PDA

View Full Version : Ever thought about

The Barbarian
16-05-2014, 20:37
listerning to your records instead of listerning to the stereo?

Kember
16-05-2014, 20:39

What would be the fun in that?!!:lol:

Audio Al
16-05-2014, 20:41
I just tried

Nothing happened until I put it on the Stereo :scratch:

istari_knight
16-05-2014, 20:58
Only on a Tuesday.

icehockeyboy
17-05-2014, 08:16

No way!

I don't have a turntable.....

Tim
17-05-2014, 08:24
:lol: that's a novel idea André - now go and wash your mouth out with soap and water you heretic!

CageyH
17-05-2014, 09:11
What happens if it is a mono recording? What do you listen to then?

The HiFi is only a tool.

RichB
17-05-2014, 10:04
Yes. Have you?

Gordon Steadman
17-05-2014, 10:08
I just tried

Nothing happened until I put it on the Stereo :scratch:

:lol:

The Barbarian
17-05-2014, 10:11
Be as sarcastic as you want..Im the one laughing at yer all

Gordon Steadman
17-05-2014, 10:18
Be as sarcastic as you want..Im the one laughing at yer all

Not me Andre, I'm with you.

When I tell them I have been listening to the same equipment for 25 years they don't believe me.

Al's comment was pretty good though:)

The Barbarian
17-05-2014, 10:25
Well, well done Gordon their is light at the end of the tunnel with some people. I really really cannot get into my head why people are constantly swapping & changing equipment/Wire.. It's totally over the top of my head! I know i used to buy a lot of equipment but it was never to use within my system, just for collecting purposes.. There's only be a few item ive used over many years that intended using within a system..

Tim
17-05-2014, 10:30
Mine was humour André, I hope you know that though by now ;)

sparrow
17-05-2014, 10:31
Had a mate with a decent hi fi..he was always putting crap music on to test the sq. Was always fiddling with the expensive equaliser. He used to get annoyed when I didn't notice any difference when he got a new bit of cable or the like. He never listened to an album all the way through. He was obsessed by superior sq to the stage he would lose sleep over a buzzing sound coming from his speakers only he could hear.

Tim
17-05-2014, 10:38
Had a mate with a decent hi fi..he was always putting crap music on to test the sq. Was always fiddling with the expensive equaliser. He used to get annoyed when I didn't notice any difference when he got a new bit of cable or the like. He never listened to an album all the way through. He was obsessed by superior sq to the stage he would lose sleep over a buzzing sound coming from his speakers only he could hear.
Audio paranoia and I genuinely feel for these folk as they are fixated on the system, not the music. It seems to me that many so called audiophiles rarely listen to/experience 'real' music, play an instrument or understand how a tuned piano or a perfect pitch female voice actually sounds in real life - they are listening to the Hi-Fi and a lot of high end Hi-Fi sounds like Hi-Fi and not real music.

Anyway, I'll get my coat . . . .

The Barbarian
17-05-2014, 11:00
100% Tim

diviy
18-05-2014, 00:08
Audio paranoia and I genuinely feel for these folk as they are fixated on the system, not the music. It seems to me that many so called audiophiles rarely listen to/experience 'real' music, play an instrument or understand how a tuned piano or a perfect pitch female voice actually sounds in real life - they are listening to the Hi-Fi and a lot of high end Hi-Fi sounds like Hi-Fi and not real music.

what he said at the end of the day its the music that really matters from the radio in the van to a full blown mega bucks system .
Mine aint the best but god i love listing to music still remember the first album i ever sat down and listened to Led zepplin 1 been hooked ever since and that was 37 years ago.

Markiii
18-05-2014, 06:03
well at least your laughing

jollyfix
18-05-2014, 07:48
I listen to the music, always have, always will. Whether that is on a good HiFI, in the car, round a mates place on some Argos bought one box treble machine etc. I enjoy it more on a good system, but at the end of the day, if its a great song, its a great song, and that for me is the main thing.
Some HiFi friends are the same, but there is one mate who never seems satisfied , and never seems to play some songs/LPs to the end.
I think some people play music, some listen to music. Most people i know play music and mainly in their cars, or in the background in the kitchen on some Bose thing. To try and get them to listen to music, actually sit down and just listen, is a nightmare. When round at my gaff, i will play a song i know they love, "that sounds nice", then they just start chatting.

