PDA

View Full Version : Album Club - Week 142: 22/04/2014: Len - You Can't Stop the Bum Rush (1999)

Album Club
21-04-2014, 23:06
This is the final choice in the current round of Album Club and we have Andy (Tarzan) to thanks for it. Thanks a lot Andy!

Len - You Can't Stop the Bum Rush (1999)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61%2BeBf4y9oL.jpg

spotify:album:5HSrkpKs0kEhEMuM3ZkG8W

Wikki links:
Band (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Len_(band))
Album (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_Can't_Stop_the_Bum_Rush)

Welcome to my Album Club choice, which for me is very leftfield and not something which l normally would listen to.
Len basically consist of the brother/sister combination of Sharon and Marc Costanzo and a band of various session musicians.

It all started with the classic "Steal my sunshine" a feel good summer anthem, the accompanying video l loved, so trying to purchase the 12" vinyl proved unsuccessful, so what are you supposed to do? - Purchase the CD album of course daftee!

The album kicks off with the classic " steal my sunshine" a feel good groove with a killer but simple chorus, the album continues with loads of old school hip hop/rock/rap/metal genres of music and l felt myself thinking a couple of times are they taking the micheal a bit?

As stated it is a very old school all genres of music represented, but you do find yourself coming back to it ( a good sign), but is quite a hard album to review as it covers so many styles but every track has a hook but l would like to mention track 11 "Junebug", a soulful song of love and a beautiful melody and is the standout track of the album, so l say to all " get your beach towels out" and go and have a party and listen to this album, because you loose.....

" a million miles of fun"..........enjoy the album as much as l do. thanks for looking.

- Len loving daftee

Audio Al
22-04-2014, 09:46
Andy Andy Andy :doh:

I thought there was hope for you , then you do this :eek:

OMG

WTF

All come to mind :lol:

I did endure all the tracks , all I can say is it IS very different :scratch:

4 out of 10 from me , not being a hip hop bad ass type of guy ;)

vouk
22-04-2014, 14:30
A 6/10 for me; not so much for the music but for the really fun memories it brings back: Summer, Santorini, parties by the beach, scantily clad girls open and ready for anything. Back in the day when we still had the drachma..You get the picture.:cool:

Bazil
22-04-2014, 18:17
I do like the first track , I never get fed up with it but the rest does nothing for me, so a very generous 5/10.

Tarzan
23-04-2014, 18:35
Andy Andy Andy :doh:

I thought there was hope for you , then you do this :eek:

OMG

WTF

All come to mind :lol:

I did endure all the tracks , all I can say is it IS very different :scratch:

4 out of 10 from me , not being a hip hop bad ass type of guy ;)

Thank you for posting your thoughts, ( musical taste is subjective is it not) only unfortunately having been exposed to your musical tastes on several occasions l cannot your opinion seriously kind Sir.:ner:

ruleof72
27-04-2014, 01:13
Interesting choice. I've never heard of LEN but I figured why not give it a listen. There is quite a wide variety of musical styles, unfortunately many of them I'm not a huge fan of. There are a couple of catchy songs though. Steal My Sunshine is a fun track as is June Bug which has a nice "smooth jazzy" feel to it. A 6 out of 10 for me.

velocesprint
01-05-2014, 11:29
Having listened to this 4 or 5 times I am getting to quite like it. At times it does sound quite dated, however I find it makes me smile which is always a good sign. Definitely a few standout tracks such as Steal My Sunshine, Hot Rod Monster Jam, Feelin Alright and June Bug. Great choice.

losenotaminute
03-05-2014, 08:37
Unexpectedly fun and musical. Not something I thought I would enjoy, but very happy to listen all the way through and give this a 6/10.

loo
05-05-2014, 13:34
took me an age to get spotify to play this(no idea why) but it was worth the effort .
6/10 from me
Paul

MartinT
27-05-2014, 06:11
This just doesn't work for me at all. 2/10