PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun Vs Single runs

Varun
29-07-2009, 20:32
Folks,

I will have Mark Grant's Belden 5000UP up and running tomorrow. I should know then if one of my reservations about the sound reproduction is caused by the silver in "slingshot". The issue relates to the baritone and bass register- which is not deep enough as I know it should be. I never know as there are so many variables-but this atleast should be sorted out.

Next step would be to see if the same cable can be converted into a "shotgun formulation". I have just found out what it means.

Will let those interested know.

Varun

Mike
29-07-2009, 21:05
Hi Varun,

I would leave it running for a few days before evaluating. ;)

Cheers...

Varun
30-07-2009, 06:12
Thanks Mike,

I was expecting it would take longer but would be interesting as things evolve. Also I do not have a CD player to do the job, saving my cartridge's life. Perhaps I should buy an old refurbished one from Green Home Electronics!

Have you by any chance had any knowledge of Black Oval 9 cables?

Was it Marco or DaveC, forgive me, I can not remember who was talking about the caliber of the cable-in mm. Belden is 7.5 and Black Oval 9mm. If that means much as all this tec-lingo of conductors etc is a bit complicated for me. But I am learning.

Cheers

Varun

Varun
30-07-2009, 14:47
Well mike,

You would be surprised that the cable needs no running in order to get over hardness, brittleness and above all harshness.

It sailed through the 1st movement of Carmina Burana and also number of my rock tracks. The midrange is not quite the same as "Slingshot" but it will open up. It does have a bigger soundstage and a better lower end. I would know more about lower end detail/texture etc but for that I will need my jazz records-most stil in Devon.

No harshness, no edgy tinny brittleness but I will try a Mercury Living Presence recording later- which will test it out.

So I am delighted-many thanks MARCO- YOU SAVED ME A LOT OF MONEY!

Varun