Tim
18-05-2014, 08:17
Very, very rough estimate and only my opinion, but I think of people like this - there are those that;

Actually dislike music
Have no real opinion
Purely radio listeners
Enjoy listening different ways and occasionally buy (the iPod generation)
Really enjoy music, mostly background and buy often. Occasional live shows and the odd festival with mates.
People who actually 'listen' to music - the 'listeners'. The gear is an essential element to a 'listener'.
Are 'really into' music in a big way. Play constantly, buy constantly and attend live shows regularly. Good gear and sound is important, but not essential - the music always comes first.

The first five are the 'shuffle' players. The last two mainly play albums from start to finish as the artist intended and often sit and concentrate to do this. I put audiophiles (whatever one is, hate the term actually) at 6. I count myself as a 7 ;)
I feel there is quite a difference between a 'listener' and a 'really into' personality.

Just fun, don't feel the need to pick it apart, but I'm sure someone will :lol:

(I think AoS in the main has a good mix of those who really enjoy music and gear)

The Barbarian
18-05-2014, 08:31
Tim you forgot the ones that buy very expensive equipment to sit & look at, brag about or what ever they do other than what a stereo is intended for..They can't use it because they have no music to play, unless they are a bit adventurous, at least only a half a dozen records purchases on the basis of the recording quality..

:lol:

Marco
18-05-2014, 08:33
I totally agree with your sentiments, Tim - and I also count myself as a '7', simply because my daily activities fulfil the criteria :)

Thing is though, as much as I love music (and I have a very large and diverse physical music collection to prove it), I also love good sound, and so I'm equally as passionate about hearing my favourite tunes at their best, as I am about owning the tunes themselves.

Therefore, in that respect, there's nothing wrong with tinkering with one's system now and then, in order to maximise the former... The trick is not to make it an obsession.

Also, let's remember that this is, first and foremost, a hi-fi forum, so if it was ALL about the music, 90% of AoS would be dead!! ;)

I think some folk forget that there are two hobbies being actively participated in on here: the love of LISTENING TO MUSIC, and the pursuing of the love of GOOD SOUND - and the two don't need to be mutually exclusive.

Marco.

Tim
18-05-2014, 09:23
I think some folk forget that there are two hobbies being actively participated in on here: the love of LISTENING TO MUSIC, and the pursuing of the love of GOOD SOUND - and the two don't need to be mutually exclusive.

Absolutely and you can't have one without the other, but each is important. And you are right, AoS is primarily a Hi-Fi forum ;)

Joe
18-05-2014, 09:33
I'm definitely a 2. I have no real opinion about anything.

lurcher
18-05-2014, 09:40
Its all well poking fun at this made up person, and having a good laugh at us. But I have never actually met any one like that, I have been to loads of hifi shows of all sorts, talked to loads of people and they all seemed to have a real deep love of music.

Not saying your target person doesn't exist, but I have never met them, and I dont see anyone on this forum that deserves that description.

You could equally poke fun at people who collect hifi equipment and then never listen to it. Like owning a guitar but never playing it.

jandl100
18-05-2014, 09:41
Yep, I enjoy music and playing around with hifi gear.
They are two independent but mutually supportive hobbies as far as I am concerned. :)

It's a bit school playgroundy to say nya nya , I like music better than you do

Joe
18-05-2014, 09:45
It's a weird conundrum. Is the person who listens to shedloads of music at home but rarely goes to live events more or less of a 'music lover' than someone who listens to less music at home but goes to lots of gigs/concerts? Who is qualified to judge?

Marco
18-05-2014, 09:46
Absolutely and you can't have one without the other, but each is important. And you are right, AoS is primarily a Hi-Fi forum...

...with a very active music section, which shows that the majority of its resident 'audiophiles' are also genuine music lovers ;)

Marco.

Tim
18-05-2014, 09:47
It all means not a lot to be honest Jerry/Marco, semantics and personal opinion and to be honest the only person that my opinion is important to is me and I'm a confirmed daftee!

Anyhoots, I'm off to indulge my hobby, doh!, obsession, doh! . . . passion, ah that sounds better. The men in white coats can back off now, its just a passion and that's cool isn't it? ;)

Maybe we should ban the word 'audiophile' . . . what is one anyway? :scratch:

Marco
18-05-2014, 09:49
It's a weird conundrum. Is the person who listens to shedloads of music at home but rarely goes to live events more or less of a 'music lover' than someone who listens to less music at home but goes to lots of gigs/concerts?

I would say that those most into music indulge in a healthy amount of both! [Count me in].

Marco.

Joe
18-05-2014, 09:52
I would say that those most into music indulge in a healthy amount of both! [Count me in].

