PDA

View Full Version : Changes on New Skaro....Dalek Supreme D L's System as of today.

Spectral Morn
30-07-2009, 15:28
Hi Guys

As hinted elsewhere on the forum (over the last month or so)there have been some changes a foot in my main system and in my upstairs set up (more on that when its finished).

The layout of the room has changed slightly. My old book case has been replaced by a rack full of Cd's taken from upstairs (Prog rock and contemporary Pop) and I have set up a separate (though still linked to the main set up) headphone system comprising of Marantz CD7, Audio Valve RKV mk2 headphone amplifier, Leak Troughline and FM decoder. This set up can be used independent of the main set up or with it (thanks to the Sony SB500). This allows me to use headphones late at night without firing up my main system, and also to review headphone amplifiers, more simply;)

These changes were mostly set off by the arrival of open reel on New Skaro, in the form of the Revox B77 mk2(I will leave all the details on that to a future write up which is in the pipeline). In order to site it upright it needed to sit where the BAT Vk10se phono stage was and that required a swop round of the rack and a switch to solid state amplification in the shape of the Chapter Audio Couplet (this shift from valve amplification is only temporary...at this time :scratch:;)), which is very good and much better than it has been before...probably because I am using it with the Bat VK31se valve pre.

The set up, wiring and routing of signals between the tape recorders, Revox and Nakamichi CR5e, required a tape input output selector/switcher and the chance finding of one on E-Bay (thanks manorcom)in the form of a Sony SB500 solved those issues in style.

So there we have it......so far...........;):)

http://i549.photobucket.com/albums/ii364/davros124/pinktrianglept1011.jpg

http://i549.photobucket.com/albums/ii364/davros124/pinktrianglept1013.jpg

http://i549.photobucket.com/albums/ii364/davros124/pinktrianglept1014.jpg

http://i549.photobucket.com/albums/ii364/davros124/pinktrianglept1021.jpg

http://i549.photobucket.com/albums/ii364/davros124/pinktrianglept1017.jpg

http://i549.photobucket.com/albums/ii364/davros124/pinktrianglept1019.jpg

http://i549.photobucket.com/albums/ii364/davros124/pinktrianglept1020.jpg

Regards D S D L

The Vinyl Adventure
30-07-2009, 20:34
i know someone who owns a sony sb-500, he asked me to find out info on it - if its any good, value and is there much else like it around?
he is a bit of a barmy guy to be fair he has a yam hdd player and has all his cds on it, but he has also got all his cds on tape and i think he would record them to vinyl if he could... because of this he has the most complicated hifi you will ever see... mostly wired together by me... lots of head scratching went on on that day... anyway, yeah any info that i can pass on to him would be good!

interesting loooking bit of hifi there, i do wonder sometimes if some of the fasination i have with hifi, particuly the older stuff, is down to all the toggle switchs, buttons and dials... i guess thats the bit of the mind of a child that still remains in my head

DanJennings
30-07-2009, 21:04
who's that hamish?
anyone I know

The Vinyl Adventure
30-07-2009, 21:15
You might have met him in passing... Geoff the removals man who works for the shop sometimes....one of the soundest blokes you could meet ... If a bit odd! .... If fact dan funnily enough that's just how I describe you to people too!

Spectral Morn
30-07-2009, 21:25
i know someone who owns a sony sb-500, he asked me to find out info on it - if its any good, value and is there much else like it around?
he is a bit of a barmy guy to be fair he has a yam hdd player and has all his cds on it, but he has also got all his cds on tape and i think he would record them to vinyl if he could... because of this he has the most complicated hifi you will ever see... mostly wired together by me... lots of head scratching went on on that day... anyway, yeah any info that i can pass on to him would be good!

interesting loooking bit of hifi there, i do wonder sometimes if some of the fasination i have with hifi, particuly the older stuff, is down to all the toggle switchs, buttons and dials... i guess thats the bit of the mind of a child that still remains in my head

Hi Hamish

Well the SB500 is rare-ish (mine was nearly mint) though the SB300 the version before is less rare, one on E-Bay at the moment. Without it I could not do as your friend does route all the signals between recorders and in my case it acts as an input for my MSB Link Dac and output to the Audio valve headphone amp too.

