PDA

View Full Version : One weekend only revisited with Stacked 57's

Jonboy
19-07-2009, 15:24
http://i419.photobucket.com/albums/pp272/jonboy_01/DSC_1016.jpg

I have been playing again, i spent yesterday evening building the frames and fixing the Quads in place, i had left them on for 24 hrs before attatching them to the frames. I have run them on Leak TL 10's and have now switched over to a Rogers Cadet 11, i have misslaid one of my bulgin plugs to try my Stereo 20 which i suspect will sound good.:) perhaps i will try the Quads 11 next, i have too much kit so i must decide which amps are keepers,a full list of stuff for sale can be supplied if anyone is interested.
They have been playing all day in my office/ boys room above my garage which i have finally got mostly sorted out, with her in doors making the occasional passing comment of total horror and discust, i did get here to sit and listen though, but she still said there not comming in the house so you should just sell them:mental: my mate runs Apogee Diva's which his wife calls Hospital Doors:lol: they are big mind and take a lot of driving.
You need to be in the sweet spot smack bang in the middle to get the full benifit, certain tracks you get the singer floating in mid air right between them, the top pair have been serviced by Quad a few years ago and fitted with new treble panels and clamp boards and the bottom pair are as they arrived scruffy and unloved but don't sound to bad no nasty crackles or pops so far. Bass is good but i still think they need help with the top end ie super tweeters.
The transport is a Teac T1 which i have been using with a Micromega duo dac and also a 7510 mk 6 Stan dac. next stop a turntable dusted off and set up, the problem is now i am going to spend more time outside with this set up than inside with my other kit, at least it will make my paper work more enjoyable, if she gets her way there be a Bose indoors and my kit will all be relegated to the garage:doh:
One weekend only, we will see:ner:

Spectral Morn
19-07-2009, 19:10
http://i419.photobucket.com/albums/pp272/jonboy_01/DSC_1016.jpg

I have been playing again, i spent yesterday evening building the frames and fixing the Quads in place, i had left them on for 24 hrs before attatching them to the frames. I have run them on Leak TL 10's and have now switched over to a Rogers Cadet 11, i have misslaid one of my bulgin plugs to try my Stereo 20 which i suspect will sound good.:) perhaps i will try the Quads 11 next, i have too much kit so i must decide which amps are keepers,a full list of stuff for sale can be supplied if anyone is interested.
They have been playing all day in my office/ boys room above my garage which i have finally got mostly sorted out, with her in doors making the occasional passing comment of total horror and discust, i did get here to sit and listen though, but she still said there not comming in the house so you should just sell them:mental: my mate runs Apogee Diva's which his wife calls Hospital Doors:lol: they are big mind and take a lot of driving.
You need to be in the sweet spot smack bang in the middle to get the full benifit, certain tracks you get the singer floating in mid air right between them, the top pair have been serviced by Quad a few years ago and fitted with new treble panels and clamp boards and the bottom pair are as they arrived scruffy and unloved but don't sound to bad no nasty crackles or pops so far. Bass is good but i still think they need help with the top end ie super tweeters.
The transport is a Teac T1 which i have been using with a Micromega duo dac and also a 7510 mk 6 Stan dac. next stop a turntable dusted off and set up, the problem is now i am going to spend more time outside with this set up than inside with my other kit, at least it will make my paper work more enjoyable, if she gets her way there be a Bose indoors and my kit will all be relegated to the garage:doh:
One weekend only, we will see:ner:

I think if you spray both quads the same colour Something your wife likes and spruce them up +tidy the stands she might allow you to have them in the house permanently. They are even to my male eyes a bit of a sight (I am sure they sound brilliant). Refurbish them involve your wife in colour and see what happens.

Regards D S D L

Barry
19-07-2009, 19:49
Yeah - lets have them 'Pretty in Pink'.

