PDA

View Full Version : Rogers

speakers-1989
24-07-2009, 20:59
I'm back again, killer Shane.

Will like to know,
why does Rogers speakers go very well with Quad amps, especially with the Quad 405?

hifi_dave
24-07-2009, 21:07
There is no reason.:scratch:

DSJR
24-07-2009, 21:11
Bridged 405's may make them pop in the bass...

Get some Tannoy Eatons as we agreed earlier...

speakers-1989
24-07-2009, 21:27
Strange OK, I remember reading that the Rogers BBC speakers went good with Quad amplification. Oh well never mind.

Anyway, are the Tannoy Eatons back wall friendly? That's all I need to know.

jandl100
25-07-2009, 07:26
why does Rogers speakers go very well with Quad amps, especially with the Quad 405?

Hmmm, tricky one ... similar sound, perhaps? They are both a bit boring. :eyebrows:

speakers-1989
25-07-2009, 11:40
Hmmm, tricky one ... similar sound, perhaps? They are both a bit boring. :eyebrows:

The 405 to me is not a boring sounding amp, very musical and neutral sounding with little coloration, I will like to describe them as. These amps must be a little picky with speaker matching:)

jandl100
25-07-2009, 12:28
Fair enough, of course. Must admit I might like my music with a leetle extra spice to it.

I've had speakers by Rogers and Spendor and find them a little tame for my taste. I certainly admired their neutrality, though. But a trifle dynamically-challenged, I thought.

But one listener's neutral is another's bland.

YMMV as ever. :) Enjoy the music!

speakers-1989
25-07-2009, 13:59
Have any of you guys heard of this speaker make?

http://www.lwaudio.co.uk/Loudspeaker.htm

The Grand Wazoo
25-07-2009, 14:25
Have any of you guys heard of this speaker make?

http://www.lwaudio.co.uk/Loudspeaker.htm

Did you read this:
http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?p=55590#post55590

speakers-1989
25-07-2009, 14:44
Thanks for the link. I like the look of the model above the JB4.

hifi_dave
25-07-2009, 16:45
As with most speakers of this ilk, they are very distinctive and you MUST hear them in your system before parting with any cash.

speakers-1989
25-07-2009, 21:21
My Quad 44 pre was making some funny noises, inside like a clicking sound.
I made sure and checked all of the connections at the back of every thing, and all looked intact.

I'll shout out if this noise comes back. I hope this pre amp is not starting to go on me.

DSJR
25-07-2009, 21:47
One thing to bear in mind regarding old Quads before you write them off, is that the pre's invert the phase. this can make them sound lack-lustre and boring. The only Quads i couldn't live with were the 34/306, which didn't at all like r&r music.. Shane has bridged *and tweaked* 405's apparently and as long as the loading is an easy 8 Ohms, they should sound good IMO.

Spendors need careful setting up too. IMO, they should be well out from walls and corners in a not too dead room. Stands should be anything from 12" to 18" high, depending on listening distance. More modern systems should have SP1's on the end, rather than BC1's IMO. My BC2's cost me dear to re-furbish and that was because the bass units are un-serviceable and some SA2's had to be cannibalised to repair mine (mainly for sentimental reasons). get 'em set up right though and they sound lovely and not at all dynamically challenged with the right amp (I used Radford STA 25, Quad II, Sony TA 5650, Lustraphone LP100 and Naim 160 with mine).

Shane, don't bother with impossible-to-repair Rogers, try some Spendor SP1's. they're not too costly, I think they can still be serviced and they can rock well with amps such as yours...

speakers-1989
25-07-2009, 22:22
Oh I wish, Spendor SP1's will be to big for my bedroom.

To be honest with you, I miss the Linn Keilidh's so much, they sounded well fine in my bedroom. With valve amplification the Linns was total bliss!! Oh I am telling you mate.

Sometimes I just feel like selling the Quad gear and just get a nice intergrated amp, just someting that is nice and musical. OR, just get a very good headphone system and be happy.

I just give up for now.

Anyway thanks for the replys everyone.

DSJR
26-07-2009, 10:43
Shane - you MUST learn to sit back and take stock before being so impulsive - I've been there, read a library and worn out dozens of Tee shirts doing just what you're thinking of doing and thirty years on I regret it. Even my old mucca HiFi dave is gradually replacing some much loved gear he got rid of ages ago for his collection/museum ;)

Keilidh's and Rega Ela's (which you had last year) couldn't be further apart if they tried. One has got far too much bass, the other no deep bass at all (it goes out-of-phase below 70Hz or thereablouts), although the mid was fab. SP1's or SP2's (early ones) should help to give you the best of both extremes and the SP2's had a much refined version of the Scan tweeter used in the Rega's.

