PDA

View Full Version : 4k UHD

trio leo
25-08-2014, 19:14
Hi Guys,
I've just installed a new Samsung 4K UHD telly, I could do with some help please, I'm thick when it comes to technology stuff.

I can get HD TV on about 4 channels, but how does one find the 4k stuff?

I have talktalk tv youview, which only seems to offer the ability to pause live tv over the smart tv I have, it can record programmes, but as I have catchup tv and I-player, I wonder whether I need youview at all?

my smart remote has a pause button, but it says "recording (or timeshift) is currently unavailable.

do I need a new aerial?

any advice welcome

regards Al

DaveK
25-08-2014, 20:20
I'm not much 'thinner' than you but I don't think there's much native 4K broadcast. A John Lewis TV salesman advised me that it sort of upscales HD to give the appearance of more detail. No doubt someone who really understands these things will be along shortly to educate us both.
Dave.

trio leo
25-08-2014, 23:49
Thanks Dave,
I sort of understand that the 4k telly takes a HD programme and improves it (upscales), but I can't see any evidence of this, in the showroom there was a display showing 4k and it was obviously better, but how does one access it?

regards Al

Roy S
26-08-2014, 00:05
Looks like just via Netflix at the moment

http://www.techradar.com/news/television/ultra-hd-everything-you-need-to-know-about-4k-tv-1048954

Spectral Morn
26-08-2014, 07:27
These are cars waiting for wheels as there is no 4K broadcast material yet. Any will be via disc or as mentioned streaming services. So you have bought a future proof product but that future isn't here yet.

Regards Neil

trio leo
26-08-2014, 10:00
Thanks chaps,
that techradar article was informative, I can't wait to see what it does, well I'll have to actually.

think I'll try Netflix just to see what it's like.

cheers Al

Gazjam
26-08-2014, 11:59
Always say future proofings a good thing provided the set does all the other stuff well enough for the price.

trio leo
27-08-2014, 00:07
Well I can't figure out why the smart tv won't pause live tv, it has a pause button on the remote.
It will only pause live tv when it's connected to the youview box (which I want to get rid of)

cheers Al

LittleTone
27-08-2014, 09:18
Al

Perhaps you can use a USB hard drive for that. My telly can record and pause TV if used with a USB HD. Any old USB drive will do; I used an old 256Mb
I had lying around. Works a treat.

Jac Hawk
10-11-2015, 23:57
Unfortunately UHD isn't 4k, you can get true 4k displays but they aren't for home use. i was at a training day recently run by Extron, a supplier of ours, they basically said that the bandwidth needed to carry the signal in full fat is prohibitive as well as the HDMI cable just can't carry that amount of info, so what they have to do is dial down the bit rate, which means a smaller colour palette, Redray which apparently is the name for the 4k disks and players isn't widely available yet, plus there is nothing really recorded on the medium.

so what does this mean, well if you need a new tv NOW then you may as well buy one even though it's not really 4k, plus there is practically nothing available to watch on UHD (see i'm not saying 4k as there is NOTHING in that format), i have a friend with a UHD tv, she told me that Breaking Bad was available in UHD, however she couldn't stream it as her 32mbps wasn't enough. In short i think it's going to be another white elephant just like 3D, I'm sure in the future we will be watching on 4k or more, but not for a while.

struth
11-11-2015, 00:00
Well I can't figure out why the smart tv won't pause live tv, it has a pause button on the remote.
It will only pause live tv when it's connected to the youview box (which I want to get rid of)

cheers Al

yes you need a hard drive of some sort to do that. its got to store the info somewhere

lovejoy
11-11-2015, 15:11
Well, first of all, you've certainly got the right type of TV for future proofing. The Samsung's have gone all out to support the latest formats, so as long as it's a 4K TV, then it also supports HEVC/H.265 decoding which is exactly what you'll want for the 4K broadcasts when they arrive. There is but one 4K broadcast channel at the moment, which, if your Samsung TV has a built in Satellite receiver you can check out, and it is STUNNING! The only drawback is that it's just a 10 minute loop of test content at the moment. If you're already using Freesat, just run the full scan of all channels (i.e. select Satellite rather than Freesat from the tuning menu) and it'll find the Astra UHD test channel. Guaranteed you'll watch it on loop for at least half an hour with your jaw dropped. Unfortunately if you then go and watch some 4K Netflix or Amazon, it'll look totally crap by comparison - barely discernible from standard HD in fact.
If you have a higher end Samsung such as the 8500 model, you're also getting the extended colour render and high contrast/HDR capabilities. This is where all of the interesting work is going on at the moment. There is a film pack you can purchase through Samsung where you get Life of Pi remastered in HDR and it looks wonderful on a suitable TV. Hopefully we'll start seeing more of this in the not too distant future.