Marco.

But the person who goes to more gigs will have totally knackered hearing at an earlier age. I SAID THE PERSON WHO GOES TO MORE GIGS WILL HAVE TOTALLY KNACKERED HEARING AT AN EARLIER AGE.

Marco
18-05-2014, 09:58
Lol... Not if you've looked after your ears (and it also depends on where you sit at gigs).

These days, at an amplified gig, I make sure that I'm sat well away from the main speakers, and if the sound is stupidly loud (as it tends to be at some rock gigs), I'll pop some earplugs in - doesn't worry me, as I can still soak up the atmosphere. The most important thing, at the end of the day, is preserving my hearing.

I believe that Tim, for example, uses some kind of gadget which knocks a few db off of the sound levels.

Marco.

Tim
18-05-2014, 10:12
I believe that Tim, for example, uses some kind of gadget which knocks a few db off of the sound levels.

Marco.
I do Marco (good memory on that man!). I was worried about loud gigs as I can sense the hint of tinnitus in my left ear occasionally and my Mum suffered from it. I have walked out of loud gigs too, Motorhead a couple of years back lasted 2.5 songs which is a shame as I wanted to see them, but f**k me they were loud! My ears were ringing just after those songs and I went outside to read a book, whilst waiting for Alice Cooper. His whole set was significantly quieter than MH and my ears were almost back to normal by the end of his show. I dread to think what damage would have been done had I stayed for the entire thing.

I often use musicians earplugs, but these days my style of music is rarely played that loud and I favour female vocal and acoustic. Folk like Natalie Merchant and Rosanne Cash are hardly loud ;) I don't enjoy music too loud at home either, which Harbeth SHL5's are perfect for. Mind you Zeppelin and Sabbath get the drivers moving . . .

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w63/greatgig/shoppingqtbnANd9GcSK9m47SMGBA5Ku1xE_zps2c3e34af.jp g

If anyone wants some, just Google Musicians Earplugs - I got them from Amazon, but there are oodles of outlets.

Marco
18-05-2014, 10:15
Nice one, Tim. I think I'll get a set of those! :)

Marco.

anthonyTD
18-05-2014, 10:18
I think on the whole, people who own a decent system have arrived at what they have for one main reason, to reproduce the music they love in a way that maximizes the emotional impact on an individual level. This is how i arrived at what i currently use, I never really intended owning a system that could be classed as expensive, my initial intention was to end up with a system that gave me the most enjoyment from the music i loved, and a system that encouraged me to want to keep on listening...
A...

Clive197
18-05-2014, 10:30
I think on the whole, people who own a decent system have arrived at what they have for one main reason, to reproduce the music they love in a way that maximizes the emotional impact on an individual level. This is how i arrived at what i currently use, I never really intended owning a system that could be classed as expensive, my initial intention was to end up with a system that gave me the most enjoyment from the music i loved, and a system that encouraged me to want to keep on listening...
A...

Could't have said it better myself. Right on dude.

Clive

walpurgis
18-05-2014, 10:52
But the person who goes to more gigs will have totally knackered hearing at an earlier age. I SAID THE PERSON WHO GOES TO MORE GIGS WILL HAVE TOTALLY KNACKERED HEARING AT AN EARLIER AGE.

Pardon? I didn't quite catch that. :)

My hearing is a bit knackered actually, but not totally knackered.

losenotaminute
18-05-2014, 10:56
Lol... Not if you've looked after your ears (and it also depends on where you sit at gigs).

These days, at an amplified gig, I make sure that I'm sat well away from the main speakers, and if the sound is stupidly loud (as it tends to be at some rock gigs), I'll pop some earplugs in - doesn't worry me, as I can still soak up the atmosphere. The most important thing, at the end of the day, is preserving my hearing.

I believe that Tim uses some kind of gadget which knocks a few db off of the sound levels.

Marco.

It doesn't have to be an amplified gig to be loud....I went to hear Shostakovich's Tenth on Friday played by a full compliment of the RSNO, and at times I found it very loud. Those trumpets, horns and trombones can put out quite a few decibels!

Marco
18-05-2014, 12:05
Indeed, Lawerence. The difference, however, is the levels of distortion kicked out by some of the worst PA rigs at rock concerts - it's that which does most of the damage to your hearing!

Whilst music has been realistically loud, it's never been uncomfortably loud at any classical concert I've attended :)

Marco.

