PDA

View Full Version : Dealer discount ?

IHP
20-04-2014, 10:58
I'm awaiting some specific kit to turn up on the used market, and am happy to wait a while - patience always pays off. In the meantime, what do you think is the highest discount you can ask a dealer for when you don't want a dem, just a simple sale, but without taking the p**s ? A serious question ! The RRP of the kit I want is £2100.

walpurgis
20-04-2014, 11:23
patience always pays off.

I've been hoping to come across a Pass Labs Aleph 3 at a sane price for about two years now. No luck yet.

Macca
20-04-2014, 11:25
Start at 50%. That is taking the piss but it is just a starting point for negotiation and he should realise that. If he hangs up the 'phone than he is not much of a salesman.

purite audio
20-04-2014, 11:29
Yes it doesn't hurt to ask, the dealer shouldn't be offended and it will be a starting point .
Keith.

Clive197
20-04-2014, 12:19
Never try to ask for a massive discount over the phone, the dealer knows your shopping around and playing one dealer off against another.
Go into the dealer and look him straight in the eye and ask for the discount you feel appropriate. The dealer will be less inclined to ignore you, he won't want you to walk out, therefor more inclined to haggle. Remember asking for a huge discount on a popular piece of kit is never going to end well for you. If the item is rare you are going to have an uphill struggle.
Just remember their are no hard and fast rules, there are too many facters in play.

Clive

IHP
20-04-2014, 13:00
Blimey, starting at 50%, I don't know if I dare ! I guess for a Croft 25R Power and 7 Pre I'd pay £800 and £400 respectively if used (this is what I've paid, and sold (doh !)). before. £1300 would be 62%. I'll email a couple of dealers. I think it fair to say for their sake I'll keep the results confidential ! Failing that I'll hang on for a bit. Keith, I wish you sold Croft ;-)

Lodgesound
20-04-2014, 15:13
Do your homework.....know what you are buying and it's actual value along with trade price etc. Be polite and do not try and be clever.....most dealers know the market far better than you do but are also open to sensible negotiation.

I remember having to deal with a person selling open reel machines. He made the mistake of treating me like stupid public scum and did not have even the courtesy to ask my background. Needless to say as a buyer I will not tolerate or even negotiate in the face of such complete ignorance however I could have understood it had I been rude to him in the first place which I was not.

Often a seller tactic is to ask you to make them an "offer" which they then belittle and try to make you feel small.

If that happens do 2 things...it is very simple.

1. Say nothing, turn around and walk away.

2. NEVER EVER deal with them again.

Remember the first rule when buying any luxury item.....that you do NOT need it.

Hope this is of help. There is nothing wrong with politeness and there is no excuse for rudeness...EVER.

Incidentally I think if you go in at £1800 with an expectation of doing a deal at £1900 - £1950 that would be reasonable on an RRP of £2100.