PDA

View Full Version : Am I jealous ?

Peter Stockwell
06-07-2009, 07:49
There's a thread on the Naim forum about adding a 2nd PS to a 555. As you might imagine, they're ecstatic about the improvements. I'm a naim fanboi, but I just can't get my head around such a 3 box CD player. i'm more than happy with my Squeezebox Classic, and if I want to listen to something better, the SL1210. The CDX isn't bad either. Just can't imagine that I need to spend so much to make it better.

Marco
06-07-2009, 08:21
Hi Peter,

I try not to be cynical about these things, as I don't feel that it does forums any favours, so I won't touch on any of that and instead remain constructive.

I've got no doubt that the second PSU will give a significant improvement because, quite simply, one can never have 'too big' a power supply in any type of equipment, as this will further reduce noise in the circuit, which will make everything down the line work that little bit better. In a revealing high-end Naim system, such improvements will be significant and quite noticeable.

*However* it's also rather like applying a very large bandage to tackle a problem which requires more intensive/radical surgery. The 555 is rather better than your CDX is as standard, but it still has some of the issues of the Naim presentation that Mark eradicated in your CDX - and he did this by making much more fundamental changes/improvements (as you see it) by carrying out the necessary intensive surgery, which will overall achieve more than simply adding a bigger power supply will.

In short, adding a bigger PSU to a CDP (by having two rather than one) will simply give you 'more' of the Naim sound, warts and all. Mark's mods to your CDX are much more fundamental and beneficial than that.

Therefore, taking into consideration the huge cost of adding a second PSU to the 555, the Audiocom mods you've undertaken to your CDX represent significantly higher SPPV, and as far as I'm concerned that's what it's all about. The 'sound per pound' value of your Audiocom upgrades is far higher than the Naim boys are getting by adding a second PSU to their 555. Furthermore, your modified CDX now is in my opinion likely to be in the same ballpark as a CDS3 for a fraction of the cost, so you're entitled to feel rather smug about that :)

I meant to pick up on a comment you made before on the Audiocom CDX thread, which I will transfer to here and deal with later. I suspect that you might find it interesting ;)

Marco.

Peter Stockwell
06-07-2009, 08:25
I meant to pick up on a comment you made before on the Audiocom CDX thread, which I will transfer to here and deal with later. I suspect that you might find it interesting ;)

What be dat ?

Marco
06-07-2009, 08:32
You'll find out later when I get a chance to type it! :eyebrows:

Marco.

Peter Stockwell
06-07-2009, 08:43
patience ? what! ;)

aquapiranha
06-07-2009, 13:49
So how much does the top flight CD cost with the two PSU's?

Now, take a step back and consider that amount of oiney for a moment.

now make an appointment to see a shrink if you can convince yourself it is good value.

Peter Stockwell
06-07-2009, 14:01
So how much does the top flight CD cost with the two PSU's?

Now, take a step back and consider that amount of oiney for a moment.

now make an appointment to see a shrink if you can convince yourself it is good value.

I think it depend on how much money your are prepared to throw away. I know people, and lot's of them, that think £500 for a hifi system is excessive, but will happily spend £30k+ on a car.

Mike Reed
10-07-2009, 09:49
I think it depend on how much money your are prepared to throw away. I know people, and lot's of them, that think £500 for a hifi system is excessive, but will happily spend £30k+ on a car.

Not so surprising, really, as the £30K car will probably incorporate £500 quid's worth of hifi.

For that you get terrestial transportation as a bonus to the heavenly (Nirvana) type.

Seriously, whereas I'd willingly consider any CDP which incorporates all of the sonic and ephemeral advantages of vinyl with all the convenience and cleanliness of classical cds, I am sceptical that this can be achieved, let alone by a Naim CDP.

As I'm speaking from a paucity of experience, I nurture the thought that these machines may, in fact, be out there somewhere. Meanwhile, my Meridian G08 makes a reasonable fist of things.