Yomanze
19-05-2014, 17:43

Yeah walking out of a gig with a lisp because I couldn't hear myself for the ringing when I was 17 definitely had a permanent impact on my hearing. :P

nat8808
19-05-2014, 21:35

Marco.

Haha ! A gig where you SIT kind of sums something up ... not sure what, but it does.

nat8808
19-05-2014, 21:42

What you hear from your records changes with the stereo you have...

To be able to listen to the music without hearing the stereo's interpretation is impossible unless you lean more on imagination than current sensory experience (which many non-audiophiles do I spose and I do when listening to poor stereos like car ones, singing along etc).

Perhaps you only mean where people's attentions lay? That's up to each person, whatever pleases them - all free to do things our own way!

Marco
19-05-2014, 21:52
Haha ! A gig where you SIT kind of sums something up ... not sure what, but it does.

Perhaps the fact that I have a bad back (weakness left from having a spinal tumour removed), so can't stand for long?

Marco.

The Barbarian
19-05-2014, 22:42

:zzz:

nat8808
19-05-2014, 22:57
Perhaps the fact that I have a bad back (weakness left from having a spinal tumour removed), so can't stand for long?

Marco.

There was no malice - you have to go to certain types of concert, gigs to be able to sit down in the first place. Can't take a chair into the mosh pit! That was all...

That said, the most ear bleeding gig I've been to was a sit-down gig to see Stars of the Lid at St John at Hackney Church - one of the support acts was a bloke generating extreme noise (on purpose, noise music) and because of the queue to get in which wasn't moving, we spend a while at a next door pub instead. When we got in we spotted a couple of seats empty... near the front.

I just had to fight the embarrasment and put my fingers in my ears :D .

Distortion via physical effects on the inner ear is an interesting sound to let your mind run free in, but not good for future enjoyment of sound.

nat8808
19-05-2014, 23:00

Time for bed? Bored with life?

To be honest, IMO the original statement which started the thread is such a cliché AND vague that it's meaningless. I tried to give it some mileage with perhaps some meaning thrown at it, see what stuck. I guess you didn't really want a response :confused:

Fortunately others have moved it on to something with meaning ..

nat8808
19-05-2014, 23:18

It's not to do with hifi though - hifi is just something to project that mindset on.

To continue the music theme, observe a musician who seems more obsessed about their sound via amps and guitars or via the recording process and so inhibits their enjoyment of actually playing the music..

Think of a car enthusiast who insists that the slight dulling of the paintwork means it needs another re-spray or it spends 9 months of the year undergoing engine cleaning or upgrades or slight tweeks or trips to the BHP measuring station - yet is driven properly about twice a year.. to car club meets!

People with finikerty-ness will blight their lives in many areas. For some it's tidyness and neatness instead.

nat8808
19-05-2014, 23:21
Therefore, in that respect, there's nothing wrong with tinkering with one's system now and then, in order to maximise the former... The trick is not to make it an obsession.

Also, let's remember that this is, first and foremost, a hi-fi forum, so if it was ALL about the music, 90% of AoS would be dead!! ;)

Marco.

Amen to that!

Now, collecting hifi just for the sake of looking at it or having a matching set. What the hell is that all about!? :mental:

Got to have some promise of making the music sound great or it's nothing more than an obsession like the car example above.

Joe
20-05-2014, 06:39
Amen to that!

Now, collecting hifi just for the sake of looking at it or having a matching set. What the hell is that all about!? :mental:

Got to have some promise of making the music sound great or it's nothing more than an obsession like the car example above.

I don't like the word 'obsession' in this context as it's a loaded word, but there's certainly a different mindset at work between trying out lots of stuff and keeping more boxes than you use, and accumulating multiple examples of, say, amps 'just to look at'. A similar distinction is at work between people who buy and read lots of books, and 'book collectors' who are only interested in particular editions, which they never read for fear of damaging the dust jacket. I'm definitely in the first category wrt books, as I don't consciously 'collect' them (they just accumulate and I rarely get rid of any) and I'd just as soon have a charity shop copy than a hardback first edition.

Collecting hifi is in itself no better and no worse than having lots of excess 'stuff' cluttering up the place, and a collector will at least tend to keep their collection tidy and in good nick.

MartinT
20-05-2014, 06:53
It's the collection that gives away whether the person is a music enthusiast. Not everyone can afford an expensive hi-fi system, but a good and varied music collection built up over the years says that they enjoy music. Another clue is that they want to talk about music, concerts and bands.