As a Quad lover, I'm entirely jealous ! :eyebrows: Oh! I want them, I want them - just don't have room for them.:doh:

Regards

DSJR
19-07-2009, 21:42
They were great once (Decca Kelly tweeters added for better dispersion IIRC).....

hifi_dave
20-07-2009, 09:34
Yeah, those tweets were great. Only trouble being that to get one pair going, you had to buy in ten and build them yourself. :lolsign:

We also used a Motorola Piezo tweet to extend the top.:eyebrows:

Jonboy
20-07-2009, 21:19
Yeah, those tweets were great. Only trouble being that to get one pair going, you had to buy in ten and build them yourself. :lolsign:

We also used a Motorola Piezo tweet to extend the top.:eyebrows:

Sounds interesting and cheap, How Did you do this and did you require a crossover?

Jonboy
18-11-2009, 18:43
They still look like shit and have been thrown together but I have now fitted the mentioned Piezo horn tweeters from Maplins complete with L pads from Wilslow Audio and given the lower pair a strip down and de-dusting, this is when i found that i need a service kit to rebuild the panels, or perhaps some selotape over the holes:eyebrows: the tweeters only have to be on very slightly or everything gets a bit in your face hence the need for the L pads (thanks to those who gave me advice) total cost for this upgrade was around £40 with all the extra banana plugs and sockets, anyway it's a work in motion and maybe one day i will get around to making some frames like the ones in the Levinson set up that Chris has Posted , they still won't be allowed indoors though.

http://i419.photobucket.com/albums/pp272/jonboy_01/DSC_0088.jpg

http://i419.photobucket.com/albums/pp272/jonboy_01/DSC_0075.jpg

Giant Haystacks
08-12-2009, 03:23
how do you find the slanted roof behind on the sound ,there is a cracking match for quads a old beard amp with 3 el84 per side and also a early electrocompaiet ,i will be getting made a high impedence otl amp for the quads i have, for now my friend got some one thing audio treble pannels done so that will be an interesting experiment over christmas ,i live in a country part and some of my friends were warming themselves at the quads, the hifi dealer in dublin noel cloney is also has a quad banning order to the garage.my lady says they are ugly but she hasnt heard better sound so thats good news for me but im not sure if the stacked would be pushing it .there is an asian man in cavan who has cary 211mono blocks with stacked 57s

Rare Bird
08-12-2009, 16:55
Could you not try Coles 4001 super tweeters?

Jonboy
08-12-2009, 17:05
I did wonder that Andre, especially as i have a pair of DM2's sitting down stairs awaiting someone to love them:(

I was after a pair of Kelly ribbons but they have gone up a bit in price:stalks:

I have just stuck my Quad 33/303 on the end of them, they have a bit more grunt to drive them now :)

kt66
09-01-2010, 10:04
Classique Sounds were doing coloured "socks"* for 57s a few years back, might be cheaper than getting the panels done.

*Audiophile socks of course.

Jonboy
09-01-2010, 11:14
The socks will only cover up the fact that i have still got to get them rebuilt:(

Cheers anyway, i will do them one day

Ali Tait
09-01-2010, 12:58
Dunnp if I've mentioned this before,but have a look here-

http://www.eraudio.com.au/ESL_Repair_Kits/esl_repair_kits.html

Jonboy
09-01-2010, 13:11
Yes i believe you have, thanks Ali, it's all down to skill and time to repair them all, One Thing Audio do a simular repair kit.:)

Ali Tait
09-01-2010, 13:41
I believe the ER kit comes with very comprehensive instructions.Their speaker kits certainly do.You get plenty of gear,so the worst that can happen is you have to do it over! I've had to redo one of my panels,and it's really not that difficult to do.As I say,the instructions are great.Go on,give it a go!

Jonboy
09-01-2010, 14:06
The One Thing kit looks to be about £80 and the Er kit is double @ £160 plus postage, not sure if they supply the same stuff though, i know your a fan of the ER stuff

Ali Tait
09-01-2010, 14:15
Wasn't aware of the prices,I got my stuff from the chap that built my speakers.I admit to some trepidation before doing mine,but it's really not difficult.