2019

:)

https://www.cineworld.co.uk/xmedia-cw/repo/feats/posters/HO00007089-lg.jpgThat's 7hrs plus u wont get back.. [emoji23]

Tim
10-11-2019, 23:00
I went to see The Good Liar tonight . . . oh my goodness, what a crock! Utter tosh.

Awful (predictable) script, with a plot twist you could see coming from the middle of next week. In fact it had a guy walking out in front of it waving a red flag. Very poor acting from Ian McKellen and a mediocre performance by Helen Mirren. Just dreadful . . . . it's not even good enough as an in-flight movie to watch whilst eating your nasty plastic meal.

https://www.eyecinema.ie/thumb.php?src=/images/thumbs/the-good-liar-44.jpg&w=300&h=430&zc=1

That's the last two Helen Mirren films I've seen that have been appalling (Winchester is the other), which is a shame as I really like her.

Tim
15-11-2019, 20:21
Well I have to completely take back my evaluation of 'Doctor Sleep', as I went to see it again today and really enjoyed it second time around.

I think as mentioned previously, I had unfulfillable expectations the first time, but this time went it just to enjoy it as a film and not compare it. I also can't believe how much I missed, I must have totally switched off as I got a few surprises and thought 'well I didn't notice that before'
:spank:

It's still not 'The Shining' but I doesn't set out to be. I'd say it's a Stephen King film, whereas - 'The Shining' is totally a Stanley Kubrick film.

I also thought the time flew by, whereas first time it really dragged. Funny old world, but it often happens, as I do go back to see films twice if they didn't work first time and I think they should have. Doesn't always pay off, but today it did.

Really looking forward to this too, out at the end of the month I think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqoEs4cG6Uw

Marco
17-11-2019, 22:08
Good news, Tim, on Dr Sleep. This time you've described it perfectly, and good to know that not just a daftee like me can enjoy it for what it is!:D

And yes, Harriett looks interesting... I'm not normally a love story guy, but La Belle Époque, here sounds quite intriguing: http://www.mail.picturehouses.co.uk/ov/b6eeb22b-095b-11ea-a8ba-0242ac10170e

Marco.