Oh, and I agree with Tim: it's a passion and I have always called it that.

jandl100
20-05-2014, 07:00

Mmmm. :hmm:

It all depends.

I've started collecting vintage kit just cos I like the looks of it - ornaments, nothing more.

I recently acquired a Rotel RA-1412 on eBay, it was listed as untested and therefore very unlikely to work, and it doesn't. But I bought it at an acceptable price.
It's One Big Mutha of a beast and I just think it looks yummy and impressive and I like having it on my shelves! :)
I might even get a repair guy to look at it sometime, but I'm not fussed.

Here's my vintage corner ....

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii114/jandl100/DSCF9848_zps8553bd80.jpg

The Alto and Marantz work - the Alto competes happily with the best of the best imo and the Marantz is an excellent headphone amp!.
The Rotel has "issues" :eyebrows: but I just love the look of it! :eek:

Gordon Steadman
20-05-2014, 07:33
Hey.....I'm with Jerry:eek:

Whilst my main system is virtually where it has been for 25 years, there are other bit scattered around the house that very rarely get switched on but do get looked at from time to time.

I really miss my Quad gear because it is fabulous industrial design. I have some facias from an early set mounted in a frame, hanging on a wall.

I'm sure a lot of it is to do with our age. Those of us that lived through the boom time in the 60s, 70s and early 80s, saw some fabulous machines. Problem was, that were were a lot of other things fighting for attention and the readies. I keep seeing stuff on eBay that I lusted after when I was younger and it is now affordable, the temptation is just to scratch the itch.

I have an old Rogers Ravensbrook that I use as my headphone amp - looks great too.

I used to race slot cars. Upstairs, I still have all my old cars (we are talking 'pro' you peasants not toys like Scalextrix:eyebrows:) When I see a good one come up for sale, I still want it although I haven't had a track for 20 years and it won't get used. A new track is on the list for my REAL retirement, not the practise one, I'm doing at the mo.

Marco
20-05-2014, 08:02
There was no malice - you have to go to certain types of concert, gigs to be able to sit down in the first place. Can't take a chair into the mosh pit! That was all...

I know - I was just making a point :)

The "mosh pit" thing wouldn't interest me one iota: mingling with the sweaty lower orders, lol. When I go to rock gigs, it's generally to the Manchester Arena, which has plenty of seats... I like my creature comforts! ;)

Marco.

Marco
20-05-2014, 08:07
It's the collection that gives away whether the person is a music enthusiast. Not everyone can afford an expensive hi-fi system, but a good and varied music collection built up over the years says that they enjoy music. Another clue is that they want to talk about music, concerts and bands.

Exactamondo! :thumbsup:

Marco.

The Barbarian
20-05-2014, 10:03
Time for bed? Bored with life?

To be honest, IMO the original statement which started the thread is such a cliché AND vague that it's meaningless. I tried to give it some mileage with perhaps some meaning thrown at it, see what stuck. I guess you didn't really want a response :confused:

Fortunately others have moved it on to something with meaning ..

Hows about giving it a rest?

r100
20-05-2014, 11:41
... People with finikerty-ness will blight their lives in many areas. For some it's tidyness and neatness instead.

true !

nat8808
20-05-2014, 15:42

Oh, and I agree with Tim: it's a passion and I have always called it that.

Not necessarily a complete picture there - I hate talking about bands and concerts (I find it nerdy and boring or are personal experiences which don't translate to conversation) and talking about music is often so loaded with social overtones and competition that it can be painful too (e.g. people going so over the top enthusiastic about a band or how they luurrrve this music or other yet their actions say differently, or people telling others how boring or crap their tastes are or blah blah blah - social politics at work so often, even when agreeing and creating false bonds, a new band buddy).

I listen to the radio and internet radio a lot these days because there's so much stuff out there which captures me on first listen that it's kind of adictive - in some ways don't really need a music collection at all to be a lover of music!

nat8808
20-05-2014, 15:48

Hows about giving it a rest?

Hey! That was essentially my message to you..

Touché :fence:

nat8808
20-05-2014, 16:07
Mmmm. :hmm:

It all depends.

I've started collecting vintage kit just cos I like the looks of it - ornaments, nothing more.

That's not a collection! :lol:

I do like good looking gear myself but ultimately I'm a little disappointed and loose interest if that good looking thing isn't anything special sonically. I feel like I've been there already though and I've come to the conclusion that there's not real pleasure in it, it's very much "of the mind" .

Not to say that it's the same for everyone, just can't relate to it.