You like the little TDL's you have but want more - the SP1's would do it fine and they're not as wide as the Sara's you owned for a week or two. The bass is easy to deal with if they're too close to the wall (I'm partial to 12" square cushion inners from Dunelm Mill for £1.79 each), although the SP1 was hugely better than a typical BC1 in this respect anyway.

The 405's are fine (but not the stuff that audiophool wet-dreams are made of!). Yours have been up-dated apparently and when sorted for modern day domestic use there's little point in changing them for a budget integrated. The 44 can also be breathed on to very good effect (it's a good design, limited I'm told by the op-amps Quad used, which can now be bettered).

P.S. Shane, just chill a bit with your gear (or get a job in one of the few HiFi shops left as I did;)). Selling it all and starting again is NOT the way to go, OK?

speakers-1989
26-07-2009, 14:00
Sorry if I was getting out of hand a little:mental::lol:

The Spendor SP2 looks nice, for the size they should fit nice in my bedroom. I don't know with the SP1?, they look a bit big. I sit about 9ft away from my HiFi.

If I am going to sell my Quad gear I think i'll get a nice decent integrated amp. Something that is nice and musical with nice midrange.

I've been doing some research on these,

Musical Fidelity A1 Integrated amp
Naim Nait 5i
Papworth TV-8-Tim use to have one, and it was a very nice sounding amp. Far more musical and better sounding than the Quads.

I mostly play vinyl. My music taste is Techno, Trance and a bit of every thing. It's not the Audiophile's choice but I like it.

Cheers

Shane

DSJR
26-07-2009, 14:22
The old A1 was (mostly) a soft, squidgey bland device with firightening unreliability at times. It only sold well through hype and because the competition recommended ad nauseum by WTF was so harsh (even Arcams at that point, and they're usually too smooth...). Apparently there were around four versions of the A1, all looking the same externally I believe. The last ones were very much better I understand, but how you'd tell from the outside, I really don't know. If you MUST try an MF amp, try the old X series pre with 100W stereo power-amp (XP100/XAS100?). At least they sounded right IMO and there's a very fair phono stage built in...

The Nait 5i is lovely until it reaches its end stops, then it HURTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - ringy, edgy clipping isn't my bag any more and, from what I gather, they (some of their newer amps) measure worse than ever (I know measurements don't tell the full story, but a sensible modern circuit has certain parameters it should be easy to get right first time with audible benefit, not loss...)

I don't know the Papworth, so cannot comment.

You know Shane, a Cambridge 840A v2 with 640P would be a great amp to play with. Oodles of power, unburstable build with a guarantee, fine sound with no added "personality" and a good re-sale value if you get bored with it. It'll drive any speaker you like and the phono stage works well with almost any popular cartridge. You could mess around with turntables and speakers to your heart's content and forget all about the amp IMO.

speakers-1989
26-07-2009, 14:44
Cheers DSJR.

I've always liked Valve sound, my Quad 405 has a Valve like sound, but in a ''non up to date fashion''.

Tim is using Valve amplification, Total bliss!!!

I'm thinking about that Papworth amp.

speakers-1989
26-07-2009, 17:11
Are these the early Spendor SP2? Sorry i'm no expert with spendor speakers.

http://www.nrpavs.co.nz/archive09/Sold09_htm/Images/Spendor_SP2_on_off_430x390_pixels.gif

speakers-1989
26-07-2009, 17:16
I forgot to say,

I and my father went to Walrus HiFi back in 2003, to hear a Shanling CD player. I remember the amp being a Papworth integrated Valve amp with a pair of Spendor floorstander speakers. The sound was bloody good as I can remember.

You can just sit there for hours and hours enjoying your CD and LP collection.

DSJR
27-07-2009, 11:32
Are these the early Spendor SP2? Sorry i'm no expert with spendor speakers.

http://www.nrpavs.co.nz/archive09/Sold09_htm/Images/Spendor_SP2_on_off_430x390_pixels.gif

That's right, SP1 bass unit with a ferro-fluid damped (?) version of the Scan tweeter. They're similar width and depth I think (without checking) as SP1's, but shorter, and not as soft toned as the previous SA2 IIRC. the Prelude and SA2 really are best as donors for drive units IMO, as the Audax tweets sparkle more in other designs and the bass units sound MUCH better in the larger BC2 cabs (:D)

speakers-1989
27-07-2009, 15:32
DSJR,

What is the height and width of the Spendor SP1?

I've been reading on both the SP1 and SP2 and lots of people say they are very good speakers. Someone said the SP1 has a nice midrange.

