PDA

View Full Version : Santa's Little Helpers.

Mike
30-07-2009, 21:11
From time to time, there seems to be a number of members interested in DIY/Kit based equipment who, for whatever reasons, don't feel comfortable with tackling the job by themselves.

So if anyone is willing and able to help out this is the place to stand up and be counted. Just pop a post in this thread, perhaps with a short note saying what your happy to get stuck into. :)

Cheers...

Mike
30-07-2009, 21:15
I'll start us off...

I'm happy to assemble kit based projects, cables, minor repairs etc. Pretty much most things involving a soldering iron in fact.

All free of charge as long as the equipment owner covers postage.

Please send PM or email.

Mike
03-08-2009, 19:59
C'mon, don't be shy.

I know I'm not the only one who's offered help with this kinda thang! ;)

Covenant
04-08-2009, 11:21
Hi Mike,
I was all set to contact you about this when a bit of a crisis happened this morning. We were getting the boiler serviced and the engineer reported that it was corroded and needed replacing. So I guess a bill for £3000 is going to arrive shortly.
Anyway a new amp is still important to me so later in the year I will contact you again to discuss the various kits and modules available if thats ok.

Ali Tait
04-08-2009, 20:58
Ok I'll volunteer also.Same deal as Mike really.Happy to help out.:)

Tom472
05-08-2009, 12:22
Count me in too - happy to (try to) help with any DIYing or repairs

Regards
Tom

therockst4r
06-08-2009, 14:45
Hey, I can do small repairs with a soldering iron, as well as iPod/iPhone repairs.

aquapiranha
12-08-2009, 21:23
Hi Mike,
I was all set to contact you about this when a bit of a crisis happened this morning. We were getting the boiler serviced and the engineer reported that it was corroded and needed replacing. So I guess a bill for £3000 is going to arrive shortly.
Anyway a new amp is still important to me so later in the year I will contact you again to discuss the various kits and modules available if thats ok.

Mike, are you still using the Trends? if so I may still have the upgrade guide I used, it has some easy to follow instructions on replacing caps and shielding inductors etc if you are interested?

Puffin
13-08-2009, 10:47
I am happy to help people out with kit building and advice on gainclones.

Covenant
14-08-2009, 07:50
Mike, are you still using the Trends? if so I may still have the upgrade guide I used, it has some easy to follow instructions on replacing caps and shielding inductors etc if you are interested?

Is this for me (Jerry-Covenant)? If so it was trying to do the Audiomagus Tweak 2 upgrade that got me into bother. Puffin took the amp into intensive care and nursed it back to health with a new circuit board. It does have the bits from the kit installed. It still sounds brilliant in all honesty, by far the best amp I have used.

aquapiranha
14-08-2009, 08:10
Is this for me (Jerry-Covenant)? If so it was trying to do the Audiomagus Tweak 2 upgrade that got me into bother. Puffin took the amp into intensive care and nursed it back to health with a new circuit board. It does have the bits from the kit installed. It still sounds brilliant in all honesty, by far the best amp I have used.

Yeah sorry Jerry, I confused the names. I had the kit2 and yes I thought it sounded ace, really regret not keeping it now.

Covenant
14-08-2009, 08:41
Just out of interest Steve, what amps have you tried since the Trends?
Basically I have decided not to try valves and move towards Hypex or one of the other kit based class D amps but I would welcome your advice having used the same amp as me.

aquapiranha
14-08-2009, 08:56
Hi Jerry. I am now using valves - a Decware pre / power. EL84 SET, 2 Watts. I really like the sound and it suits my full rangers well, but saying that I would still be able to go back to the trends no problem. I too would like to hear the hypex, and I have my decwares in the classifieds with the option of p/x for a trends or similar so who knows?

I think the TA 10.1 was a brilliant execution of the Tripath, and despite it's low price I will always consider it to be a fantastic amplifier.

Puffin
05-09-2009, 18:09
Just bumping this thread a bit. I have built a Lightspeed Attenuator for silly money (about £15 inc PSU) If anybody is interested in hearing one let me know.

Puffin
05-09-2009, 21:46
Hanish. Is your PM inbox full?

The Vinyl Adventure
05-09-2009, 21:54
yes, sorted it now though buddy.. sorry didnt notice!

sparky68
31-10-2010, 10:02
are any of these offers still available chaps ?
im in Southampton uk if anyone is close by would be very very greatfull of some help :)

Puffin
31-10-2010, 17:53
are any of these offers still available chaps ?
im in Southampton uk if anyone is close by would be very very greatfull of some help :)

I'm not far away. It depends what sort of help you want.

Rob.

sparky68
01-11-2010, 20:29
nice one Rob id be very greatful :)
i have 2 monobloc Musical Fidelity MA65's which are i need of a update, they work perfect at the moment but would like to have the caps changed, mainly the ones from the power source they are big Jamicon 6800uf 63v, x4 of them in each amp
they look pretty easy to change but im not to confident with a soldering iron and would hate to set fire to them :doh:
the last time i tried soldering an old xbox1 i burnt a hole right thru the pcb :lolsign:
ill try a pic angon

sparky68
01-11-2010, 20:30
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o220/sparky68_photos/Amp/DSC_0020.jpg

link to album

http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o220/sparky68_photos/Amp/

Puffin
01-11-2010, 22:18
Mark. You have PM.

sparky68
02-11-2010, 05:23
Thanks Rob
replied i think :) it doesnt show up in my sent box but i did reply

Mark

Puffin
02-11-2010, 22:32
You should have a PM I sent this morning?