PDA

View Full Version : Any Idea What This Amp Is?

Moko
26-07-2009, 11:01
Hi I am thinking about buying this amp, but as you can see from the photo it does not have any identifing marks on it, and I was wondering if anyone here would know anything about it?

Tube wise it has 4 x EL34, 2 x ECC82 and 2 x EF86 and I was told it puts out around 25 watts.

Thanks for any info you may have:)

Spectral Morn
26-07-2009, 11:21
Hi I am thinking about buying this amp, but as you can see from the photo it does not have any identifing marks on it, and I was wondering if anyone here would know anything about it?

Tube wise it has 4 x EL34, 2 x ECC82 and 2 x EF86 and I was told it puts out around 25 watts.

Thanks for any info you may have:)

Hi Moko

Where are you getting this from ? The vendor be it a shop or on-line or E-Bay should know what it is. Looks interesting, if a little bit unfinished no transformer covers. I suppose it could be a DIY item.

Regards D S D L

alb
26-07-2009, 11:52
Could be someones version of the Maplin Millennium, or any one of the similar Mullard circuits.
Probably worth buying at a sensible price, if it's in working order.

Moko
26-07-2009, 12:59
The guy's in the shop think its a DIY job but weren't sure. It's all been checked over and looks well constructed and finished.

Sound wise it sounds great but looking at the only Maplin Millenium photo I can find it only seems to have 3 transformers were as the amp I have has 4.

Is it possible to buy covers for the transformers from anywhere?

alb
26-07-2009, 14:51
It still could be just about anything.
Four transformers indicates that it may have a separate power supply for each channel. ie. Two monoblocks built into one box.

Moko
26-07-2009, 17:05
I managed to open the amp up and hopefully the pic below will give you more of a clue.

Looking at two of the transformers they have Danbury DM53-DB425 written on them.

Thanks for all of the help so far:)

Moko
26-07-2009, 17:09
Another close up of the inside blue caps marked Phillips

Dave Cawley
26-07-2009, 18:04
Or a choke PSU ?

£35 quid would be my bid.

Dave

alb
26-07-2009, 21:38
Or a choke PSU ?

£35 quid would be my bid.

Yep, thats possible, but perhaps a bit unusual with a SS power supply.

Danbury TXs were used in Maplin amps, and some of the components look like standard Maplin stuff.
The original Millenium was built on PCBs, but this could easily be a hardwired version.
Even the valve sockets are the same type.
Whatever it maybe, it's a tidy build.

Moko
27-07-2009, 17:46
Thanks for all the info, I really like the way it sounds so it's a keeper!

Apparently somebody on the Wigwam suggested it could be a Mullard 5-20 circuit, but that uses ECC83 valves instead of ECC82's.