And are both these speakers back wall friendly?

speakers-1989
28-07-2009, 11:15
Look at these SP1

http://www.studiocare.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=64623

DSJR
28-07-2009, 13:50
SP1's (and SP2's in the mid as the driver is the same) combine the very best of the classic BC1 (in the mid) with the superior power handling of the BC2's I run and, because the selected Celestion tweeter and the crossover had a little more tweaking done, the treble is sweeter too, due to the SP1 driver being better behaved up at the crossover point. I love the SP1 to bits, as it can be used with all kinds of exotica (or not) from Quad to Naim (the 250 works really well) to Krell and also with valves (I tried some with some "Simply 845's" from an Italian firm I forget the name of (it'll come to me in a minute). My old BC1's loved the radford STA25 I had at the time and didn't sound too slushy with the full Quad valve setup either.

Dimensions? The BC1/2 and SP1 are about 25 inches high, 11.5 inches wide and 12 inches deep, giving an internal volume of around 2 cubic feet. I don't know what it is, but there is something almost magical about a good, well sorted 8 inch bass/mid driver in a 2 cubic foot box........

I have some HiFi Choice reviews of the SP1 and 2 which I'll scan and post up. I'll need a few hours though, as I have other things to attend to first, but be patient and all will be revealed.....

speakers-1989
28-07-2009, 15:56
Are both the spendor SP1 and SP2 fast sounding speakers? If they are slow, BYE BYE.

Also I see Net Audio does good up to date upgrades to the Quad 405.

DSJR
28-07-2009, 16:10
What do you mean by fast or slow? The TDL's you have and even the Sara's are what I'd call slow (yes, the Sara thuds along at 60Hz or so and people think it's bass...), yet the Rega Ela's you had and hated were known as being fast ('cos they haven't any deep bass at all like most flat earth speakers)..

BC1's have a port-boom which needs to be re-tuned to prevent massive bass distorion in earlier ones. BC2's aren't quite as magical in the mid, but the bass is FAR better than a typical BC1 and even better with SA2 bass units, a port tube (cos mine are very early ones) and a small cushion in each box. SA2's and Preludes sound a bit soft, but the SP2 apparently was rather better. natural rather than fast (no bass) or slow (too much boom)..

Apologies if the above sounds patronising, but I find it difficult to put in words what I hear...

speakers-1989
28-07-2009, 16:44
What do you mean by fast or slow? The TDL's you have and even the Sara's are what I'd call slow (yes, the Sara thuds along at 60Hz or so and people think it's bass...), yet the Rega Ela's you had and hated were known as being fast ('cos they haven't any deep bass at all like most flat earth speakers)..

BC1's have a port-boom which needs to be re-tuned to prevent massive bass distorion in earlier ones. BC2's aren't quite as magical in the mid, but the bass is FAR better than a typical BC1 and even better with SA2 bass units, a port tube (cos mine are very early ones) and a small cushion in each box. SA2's and Preludes sound a bit soft, but the SP2 apparently was rather better. natural rather than fast (no bass) or slow (too much boom)..

Apologies if the above sounds patronising, but I find it difficult to put in words what I hear...

Na, your not being patronising. Your OK mate, I'm the silly arse here:lol::steam:

I mean something that is not slow and sluggish.

Anyway thanks for your support DSJR.

Dave Cawley
28-07-2009, 16:49
Fast speakers with a "Quad 405 has a Valve like sound" ?

I don't get this at all?

In a small room for Techno and Trance I would use these http://www.dv247.com/invt/30741/

Reviewed here http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun06/articles/yamahas80m.htm

http://www.dv247.com/assets/products/30741_p.jpg

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Hz6Co_k3Iaw&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Hz6Co_k3Iaw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Regards

Dave

DSJR
28-07-2009, 19:02
ADM 9.1's would be brilliant too, but I think we're on a vintage kick Dave ;)

As threatened - reviews for perusal:-

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q8/DSJR_photos/SP1Review.jpg

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q8/DSJR_photos/SP2review.jpg

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q8/DSJR_photos/BC1Review.jpg

speakers-1989
28-07-2009, 19:42
Thanks for the uploads.

Dave Cawley
28-07-2009, 19:55
No, no, we want fast bass, trance, chill out. No room for old Skool here......

Dave

RobHolt
28-07-2009, 23:14
If the Quad 44 is making popping or clicking sounds, remove the retaining screws from the rear and pull out all of the input cards, clean the contacts with some switch cleaner then reassemble.

The TL071 op amps fitted are 30 years old but that doesn't make them poorer than modern op amps for this particular application.
Application is everything, and while modern op amps can present some stunning specifications, check that these are relevant or desirable for audio amplifiers.

speakers-1989
29-07-2009, 19:10
The clicking sounds have gone, one of my bridging units has become faulty. Hence why my preamp was clicking. For now I'm just using one Quad 405, sounds dam good to be true. Every thing sounds beautiful.
I might think about sending my other 405 to Net Audio for a full upgrade, also with Quad 405 MK3 boards.

Also my Audio Technica AT-440mla cartridge came this morning. Been playing music on it for the last 6 hours, and all what I can say is WOOOOW!!!! But of course it will need lots more running in.