PDA

View Full Version : Hello There

griffo104
20-03-2008, 13:20
Been chatting to a fellow Wammer about Denon carts and step-up trannies, in particular the DL301pro and Audiotorium 23, he has a KAB Technics deck and I thought, that sounds similar to old Marco's setup. I was then told Marco was over here so thought I'd pop over and have look - and now I've joined :)

Hello to everyone.

Filterlab
20-03-2008, 13:23
Hi Griffo and welcome.

We love cartridges and turntable talk here - you've come to the right place, especially if you're looking for Marco. :)

Marco
20-03-2008, 13:31
Way hey, nice one, Griffo, and welcome! :)

I was hopeful you'd find your way here eventually.

If there's anything specific you want to know about any of the above start a thread and I'll contribute as soon as I get a chance.

You soon may even catch my (LONG, LONG, LONG overdue :eyebrows:) review on the KAB-modified SL-1210, which will be taking place in the Strokes of Genius section.

Anyway, glad you're here. Get stuck in!

ATB,
Marco.

griffo104
20-03-2008, 13:38
Thanks guys, nice to be over here. Been playing with a Denon cart and a step-up at the moment and having a lot of fun - although not a DL103 or variant.

ray70
20-03-2008, 14:20
Hello there. I am the Wammer that Griffo referred to so I thought I would join as well. I got bored waiting for Marco's review, so bought my own KAB 1210! Very nice it is too - so much so that Esoteric X-03SE I've also recently bought is being criminally under used.

Look forward in joining in the fun.

P.S. Marco - any plans on selling your Auditorium 23? :eyebrows:

Filterlab
20-03-2008, 14:22
Hi Ray, and welcome to you as well. :)

enbee23
20-03-2008, 14:28
Hello there. I am the Wammer that Griffo referred to so I thought I would join as well. I got bored waiting for Marco's review, so bought my own KAB 1210! Very nice it is too - so much so that Esoteric X-03SE I've also recently bought is being criminally under used.

Look forward in joining in the fun.

Ahem! Reading your comment about the X-03SE, do you have any plans on selling it soon? Or ever?!! :eyebrows:

I have heard that very machine several times in its former home and my own once, just superb. Congratulations.

Sh*t, I've gone all digital on a vinyl thread. Better run for cover...

Oh, and welcome to the forum :)

ray70
20-03-2008, 14:37
Ahem! Reading your comment about the X-03SE, do you have any plans on selling it soon? Or ever?!! :eyebrows:

No! :ner:

The X-03SE is a great CDP no doubt. However, I've always loved vinyl and the Technics is just such a fuss free TT that I find myself playing more vinyl than ever.

enbee23
20-03-2008, 14:44
No! :ner:

The X-03SE is a great CDP no doubt. However, I've always loved vinyl and the Technics is just such a fuss free TT that I find myself playing more vinyl than ever.

Your Esoteric will be feeling right at home with a Technics for company again, Alan's one sounded great :) Strangely, I think I once heard your Concentra too, in its former life... small world.

ray70
20-03-2008, 14:49
Your Esoteric will be feeling right at home with a Technics for company again, Alan's one sounded great :) Strangely, I think I once heard your Concentra too, in its former life... small world.

I think you did as the Concentra also came to me via Scotland. Small world indeed!

scoobs
20-03-2008, 15:46
Wotcha Ray, good to see you over here mate. It's like the back of the school bus on here - where all the naughty boys hang out!

ray70
20-03-2008, 16:02
Hi Nick, good to hook with you too. Yes, this place has got that fag behind the bike sheds feel to it - nice!

Griffo - sorry to have hijacked your welcome thread :(

Marco
20-03-2008, 16:47
Hi Ray,

Welcome to the forum :)

I'm glad some of the guys from the Wam are starting to find their way here and see it as a viable option ;)

Spread the word - the more the merrier!

I got bored waiting for Marco's review, so bought my own KAB 1210! Very nice it is too...

I'm not bloody surprised you got bored. Snails have crossed the Atlantic ocean quicker! :o

The problem is that I don't just want to write something trivial and meaningless like: "Great deck, sounds brilliant, so go and buy one", or whatever.

I would like the thread to be a reference point for all Technics 1200/1210 fans and those who are interested in modifying them, as there will lots of factual stuff in there based on information I've collected from various sources, pictures and bits and pieces, and not just simply my subjective opinion on matters. The thread will also be made into a 'Sticky'. Information will also continually be added in an on-going basis to make it hopefully the most comprehensive one-stop archive available on any audio forum for information on the 1200/1210 and its various modifications.

As you will appreciate, this all takes time to compile, and when you're also running a business from home and trying to administrate a forum, not to mention distractions with life in general, time is not something that's always in great abundance :(

Anyway, it will happen soon, and hopefully it will be worth waiting for.

In the meantime, let's hear all about your adventures with your 1210 and how you think it compares to other decks you have owned, or anything else you feel would be of interest :)

...so much so that Esoteric X-03SE I've also recently bought is being criminally under used.

I know exactly what you mean. My modified Sony transport & DAC combo, superb as it is, can remain redundant for quite some time when I get 'into the zone' with the SL-1210, such is the way it plays music in an effortless and enjoyable fashion. There's also no doubt that fed with a slab of audiophile heavyweight vinyl the KAB-modified 1210 quite easily outperforms the Sony, as it would do I think to ANY other CD player.

No chance, dude. It's the best tranny for the 103 I've ever used by a country mile. I know where you can buy one though!

There will be a review on the A23 and a comparison between all the various versions of the 103 (which I've now used) incorporated into the main review of the 1210 - another reason why it's taking so long to write!!

Marco.

ray70
20-03-2008, 21:53
Thanks for the warm welcome Marco. Looking forward to spending some time here and will also be trying to convert others to the way of the 1210! Won't be around for a while though as we're off to Cornwall on our holibobs tomorrow.

wrighty
27-03-2008, 12:44
saw this forum mentioned by a distinguished wammer,so thought I'd join up.

Different name though:) and I prefer vinyl as well.

Filterlab
27-03-2008, 12:47
Welcome Wrighty, all are welcome - especially vinyl lovers. ;)

Marco
28-03-2008, 08:23
saw this forum mentioned by a distinguished wammer,so thought I'd join up.

Excellent. Keep 'em comin'... Tell him to mention away! :)

Welcome to the forum, Wrighty :smoking:

Marco.