PDA

View Full Version : Nial's System - Tannoy, Lenco & Leak

ff1d1l
14-07-2009, 11:05
Some pics

The Lenco in slate plinth and the St 20 below, the Leak has had modern binding posts fitted and an alps pot, also wondercaps and nos telefunken output valves. The lenco was modded along the lines of the audiogon thread - resin reinforcement of top plate, replace springs with elastic, deaden idler wheel and arm with ptfe tape, rebuild and lube motor, clean and relube main bearing (and others!). I had a lingo & cirkus Linn with a Naim aro on prior to my Lenco adventure - same cartridge. I'd say this set up is an order of magnitude better, maybe 30 to 50 percent improvement. And the bass definition is of a quality the Linn never even hinted at.

http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/5908/lencoleak.jpg

http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/7500/lencoleakp2.jpg

The curse of the mummy effect on the arm is ptfe tape - notable reduction of strain and increase in clarity on loud passages makes this a top tip worthy of the pages of Viz.

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/4152/armclose.jpg

Speakers are birch ply, extensively braced between inner walls then with plaster cast inside to give non parallel surfaces. Rapping the cabinet confirms they are VERY dead. Cheap Argos duvet for internal wadding. Internal wiring PTFE wrapped silver. Ports are adjustable and I sometimes do. Driver chassis are earthed to house earth and magnet assembly braced from rear of cabinet. Dustcap removed too. These are the 12" monitor golds with butyl surrounds, btw. Crossovers aren't stock gold crossovers with adjustable pots, but are from silver series, and are external, connection with 4 terminal Speakon. Cable to amp is twin and earth mains cable (Twin and earth mains? I'll get my coat....)

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/6078/speakerh.jpg

Will take some photos of the Autographs and post soon.

Nial

Beechwoods
14-07-2009, 11:16
Hi Nial - I hope you don't mind but I've moved your pictures from the Tannoy thread into your own here. That way it's clearer to everyone to spot and we don't get too much thread drift over on the 'Marco's Tannoy' thread.

Welcome to AOS. Fantastic system you have there. I've a stock Lenco with homemade plinth and I think it sounds the business. I very much enjoy what mine does to vinyl playback :)

DSJR
14-07-2009, 12:11
Nial, we're not related are we? Your name is so rare around these parts and I have a London? based cousin who hailed from Nth Wales (with Irish roots too)

alb
14-07-2009, 12:26
Cable to amp is twin and earth mains cable (Twin and earth mains? I'll get my coat....)

Nial

Nothing wrong with mains cable. Which size have you decided on?
I'm on 2.5mm TE at the moment and thinking about trying some 4mm.

Spectral Morn
14-07-2009, 18:08
Nial, we're not related are we? Your name is so rare around these parts and I have a London? based cousin who hailed from Nth Wales (with Irish roots too)

Nial's the Irish/celtic version of my name Neil, it as does my name means champion;):lol::lol::lol:.

Regards D S D L

Marco
14-07-2009, 18:18
What, Daphne? :lol: :lol:

Away and pull yer drawers up! :lolsign:

Marco.

Barry
14-07-2009, 20:47
Hello Nial,

Interesting system you have there. I assume the VdH 'Frog' is a moving coil design - what do you use as a preamp?

I'm still getting over the shock of seeing your 'mummified' SME 3009/II!

Welcome to AoS.

roob
15-07-2009, 09:45
Do you have a link to the Audiogon Lenco thread ?

markf
16-07-2009, 16:01
Don't know about anyone else, but I wouldn't mind seeing the whole turntable wrapped in tape.
I think it could be done and it should all work nicely,probably just take time and alot of careful
wrapping of the individual parts (bearing excluded).

lexi
28-07-2009, 19:31
How did you get the plaster to stick on the insides of cabs? As you know Plaster and wood don`t really adhere. I`m guessing bonding agent like pva or maybe a multitude of small tack nails that the plaster can grip. Maybe a tile adhesive type plaster?

The movement of the timber in a centrally heated house is what can break the bond of wood?plaster. I give in now:confused: