20-07-2009, 10:13
here you go, my new system, as provided by Mr. Hamish Gill
http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp125/pogoyen/hififorum.jpg
http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp125/pogoyen/hififorum2.jpg

and what I use it for!

http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp125/pogoyen/hififorum3.jpg

The Vinyl Adventure
20-07-2009, 17:59
dan i forgot to mention in the list of bits your running there is also a "qed digit dac" + "positronic powersupply"

Beechwoods
21-07-2009, 19:27
and what I use it for!

Jeeeezus!

:stalks: :stalks:

That is a fine CD collection.... fantastic stuff!

Spectral Morn
21-07-2009, 20:26
Jeeeezus!

And I thought I was bad....... Nice collection.

Regards D S D L

aquapiranha
21-07-2009, 20:30
Very nice! paticularly liking the Tenacious D CD!...

'wonderboy....!'

Alex_UK
04-08-2009, 15:42
Dan, I fear you will soon have to what I do and store your CDs in slip cases. I roughly cut down my storage space to a quarter of what it was. In the case of a normal CD the sleeve notes stay with the disc but if it is a digipack or similar just the disc stays and the rest goes in the loft. I don't really miss the cases to be honest.

I've still got my CD63 KI Signature I bought from new 13 years ago in a spare room and I still think it is a great player - I only replaced it because it was getting really fussy about some discs, and replaced it with a CD6000SE KI Signature which too lasted about 6 years before it started skipping... hence I now have a SA7001 KI Signature as my main player - can you see a pattern emerging???!!! I've always loved the ethos of Mr Ishiwata - probably a load of old marketing flim flam, but I've been very happy with all 3 players, and they all had to win an audition against their peers at the time. I hope yours continues to give you plenty of years of enjoyment!

The Vinyl Adventure
04-08-2009, 17:27
dont tell dan but the analog output on his 63ki is duff.... sounds better through the qed digit anyway :)

Barry
04-08-2009, 20:05
Jeeeezus!

You're not kidding - I estimate it must include 1250 -1300 CDs.

What are your tastes in music Dan? (Apologies if you have already mentioned this elsewhere)

Regards

The Vinyl Adventure
04-08-2009, 20:15
when he came round here last i was flicking through his archos mp3 player and there was 1800 odd ablums on that

Barry
04-08-2009, 20:46
when he came round here last i was flicking through his archos mp3 player and there was 1800 odd ablums on that

Hell - I was going by the CDs on the shelves! Dan may have more in the drawers. Whatever, it's an impressive collection.:smoking:

DanJennings
05-08-2009, 15:51
Dan, I fear you will soon have to what I do and store your CDs in slip cases. I roughly cut down my storage space to a quarter of what it was. In the case of a normal CD the sleeve notes stay with the disc but if it is a digipack or similar just the disc stays and the rest goes in the loft. I don't really miss the cases to be honest.

I've still got my CD63 KI Signature I bought from new 13 years ago in a spare room and I still think it is a great player - I only replaced it because it was getting really fussy about some discs, and replaced it with a CD6000SE KI Signature which too lasted about 6 years before it started skipping... hence I now have a SA7001 KI Signature as my main player - can you see a pattern emerging???!!! I've always loved the ethos of Mr Ishiwata - probably a load of old marketing flim flam, but I've been very happy with all 3 players, and they all had to win an audition against their peers at the time. I hope yours continues to give you plenty of years of enjoyment!

I'm not sure I could bring myself to do that! I like looking at them too much!
I fear the DVDs would go long before the CDs moved an inch. Then the books, then the sofa etc

dont tell dan but the analog output on his 63ki is duff

why I oughta!!!

DanJennings
05-08-2009, 16:07
What are your tastes in music Dan? (Apologies if you have already mentioned this elsewhere)

OK well a lot of this is pasted from another post, but I have time to put a bit more on now...

now there's a tricky question.... I fear my answer will be long winded...

I was raised on classic rock and prog rock, Hawkwind, Pink Floyd, Yes, Jethro Tull, Deep Purple, Zeppelin, Sabbath, Bowie etc... but branched in to all sorts,

electronica: Lamb, Nitin Sawhney, Massive Attack, Aphex Twin, Squarepusher, The Orb, Lemon Jelly etc,

Metal, from Megadeth, Opeth, Devildriver, Metallica, Slayer, Snot, One Minute Silence, Black Sabbath, Pantera, Tool, you name it.

