PDA

View Full Version : Switch off DAB!

David Price
21-07-2009, 15:41
In addition to the great 'Save FM' campaign, I feel we need a two pronged attack, so I've started this petition too:

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/switch-off-DAB/

Let the government have both barrels!

David

Stratmangler
21-07-2009, 20:34
Excellent idea - I've just signed.

Chris:)

Mike
21-07-2009, 20:37
:) Top idea!

Mike
21-07-2009, 20:40
Arrrgh, not working! :steam:

Will try later...

Mike
21-07-2009, 20:41
Ah, s'better, working now. :)

Spectral Morn
21-07-2009, 20:47
I hate to say it, but I think we have a better chance of saving FM than getting DAB witched off. Pity, but there you have it, IMHO of course.

Regards D S D L

alb
21-07-2009, 20:50
I'll go along with this.
The DAB reception in my neck of the woods is useless anyway.

David Price
21-07-2009, 22:13
thanks guys. I totally back the 'save FM' campaigns of course, as we all do, but why stay on the back foot? Why not actually demand what is undeniably good sense - and will save loads of money? Hence the petition!

I am sending this to my friends at the Sunday Times; hopefully they'll publicise it too.

Here's my press release (a bit cheeky, I know)...

STOP DAB!
Fans of tragic sound quality, awful reception quality and general government waste and profligacy, look away now! Otherwise, why not sign up for Hi-Fi World's campaign to stop DAB by 2015? It's easy to do, just click on http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/switch-off-DAB/ and add your name to the long list of Digital Radio dissidents!

NickB
21-07-2009, 22:20
Great idea - signed

Nick

The Grand Wazoo
21-07-2009, 22:31
David,
Of course, I shall be glad to sign your petition...........but.........
You should know that I fear that the argument that will be used to counter this proposition is the very one that many of us are making about the FM switch off, but in that respect, is being ignored.

That's the issue that our investment in many (in most households) FM receivers will be wiped out in a stroke.
I'm sure we will hear that the owners of bright shiny new DAB radios will not stand for such a move & shouldn't be left high & dry - but there will be no mention of DAB+ causing the obsolescence of those radios in any of this.

Me....cynical?..........Nah!
Cheers

Jeremy Marchant
30-07-2009, 20:33
Radio 4's Feedback will include a piece on DAB on Friday 31.7 at 1.30pm repeated Sunday 2.8 at 8pm. They recorded a brief interview with me for the programme, but I had so little notice, I couldn't get to a pc to do research.