PDA

View Full Version : Dolby Atmos

lovejoy
08-09-2014, 15:18
Just a straw poll.... Anyone heard it at the cinema yet?

Now that it's been announced that there's going to be a consumer version, anyone planning on getting it at home?

Spectral Morn
08-09-2014, 15:29
Just a straw poll.... Anyone heard it at the cinema yet?

Now that it's been announced that there's going to be a consumer version, anyone planning on getting it at home?

Not heard it a friend has in a Dublin cinema and he said it was good.

Being honest no, probably not. My home cinema gear bar the oppo 103 is older tech and I don't have any plans to change it.

Regards Neil

destroysall
10-09-2014, 01:59
There's a local theater near me that has Dolby Atmos technology along with a huge coliseum-like screen. Saw there Pacific Rim, Godzilla, Star Trek 2, and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. It really is awesome, but I felt Pacific Rim didn't benefit too much from it.

lovejoy
10-09-2014, 08:53
I felt Pacific Rim didn't benefit too much from it.

I've found exactly the same thing. Certainly the impact of big blockbusters with lots of explosions is impressive. The bass management stuff done in the subwoofers for the surrounds can really get your trousers flapping in the wind, but the best Atmos soundtracks I've heard so far have been the ones that aren't full of explosions, tyres screeching and guns blazing. It's all the subtle effects that make Atmos so completely involving. There's usually a short Dolby trailer shown before the main film which has a short section of a thunderstorm in a rainforest and it's incredible what sort of psychological effect the rain coming from overheard can have on you. I've felt it and I've heard a few other people say that it feels like the temperature suddenly drops in the room. Such is the realism that it feels like you've just been caught in the storm.

For me though, Gravity was one of the most mind blowing cinematic experiences I've ever had (probably the most) because you were placed right in the middle of the soundscape. There was some very clever stuff going with the audio on that gave an almost claustrophobic feel to the whole film. There will clearly be certain films that lend themselves beautifully to an Atmos mix, but I don't think blockbusters are where it will be at.

destroysall
14-09-2014, 00:25
I agree completely, Richard! I unfortunately did not get to hear Gravity with Dolby Atmos. I saw it in IMAX instead and the sound was still easily recognized as being phenomenal. I also agree in that I don't think Blockbusters will be where Atmos truly lies.

lovejoy
13-10-2014, 10:18
I got to hear 'Atmos at home' for the first time over the weekend via a Pioneer home cinema amp and some B&W speakers. All I can say is 'it works!'. I was intrigued to hear the clip with the thunderstorm that gets played in the cinema before any film with an Atmos soundtrack and I still get that feeling of the temperature dropping in the room when you hear the rain coming down. The setup was a 5.2.4 system. Now to work out how I could get some ceiling speakers installed - In saying that, I'm happy to wait for the second generation of home cinema amps with the processing on board which at least gives some time for some releases to start appearing on BluRay.

windhoek
18-10-2014, 07:39
I haven't heard Atmos, but went to BBC Scotland HQ in Glasgow in 2012 to see and hear Super Hi-Vision in action. The screen resolution was 8K (60inch screen) and audio was 22.2. The demo showed clips of the 2012 Olympic games and as well as being visually stunning, the sound was out of this world too because for example, during the basketball clip, there were moments when it seemed like I was hearing audio from the players' perspective right in the middle of the arena. Having a literal 3D speaker setup makes sense because we have the ability to pick up sound from all directions, not just in front of us. If it's done well, I can see Atmos delivering an excellent sound in cinemas, although I suspect home cinema take up won't be anywhere near as much as 5.1 systems.