Punk Rock, mostly the english stuff, (Stiff Little Fingers, Anti Nowhere League, Clash, Pistols, Damned, X Ray Spex etc) but a few american ones too (NOFX, Rancid, Aquabats, EARLY offspring etc)

Pop-wise, the classics, Beatles, Kinks, and more modern stuff like Crowded House, Barenaked Ladies, Duran Duran, Duke Special, Spacehog

Folk: I adore Richard Thompson, John Martyn, Nick Drake, Bob Dylan, Seth Lakeman, Tunng, and I am currently in a folk phase, so all of those and plenty more like them are in heavy rotation

I have a soft spot for quirky artists like Bjork, Regina Spektor, They Might Be Giants, early Weezer, Tom Waits, Primus, Zappa...

But my favourite band would have to be XTC, rich and varied, from punk to pastoral to psychedelic and back again, they've done all sorts... I own roughly 80 CDs by them, plus bits and pieces on vinyl.

I am a classical violinist, so blatantly like a lot of that, my favourites being Mendelssohn, Brahms, Handel, Mozart, Stravinsky, Shostakovich, Rachmaninov... Like the modern stuff too though, especially Steve Reich.

Jazz wise, not an expert, it has to be said. Like the essentials, Davis, Coltrane, etc, but prefer fusion and jazz rock to be honest, Return to Forever, Weather Report, Gong, Mahavishnu Orchestra etc.

Wouldn't call myself a country fan, but still like Cash, Eagles, Willie Nelson, and more.

Hiphop! - mostly the old stuff, public enemy, nwa, beastie boys (couldve gone in punk as well I suppose) grandmaster flash, eric b & rakim, but sometimes some newer stuff gets through, like jedi mind tricks or jurassic 5

there's probably more genres I've forgotten, but that'll do

Alex_UK
05-08-2009, 23:11
It was a wrench at first, but I've got over it now, just about. (After 8 years! ;-)

Wow - that is certainly a very comprehensive description of your exceedingly eclectic and varied taste - a lot of stuff I like in there, some I haven't tried so there may be a few Spotify searches to be had, thanks Dan!

Interesting that I came to AoS wanting to expand my hi-fi knowledge, and so far most of the learning has been on source material - but then isn't that what it's all about?

Barry
05-08-2009, 23:26
Hi Dan,

Your tastes are about a varied as mine and there seems to be a large portion that we have in common.

I was very impressed by Regina Spektor when I saw her on 'Later...'. When I last visited HMV I noticed there were three CDs by her. Do you have a title of hers you could recommend?

Regards

The Vinyl Adventure
05-08-2009, 23:59
"begin to hope" is a later album and one i tend to use as a referance between systems(a dan recomedation).. i love the production on it, its very 'open' ..its not perfect but i have sold hifi from esclusive demos of it... the music its self is very good also... 'edit' is awsom

DanJennings
06-08-2009, 07:16
yeah, 'begin to hope' is amazing. A good mix of her quirky side and her more commercial side, and as Hamish points out, the production is excellent. Definitely a good album to be getting on with, there'll be at least one song you know on it, which is always a good foothold.
My personal favourite (if you can get hold of it) is called 'Songs'

Alex_UK
06-08-2009, 16:48
You've made me dig out "begin to hope" now - played it loads when it first came out - forgot how good it was, looks like I'll have to get her latest, and "songs" as I don't have that either - thanks chaps, I think! ;)

Sorry, I'll go away now we're really hijacking Dan's gallery thread now!

DanJennings
06-08-2009, 17:47
Alex - don't get your hopes up about the new one - Far....

Just my opinion you understand, but I feel it lacks the charm and quirkiness of her other records, and has gone towards the more commercial side... and it's a little bit shiny in its production, but it's got a few good little ditties on it

By all means get it, it's not a bad album, just probably Regina's worst.