That's still a different thing to buying in order to get matching or complete sets for example - one off products which are visually or tactily pleasing (essentially industrial design art) is a different mindset to thinking "I must have an all Rotel 1979 system!" or "I must have a complete set of orange/black eye Island Records releases!"

Naughty Nigel
20-05-2014, 16:30
Very, very rough estimate and only my opinion, but I think of people like this - there are those that;

Actually dislike music
Have no real opinion
Purely radio listeners
Enjoy listening different ways and occasionally buy (the iPod generation)
Really enjoy music, mostly background and buy often. Occasional live shows and the odd festival with mates.
People who actually 'listen' to music - the 'listeners'. The gear is an essential element to a 'listener'.
Are 'really into' music in a big way. Play constantly, buy constantly and attend live shows regularly. Good gear and sound is important, but not essential - the music always comes first.

The first five are the 'shuffle' players. The last two mainly play albums from start to finish as the artist intended and often sit and concentrate to do this. I put audiophiles (whatever one is, hate the term actually) at 6. I count myself as a 7 ;)
I feel there is quite a difference between a 'listener' and a 'really into' personality.

Just fun, don't feel the need to pick it apart, but I'm sure someone will :lol:

(I think AoS in the main has a good mix of those who really enjoy music and gear)

Tim: I have to agree with you about 'Audio Paranoia'.

However, you have missed out the most important group of all: those of us who actually make and experience live music on a regular basis and know what it really sounds and feels like!

My system is old. The newest components (the loudspeakers) are about ten years old. My amplifiers are even older than I am!

The system builder says their equipment provides 'the closest approach to the original sound', which is probably a fair description; although I am under no illusions. At best it provides a very convincing representation of the original sound, but this is entirely dependent on the quality of the recording. Surely, once you get to the point that your system exposes minor differences in the quality of commercial recordings or FM radio broadcasts then there is little point in upgrading further?

(I would not even consider listening to DAB radio or an iPod through this system as the quality is so poor.)

Having said that, I can get just as much enjoyment from listening to the car radio or iPod when travelling, or even the portable in the Kitchen whilst making tea. Music matters above all, and you shouldn't need solid gold interconnects or 'king's new suit of clothes' separates to enjoy it. If you do, you probably don't have a real interest in music or its meaning at all.

Nigel.

The Barbarian
20-05-2014, 16:30
Hey! That was essentially my message to you..

Touché :fence:

:rolleyes:

jandl100
20-05-2014, 17:11
That's not a collection! :lol:

Well, it's a start. :ner:

2 of the 3 were bought for their looks alone. Yummy Marantz receiver and butch Rotel amp. :drool: The Alto was for its sq reputation, but I love the looks, too.

Joe
20-05-2014, 17:17
It's easy to tell the music fans from the equipment fans. The former don't list their kit!

Marco
20-05-2014, 17:44
It's easy to tell the music fans from the equipment fans. The former don't list their kit!

Pish... It's a damn sight quicker than listing my music collection!! :D

Marco.

Joe
20-05-2014, 18:00
Pish... It's a damn sight quicker than listing my music collection!! :D

Marco.

I long ago lost track of mine. I measure it by the yard for insurance purposes.

There's a photo somewhere of my brother, aged 12 or so, proudly standing next to our combined record collection of about a dozen LPs. Those I remember being in the photo include the Rolling Stones compilation 'Through The Past Darkly' in the octagonal sleeve, 'Cosmo's Factory' by Creedence Clearwater Revival; Sergeant Pepper and 'Best of Cream'.

nat8808
20-05-2014, 23:18
:rolleyes:

r100
21-05-2014, 06:43
I listen to the radio and internet radio a lot these days because there's so much stuff out there which captures me on first listen that it's kind of adictive - in some ways don't really need a music collection at all to be a lover of music!

Same here... I've given my collection and turntable to my teenage daughters and embarced on an infinite discovery of dematerialized music which to me is the way to go at the moment.

MartinT
21-05-2014, 15:27
Even Spotify at high bitrate isn't good enough to get rid of a proper collection!

r100
21-05-2014, 20:28
maybe, but i listen to waaaay more good fresh music nowadays.. mind you, spotify is not my only source. And it doesn't sound that bad either with a good DAC which has replaced my old thorens td 125mk2. But agreed, if the Internet goes down, which is extremely rare, the streaming stops.. I have a backup of all my CD rips and other stuff on a NAS though. It's just so much more convenient to me.

That having been said, I respect the purists who cherish their vinyl collections and who love the LP listening ritual.