The SB300 sells S/H for around about £30 the SB500 in my case £60, though that will depend as all auctions do on who his bidding and how much they want/need it. I needed mine very badly. The Realistic plastic typed unit is more common but can also sell for about £30 (not worth that or even close). I don't know who or how many companies made this type of unit. My advice to your friend keep it....its the sort of unit that will be hard to replace or have made for unit. So as long as he uses and requires it, it will however also allow you to add three bits of kit to your system.

I like the old style switches too...............

Regards D S D L

The Vinyl Adventure
30-07-2009, 23:27
i was looking for something similar my self a while back.. dont need it now but at the time i was pretty frustrated i couldnt find anything and couldnt get hold of geoff to remind me what his was called
good quality is it.. as far as effect on the sound?

The Vinyl Adventure
30-07-2009, 23:27
he will be pleased at the £60 value too

Beechwoods
31-07-2009, 07:02
The Revox looks fantastic Neil! And I see you've also got some very nice aluminium NAB adapters too, tucked away on your shelf. I need to get a couple of those for my Tandberg, but they're always too expensive :wah: You're pulling a lovely ¼" tape source system together there. I'm looking forward to your SOG head to head writeup. I trust your ears and I think your findings will be extremely interesting!

Spectral Morn
31-07-2009, 10:01
The Revox looks fantastic Neil! And I see you've also got some very nice aluminium NAB adapters too, tucked away on your shelf. I need to get a couple of those for my Tandberg, but they're always too expensive :wah: You're pulling a lovely ¼" tape source system together there. I'm looking forward to your SOG head to head writeup. I trust your ears and I think your findings will be extremely interesting!

Yes the Nab adapters I won from Jam music for £42 "Gulp"(about the average price), the metal pro bits on a BIN from a guy in Italy for £35...ish (all E-Bay). I found that running metal reel to plastic cine is not so good. I think that they don't line up so well, so it was a bit noisy. Revox manual says not to do this, run metal to metal, plastic cine to plastic cine......I should have read the instructions:doh: Its a learning curve and frankly expensive........but I am committed now....maybe I should be committed:mental::doh::lol:. I actual prefer the cine ones to the NAB to use, but in terms of looks NAB wins.

Bought a Revox remote as well..........heck it comes with about 10 ms of cable all curled up behind the cd rack....that was dear (auctions eeeeeeerrrrrr).

Yes its all coming together..........slowly. There are way to many 9 day auctions on E-Bay at the minute.

Yes I should be doing the write up soon. I cleaned the Revox yesterday just before taking the photos. The heads were not to bad, the guides etc were dirty. Head demag next ..............Gulp...that will be fun. Remove all tapes from room etc. I might just do it outside in the garden nothing around then that can be effected.

Hamish the SB500 might be worth up to £60 or more.....depends on the auction.

Regards D S D L

DSJR
31-07-2009, 13:01
ironic, isn't it, when the Revox "pro" NAB adaptors are probably worth more than the B77 itself......

Ah, memories - I've owned at least one B77 (and been told I actually owned a second for a while, but I cannot remember) and loved using it, but had no use for it long term and couldn't afford to use it as an ornament sadly..

Enjoy ;)

Spectral Morn
31-07-2009, 13:28
ironic, isn't it, when the Revox "pro" NAB adaptors are probably worth more than the B77 itself......

Ah, memories - I've owned at least one B77 (and been told I actually owned a second for a while, but I cannot remember) and loved using it, but had no use for it long term and couldn't afford to use it as an ornament sadly..

Enjoy ;)

Sadly if that were true, its not. A B77 mk2 will be worth depending on condition and any accessories included, from as little as £200 ish to £500. The latter figure for a mint, fully serviced, calibrated etc model....this has been my observations so far, having watched E-Bay for a couple of months now. A rather beat up unit (case work), but mint fascia went for £300 yesterday. It was a quarter track with 2 damaged plastic cine reels. IMHO too much by at least £60. The cheapest so far was the one I got from a guy in Scotland for £220. Its cosmetically okay, one flick switch is broke but it still works via the shank. Everything else is okay bar a bit of tarnishing on some of the metal work. If I had seen it in the flesh, I probably would have waited for a better one. They are common enough.

Regards D S D L