PDA

View Full Version : Cheap replacement CD player

foxysounds
12-07-2009, 21:08
Hi all,

The CDP (Marantz CD52) in my kitchen is dying. It makes terrible noises when the drawer is closing and it's getting increasingly difficult to get a disc out again. I can't really complain - it was my main CDP for many many years and still gets a lot of use in the kitchen and I guess I bought it in about 1989!

I considered getting it repaired but I suspect that it might cost less to buy a similar quality replacement CD player second hand. At first I investigated buying a replacement CD52 (or CD52 Mk II) but it seems that the fault with mine is a common one and as these players will all be pretty old now, a replacement CD52 might not last too long.

I don't want to spend more than about 40ukp (I would go to 50 at a push if I thought it was really worth the extra). As I said, this is the second system and as it's in a kitchen it often competes with a boiler, kettle etc. The speakers aren't ideally positioned and it's only being amplified by a Cambridge Audio A1 amplifier. In short, I probably won't be able to determine minor differences in soundstage, or detail resolution in that environment. However, I don't want something that's going to disappoint when compared with the CD52 (which cost about 200ukp and was a pretty decent player in it's day).

Any tips on how to choose a cheap second hand CD player or any recommendations for models to look out for in my price range would be greatly appreciated. Alternatively, any recommendations for trustworthy repairers who might be able to inject some new life into my CD52 (in the same price range) would also be considered.

Many thanks,

Simon.

foxysounds
12-07-2009, 21:11
Oh by the way, I don't have an external DAC in the kitchen so any replacement CD player will have to stand on its own two feet (or four. But you know what I mean. Hopefully). :eyebrows:

Simon.

Stratmangler
12-07-2009, 23:09
This any use http://www.richersounds.com/product/cd-players-dacs/tangent/cdp50/tang-cdp50-sil ?

Might be worth a punt.

Chris:)

Covenant
13-07-2009, 12:43
The stable platter CD players are fine. I use a second hand Sony one but I have heard good things about Pioneer. Paid about £50 for mine. It only gets used to see if a disc is worth ripping so I dont need a really good one.

symon
13-07-2009, 13:03
I have a Pioneer PD s703. It was modified before I bought it so I can't answer for a stock unit. However, I really like it. For me it is a step up from some very bad basic machines. It wasn't until I heard music through the Pioneer that I realised how bad the other machines were. I heartily recommend this player. And the stable platter mechanism is kinda cool in itself.

Technics Fan
13-07-2009, 13:53
Have you thought about getting hold of a DVD player these have good transports and certainly worth looking as a source for a second system.

Theadmans
14-07-2009, 14:52
I've got a Pioneer pd-s705 - similar to the ps-s703 mentioned above. This is a lot of CD player for the money - only cost me £39 on eBay a few months ago. The stable platter mechanism is much better than the mechs in the marantz cd palyers I have owned in the past.

foxysounds
14-07-2009, 15:51
This any use http://www.richersounds.com/product/cd-players-dacs/tangent/cdp50/tang-cdp50-sil ?

Might be worth a punt.

Chris:)

Hi Chris,

Yes - that does look like it might be worth a punt. I found a review on line which was very positive about it - and that was at an asking price of $249 so at 39.99ukp it looks like a total bargain. I think I'll snap one up and take a listen!

Simon.

foxysounds
14-07-2009, 16:22
I have a Pioneer PD s703. It was modified before I bought it so I can't answer for a stock unit. However, I really like it. For me it is a step up from some very bad basic machines. It wasn't until I heard music through the Pioneer that I realised how bad the other machines were. I heartily recommend this player. And the stable platter mechanism is kinda cool in itself.

I'll investigate that - thanks Peter.

Simon.

foxysounds
14-07-2009, 16:25
Have you thought about getting hold of a DVD player these have good transports and certainly worth looking as a source for a second system.

Hi TechnicsFan,

As I said above, I don't use an external DAC in my second system and in my experience the DACs in DVD players tend not to be so great. I guess this makes sense since most people (or at least most audiophiles) will connect their DVD player either to an external DAC or to the DAC built into their surround amp.

Simon.

John
14-07-2009, 16:39
The Philips CD 630 is a good model you can get for about £40 on ebay
I use mine as a transport and out performs my Blu ray DVD player and computer which both sound good But I have not tried it as a stand alone player
http://www.lampizator.eu/lampizator/REFERENCES/Philips%20CD630/Philips%20CD-630%20CD%20player%20with%20TDA1541A%20DAC.html

Yiangos
16-07-2009, 07:38
I've read some very good comments for a new,entry level, Rotel cd player.can't remember where but can find out if you are interested.Rotels are not my cup of tea but if you can try one,what the heck ! :)

Codifus
16-07-2009, 17:36
Hi TechnicsFan,

As I said above, I don't use an external DAC in my second system and in my experience the DACs in DVD players tend not to be so great. I guess this makes sense since most people (or at least most audiophiles) will connect their DVD player either to an external DAC or to the DAC built into their surround amp.

Simon.

Simon,

you might be surprised by DVD players. I have a Panasonic S53. Like you, I never took the audio in DVD players seriously. But this device blew me away. I couldn't believe how good it sounded. I googled the Panasonic S series and found that a few audiophiles have also noticed. The Pannys are good, and cheap! You should give them a try.

foxysounds
16-07-2009, 20:28
Thanks for all the useful input everyone. I ordered the Tangent CDP50 which Chris pointed out. I'll let you know how I find it. If it's no good I'll sell it on and come back to this thread for more inspiration.

Thanks again,

Simon.

foxysounds
18-07-2009, 22:09
Well, the CDP-50 arrived yesterday and after allowing it some burn-in time I've done a quick review which you can read here (http://www.theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3338) if you're interested.

Thanks again for pointing this out Chris.

Simon.