PDA

View Full Version : Spam / phishing / trojan site - pretending to be from Heathcote Audio

nat8808
18-04-2014, 01:48
Just thought I should warn people in this forum about this as it's the most likely to be seen.

I've just been sent a very dodgy email pretending to come from Heathcote Audio, "heathcoteaudio@aol.com"

(AOL ?!! HAHA .. :lol: These people need to try harder, it's not 1995! Does AOL really still exist? OK, maybe it does.. not here in the UK though I don't think?)

Anyway, needless to say, don't click on the link as it's bound to install some kind of malware on your computer.

Here's the content:

Hi!
News: http://lyndseyhighlander.com*************/fhpt/view.php

heathcoteaudio@aol.com

I added the ************* so you can't inadvertantly click on it, as the forum software is bound to pick it up as a link.

Mods - if this has been posted elsewhere, feel free to remove it, or move it after some time if you don't want it in Blank Canvas anyway

Marco
18-04-2014, 07:33
Thanks for the warning, Nat. I've also received the email, but just deleted it immediately.

(AOL ?!! HAHA .. :lol: These people need to try harder, it's not 1995! Does AOL really still exist? OK, maybe it does.. not here in the UK though I don't think?)

Yes, it's still around. I've been using it since 2000! Suit me just fine :)

Marco.

hifi_dave
18-04-2014, 08:56
I get around 30 different spam, phishing e-mails per day and I reckon that 30% of these come from aol.fr.

StanleyB
18-04-2014, 11:05
Yes, it's still around. I've been using it since 2000! Suit me just fine :)

Marco.
Aha so you are the secret AOL spammer on AoS.

The Barbarian
18-04-2014, 12:13
Why do people keep assuming they are not around anymore? as with Marco i still use it.

StuN
18-04-2014, 18:33
Served me well since 1996...

nat8808
19-04-2014, 01:20
Why do people keep assuming they are not around anymore? as with Marco i still use it.

So it's not just me? Must be something in it then..

Well, they used to be everywhere falling out of every magazine since the beginning of the 90s as a kind of internet for the pre-internet age along with forums and internal messaging and email. When the internet became more popular and user-friendly, that whole system has become redundant.

Maybe I'm right in that what I think of as AOL from the past doesn't indeed exist today? What do AOL provide today?

A quick search says AOL broadband is part of TalkTalk so even the internet connection they might have used to have provided (well, dial-up to their own servers with the possibility of accessing the outside internet) will now just be Talk Talk branded or AOL branded but really just Talk Talk.

Or do you guys just mean that you use AOL email as a legacy? I still use Tesco.net email but don't use Tesconet..

Marco
19-04-2014, 06:56
The broadband service may be controlled now by Talk Talk, Nat, but the support packages/browsers still exist. I currently use AOL Desktop 9.7 as my browser (preferring it to the most recent AOL version), with its built-in template, including email.

I like the rather 'homely' layout and user-friendliness of the AOL browser template, including the little mailbox at the top L/H side of the screen which informs me instantly when I have a new email, rather than having to log into an external service, before I can access my emails.

It suits me and I often don't suffer from some of the issues some folk do with other ISPs, such as the late notifications situation we had here recently.

Marco.

Joe
19-04-2014, 10:04
So it's not just me? Must be something in it then..

Well, they used to be everywhere falling out of every magazine since the beginning of the 90s as a kind of internet for the pre-internet age along with forums and internal messaging and email. When the internet became more popular and user-friendly, that whole system has become redundant.

Funnily enough, when AoL first arrived on the scene, its users were seen by experienced internet users as clueless n00bs, and the acronym AoL was translated as 'Assholes On Line'. Their particular foible was to append the two words 'I agree' to a lengthy post (after quoting the entire original post). Thus 'AoL' became internet shorthand for 'I agree'. Then WebTV users arrived and AoL users didn't seem so bad after all.

hifinutt
19-04-2014, 16:09
yes I have had loads of these emails from heathcote recently