I recommend all the others though,
'Eleven Eleven' one I don't think has been mentioned in this thread so far, her first album - quite stripped down and jazzy (I recommend the songs 'Buildings' and 'Pavlov's Daughter')

'Songs' Probably my favourite... lots of quirky mad bits, and she sounds like she's having a great time. Also has the original version of 'Samson' on it (rec. songs - 'Daniel Cowman' 'Oedipus' and 'Bon Idee'

'Soviet Kitsch' Her major label debut, not really a bad song on here either... better production, and easier to get hold of.. ('Ghost of Corporate Future' 'Us' and 'Poor Little Rich Boy'

You'll struggle getting 'eleven eleven' and 'songs', but if you can, do.

The Vinyl Adventure
06-08-2009, 17:53
hey dan, im listening to tonng ... its good!

DanJennings
06-08-2009, 18:54
hey dan, im listening to tonng ... its good!

You're damn right it is

DanJennings
07-07-2013, 09:45
Well I moved house recently and I treated myself to a new hifi rack yesterday, so here's some more (admittedly crap) pics.

http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp125/pogoyen/20130707_101624_zps9e1e6596.jpg

http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp125/pogoyen/20130707_104228_zpsa3b8a923.jpg

http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp125/pogoyen/20130707_102308_zps1340d3ca.jpg

http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp125/pogoyen/20130707_102318_zpsdff1ea07.jpg

http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp125/pogoyen/20130707_102326_zps3f1eedf7.jpg

Rare Bird
07-07-2013, 10:01
I see you bought the 3 Disc 'Warrior On The Edge Of Time' set Dan the man :eyebrows:

DanJennings
07-07-2013, 10:06
I see you bought the 3 Disc 'Warrior On The Edge Of Time' set Dan the man :eyebrows:

certainly did... I've played the new remaster quite a bit, not played the Steven Wilson mix much yet, and haven't even started on the DVD :eyebrows:

Rare Bird
07-07-2013, 10:13
I can hear a definate difference in the Wilson Mix, the Mellotron on the 'Golden Void' is much more deeper/expansive sounding..

Andrew B
07-07-2013, 10:50
Hey Dan. So nice to see the telly taking second place to the music. Great CD collection too. Just been reading your music tastes and there are some I've not heard of, so thanks for taking the time to post. It's a great source of potential new favourites for many of us with smaller collections. My tastes aren't as broad as yours yet, but I'm always open to trying new stuff. Great to see you like Electronica. Me too.
Wish I had your talent for playing music. Can't hold a note, can't keep rhythm and can't play any instrument. Not even a stylophone :). Do you think it makes you listen differently to music when you are a musician? Sorry If it's a daft question. Just curious.

DanJennings
07-07-2013, 11:24
Hey Dan. So nice to see the telly taking second place to the music. Great CD collection too. Just been reading your music tastes and there are some I've not heard of, so thanks for taking the time to post. It's a great source of potential new favourites for many of us with smaller collections. My tastes aren't as broad as yours yet, but I'm always open to trying new stuff. Great to see you like Electronica. Me too.
Wish I had your talent for playing music. Can't hold a note, can't keep rhythm and can't play any instrument. Not even a stylophone :). Do you think it makes you listen differently to music when you are a musician? Sorry If it's a daft question. Just curious.

Yep, haven't had a TV for about 11 years now, don't miss it one bit.

I suppose you do listen to music differently after studying music theory / playing an instrument. It's hard to describe but certain things seem to stand out more, the structure of the piece / song, the technical ability of the player etc. It certainly (I think anyway) makes you appreciate things more, especially more difficult music:

kGNb-YT5ECA

But then again who knows! I'm a big fan of punk music, the simplest and most direct and least demanding music possible, so maybe that's just bollocks!

Marco
09-07-2013, 06:35
Well I moved house recently and I treated myself to a new hifi rack yesterday, so here's some more (admittedly crap) pics.

http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp125/pogoyen/20130707_101624_zps9e1e6596.jpg

http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp125/pogoyen/20130707_104228_zpsa3b8a923.jpg

http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp125/pogoyen/20130707_102308_zps1340d3ca.jpg

http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp125/pogoyen/20130707_102318_zpsdff1ea07.jpg

http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp125/pogoyen/20130707_102326_zps3f1eedf7.jpg

Nice music collection, Dan. That's ultimately what it's all about, mate! :respect:

stupinder
09-07-2013, 10:09
Hoping the wife buys me this for my birthday ...I have dropped a few subtle hints like "This is what I want for my birthday please!" - though she's insistent that the ticket for Neil Young constitutes my present.