Tom-Brown
25-01-2016, 20:31

cheers Al
My Samsung smart tv needs an attached hard drive, I got a tiny 1TB portable HD from 'tbay and works fine......however pause and rewind / fast forward works well but the recording bit is that you can't watch any other channel whilst recording :( ok if you are playing dvd or streaming tv but not whilst watching another digital channel :(

trio leo
25-01-2016, 23:07
the annoying part is that I paid £700 for this thing, thinking it was around the corner, that was a year ago, I'm lucky if I can find HD, let alone any improved format, I feel I've been ripped off and in a short while the same tv will be available for half the price, I'm a sucker :doh:

Covenant
04-12-2016, 10:17
the annoying part is that I paid £700 for this thing, thinking it was around the corner, that was a year ago, I'm lucky if I can find HD, let alone any improved format, I feel I've been ripped off and in a short while the same tv will be available for half the price, I'm a sucker :doh:

Almost a year since Alan's post-is there much 4k available?

trio leo
04-12-2016, 11:07
I posted this in 2014, I still see adverts for TV's and in small print at the bottom of the screen is "4K ready", and I was right, these "4K ready" TV's are half the price I paid, will it be 3,4,5 years before this con actually arrives?

I need a word with Santa Claus.

cheers Al

Covenant
04-12-2016, 11:49
I think all electronics take a massive hit when the next years model comes out. I have just ordered a 4k ready AV amp because the price dropped £100 overnight everywhere. No doubt it will be £100 cheaper again when next years version arrives.

Spectral Morn
04-12-2016, 12:30
I think all electronics take a massive hit when the next years model comes out. I have just ordered a 4k ready AV amp because the price dropped £100 overnight everywhere. No doubt it will be £100 cheaper again when next years version arrives.

The trick is to wait till the new models have just come out or are a few weeks from being released then if you are lucky you can have last years model for a massive reduction. Model improvements are usually features and less so performance. The trick will be finding the previous model stock.

struth
04-12-2016, 12:34
And sometimes new ones performance has been sacrificed for more "in features" .. near new secondhand models can occasionaly be had for peanuts.
Or beans as they should be called ;)

Spectral Morn
04-12-2016, 12:38
And sometimes new ones performance has been sacrificed for more "in features" .. near new secondhand models can occasionaly be had for peanuts.
Or beans as they should be called ;)

That also is true.

Marco
04-12-2016, 12:59
I posted this in 2014, I still see adverts for TV's and in small print at the bottom of the screen is "4K ready", and I was right, these "4K ready" TV's are half the price I paid, will it be 3,4,5 years before this con actually arrives?

Currently watching Sky Sports 1 (Bournemouth vs. Liverpool), in UHD, on my 4K Sony TV, and loving it! ;)

Marco.

WAD62
04-12-2016, 13:07
Currently watching Sky Sports 1 (Bournemouth vs. Liverpool), in UHD, on my 4K Sony TV, and loving it! ;)

Marco.

Lallana's beard looks a right mess in UHD!!! ;)

Marco
04-12-2016, 14:46
Indeed :eyebrows:

Marco.

WAD62
04-12-2016, 15:10
Indeed :eyebrows:

Marco.

..however what a game now!!! 3:3!!!

EDIT: 4:3 !!! ...'our Jergen' might be a little disappointed ;)

struth
04-12-2016, 15:23
Ha, 4-3 to the Cherries... some comeback

Marco
04-12-2016, 15:38
Yeah, great game but wrong result! :doh:

You can't go from 3-1 up to losing 4-3, if you've got any notions of winning the title.... The top teams don't do that. Looking for Man Utd now to beat Everton!

Marco.

struth
04-12-2016, 15:49
Still tight up there. Lots of good sides in prem. liverpool should be top 4 and challenge, unless they lose their way. Dont think Klopp will let that happen. Much probably depends on injuries etc for many of sides.